The Daily for Wednesday 04/13/2022

richwmn

Today is International Plant Appreciation Day, National Bookmobile Day, and Scrabble Day

You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not.--Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper

Meal Suggestion for today - egg drop soup
Drink of the Day - Spicy Cucumber Margarita
Wine of the Day - Gary Farrell 2018 Rochioli Vineyard Chardonnay (Ru
Destination of the Day - Benoa (Denpasar), Bali, Indonesia

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Honolulu, Hawaii eta 4/17

Basseterre St Kitts, Port Zante

Nieuw Statendam   09:00 - 18:00

Cartagena Colombia

Eurodam   07:00 - 13:00

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

Nieuw Amsterdam   08:00 - 18:00

San Diego, California

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 16:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Zaandam   Destination Port Everglades eta 4/14

Great Stirrup Cay

Noordam   Anchorage

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam  

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0413World.thumb.png.f0cb8cca9aedd0546a1cf86cc0c3a9cb.png
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 18

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for today’s report.  I appreciate all of our plants both indoors and out.  The bookmobile is a great operation bringing books to folks.  I was never very good in Scrabble but gave it a shot.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious. Nice quote today.  The drink sounds refreshing.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and for the Ukraine.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 30

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

We've got a thunderstorm.  Bertie will only get a short walk this morning.

Love all the days.  Love plants, I think bookmobiles are great and I enjoy Scrabble, but I'm not that good at it.

I like the quote too.

The meal suggestion sounds good.  I've never made it but enjoyed it in Chinese food restaurants.  Looking forward to seeing the recipe.   I think I'd like to try the drink.  Hope the wine is tasty and not too expensive.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days - Bookmobiles are fabulous and scrabble can help expand the vocabulary & mind.  You know I will be celebrating plant appreciation day 😉 

079E2FF0-2BD4-4F22-A269-D3B27E710D42.jpeg.3b813dcad3f03897b39335c14c5e7ded.jpeg

Seriously in honour of plant celebration day, the Dutch have created a new tulip to honour and support Ukraine.  It is called the Tulip Ukraine ♥️:

F5170169-3EAA-4883-B48D-6CA39D9E447B.thumb.jpeg.e0fb8633c3eeebd0372ed11749eb754d.jpeg

Love the quote by Picoult.  So true ♥️ The meal suggestion sounds good and can’t wait to hear about the white wine today.  I haven’t had that one.

Busy day today - leaving early as I am going to try to get the car cleaned on the way to the hospital since it goes in for service tomorrow (ugh.  That was DH’s job).  Then my helper should be here at 1 pm (I better be on time 😉 ) to help me put the fencing up out front (another of DH’s jobs).  I sure hope we (mainly me) can do it.

@HAL Sailerso glad to hear that the haircut worked out.  My friend does the same thing with her husband who has ALS and it works well for her and him 🙂 

@lazey1Hoping your BIL’s procedure was a success 🙏🏻 

@NextOneYAY on the 2nd booster & your car back in your possession 👍 

@smitty34877So glad to hear that you have a counselor for the entire family.  I hope they can give you all some support and assistance.  Prayers that the medication adjustment proves to help Tana 🙏🏻 

I feel for those that have been hit and those that will be hit by this massive storm.  Parts of Manitoba & Saskatchewan are getting the biggest spring storm in 25 years and it is not just a one day affair 😔 Hope everyone can stay safe and @ger_77 is spared the worst of it 🤞 Looks like this applies to our poor prairie provinces:

5D8A077E-E7D6-483A-BF90-D0D57715383D.jpeg.fa07feaae5e707e41f764fa1a0b677e4.jpeg

prayers for everyone on the care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!!

D988B761-3DDC-40C6-82F4-3A89F0C47F91.jpeg.71667f8fb865d536c7e2b055ce236829.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

Good morning, early today to try to make up for letting yesterday get away from me.  Warm weather and sunny yesterday and 65 degrees at wakeup today.  Back to cold weather at the end of the week.  

A good list of days,  I truly appreciate plants being in 2 garden clubs and a Master Gardener for 15 years.    Our town is so small it does not have a bookmobile but the nice library is close.   I play ersatz Scrabble almost daily on my Kindle.  I have the software for the real game on my laptop but the Kindle is easier to play while watching TV.   I love the quote and a good egg drop soup.  Not a fan of cucumber cocktails but the wine is probably really good.  I used to buy Rochioli wines from their vineyard but had to cut back when I lost my husband.  Probably still have a couple of Pinots left in the cellar.  Have not been to Indonesia but will look forward to the photos.  

