VENT: What sucks about inside cabins

zekekelso

I live my life embracing the ‘less is more’ philosophy….less balconies = more cruising 😉. When I can convince my partner in crime we don’t need no stinkin balcony…we just book an additional cruise with the $$ we saved….and OMG…he sleeps so much longer so I can go up and watch the sunrise solo-style 😂😂. We are one of those ‘awful couples’ who scored diamond status in year by booking 8 short cruises in 2007 😎. Cruising for 40+ years (in all types of cabin categories)…we take what we can get!!! 

I have said this before, but I dont mind saying it again. We prefer inside cabins for many reasons having nothing to do with cost.

1.We love the dark cabin. On those rare occassions when we have been "forced" into balcony cabins  we  always bemoan the fact that we can never shut out the outside light.

2.In inside cabins the bed is perpendicular to the ship axis. That way in rougher seas we are rocked head to toe rather than being rolled out of bed by the side to side motion.

3.Generally with inside cabins the TV is at the foot of the bed rather than being way off to the side which makes uncomfortable viewing.

The vast majority of our 800 days at sea have been with inside cabins. We refuse any up grades.

Enjoy your balconies. They are just not for us.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spunks said:

I have said this before, but I dont mind saying it again. We prefer inside cabins for many reasons having nothing to do with cost.

1.We love the dark cabin. On those rare occassions when we have been "forced" into balcony cabins  we  always bemoan the fact that we can never shut out the outside light.

2.In inside cabins the bed is perpendicular to the ship axis. That way in rougher seas we are rocked head to toe rather than being rolled out of bed by the side to side motion.

3.Generally with inside cabins the TV is at the foot of the bed rather than being way off to the side which makes uncomfortable viewing.

The vast majority of our 800 days at sea have been with inside cabins. We refuse any up grades.

I don't need an inside cabin for darkness. I go to bed after it gets dark out and I get up before it gets light outside. 

I did have an issue once when the next door neighbors would leave their balcony light on all night. My room steward took care of that issue.

• Like 2

OMG! Here are my thoughts about inside cabins (tongue squarely in cheek)

1- I save a so much money on inside cabins..so I have to limit my round-the-world tours to twice a year

2- I bought a Pinacle pin on eBay and wear it the whole time

3- I bring a can of gold spray paint and spray my SeaPass first thing

4- I mention at the WJ and MDR that the menu at CK and specialty restaurants are just soooo BORING that I'm "mixing it up" 

5- I'm soooo disappointed with my Genie, I had to blow my own nose yesterday and I broke a nail!

6- The slide from our second floor to the first gave me a wedgie! (Oh the horror)

7- the community hot tub has much more interesting conversation then at my cabin

8- my balcony was so small I couldn't stretch out, so I had to come up to the pool deck

9- I had to close the curtains since that pesky sunlight was peeking through my eye mask

10- the conversation at the country club was hysterical when I told them how the "other-half" lives.

I could go on, but I'm sure by now I've offended half of CC!

• Haha 5

On 9/16/2021 at 4:29 PM, zekekelso said:

Thought we could collectively make a list of how mean RCI is to inside cabin customers. I’ll start

- No balconies 

No windows.We like to know what is going on outside.Somebody once said that we could walk out of the cabin ,go on deck and see what was going on.That makes no sense.

• Haha 1

I wish I could contribute to the fun....   but i can't.

I did an inside once, and it just wasn't for me,  haven't been back. I could tell you the reasons why, but you don't really wanna hear them lol

But I envy your savings, pride and kinship.  I'll admire from my corner. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

No windows.We like to know what is going on outside.Somebody once said that we could walk out of the cabin ,go on deck and see what was going on.That makes no sense.

There’s usually a bridge cam on one of the tv channels. I actually do this at home. My wife will ask if it’s raining and instead of doing the sensible thing - look out the window - I’ll call up the weather channel on my phone. There’s something very wrong with me. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

There’s usually a bridge cam on one of the tv channels. I actually do this at home. My wife will ask if it’s raining and instead of doing the sensible thing - look out the window - I’ll call up the weather channel on my phone. There’s something very wrong with me. 

Does your wife look out a window ?

20 hours ago, spunks said:

OVs are also like that.

But the one time I sailed in one, we did have heavy seas and it felt like I was being stood on my head. 😄

On 9/17/2021 at 5:29 PM, tserface said:

I always hear people, in "inside" cabins, say they are never in their rooms on a cruise anyway.  Maybe if they had a balcony they would enjoy their room more.  We love sitting on the deck or in the room with the door open.  

