The Daily for Sunday September 26, 2021

richwmn

5 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@rafinmd, I just read on another news feed Amtrak Empire Builder derailment yesterday afternoon In Montana. 3 dead💔.

It's really shocking about the derailment of this iconic line.  

@rafinmdRoy, I seem to recall you mentioning in the past that you have taken this journey across the country to join a cruise.  

Many prayers for those impacted by this accident.

• Like 18

I haven't seen anything from Bruno @atexsix since his brief post that he was released from the hospital and does have a diagnosis and treatment plan.  Should he be on our concerns list?  I will be more than happy to hear if I have just missed something, and he is actually off on the next adventure.

Thanks!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

I haven't seen anything from Bruno @atexsix since his brief post that he was released from the hospital and does have a diagnosis and treatment plan.  Should he be on our concerns list?  I will be more than happy to hear if I have just missed something, and he is actually off on the next adventure.

Thanks!

No, nothing.  But, Bruno rarely posted on the HAL board until he had a cruise in his future.  He might just have lost interest in CC now that his adventure is over and he’s recuperating?  At least, I hope that is the case.

But, he’s been tagged several times so it is a concern for sure.  Would be nice to know.

• Like 18

Good morning and thanks all!  My father was deaf,  so I have always been aware of the importance of this day.

@superomaThanks for the kind words,  it’s very frightening that so many including our government have not done what is needed to stay safe. 
@grapau27gotta love Sunday Carvery!  Yum!  
@Horizon chaser 1957those colours!  I saw a show on tv about blue dye,  it’s interesting.  Sending good wishes for your DH

We visited PEI eons ago, and stayed on a dairy farm near the sea.  DH and DS went fishing and brought home all kind of goodies. 

Definitely love rivers,  we went on a long trek to see a medicine wheel that may be older than Stonehenge yesterday,  This indigenous sacred site was used for alignment of stars and passage of time.  You could see for miles in all directions and a beautiful river valley.  

E469A186-9A64-427A-9613-35CD7BA8FA6E.jpeg

3F1B3F36-B0FE-467A-89D8-C28BF34EC8C8.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, superoma said:

Good Morning all. In honour of Johnny Appleseed day, I made an Apple streusel sheet pan cake yesterday and we spent the day with our two daughters and their families doing a wine tasting with charcuterie. So we covered daughters day and family day, too. We had a lovely afternoon and evening to be outside.

prayers to all on our cares list, and those involved in the train crash out west. Additionally, i am including my fellow Canadians in the province of Alberta. They are exploding with Covid cases, have requested medical help from the army and some hospitals are triaging patients. 

my toast to the celebration list will be with club soda tonight, sorry. Too much wine yesterday!

we enjoyed Charlottetown on the Maas dam in 2009.

be safe everyone and continue to mask up.

A264952D-C961-4FFC-827E-7A65E2D3B0B9.jpeg

99D4C4E6-E342-4298-9DE0-6C4487E07F66.jpeg

Thanks for your food photos today.  That streusel looks so good!  And the snacks look filling as well.  Glad you got to celebrate daughters and families!

• Like 12

Good Afternoon Everyone,  ran errands yesterday and went to a fund raising event for one of the local animal shelters.  Picked up a nice new catnip mat and Amelia quickly claimed it as hers.  Today we bought a small chest freezer to supplement the small one we got last month.  I tend to stock up when items are on sale so this will be a big help.  I enjoy today's port of call.  I was on the same excursion as Debbie and her sister.

@dfish

20180829_121350.thumb.jpg.18a90962b8f8f37d27dc5681dd955821.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

@Quartzsite Cruiser , @Crazy For Catsand @dfishthanks for posting your photos of Charlottetown, PEI.  The sunny day sure is pretty!

