The Daily for Thursday 04/21/2022

richwmn

@msmayor Your poor daughter!   I hope the surgery solves her problems and that she is soon home with her husband and baby.   You are a blessing to be able to come and help so much.   

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Speaking of meatballs! Just a heads up. On my recent Rotterdam cruise while in quarantine I ordered the Brooklyn Meatball Sub from NY Deli. Obviously they have never been to Brooklyn. One tablespoon of tomato sauce, unmelted cheese and dried meatballs. 

I was hungry that afternoon!☹️

I sent the New York Deli a recipe for Reuben sandwiches when I was on the Koningsdam.  I got a sandwich with one tiny piece of corned beef and no sauerkraut.  Seriously?   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 7

That meatball pizza looks so good.  I wish I could have one. Problem is i have no appetite.  The last time I had dinner was on Saturday evening in Polo (Steakhouse). Have subsisted on breakfast only since then.  

I have no desire to eat.

Last night I ordered a Croque Monsieur and French Onion Soup.  it came at the same time the Doctor did.  About 8:30 pm.  She stayed with us almost one hour.  When she left the GM called.   By the time I got to the food it was 9:45 and ice cold.   i just put it on the tray outside the room and went to bed.

We’ll try again tonight.  

We’re both ordering the cheese omelet.  It is light and probably a good idea.  

i know I have to eat otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

More later.

Terri

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, Dailyites!  @msmayor, I hope all goes well with your DD's surgery.  

It is @sailingdutchy's birthday today.  I hear he has already been serenaded once at breakfast in Club Orange.  Happy Birthday, Tony!

We visited St. Anthony's on a driving trip with DD, who lives in Gander.  I think most people visit the area to see the "Viking" ruins.  The water in the countryside runs through peat, so is almost black.

P1030503.JPG.bbf602378569a931505491dd6c895373.JPG

CIMG1333.thumb.JPG.d9cf16e7572646624966dac37167f2a5.JPG

CIMG1337.thumb.JPG.87783c61085cd1febc0e0cdfe97379df.JPG

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

@dfish  That's a terrible excuse for a Rueben.  ( I think I make the best, so if you are ever in the "hood" let me know.  )  On Carnival, I ask for a corned beef or pastrami sandwich and a Rueben sandwich, I re-assemble and add thousand island dressing from the salad bar.

My old boss, if given something so lacking in quantity, would ask the server or cook, if the item being made was coming out of their salary.  If not, she wanted what she ordered.

Well since I posted early this morning, it got cloudy, the temps are in the 50's and my heat is on.  Which is good, as I am freezing, and got a mild case of food poisoning from a salad i ordered from Chick fil A yesterday.  I did read that the middle of the country is setting up for either another blizzard or some rough wet weather.

I keep checking the web cam of Sanibel Moorings, which is where I am going in Florida.  They have a beach cam, and no one is really in the water this week.  A few folks run in the water, do a belly flop and run right out.  There were two young men throwing a football on the beach yesterday , and the day before they were in the water throwing a baseball.  But no one is swimming.  Sharks? Jelly fish?  no to both, it's the temperature.  Only in the 70's.  Guess I'll be doing more hiking than swimming on this trip.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

A salute to Kindergarten and Bulldogs. I occasionally drink tea (usually a fruity non-caffeinated one in lieu of something sweet after dinner), but am more a coffee person.

I'm not sure I understand the quote.

I like the meal. Pass on the drink and the wine is too expensive.

I haven't been to St. Anthony. Thanks for any pictures.

It's been raining all morning here and somewhat cool,  but will warm up later. Too wet for any yard work.

Happy 96th Birthday to Queen Elizabeth.

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Tana and the family. It's good you both got some sleep last night. 

@grapau27 Thanks for sharing the ocean view.

@mamaofami So nice that Sam is getting out to socialize.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you both feel better. Get rest and take care. You need to eat, even if you can't smell or taste it (ok, end of lecture!).

@summer slope How nice to get to see DD and DGS after a long 2 years!

@kazu Prayers that Jose is doing better today. 

@marshhawk I grew up in Monmouth County, at the shore in Asbury Park. 

@ger_77 Safe travels and enjoy the family time. 