That said, it is more affordable to go inside so if you do a lot of cruises and are looking for a budget that would help.  One person on some forum today said they had over 16 cruises booked currently.  I can't wrap my head around the logistics of doing that.  We're doing extremely well if we can do 3 a year.  So, we enjoy the balcony.

My thoughts exactly.  I have mostly cruised in suites.  And we spent time on the balcony.  At least one morning on a sea day, breakfast on the balcony.  Night cap on the balcony.

I did one cruise in an OV, and yes, I spent a lot less time in the cabin.

I am more time limited than funds limited.  So suites for the one cruise per year.

And I cannot see having as many cruises booked in the period where the bookings are open as some people have.  I enjoy land trips also.  More than cruises. 

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, spunks said:

I tried to answer this, but it didn't show up so I'll try again.  I apologize if it posts more than one response.

I think your points are very valid and I appreciate you posting them.  I never thought about the things you say here, but I can totally understand why some people would prefer inside based on these ideas.

We don't really mind inside cabins, but with COVID looming we have decided to cruise in balconies because we want to be able to see, or get, outside in case we're ever quarantined.  I understand that's a little paranoid and it's probably just  a good excuse to us for getting balconies.

You idea about bed placement is true and an interesting thing I never thought about.

• Like 2

I had an inside cabin once. That was enough. Nothing like a small cabin with no view. Also tried boardwalk balcony once and no way would I do that again either. Zero privacy. I love going out on my balcony watching us pull into ports each morning. No need to get dressed and very private. I usually do not pay much more for a balcony. We cruise 2-3 times a year once u do a balcony it’s hard to go to anything else. I always hear people say I never use the balcony, who cares just to have the curtains open and see the ocean every time u r in the cabin is worth it alone. 

7 minutes ago, renza said:

I love going out on my balcony watching us pull into ports each morning. No need to get dressed and very private.

I hope you know that there are cameras that can see into all the balconies.  

The bridge crew probably gets an eye full every now and then.

18 minutes ago, renza said:

I had an inside cabin once. That was enough. Nothing like a small cabin with no view. Also tried boardwalk balcony once and no way would I do that again either. Zero privacy. I love going out on my balcony watching us pull into ports each morning. No need to get dressed and very private. I usually do not pay much more for a balcony. We cruise 2-3 times a year once u do a balcony it’s hard to go to anything else. I always hear people say I never use the balcony, who cares just to have the curtains open and see the ocean every time u r in the cabin is worth it alone. 

I had an inside once and said never again.I had a balcony twice and also said never again.My preference is a large picture window.

On 9/19/2021 at 2:55 PM, spunks said:

Not all insides are this way... some of them are in the center of the ship with a hallway that is perpendicular, so the beds are still inline with the axis.  Not that the big ships move all that much outside of hurricane season.

5 hours ago, SRF said:

My thoughts exactly.  I have mostly cruised in suites.  And we spent time on the balcony.  At least one morning on a sea day, breakfast on the balcony.  Night cap on the balcony.

I did one cruise in an OV, and yes, I spent a lot less time in the cabin.

That's the nice thing about personal choice... it's personalized!  I don't do any of those things (even when I'm in a room with a balcony), so they don't have value to me.  You do enjoy those things, so they have value to you.

I spend the same amount of time in the room whether I have an inside, oceanview, or balcony (CP or ocean).  

5 hours ago, SRF said:

I am more time limited than funds limited.  So suites for the one cruise per year.

It hasn't been this way in the past, but now I'm fortunate to have the ability to make my own schedule and travel between assignments. 

5 hours ago, SRF said:

And I cannot see having as many cruises booked in the period where the bookings are open as some people have.  I enjoy land trips also.  More than cruises. 

And again, a personal choice thing.  I fell in love with cruising back in the 1980s.  Both money and time prevented me from being able to cruise as much as I wanted to until now.  I could have taken "land trips" over the past two years, but my personal preference was to set the money aside and wait for cruising to be an option again.  There were no land trips that enticed me as much as cruising, so I just kept working instead of taking vacations, and I set that money aside for my upcoming cruises.

And even with going solo, I'm still only spending as much on 17 cruises as some couples spend on a suite.  

I always say that I think cruising can be a perfect vacation, because there's something for everyone.  If you want tons of activity all day and night, you can have that.  If you want to chillax in a pool lounger while someone brings you foo-foo drinks all day, you can do that.  If you want an affordable meals-and-lodging-and-entertainment included vacation, you can have that.  If you want a fancy pampered vacation with a fancy room and fancy spa treatments and fancy specialty dining, you can have that.  

Everyone gets to personalize their own cruise, even though we're all on the same ship.  

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 1