And @Horizon chaser 1957your latest work with the leaves on fabric looks nice.  You could use some of @ger_77's leaves, couldn't you?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all for the posts and pictures. Especially like the quotes (esp. today), the ports and memories. Celebrating daughters day yesterday and today! In new “collared” shirts, DH and I took the three grands and DD and DSIL to the driving range yesterday. Great fun! DD swung a golf club for the first time ever, we apologized for forgetting to introduce golf to her while she was growing up. Today, we will sew, as she makes many little Hawaiiana dresses for DGD and I will shorten and take in the golf shirt (had to buy a boys’ shirt for DGD) as the shirt is a bit long and could use a dart or two. It will be a lazy day as we have a few more days in Kona for exploring new beaches and historical sites and a return trip in October. Thankful! 

6C2701AF-B455-4DF7-8520-47043298A035.jpeg

• Like 21

My DS and DDIL both tested negative but my DGD has joined her twin in a positive covid result.DDIL says they are both very tired and achy but otherwise doing well. We  all hope their symptoms  remain manageable .They will all be home for 10 days .

Again thanks to all for your prayers and kind thoughts.

Terry

• Like 10
  • Thanks 11

13 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

My DS and DDIL both tested negative but my DGD has joined her twin in a positive covid result.DDIL says they are both very tired and achy but otherwise doing well. We  all hope their symptoms  remain manageable .They will all be home for 10 days .

Terry

Have to edit because the text of my post disappeared.  

To Terry, glad to hear the whole family didn't get it.  The kids will do well I'm sure.  Just hard for the adults to stay home from their jobs, but it has to be done.  

I was outside looking at my neighbor's muhly grass which turns purple in the fall.  The sun in the western sky makes the purple come alive and glow. 

enhance

They planted it at the top of the slope behind them a couple of years ago.  They were only 10 to 12 inches high at the time.  The golf cart path and tee boxes are at the bottom of the slope.  Bet it looks nice from down there!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry

Good news on your DS & DDIL but so sad for your DGD. 😢. Hope they recover quickly and feel much better soon 🙏🏻 

@mamaofami& @Sharon in AZit appears that CC  likes Safari again. 🤞 it holds.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We were in Charlottetown, PEI on September 2, 2009 on the Eurodam sailing from New York to Quebec City.  My DM was with Craig and I on that cruise.  That day we walked around and had lunch.

Docking:

IMG_0992.thumb.JPG.516d5d65a70c1ab54a4c6f3920e601bb.JPG

IMG_0996.thumb.JPG.82d5eebb23c34833dbe5937c362d0952.JPG

IMG_0997.thumb.JPG.ec11e52183dbedf5110c6c9bc48627fb.JPG

View from the ship, you can see St Dunstan's Basilica:

IMG_0994.thumb.JPG.1defb5d0c3732889b8e22c92d40e2d29.JPG

We happened upon some dancers.  I believe their name is on the banner in the background:

IMG_1004.thumb.JPG.e335c7a81b3bab6cac1a837d62f5a1aa.JPG

IMG_1005.thumb.JPG.77974c190281faf2c59d05942afef816.JPG

This is so cool:

IMG_1006.thumb.JPG.abe759a18ab195b36d033f3e58f376a2.JPG

IMG_1007.thumb.JPG.b4b3a7b41f3ce9bda116902c6ab6bcb2.JPG

St Dunstan's Basilica:

IMG_1016.thumb.JPG.a0ff793ba746e7097ee3c31868ba971f.JPG

IMG_1009.thumb.JPG.5f1579f59791b30ed60b7261b7e23048.JPG

IMG_1012.thumb.JPG.6ff429d5180bc2f5eaac9098886df8ee.JPG

IMG_1013.thumb.JPG.2ddd97c13215439fb14e4b16b5f392d2.JPG

IMG_1014.thumb.JPG.569ecb9561c142fc92d5f77be0c2c47f.JPG

IMG_1015.thumb.JPG.3f4ba5de9546a21473be1702943a4156.JPG

We happened upon this Irish pub and had to take a picture for my Irish boss at the time:

IMG_1018.thumb.JPG.a4c6fb45bc54f294b119ccc1383cd22a.JPG

This is where we ate lunch, it's no longer there though:

IMG_1008.thumb.JPG.4783088ca1afd67b6adf82c4e219f359.JPG

I guess I wasn't into taking pictures of food yet so just have this of us:

IMG_1021.thumb.JPG.7d170b22496eaa963c80e456e48b21e3.JPG

Our view from the patio of the restaurant:

IMG_1019.thumb.JPG.0834a925b56d90a1233f433460b633e9.JPG

IMG_1022.thumb.JPG.1fd3e4de035a082058de2d17f93f1113.JPG

Sunset after sail away:

IMG_1031.thumb.JPG.4ece15f3c405ecc745bc8a7d46f02777.JPG

IMG_1040.thumb.JPG.a37f63687c1e39bac199dfb12dad5747.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Had a very busy mid day but that's common on Sundays. 

Today's sunrise is from my 2017 Oosterdam cruise from Vancouver to San Diego.  On September 26 we visited Victoria.  The day turned out much nicer than it appeared at dawn.

dawn0926.jpg

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

It's really shocking about the derailment of this iconic line.  

@rafinmdRoy, I seem to recall you mentioning in the past that you have taken this journey across the country to join a cruise.  

Many prayers for those impacted by this accident.

Yes, I've ridden that train many times, most recently enroute to the Oosterdam about this time 4 years ago.  In fact my alternate menu suggestions from last Tuesday to Thursday came from the Empire Builder.  Sad news for all concerned and that includes a those planning on using the train the next several days.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I  have been to Charlottetown twice but it's been a number of years.  The first was a land trip in 1995 and rented a car and went over on the Nova Scotia ferry, spent a couple of nights there and returned to New Brunswick on the ferry where the bridge is now.  This is before we had digital cameras and I have no photos, but I expect the rural areas have changed a lot since then.

The second was a cruise on Blount Small Ship Adventures tiny Grande Caribe in 2010.  Blount often docked at marinas but in Charlottetown we used the cruise terminal and it really dwarfed the ship:

IMG_2358.thumb.JPG.2b696a15061d1e287612491b95862e55.JPG

This was before HAL was really on my radar but I was impressed by a picture of the Crystal Symphony docked there.

IMG_2360.thumb.JPG.7dac248f78f230e096f7349da6c426d8.JPG

You might find a BHB pictured there if you look.  Charlottetown is the Provincial Capital and this is the legislative building:

IMG_2356.thumb.JPG.81bdc8e69640b2602d572cae81f2aabf.JPG

It was a Sunday and i worshiped at Trinity Church (United Church of Canada), dating back to 1864.

IMG_2357.thumb.JPG.0ff1b8713029ffd039088f0b88b2b3a1.JPG

Roy

• Like 19

Good afternoon everyone. Both of the meals  look very good as long as I am not the one that has to cook.

Finally got my Rapid Covid test booked for 10/08. Now keeping fingers crossed that the test is negative and I can actually get on the Kdam on 10/10. I have had either 5 or 6 cruises cancelled/rolled over and I am almost afraid to get really excited.

I visited Prince Edward Island on the Maasdam in Oct. 2009, on the Veendam in Sept. 2012 and on the Zuiderdam in Sept. 2017. The first 2 with my hubby, the 3rd I was a solo. Did HAL excursions all 3 times. and saw the Anne of Green Gables homestead twice. One of my favorite things was having lunch at The Prince Edward Island Preserve Company. By far and away the best lobster meal I ever had and so large I was unable to finish it. Gift shop and grounds were very interesting. Sorry I have no photos that I can post. again 

• Like 18

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Have to edit because the text of my post disappeared.  

To Terry, glad to hear the whole family didn't get it.  The kids will do well I'm sure.  Just hard for the adults to stay home from their jobs, but it has to be done.  

