VENT: What sucks about inside cabins

zekekelso

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Trust me, I've never bumped my head on the cabin ceiling yet or felt cramped with just the two of us in the cabin, no matter the cabin type. My wife is 5'6".🤣

did I not say there are three of us, with the youngest rapidly approaching adult height? 🙂

We usually hit our heads on the upper bunk, though. LOL

• Haha 2

I always hear people, in "inside" cabins, say they are never in their rooms on a cruise anyway.  Maybe if they had a balcony they would enjoy their room more.  We love sitting on the deck or in the room with the door open.  

That said, it is more affordable to go inside so if you do a lot of cruises and are looking for a budget that would help.  One person on some forum today said they had over 16 cruises booked currently.  I can't wrap my head around the logistics of doing that.  We're doing extremely well if we can do 3 a year.  So, we enjoy the balcony.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tserface said:

I always hear people, in "inside" cabins, say they are never in their rooms on a cruise anyway.  Maybe if they had a balcony they would enjoy their room more.  We love sitting on the deck or in the room with the door open.  

That said, it is more affordable to go inside so if you do a lot of cruises and are looking for a budget that would help.  One person on some forum today said they had over 16 cruises booked currently.  I can't wrap my head around the logistics of doing that.  We're doing extremely well if we can do 3 a year.  So, we enjoy the balcony.

we try to get a balcony on Princess cruises, because they are usually on a boring side, especially if your kid will not leave your side and the cruise line doesn't really cater to families with kids in terms of activities. On RCI, though - lots of fun for the entire family and higher prices, so we usually end up in an inside cabin. If we do get to sail this November, it will be our very first time in a balcony cabin on RCI. 

We are lucky if we can go on 2 cruises per year, thanks to only being able to schedule them during school breaks. And hurricanes in summer.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

36 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

So you are sailing in an inside cabin on RCI, but you somehow have access to a balcony on a Princess ship? How’s that work? 

I am not sure I understand your question. I price shop and buy the best combination (price, ship, cruise line, destinations, cabin) that works for us. With the cabin type being the least important of all factors.

Usually prices are higher on RCI cruises, so we always end up getting an inside cabin. Our upcoming cruise is the very first one where we have a balcony on an RCI ship and it's only because covid hit, prices dropped, we got upgraded to a balcony and then L&Sed.

I've gotten lucky a couple of times with Princess cruise prices falling far below our original prices after final payment, so they usually upgrade us from an inside cabin to the most basic (read - obstructed) balcony they have. Or we may catch a great sale and buy an obstructed balcony to begin with, because the price difference between inside and balcony is negligible.

Prices tend to be lower on Princess cruises during the times we can cruise than they are on RCI, unless we hit a Kids Sail Free promotion (it happened twice in 7 years).

Some people got way to serious and did not understand the whole sarcasm of this thread...

My 2 cents....you can’t eavesdrop on the multiple conversations you really didn’t want to hear anyway on other balconies,  or the balcony guests that play their unwanted music really low so other balcony guests aren’t bothered by it. 

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tserface said:

We have 15+ in the books, but that'sthrough March 2023. Insides to full suites. All are good values. 

• Like 1

Personally I’ll take an inside room

over an ocean view anyday.  I love how dark inside rooms are and therefore how well I sleep.  If I can’t have a balcony (which at times I don’t want to afford) give me an inside room. And don’t try to be “nice” and give me an upgrade to OV. A filth water splashed window that’s in a odd place so I can’t even look out it, and I get no fresh air but only light, no thanks. 

• Like 1

My latest inside cabin atrocity.  I had booked a great bargain on Brilliance for an inside deck 4 cabin.  Convenient location, low noise area, great price.  Then our RCL friends decide to switch ships, and move my cabin.  Couldn't even keep me on a low deck, made me go to a deck 8 balcony.  I guess I can put up with it, but I sure will miss my dark hole in the bowels of the ship.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, gmerick said:

My latest inside cabin atrocity.  I had booked a great bargain on Brilliance for an inside deck 4 cabin.  Convenient location, low noise area, great price.  Then our RCL friends decide to switch ships, and move my cabin.  Couldn't even keep me on a low deck, made me go to a deck 8 balcony.  I guess I can put up with it, but I sure will miss my dark hole in the bowels of the ship.

Your last line is so.....poetic??

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, tserface said:

I usually do inside, but have also done Oceanview (window), Promenade (window), Central Park balcony, and Oceanview balcony rooms.  I have to "force" myself to look out the window or go out on the balcony. 

On a 7-day cruise, I *might* spend a grand total of 30-60 minutes on a balcony the entire week, and most of that time is hanging up wet clothes/swimwear to dry.  (I have magnetic hooks that I hang from the ceiling in the room to dry items that aren't actively dripping.)

If I'm going to be outside, I want easy access to a pool, hot tub, and bar.... you'll find me in the Solarium on a non-Oasis class ship, or under a covered part of the pool deck on an Oasis class ship.  (The Solarium on Oasis class ship is beautiful, but the lack of shade is a problem for a redhead.)  

5 hours ago, tserface said:

I have 17 booked from November 2021 to January 2023, and will probably add at least one more.  Of those, 13 are insides, one is an Oceanview balcony, and three are Central Park balconies.  I'm stringing cruises together in groups of B2B/S2S to limit my airfare/hotel costs, so those 17 cruises are only five actual trips. 

I'm planning on working a few contracts in between some of my trips, but I know i'm fortunate to be able to afford to cruise this much -- that wasn't the case in the past for me, and it won't always be the case going forward.  No vacations for two years due to COVID, plus lots and lots of hours worked during that time (I'm a nurse), means I have a healthy cruise fund saved up at the moment. 

The Double Points promotion that is currently running is an extra incentive to get in as many cruises as possible before the end of 2022 (I'll be adding 400 points by the end of these 17 cruises).  

• Like 5

On 9/16/2021 at 5:28 PM, pdawson30 said:

Exactly how much time does anyone spend awake in their room?

That is because you have a tiny cabin with no balcony. 😄

If you had a nicer room, maybe you would spend time there.  😄

• Like 2

On 9/16/2021 at 5:28 PM, pdawson30 said:

I wear it as a badge of pride when people are paying 4 x the price but we are basically getting 90% of the same cruise experience. Exactly how much time does anyone spend awake in their room?

Depends if you have an upside down pineapple on your stateroom door.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Let's admit the truth. What is really wrong with inside cabins is that they tend to be booked by people like me who can't afford outside or balcony cabins, or suites, which ruins cruising for the people who can.

Not true at all.