are they still running art auctions?

sunsetme

I personally hate the art auctions and couldn't imagine why they still held them.  Then a couple weeks ago I happened to be sitting off to the side in the Rendezvous Lounge while the auction was being held.  One person bought a piece of art for over $50,000.  Several people bought pieces in the $10,000 range, and several more bid prices in the $1000-$2000 range.  Given that, I would not expect art auctions to go away anytime soon!  I was honestly shocked beyond belief.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

To us, such a colossal waste of time, but of course to each their own.

I don't think it is a waste of time at all.  I don't attend, so none of MY time is wasted.  Except for the waste of paper advertising it, it doesn't bother me at all.  And it helps keep Trivia and Bingo from getting too crowded!

I do usually glance at the "art" being displayed.  I have on occasion asked one of the art staff for info on a print or etching that interested me.  About 30 years ago, I asked the staff (it was Park West at the time) to bring up for auction one piece in particular that I wanted to buy, and they brought it right up and held the auction then and there, minimizing the time wasted.  That Harold Altman piece is still on my wall.  And its beauty still helps me relax and visit Central Park in my mind!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I don't think it is a waste of time at all.  I don't attend, so none of MY time is wasted.  Except for the waste of paper advertising it, it doesn't bother me at all.  And it helps keep Trivia and Bingo from getting too crowded!

I do usually glance at the "art" being displayed.  I have on occasion asked one of the art staff for info on a print or etching that interested me.  About 30 years ago, I asked the staff (it was Park West at the time) to bring up for auction one piece in particular that I wanted to buy, and they brought it right up and held the auction then and there, minimizing the time wasted.  That Harold Altman piece is still on my wall.  And its beauty still helps me relax and visit Central Park in my mind!

Never attend, well I did once, hence why I know a waste of my time.  As I said to each their own.

Was on the Summit in August with only 300 on board. We were walking through the event when we heard a crew member explain to a passenger that because they must have a minimum number of participants to do it and they only had X number of people so far so it was cancelled.   So they still do them. It was just cancelled because of low participation. 

We don’t go to the actual auctions but do look through the art displayed.  If there is something we like, we buy it on the spot.  Once my husband saw something he liked, handed his credit card to the art person, told him to wrap it up as we were going in to dinner and we would see them when we came out!  We have 3 Anatole Krasnyansky’s hanging in the conference room at the office.  My husband bought a Coyote and Road Runner cel for his office.  And I discovered my favorite living artist on board a ship and bought two of his pieces, one for my living room and one for my office.  And since I’ve befriended him and his lovely wife.  I’ve purchased other items of his when not on a ship.  Check out Rob Kaz.  Totally self taught.  His art may not be for everyone but it always makes me smile.  FWIW - my favorite deceased artist is Claude Monet!

• Like 1

I don't like the auctions but I do like looking at the art. We bought a Sam Park many years ago on a cruise (outside of an auction). It's a nice way to find things you like and if you are careful you can get some decent deals. I did not buy it as an investment, but that piece is now worth over 3 times what we paid for it.

20 minutes ago, kearney said:

I wish they would introduce new artists rather than the same ones on all ships all the time.... Hard for young artists to break through and it would be nice to see new artists get some exposure.

My 3 year old granddaughter is pretty good, makes it on our walls 😄

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

My 3 year old granddaughter is pretty good, makes it on our walls 😄

I saw a dog do a pretty good job as well... but I have a few friends who have been working in the field for decades and it is really difficult to break out... just saying it would be nice to see some new artists... kinda tired of seeing the same Peter Max etc over and over again.

1 hour ago, CTKath said:

We don’t go to the actual auctions but do look through the art displayed.  If there is something we like, we buy it on the spot.  Once my husband saw something he liked, handed his credit card to the art person, told him to wrap it up as we were going in to dinner and we would see them when we came out!  We have 3 Anatole Krasnyansky’s hanging in the conference room at the office.  My husband bought a Coyote and Road Runner cel for his office.  And I discovered my favorite living artist on board a ship and bought two of his pieces, one for my living room and one for my office.  And since I’ve befriended him and his lovely wife.  I’ve purchased other items of his when not on a ship.  Check out Rob Kaz.  Totally self taught.  His art may not be for everyone but it always makes me smile.  FWIW - my favorite deceased artist is Claude Monet!

Hopefully not Park West  Ever Bought Artwork on a Cruise? Prepare to Be Seasick - Bloomberg

We boarded the Millennium yesterday and were told that there are between 600 to 700 passengers onboard.  As we were walking through the Rendezvous-vous on our way to lunch in Luminae Park West staff were clearly setting up an art auction.  As we were leaving lunch we could hear the auction patter on a mic.

6 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We boarded the Millennium yesterday and were told that there are between 600 to 700 passengers onboard.  As we were walking through the Rendezvous-vous on our way to lunch in Luminae Park West staff were clearly setting up an art auction.  As we were leaving lunch we could hear the auction patter on a mic.

I'm tempted to go just to watch the action but not to buy.  We already have enough quality art, most from the original artist.

Plus there's the free wine you can't get anywhere else, right?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Totally agree! After sitting through a few of them - that was enough. Interesting looking at the artwork on display, but I'd rather be out on the deck or on our balcony. 

Did you buy anything or just watch?  But what I really want to know  is, exactly how much of that cheap wine can I drink?

48 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Maybe not currently an issue but when sailing at full capacity it's annoying to have ever-shrinking public space closed off for auctions.

Do they tend to set up in the same place on each ship, or do they move around?