@msmayor Thank you for checking in to update us. Oh no on the pancreatitis DD developed and the need for gallbladder surgery. Prayers that she has a quick recovery. Bless you for doing the milk runs and being there for her. 

@ottahand7 Cool to see that woodpecker.

@durangoscots Those fires are so scary. I hope you won't need your evacuation bag, but it's smart to be prepared just in case.

@sailingdutchy Happy Birthday!

Prayers for the Care List and extra for Ukraine, its people and helpers and Mariupol.

Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone, and wear your mask if needed. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Twin and I were in the same kindergarten class.  We used to walk to school all by ourselves (those were different times for sure)

There is a "new" show on Netflix that has initiated a discussion about when children are "Old Enough" to do something, like walk to school.  If interested, here is the story from npr:  https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/04/20/1093153651/a-4-year-old-can-run-errands-alone-and-not-just-on-reality-tv#:~:text=screengrab by NPR-,Don't forget the curry!,daunting tasks to little tykes.&text=In the first episode%2C a,%3A flowers%2C curry and fishcakes.

As a high school teacher, I have witnessed many students who are unable to "run errands on their own."  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

That meatball pizza looks so good.  I wish I could have one. Problem is i have no appetite.  The last time I had dinner was on Saturday evening in Polo (Steakhouse). Have subsisted on breakfast only since then.  

I have no desire to eat.

Last night I ordered a Croque Monsieur and French Onion Soup.  it came at the same time the Doctor did.  About 8:30 pm.  She stayed with us almost one hour.  When she left the GM called.   By the time I got to the food it was 9:45 and ice cold.   i just put it on the tray outside the room and went to bed.

We’ll try again tonight.  

We’re both ordering the cheese omelet.  It is light and probably a good idea.  

i know I have to eat otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

More later.

Terri

We had the beverage package so those double shots single malt scotch Delivered to our quarantine cabin every night definitely helped getting to sleep at night after napping throughout the day!😁🥃

• Like 19

43 minutes ago, dfish said:

I sent the New York Deli a recipe for Reuben sandwiches when I was on the Koningsdam.  I got a sandwich with one tiny piece of corned beef and no sauerkraut.  Seriously?   

I had a Reuben at the NY Deli on the Nieuw Statendam last November. It was perfectly done and delicious. Sounds like they could have used your recipe on the Konigsdam.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We had the beverage package so those double shots single malt scotch Delivered to our quarantine cabin every night definitely helped getting to sleep at night after napping throughout the day!😁🥃

We were given meds yesterday and were told absolutely no alcohol by the doc.  i would love to have a glass of wine.  She said not until the antibiotics are finished.  Another 3 days.

We have plenty of wine in our cabin since there is no limit as to what you can bring on here with Oceania.  

We’re just trying to do as we were told.  Then again, we were following all the rules and look where that landed us.

Thanks for your advice.

Terri

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, jimgev said:

I had a Reuben at the NY Deli on the Nieuw Statendam last November. It was perfectly done and delicious. Sounds like they could have used your recipe on the Konigsdam.

I had the pastrami and asked for extra meat and it worked.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Where I grew up, they had a strange set up for kindergarten. It was a half-year program. So they started in September and ended at the end of December. Then a new class would go from January to June. It resulted in half-year programs in the school system.

My parents told me that I was almost left back in kindergarten because I never wanted to take a nap . Taking a nap was part of the program. We all had to breing blankets and lie down on the floor and nap. I guess I thought that was a dumb idea and rebelled against it - lol.

I started kindergarten in September, finished in December and then started first grade in January. I did the second half of first grade the following September through December. It was fine until we moved to another town with a more "normal" system. We moved at the end of March. I had just begun 4th Grade. Between moving and Easter vacation, I missed a month of school and picked up 4th grade in Mid April. But it ended in June. So I only had a few actual months of 4th grade.. Even though I passed the exams (as did my sister in the 1st grade), our parents decided to have us repeat that grade the following school year.

It was a good decision. As it was, we both graduated High School as one of the youngest in our respective classes.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Debbie, if must have worked.  We had a Reuben on Konigsdam on St. Patrick's Day, and it was perfect.  There was not pickle spear with it.  When we asked DH got sliced pickles -- not the same.