A few photos from my garden I left behind in Maryland.  Plants are so beautiful and provide our food. Prayers for all on Roy's care list and for an ending to the war in Ukraine.  🙏

a many splendored thing.jpg

acer and liberty.jpg

Aksent pink.jpg

alpine majesty.jpg

corner JI.jpg

• Like 39
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon.

It is 52°F and sunny.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Interesting days.

Excellent quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Never been to Bali.

Prayers 🙏 for all our friends who need them.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220413_115344.jpg

Screenshot_20220413_115453.jpg

Screenshot_20220413_115236.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Holy Week Hump Day Daily, Rich.  I am not really involved with Scrabble, Plants, or Bookmobiles but appreciate all of them.  I love the Picoult quote.  I've been to Bali just once, boarding the Crystal Symphony on a string of cruises that extended to the Crystal Serenity and Amsterdam.  I'll pass on the egg drop soup.  My alternative is  Chilled Mixed Berry Soup, Watermelon Cocktail and Chicken Kiev as served on MS Amsterdam April 14, 2014, on that string of cruises that began in Bali.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Sea Viewer DH recovering from heart attack and reluctant to take care of himself
Lady Hudson Sister with stroke
Lung cancer surgery for lazey1 BIL
From the rotation:
Welfare of furloughed crews
Mr Boston’s sister with shingles
msmayir’s daughter struggling with motherhood
Strength for Marshawk and DH

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Many dailyite family birthdays
msmayor, her daughter, and her great bosses
ottahand7 DB almost ready for rehab discharge
4 days for sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam 4/17 to 5/8)
Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS  to 4/15) and Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam  to 4/17) ,Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay)  at sea
Welcome home GTVCRUISER and Tioga Cruiser
Dismomx5 on grandchild watch
Norseh2o on family  celebration
Ancient Wanderer with 2 sore arms
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 15

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A spectacular morning before the rain arrives tomorrow. My muscles are sore this morning. I had a substitute instructor for one of my classes yesterday and she really worked my muscles!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! Taking a friend to the airport this morning, so just a quick post. 

Wednesday smiles…

5E7EBF6A-00A2-4A81-9AA5-8F4F669B12C8.jpeg.e0a31e731d0e61f6a1405ad8db759985.jpeg

BD91E29E-76B2-44C0-898A-ABEB85C9E558.jpeg.e88ca2a5b9e3902b574598a8488372f5.jpeg

E01B3D7C-0CBD-43D5-B5FF-7EDD8FC758CE.jpeg.90c1047e57ce2ed068515f20c093ea7b.jpeg

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Gary Farrell 2018 Rochioli Vineyard Chardonnay

A bit elusive, and a bit out of my budget range, but it sounds lovely. I could not find any online distributor other than the winemaker himself - for this vintage. So you might want to try a later vintage. The winemaker offers it for $65.00. 

Winemaker Notes

Very attractive citrus notes of lemon rind and grapefruit initially present on the nose, followed by crisp nectarine, honeydew melon, pressed mint leaves and lemongrass. There is plenty to love here for even the non-Chardonnay-lover. Fresh, crisp flavors of Meyer lemon and lime zest create a bright entry that beautifully complements the more opulent flavors of honey, fresh apricot and peach tartlet. The palate is very energetic and fresh with an underlying layer of acidity and loads of fleshy texture.
TP95 Tasting Panel

Golden color and an aromatic nose. Velvety, rich, and toasty yet crisp, fresh, and elegant, with gorgeous structure and depth. 

WE95 Wine Enthusiast

This wine offers such tremendous value and quality—it should be on everyone's go-to list for Russian River Valley Chardonnay. Lime, fig and grapefruit rind flavors ride along a lifted character of crushed stone texture and bright acidity. This wine is impressive from the detailed start to the lengthy finish. Editors' Choice

W&S92 Wine & Spirits
This wine has the youthful insistence of a newly released Chablis, with tart cider-apple acidity and grassy notes. It’s creamy and blunt in its undeveloped intensity, formidable in its tension.Best Buy
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 6

Good morning, everyone.

It is warm and overcast here in northeast Ohio.  Rain is moving in later this morning.  More April showers so we can have May flowers.  Great days today, great quote, wine sounds good although pricey and I've never been to Bali.  I am looking forward to the drink recipe.  Cucumber is so refreshing.  In the summer I like to chill water with cucumber, lime, and mint.   It is so good!

