Jewelry. Do you take your wedding ring/engagement ring?

I'm in the why have it if you don't ware it group.  We take jewelry and watches  on cruise and were them.  We also have a home in Mexico and wear them in town as well.  All are insured and unless you are walking down a dark street at 2am, you are safe

Love wearing my jewelry when I cruise. Every year I have a quest to find a certain piece. Funny it makes saying no a lot easier when pursuing something special. Sometimes I’ll spin my rings to my palms to hide the stones when I first walk into a store, it helps keep the swarms away!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

I have a 2 ct solitaire engagement ring plus other expensive pieces but I wear them everywhere.  Mine is also worth a "crap ton" but I have it to wear.   Otherwise, why own it?

I mean she doesn't not wear it. It's worn more often than not. But when you're putting on sunscreen and in and out of water all crap that gets the ring dirty...meh I don't think I'd wear it either. 

• Like 1

I'm about to go on a couple cruises and am debating this as well. Do I wear my stuff?? I have a slightly different perspective because I am a jeweler. We are privy to behind the scenes crime info across the US as it pertains to jewelry. Not to scare anyone, but it's getting ridiculous. I probably will NOT wear my things in major US cities as crime rings are specifically targeting people with "blingy" jewelry -they don't know if it's fake or not, so why subject yourself to a potential violent robbery for cubic zirconia?? They are also looking for Rolexes on wrists. Again, I see tons of counterfeits, and they don't know the difference.  I don't know how things are in the islands, but if it's this bad in the US, I imagine it's similar there. This is not to scare people, just to share what I've been reading in Jewelers Security Alliance reports. Please be aware and make your own decision.

As far as wearing jewelry on the ship, I imagine that's fine. However, PLEASE do NOT leave your pieces out in your cabin though! My mother who assumed nothing bad ever really happens had an entire roll of jewelry- mix of real and "fun" stolen. She brought 4 (!), and thought she must have left one at home. Didn't tell my Dad a thing. He assumed she put it away and didn't say anything when they returned to their cabin after dinner.  When she got home and realized she didn't leave roll #4 at home, she told my Dad what happened. Sure enough, it seems the cabin steward couldn't resist temptation. This was on a Crystal cruise by the way about 4 years ago. 

9 hours ago, smplybcause said:

I mean she doesn't not wear it. It's worn more often than not. But when you're putting on sunscreen and in and out of water all crap that gets the ring dirty...meh I don't think I'd wear it either. 

Easily cleaned with clarifying shampoo and warm water.

Well, as a rule of thumb, I never bring anything of major value on any trip and neither does my wife.  Getting blinged up with fancy jewelry is not our thing, and don't find it necessary since who are we trying to attract?  My wedding ring hasn't been off since it was put on, and honestly, it's not really worth that much in cash value, and neither is my wife's.  Engagement rings etc, stay home. Most my wife has is some ear studs and not really worried about loosing $25.  

7 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Well, as a rule of thumb, I never bring anything of major value on any trip and neither does my wife.  Getting blinged up with fancy jewelry is not our thing, and don't find it necessary since who are we trying to attract?  My wedding ring hasn't been off since it was put on, and honestly, it's not really worth that much in cash value, and neither is my wife's.  Engagement rings etc, stay home. Most my wife has is some ear studs and not really worried about loosing $25.  

I think the point was, some of us wear on cruises what we wear at home that just happens to be valuable.  Sorry, but that's what I own.  It's more than some people own, but less than some others.  One thing we do in the Caribbean is shop for jewelry.  Depending on the port and excursion, I've only worn my diamond wedding band and watch ashore on occasion.  We use the safe for cash, jewelry and passports.  That's what it's there for.  I never understand people who don't use the safe.

As for people talking about wearing "fakes".   I don't get that.  Because if you're afraid of being robbed, no one confronting you is going to know what you have is fake just by looking so you're not lowering any risk.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Why have jewelry if you're afraid to wear it. The wife always blings out on a cruise. Never an issue in 150+ voyages.

Exactly.  If one isn't going to enjoy jewelry when traveling, what is it for, wearing to the grocery at home?

• Like 1

Wow! You would think that people on these islands are just pulling up on people and robbing them on the streets. What do you do at home stay confined to your neighborhood and if you go outside of that comfort zone switch to you fake stuff just in case you might get robbed then put the good stuff back on when you get back home??? I always laugh when I’m looking at the news and something happened in a so called upscale neighborhood in suburbia and they being saying we didn’t think nothing like this could happen here. Use street smart people and don’t be walking down alleyways or off the beaten path side streets, etc and stay with the crowds. If something is going to happen it’s going to happen because it does not matter that you have fine jewelry on or not. If you look touristy a person looking for trouble figure you have money or something anyway. 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

When does she wear the real stuff?

Laura would be proud of me....having way too much OBC on last week's cruise (big price drop after final)....I bought a nice new "bling" of a watch at Regalia luxury watches shop on board.  😁🤑

• Like 1

I am a big jewerly wearer (and buyer lol) and I bring it ALL on vacation with me, because, as others have stated, why have it?  The expensive pieces are insured if something happens, but I bring it all and wear it.  I do put it in the room safe of course, and I don't necessariy wear anything super blingy in port, depending on what we plan to do.  (My husband is a diver and so far has lost 2 wedding rings in various sbodies of water lol....the lost rings were fairly inexpensive but he wears silicone rings now!)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cruiser1862 said:

I never gave this any thought, but I recently read somewhere that people don’t take their wedding rings and engagement rings on cruises. We’re going to eastern and western Caribbean. We don’t scuba dive or snorkel. Mostly go to local beaches/beach clubs and bars near ports. I never take my rings off. Now I’m debating whether or not to take them. 

We never wear any rings or jewelry off of the ship in any port of call, and only wear our rings and DW only wears her jewelry on formal nights.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bigque said:

Wow! You would think that people on these islands are just pulling up on people and robbing them on the streets.

Had a really close friend that was robbed and shot for his watch (fortunately he survived) in one of those ports of call, so yes some people on those islands ARE just pulling up on people and robbing them.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Had a really close friend that was robbed and shot for his watch (fortunately he survived) in one of those ports of call, so yes some people on those islands ARE just pulling up on people and robbing them.

I am sorry to hear that I really am and that is bad but truth of reality is that that happens on streets even in the good old USA not just on islands in the Caribbean. 

Edited by bigque
  • Like 4

Just now, bigque said:

I am sorry to hear that I really am and that is bad but truth reality is that that happens on streets even in the good old USA not just on islands in the Caribbean. 

Totally agree there!  Every one loves Orlando...Disney...theme parks...cute little animated creatures...all rainbows and happiness...families go there in droves!  

We live just 25 miles from the "land of the mouse".   Every morning on local TV there is the usual report of a robbery, rape, drive by shooting, murder...etc. in Orlando.   But the tourists still go there. 

We are simply very aware of our surroundings (most important), and avoid walking around at night...and suspicious areas.  Momma tells us...avoid dark alleys.  😉 

• Like 2