The Daily for Sunday September 26, 2021

richwmn

Today is Johnny Appleseed Day, Shamu the Whale Day, National Situational Awareness Day, World Deaf Day, and World Rivers Day

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain

Meal suggestion for today - Garlic & Herb Turkey Roulade

Drink of the Day - Tschunk

Wine of the day - Robert Oatley 2017 Shiraz (McLaren Vale) South Australia

Destination of the Day - Charlottetown Prince Edward Island Canada

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Juneau

Limassol, CY
Eurodam 07:00 - 24:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination Ensenada MX eta 9/26

Corfu GR
Volendam Operations off coast
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Zuiderdam

Long Beach
Noordam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage
Rotterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

0926Europe.thumb.png.0f5421e75d173108afaa20b3db3710c7.png

0926NAmerica.thumb.png.2152ded245669267db5b6afd82a4b6fe.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  What a great group of days; my favorite is probably situational Awareness.  I love the Mark Twain quote.  I've been to Charlottetown a couple of times but never on a large cruise ship.  The meal sounds great.  My alternative is Strawberry Bisque, Boston Lager Flat Iron Steak, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Oosterdam September 26, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/dishes26.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Sam in rehab an hour away from home but doing well
Sharon’s young friend Jakob recovering at home from Covid
Smitty34877's DGS with pediatric covid
Tuesday colonoscopy prep for Jazzyv
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruising-along on Eurodam
NextOne helping with family move
Jajmd on Nieuw Amsterdam
Welcome home Overhead Fred
Ger-77 DH band
Icand9223 away on river cruise
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I hope Cruise Critic lets me post, it's so frustrating when it doesn't.

Interesting collection of days.  I love apples so I salute Johnny Appleseed.  Situation Awareness Day reminds us about personal safety.   I tried to learn sign language many years ago, but I didn't keep up with it and have forgotten most of it now.  Rivers are so important.   And as far as Shamu the Whale Day, I think whales should be left in the oceans, not put in small tanks to entertain people.

Love the quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, but hubby wants to bbq some burgers.  Yum.

Hope the drink and wine are good.

I have been to Charlottetown many years ago but not on a cruise.  I think I need to go back.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  I hope @smitty34877DGS recovers quickly.   Glad to hear that @Sharon in AZfriend Jakob is home.

Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Sunday.  Stay safe.

• Like 28

Morning Rich - you have outdone yourself with today’s Daily’s selection of Days to celebrate.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! @Sharon in AZ- wonderful news about Jakob. Praying for @smitty34877’s DGS, hope he recovers quickly!

An early busy start. Heading off to the gym and food shopping. Will check in later. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Robert Oatley 2017 Shiraz (McLaren Vale) South Australia

This bold red wine has excellent ratings and a reasonable price. Several online distributors with prices starting at $17.99.

Winemaker Notes

#97 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Soft, fleshy-textured Shiraz displaying blueberries and spice, supple tannins and stylish French oak influence.

WW91 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: The 2017 Robert Oatley Signature Shiraz is bright and sassy. TASTING NOTES: This wine brings savory spices, ripe and black fruits, and a note of herbs onto the palate. Serve it with a well-seasoned lamb stew. (Tasted: August 3, 2020, San Francisco, CA)

WE90 Wine Enthusiast: The Oatley reds are often tightly wound, even austere, at first. But give this wine time in a glass or decanter and it becomes a much more vibrant and elegant drop. Plums, brambly berries, dark chocolate and licorice are backed by earthy, savory spices. Power and elegance play together, wound by dusty, savory tannins. The oak gets a touch bitter at the finish, but overall this is a balanced and restrained bottling. Drink now–2027.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone and thanks for today’s report.  Lots of days today, thank goodness for Johnny Appleseed and who can forget Shamu.  Not sure what the next one is.  We should all be more aware of the deaf and their world.  The world’s rivers are fascinating.  Great quote by Mr. Twain.  I’ll pass on today's dish but I must say that the grilled drumsticks from yesterday were delicious.  Charlottetown is a lovely place that we visited on the Veendam in 2013.  Apparently I need to return to take photos.  Prayers to everyone on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today..

• Like 28

Good morning.  Very early morning here in San Diego.  This has been one of those "Golden Girls Rerun Nights."   🤪

But good collection of days -- all interesting.  Somewhere around here I have a photo of being kissed by Shamu at Sea World when I was about 20 years old.  They obviously don't do that stunt anymore.  Mark Twain is a big favorite.  Any quote from him is most welcome.  I never order turkey things, so will have to go with Roy's flatiron steak today.  That sounds quite nice.

I hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.  Thank you to all those who contribute each day here to the Daily.  Prayers and hugs.  😊  🍂  🍁

• Like 28

What a large selection of days today Rich thank you.

Thank you for the care list's and celebrations Roy.

I mentioned the care list's during my prayers this morning at church.

I like apples so appreciate todays day.

Sea world made Orca famous.

My sympathies for anyone who is deaf.

Our rivers are so important.

Very true quote.

Nice food and drink.

Never been to today's port so photos welcome.

It is 66°F cloudy and we are just about to eat lunch.

Take care.

Graham.

1632655317473427491811817104647.jpg

16326553462615247755116138278506.jpg

• Like 34

Good Sunday morning.  Great group of days.  And the quote needs to be said over and over for some of the younger generation.  The meal sounds good.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Tschunk:

The  Tschunk cocktail is a German highball consisting of Club-Mate and gold rum. It is usually served with limes and cane or brown sugar. Like Club-Mate, the Tschunk is a typical drink within European hacker culture and can often be found at scene typical events or locations of hacker culture.
INGREDIENTS
60 ml/ 2 oz. gold rum
1 fresh lime (cut into wedges)
1 teaspoon cane sugar
Club-Mate
crushed ice

METHOD
Dice limes, put them together with the brown sugar into a high glass and crush both.
Add crushed ice and pour the rum and the Club Mate over it.
Serve with a straw.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 7.31.39 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

We returned to cruising in 2015 and Charlettetown PEI was our first port after leaving Quebec City. I remember waking to see us sail under the Confederation Bridge from our verandah. I had broken my ankle three months prior and wasn't up for the driving vacation to Maine we had planned. Ankle healed fine but chronic damage to leg due to ortho's lack of post surgery care. Enjoyed our one and only sailing on the Veendam.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I'm getting so tired of CC not allowing me to post from my Ipad in my family room as I drink my morning coffee. Actually, that's not entirely true. It allows me to write but it comes out above the first thread of this topic. UGH. No way to fix it.

I have two beautiful and very accomplished daughters who I love very much. One lives nearby and has been an incredible help these last 4 months. The other lives in NY and has traveled to the rehab to see Sam several times and stayed over at a hotel near there in PA.

We've been to PEI several times, eating lobster, oysters and clams at a small restaurant I've promised some well know CCer to never disclose because it's so tiny. It's in walking distance from the pier though.

Sam comes home in 5 more days and I can'[t wait and neither can he. It's been a long haul.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 35

Good Sunday morning!

As usual, I've been reading everyone's posts, and feeling the love shared within (and without!) our Daily family.  Love the collection of days, not interested in the drink or meal, but @rafinmd's alternate sounds delicious! Also, Graham and Pauline @grapau27your meals always look so beautiful!

We were in Charlottetown in 2010 on the Eurodam.  We took a trolley(?) ride seeing the beautiful homes. 

DSCN4002.thumb.JPG.4c4154d5fa82cddf106fa94099f126b6.JPG

DSCN4031.thumb.JPG.4f8b5cadb18dea586051ecedc6a7f7c9.JPG

DSCN4035.thumb.JPG.50db2aa8d052dc5b2c93722811e739b5.JPG

We didn't go to the Anne of Green Gables house, believe it or not I never read the book!  This was our weather affected cruise - we had to stay in Charlottetown overnight instead of sailing to Sydney, due to Hurricane Igor coming through. I did get a nice photo of sunset over Charlottetown.

DSCN4056.thumb.JPG.7fa9439adf3a0463db5211886d503ca1.JPG

When we left the next morning we were hit by a following low pressure system, with extreme waves and wind....I was in the Crow's Nest that morning, and a wave broke on the windows up there!!

DSCN4107.thumb.JPG.ccdd2b5102951192959f6ae30d3f1ba4.JPG

By mid-afternoon things had calmed down, and the rest of the cruise was uneventful.

Prayers for everyone on our Care list, especially @smitty34877's DGS with Covid.  Cheers for our Celebration list, including @Sharon in AZ's Jakob home from the hospital and recovering.  Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Laura

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s a cool morning and supposed to be sunny later.

I had Turkey last night from a country church drive thru dinner, lots of leftovers,

Our Nieuw Statendam is back tomorrow in PEV and according to the schedule October 5-8 and the 18th.🎉🚢.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists 🙏❤️

• Like 23

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Great collection of days. Love the quote and agree with @summer slope. The meal sounds good.

@Sharon in AZso glad Jakob is home.

@smitty34877praying your DGS has a mild case and is up and running about very soon. Also praying the rest of the family tests negative and stays well. 

Meeting friends for lunch at noon then home to watch football and continue on our projects.