Today's meal is very easy to make and sounds pretty good to me! This first recipe is so easy.  I'm only missing the sesame oil.  I'll have to stop at the grocery on the way home from the pool.     https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/egg-drop-soup/

1579911639_Eggdrop-Soup1.thumb.jpg.38b008f460f2a8f4b61e4cbd6f66b3f3.jpg

When I first looked at this recipe, I thought they had garnished the soup with bacon.  Bacon goes with eggs, doesn't it?  Turns out it was fried wontons, but I'd still try the bacon.   https://thewoksoflife.com/egg-drop-soup/

574466553_egg-drop-soup2.thumb.jpg.05b371b2bb3fa6df6506e337f2216f64.jpg

This next one includes mushrooms in the soup.  Green onions and mushrooms, two of my favorites.  I am definitely going to have to try this one with the bacon from above.  https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/egg_drop_soup/

637330098_eggdropsoup3.thumb.jpg.ddb0c4bc089134ef206a04fa216bf684.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.   Cheers to all those celebrating, especially all the Daily birthdays and anniversaries.   Wishing you all a great day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I am not a gardener, but appreciate those who are and love looking at all types of plants. I haven't played Scrabble in quite some time, but I do play Words with Friends which is the same concept. I am grateful for the book mobiles.

I love the quote and the meal. (I'm happy to see others enjoy egg drop soup...I am the only one I know who likes it.)

Test was negative, but by last night my throat was very sore and is still pretty sore this morning. Other things got in the way of working on the doors yesterday so who knows what will get done today, if anything. 🤷🏻‍♀️

It is gloomy here this morning, but it looks like every tree has at least some leaves on it this morning. It's 62 now with a high of 78. Storms on their way for tomorrow.

Praying for all those in the path of the storms, for Ukraine and for our Daily family.

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 32

My string of cruises from Bali to Fort Lauderdale seems to be the rage today.  Today's sunrise is from my 2014 MS Amsterdam cruise from Cape Town to Fort Lauderdale.  April 13 was a sea day between Ascension Island and Cape Verde:

dawn0413.jpg

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 5

Good morning  from a cloudy but warmer NY.It was 65 at 6 pm last night and will be similar  today.Rain will continue  on and off.

We play Scrabble frequently  here and enjoy the challenge. I will celebrate  plants but leave their care to those with skill in this area.We have not been to the port.

I like the third recipe for a dinner option today but need to consult with the executive  Chef. Our dinner last night was haphazard so I expect today to be a little better.

The subway shooting in Brooklyn  yesterday has my 2 subway commuters nervous. it certainly  was an awful thing for those people packed in a subway car. I am hoping they apprehend  the gunman soon.

I am hoping for a good day today and wish the same for all of you.

Terry

• Like 36

Good morning everyone. Thinking of plants reminds me of Jacqui who does such a beautiful job every summer. I’m wondering who will plant for us this year since that has always been Sam’ love. I actually created a bookmobile stop when we lived on a Naval base in 1963. We had a 2 year old child and the library was too far away. I doubt it is still there because the base in North Carolina has been razed since they found our homes and our street were toxic and causing all kinds of cancer.

Its going to be 80 degrees today so summer can’t be too far away.

Stay safe everyone and special prayers for the people of Ukraine where everyday the atrocities seem to get worse.

Carol 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from a warm but overcast day at the beach

We dont have Bookmobiles here but you can order a book from the library and it will be delivered to you.   The quote is a good one. Never been to todays port. The " Ukraine tulip " is gorgeous!  Thanks for posting a picture Jacqui! @kazu

@JAM37 Hope you are feeling better soon. THat bug really has a hold on you. You were probably worn out from everything. Be better soon!

I am off to Boston tomorrow for my nephews wedding on Friday. So I wont be on the next few days.  Hope everyone has a Happy and healthy Easter!

Off to water aerobics this AM and then a few errands before I leave. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  We went for a nice walk early today to get our miles in, and saw a gorgeous pink and purple sky mixed with the clouds.  If only I'd had my IPhone with me I would have taken a photo for you.  Unfortunately today I have to run out again like I did yesterday because I have my physical in a little bit.  They always want you there early, and especially since I have new insurance this year.  No breakfast for me so I'll be starved by the time I get out of there.  But I promise to come back later to see what's happening here.

I did see we have Benoa, Bali again today so I can show what I posted last time.  It was just Nov. 7 that we had that port of the day.  There were a lot of photos posted so I'm sure you'll all get your fill of that exotic destination.