I was outside looking at my neighbor's muhly grass which turns purple in the fall.  The sun in the western sky makes the purple come alive and glow. 

enhance

They planted it at the top of the slope behind them a couple of years ago.  They were only 10 to 12 inches high at the time.  The golf cart path and tee boxes are at the bottom of the slope.  Bet it looks nice from down there!

Love pink mulhy grass. I had it in my backyard in Maryland and was so excited to see it growing down here in Florida. It is so graceful when blowing in the breeze. And even after it loses its color, adds some interest to the landscape. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Love pink mulhy grass. I had it in my backyard in Maryland and was so excited to see it growing down here in Florida. It is so graceful when blowing in the breeze. And even after it loses its color, adds some interest to the landscape. 

I was calling it purple but it does look rather pink in that photo.  Whatever color, it's so pretty this time of year.

• Like 5

I have been so busy. My son was a big help. We found the spot that some material had come loose on the roof and were able to patch it, winterized two RVs, removed and stored the AC, moved two boats from the river up to where they will stay for the winter, did grocery shopping, watched the stars, talked and got so much done it was nice. 

Wow, thirteen days until we leave? I am going to start getting excited as soon as I rest up from all the chores this weekend.

Thanks everyone. 

• Like 16

30 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I was calling it purple but it does look rather pink in that photo.  Whatever color, it's so pretty this time of year.

Sandi, it definitely has a violet/magenta color when it first blooms. The color gradually fades. But for some reason it is called Pink Mulhy grass. I love how showy it is when planted in a row. A town just North of me has it planted in large quantities along the median of its divided main thoroughfare and it is gorgeous. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

I have been so busy. My son was a big help. We found the spot that some material had come loose on the roof and were able to patch it, winterized two RVs, removed and stored the AC, moved two boats from the river up to where they will stay for the winter, did grocery shopping, watched the stars, talked and got so much done it was nice. 

Wow, thirteen days until we leave? I am going to start getting excited as soon as I rest up from all the chores this weekend.

Thanks everyone. 

WOW! You have been busy. But now it's all done and you can enjoy packing, planning and finally cruising. Rest well.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I'm getting so tired of CC not allowing me to post from my Ipad in my family room as I drink my morning coffee. Actually, that's not entirely true. It allows me to write but it comes out above the first thread of this topic. UGH. No way to fix it.

11 hours ago, kazu said:

Glad it helped Sharon. 🤙  I’ve had it with deleting cookies, history and logging in and out.  I’m using google until safari and CC get along.  It was fine yesterday and then this morning the same crap again so back to Chrome I went.

I use Chrome on both my iPhone and iPad. CC had been working for a while (a week?) on both but I think I jinxed myself. This afternoon CC would not let me “like” on my iPhone even after refreshing. So I cleared cookies and history. Then I couldn’t log on at all. Switched to my iPad. It works fine… so far 🤞

Just checked my iPhone. I had to log in but I can “like” now. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Good afternoon everyone. Both of the meals  look very good as long as I am not the one that has to cook.

Finally got my Rapid Covid test booked for 10/08. Now keeping fingers crossed that the test is negative and I can actually get on the Kdam on 10/10. I have had either 5 or 6 cruises cancelled/rolled over and I am almost afraid to get really excited.

I visited Prince Edward Island on the Maasdam in Oct. 2009, on the Veendam in Sept. 2012 and on the Zuiderdam in Sept. 2017. The first 2 with my hubby, the 3rd I was a solo. Did HAL excursions all 3 times. and saw the Anne of Green Gables homestead twice. One of my favorite things was having lunch at The Prince Edward Island Preserve Company. By far and away the best lobster meal I ever had and so large I was unable to finish it. Gift shop and grounds were very interesting. Sorry I have no photos that I can post. again 

I believe you came on at least one excursion with-us on  that Maasdam cruise. We have done so many of those Canada repositioning cruises;  one from Florida and the rest from Montreal or Quebec City. Would love to do another one.

Wishes all is well with you!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 7