Wishing everyone a blessed Sunday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

Wow, we sure do have a lot to celebrate today!   I think there must be a day for everyone. 

Thank you @Sharon in AZfor letting  us know that Jakob is home.  How wonderful!  

Today's meal is an interesting one.  I would probably stick with the traditional full turkey for the holidays, but for those who just buy a turkey breast, it is an alternative way of preparing it.  Here is a step by step recipe on how to prepare the turkey roulade with pictures:   https://pinchandswirl.com/turkey-roulade-garlic-herbs/

Slow-Roasted-Turkey-Roulade-4501.thumb.jpg.ac071e534164c2b508f3816d1b53c5ef.jpg

Then, we have the Ina Garten inspired version:   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/tuscan-turkey-roulade-7932268

garlic_herb_turkey_roulade-1.thumb.jpg.1b0fd355b310b36342bb196a4f1666e4.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

We visited Charlottetown in 2018 on a B2B Canada/New England cruise.   We booked the Fun with Falcons excursion and really enjoyed it.  Everyone got the chance to hold a falcon or other bird of prey.  Then, we went outside and we all got to call the bird back to us by holding a small piece of quail meat. 

20180829_144707075_iOS.thumb.jpg.a87b142ba5d346124156a970cf23990c.jpg

20180829_151011225_iOS.thumb.jpg.0a5c63ea6f024075b939f78946dd9de9.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning all!  Thanks to @richwmnfor our Daily and thanks also to @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all and most especially @smitty34877's DGS with his case of Covid.  I hope the rest of the family stays healthy.  Cheers for our Celebration list especially little Jakob who is well enough to go home from the hospital.  I also just heard the news about the Amtrak train derailment near Joplin, Montana.  Three dead.  Prayers for all the dead and injured in that horrific derailment.  I can't imagine...

So many exciting days to celebrate today.  I am a fan of them all!  I was checking up on the "National Days List" and saw that today is also National Family Day.  One of the best days to celebrate in my opinion.  That list also said yesterday was National Daughters Day, but I think we can celebrate daughters (and families) every day!  As for the quote, I love it as I do all Twain quotes.  The drink - uh, no.  I wouldn't mind having a turkey roulade today.  The photos look good to me.  And I wish I'd been in Charlottetown, PEI as we were scheduled to in 2018.  The weather on our New England cruise was not good near Charlottetown and our Captain had to skip it.  That was a major disappointment.  I have it on my bucket list and intend to get there somehow.

@grapau27thank you for mentioning our Care list at prayers in church today.  And with that amazing lunch you had, I'm not sure you will have room to eat dinner this evening.  I know I wouldn't!  Looked delicious, though.

@HeartgroveI'm sorry to hear about your leg damage after breaking your ankle and lack of care from your orthopedic doctor.  That is such a terrible situation that could well have been avoided.  Heartbreaking!

@kpladythank you for the lovely photos of your stop in Charlottetown.  Sorry about the Sydney stop but we are at the mercy of Mother Nature sometimes, as most of us have had that situation happen to us on our cruises.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the Daily. I want to thank all of you who sent prayers and good wishes for DGS.He is feeling lousy today but is well taken care of. @Sharon in AZ,so glad the young man is home  and doing better. Thanks to  so many:  @StLouisCruisers@kazu, @ger_77, @Vict0riann,  @Ancient Wanderer, @grapau27, @dfish, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @JazzyV, @kplady @cat shepard @ger_77 and everyone I may have missed.

I will celebrate  daughter's  day gladly today. and everyday.We have been to the port twice and  toured PEI in a rental car.It is such a beautiful  place. 

Have a wonderful  day everyone. I loved the band pictures  yesterday as well as the port pictures. 

Terry

• Like 29

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

Great selection of days and the quote by Mark Twain is spot on. 

Have not posted in a few days, have read the wonderful posts but didnt really have anything to say.

Played golf in an unplanned tournament yesterday. My nephew called me in a rush to say they needed a lady for their foursome.  They were playing by some new rule and they didnt realize they needed a lady for their foursome. Anyway after a few minutes, I decided why not. Had a great time. My nephew and his buddies were a lot of fun and treated me like a queen.

Prayers for everyone whether on the list or not.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 30

43 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

We've been to PEI several times, eating lobster, oysters and clams at a small restaurant I've promised some well know CCer to never disclose because it's so tiny. It's in walking distance from the pier though.

As I look through our photos from PEI, they are mostly food pictures! And we know the place that you are referencing and it is quite good and very busy. Also, there was a shop in town that made poffertjes (the lovely Dutch treat) fresh while you waited and had wonderful coffee as well. That is all they served as I recall. The last time we were there, the shop was gone.

• Like 22