It was November 23, 2013 on Diamond Princess.  They switch out the signs at the cruise terminal for each cruise line, as they should.  They are probably very happy to see these ships come into port.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKzjk6fuYVlcyLe9OW9ZZPP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702246

Welcomers00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK6ZlXpMzeqBBNws4tPOEsJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702252

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVID7RLWytqIG_QqyTecjhRM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702249

We were lucky this trip to have a couple from Australia on board whom we'd met in 2010 on a Princess ship.  He had hired a driver for this port who would drive them around to see the sights, and they asked if we'd like to go along.  Yes!  First we drove to the Pura Gunung Kawi temple.  Here, the cliffs flanking the Packerisan river feature shrines carved into stone honoring kings and queens from the 11th century. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKUqBrHUmupGtgeGNMVhIwU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702335

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLl05QWyjm_EafQiHlK_TZ5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702340

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKzBAfG-J1-1vtNQ1ap5Lbq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702352

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIwpn_wNkaCi7CojegARqfG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702366

It was beautiful!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLTWZxbenYXenbWgOSJTJxM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702367

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhiD4_vZ4MOEN7fXdbycn0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702373

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQD3e6zIHEhwchR9jnj4_i?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702428

It was so peaceful there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9Y014FCiASFIEdo-N1Xy5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702435

Then we went to Tirta Empul temple.  The sacred spring there provides holy water for priests and bathing for ordinary Balinese, who believe that a dip here can bring good fortune and health.  An offering must first be made at the temple before you can climb into the long main pool to bathe and meditate.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKUUS7jsol3CQ8qAKlkARrW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702473

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJamvwD8r4A3jCJztR5Fj1D?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702478

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjplU5ldFBhYY3a-T27sEG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702462

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLfF9Yk5PE7CbC4wgCTOD79?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702507

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJSFtpBvCnho5rcEugAghOc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702522

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI0b-jE_nrLJ4mc8MnfXVw2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702531

This photo was taken from the car on the way to the volcano.  The Balinese prepare and decorate a penjor made from a long bamboo pole hung vertically in front of their home.  They can be up to 10 meters high and they droop and hang over the roads making a beautiful sight.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8ERI48pI3vX3fu2m2fhnl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702537

We didn't get real close to the volcano, Mount Batur, because it's active.  Instead we viewed it from the village of Penelokan.  Here is a misty view of the Mount Batur and Lake Batur.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKmN1LCvZfdU1TEGStwmQGI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702547

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJLrt_hcjHEqrSodgyJ7yvZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388702552

That's all for today.  I hope this gives you a glimpse of Benoa and the surrounding area.  See you all later.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning!   Another cloudy morning with rain expected to start sometime tonight.  I think it may be a bit earlier.

j7vx0knfxwrtikwbp7xd.jpg

Well Fawns escape to the great outdoors seems to be permanent.  Cant find her at all this morning.

And it seems that one of the cats that was dumped in the neighborhood seems to have adopted us.  I call him Aku, (babylonian moon god)  He doesn't respond to it, but he does look at me and hiss.

f59b5cc4cc32d2acebd60b17ab9780ce.jpg

Well I'm done with the Hollywood Bowl for a while.  I am so hoping to go back to Dayton, and it turns out that they start back up three days before I go on vacation.  So I may miss this campaign.  I like talking with people from Ohio, they are nice.  They don't hang up on me as much as people from California.   Our job sent us a survey last night, one of the questions was a multiple choice of job name.  I chose Advertising and Marketing, because Pain in the @S* was not an option.

VoJLI63SQkWavjsBJv_8xg2.jpg

Well off to fix breakfast, get DH to his oncologist appointment and since they cancelled work for Saturday, get on the phones tonight and work.    But two days off in a row??

Yippee!

I have no comments of the food today.  @kazu I love the Ukraine Tulips.  Have a great day!

• Like 27
  • Haha 8

Good morning everyone. Our majority of plants are different herbs we use for cooking. Our Meyer’s Lemon tree is blooming and emitting such sweet aroma!

We did book the Scenic River Cruise in France so another adventure to look forward to.

So another Hump Day speeds by which means DW has only 15 days before retirement and we’ll be off to Hawaii. Our neighbors, who rely on us to tend to their cats when they are gone, are pondering when they will ever be able to take a trip. Main reason we did not adopt more pets though we miss our lap kitties.

Thanks Rich, Roy and all of the Daily family! Have a great day.

• Like 32

Good morning all.  Prayers for all in need and prayers for wisdom for our political leaders.  

Lovely day coming up in SE PA.  Not much going on except continuing to put away clothes from our cruise and watching an afternoon Mets game.  

SIL moved from hospital back to rehab after her recent stroke. Waiting for information on visitor status. If ok we plan to visit NJ on Saturday.  It will be the first time to see that side of the family since pre-Covid.  Katherine 

• Like 25

Bookmobile day reminded me of the women who traveled through Kentucky on horseback to deliver books to rural people.  I highly recommend to novels Ann the topic:  The Book Woman Of Troublesome Creek by Kim Richardson and The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyes.

Tulips are my favorite flower.  7544E7AC-4DBE-4D59-9173-196A63B4C38A.jpeg.58acb43a1f56cc408ddd7208cf257604.jpegLove the Ukrainian tulips.  I wonder how they were developed so quickly or if they are dyed?

Always appreciate the port pictures.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1