10:30 a.m. ORL flight - Port Canaveral

zoepipes

6 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but. . .sailing on Harmony out of Port Canaveral - do you think we could comfortably make a 10:30 a.m. flight if we're parked at the port?

Thats real tight.  The recommendation is arriving two hours before your flight and its a 45-50 + minute ride to the airport.   Im sure its been done though.  Stressing over missing a flight isnt how I would want to end my vacation.   

Edited by ryano
  • Like 2

Are you checking bags? I'm assuming it's a rental car? Do you have TSA?

I don't think I would. If you check bags you need to get there by 930. So that's getting off the ship no later than 8 when you add in customs, walking, and returning the rental car. 

If everything goes perfect it'd be ok...one thing not going great could miss your flight. Doors close around 15 mins earlier so 930 arrival gives you 45 mins to check a bag, go through TSA, and get to the gate. Possible if you have precheck - but better hope you don't need to use the restroom or anything. (The last few times I've flown lines have been long for everything terminal side.)

The two times I've recently gotten off in PC didn't take a lot of time if you had a passport, but both were on smaller ships than Harmony. It was at capacity of 1600 and 900. And we carried off for both.

Edited by smplybcause

No you will not be at ease to make a 10:30AM flight.  Remember all the Disney people will also be trying to get home. 10:30am flight is cutting it too close for me. 

How are you getting to the airport? That's the number one question. If you try this definitely hire a personal driver to get you from point A to point B. If anything happens on the freeway, they have driven it enough to know the short cuts.  

Do you have global entry? If not, if possible get it before your cruise. 

When are you cruising?  If it's any time around a holiday or school holiday, forget it. Book something later in the day. 

Now all the stars might align and you will not have any issues. How risky are you? Have a backup plan if your plan does not materialize.

Edited by cynt

MLB is closest.  When do you dock?  Is it weekend or week day?  On weekends, especially Sunday, I have found its slow going off of the ship due to lack of agents at port.  Are you in a suite? Do you have the Key? Will you sit in line for a couple of hours if allowed for self disembarking? 

The closest I ever did was a 930am out of SJU.  We docked at 6am.  We carried our own luggage out.  We were on the Celebrity Summit which is a smaller ship.  We got in the 1st taxi, had TSA,  and actually were in the terminal by 845am and boarded 15 minutes later.  Reason this happened was our flight time changed.  Yet ANOTHER reason why you dont lock your phone in the safe the entire cruise and you buy the wifi package.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but. . .sailing on Harmony out of Port Canaveral - do you think we could comfortably make a 10:30 a.m. flight if we're parked at the port?

No, I would not book this flight as the airports are crazy these days.  You also have a 45 minute drive to the airport if you are talking MCO.  You say you are going to be parked at the port.  If you have to return a rental car, that will add more time too.  If you are going to have a rental car to use before your cruise and rented in FL, I would suggest you do a one way rental and return the car prior to your cruise.  There are no one way fees in FL.  I would then use one of the many shuttles to the airport.  We prefer Cortans.  They are $25 pp and we have found they have newer, clean vehicles with drivers that don't play frogger all the way to the airport as another shuttle company does.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cynt said:

If you try this definitely hire a personal driver to get you from point A to point B. If anything happens on the freeway, they have driven it enough to know the short cuts.  

That's another issue. Once you commit to a road - you're pretty much SOL on alternatives if there's an accident or say a fire shuts down the road. There's essentially nothing between the port and Orlando so the exits are few and far between, and except for 1 or 2 options any other exit would at A LOT of time to get there. 

Edited by smplybcause

We have a 12:05pm  flight booked on May 1, 2022 off Harmony in PC. Private transportation booked for a pickup at 8:00am and staying in full suites hoping the concierge will aid us in getting off carrying our own luggage and still have our fingers crossed we'll make our flight (Global Entry) to get back to the west coast.

I would definitely NOT do it.   All you need is a delay of any kind in docking .. or disembarking .. or a backup on the highway.    But the main reason why I wouldn't attempt it is the security at MCO especially on weekends or cruise arrival days is horrible.    I just went through there this past SAT A.M. (around 9am) and was met with a huge wall of people waiting to get through security.   It was a slow moving mess.  Don't stress yaself after a nice trip .. book a later flight if possible!

22 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

No, I would not book this flight as the airports are crazy these days.  You also have a 45 minute drive to the airport if you are talking MCO.  You say you are going to be parked at the port.  If you have to return a rental car, that will add more time too.  If you are going to have a rental car to use before your cruise and rented in FL, I would suggest you do a one way rental and return the car prior to your cruise.  There are no one way fees in FL.  I would then use one of the many shuttles to the airport.  We prefer Cortans.  They are $25 pp and we have found they have newer, clean vehicles with drivers that don't play frogger all the way to the airport as another shuttle company does.

Thanks for Cortrans.  I've saved it to my spreadsheet for future reference next year.

• Like 1

First of all, road from Cape to MCO has lots of construction on it with single lanes for a mile or so.  Had one Avis checkin so backed up we were parked in the entrance.

Went through MCO four times in last month.  Airline checkin at several counters was backed up an hour or more twice.  TSA had long lines also twice.  Plus you have to take the people mover to your terminal.  We ran about 1.5 hours from rental car to gate three of those times.  Based on recent experience recommend arriving at MCO three hours before flight (10 if flying Spirit - saw that disaster).