In November, they were out of corned beef, but the pastrami sandwich was perfect too.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15

Good morning all!

My school didn't have a kindergarten so I started with 1st grade when I was 6.  Of all the dog owners I've known, none ever had a bulldog.  Funny that today is tea day (in the UK) because yesterday was when my niece had DS and I to tea at her home.  

I'll pass on the wine and drink, and would prefer the Rachael Ray recipe if I had  meatball pizza.  We were in St. Anthony in 2018 on the VOV, will add some photos of our day at L'ans aux Méadows. 

@Cruzin TerriI'm so sorry you and your DH have tested positive now.  How long is your cruise?  Prayers you feel better soon.

@summer slope Dixie how wonderful that your DD and DGS will be visiting for a week!  After not seeing them for 2 years you must be over the moon. 🙂 

@kazuJacqui I'm so sorry yesterday was a bad day and hope today will be much better for you and Jose.

@ger_77Gerry have a fun time with your grandsons!

@msmayorConnie prayers for your DD and her surgery today.  She's been through so much.

@Quartzsite CruiserLenda safe travels!

@smitty34877Terry that's great that you and Tana got more sleep last night!  

Our day in L'ans aux Méadows

276541412_LansauxMeadows.jpg.2ce984d6e8acec6d95ed17094b4ad695.jpg

plaque.jpg.187a6a9ff13d435336a73260cace57ae.jpg

A sod covered church

371037504_sodcoveredchurch.jpg.522eb61e228e3989dd361204e49f2b75.jpg

Interior of church

1368537109_insidechurch2.jpg.526e919c6299a7d65b0bad8dedeed66e.jpg

Scenery of the area

scenery.jpg.afe889497e14cc2f6c7a876c83a727a2.jpg

The land was sprinkled with many plaques like this, showing where different buildings had been.

712074767_houseandworkshop.jpg.51106f2fe5cd0874af45e7993c0ec36a.jpg

Costumed characters were inside some of the buildings, showing how life had been.

396076179_insideasodbuilding.jpg.3dc148091728de1f3dcd62531081dafd.jpg

609104948_furskins2.jpg.c5459df0b32535554c40df06e96f7fd6.jpg

1353211189_costumedactors.thumb.jpg.05f0dd0eca2420b37d8733e0a0257241.jpg

The garden area

1368046999_gardenarea.jpg.25523ba251942d074030b114e214faa4.jpg

In the Interpretive Center

1427215175_intheinterpretivecenter.jpg.bfd6e9a4d585ee0a86c1a9c5cb541026.jpg

We had a little bit of fun with this, like many others were doing.

sign.thumb.jpg.f41e3fc2e37028d2cfad856bed3a030d.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

Finally have some positive news on my eye problem.  For the past two years I have had a monthly injection in my left eye for macular degeneration.  Before they inject the medicine they take a picture of the retina.  Comparing last months picture to the current one, they are almost exactly the same.  The Dr. would say that is not a bad thing; the medication is keeping it from getting worse.  Last month he tried a new drug, vabysmo.  There was a very noticeable improvement in the picture yesterday.  The Dr. thinks the new medication could actually cure the problem.

I attended kindergarten when I was 5 near the end of WW2.  One thing I remember from it was that we were encouraged to be members of the "Clean Plate Club" and eat every bit of the lunch they served.  One problem was that I wasn't 6 until December, so I had to wait a year to start first grade.  Went to a 2-room country school with first, second and third grade in one room and fourth, fifth and sixth in the other.

Sorry to hear from @Cruzin Terri about her and her DH experience with covid on the Nautica.  My DD and DSIL are boarding that ship this weekend and I hope they will be safe.  

Ray

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  Highly recommend Newfoundland!   I love tea of most kinds,  and Brunello,   Also the favourite of Queen Elizabeth.  Happy 96 birthday to this amazing woman! If you ever get the chance to see the play the audience, it is wonderful and documents her long service and meeting prime ministers over her reign.  We were fortunate to see it with Helen Mirren.  

image.thumb.png.dc607f7024f4457b6b58380c7e6cd9b7.png

We also will  celebrate 49 years of marriage today, where did the time go? 

image.thumb.jpeg.5fc4eed239903f11567b464a149e1af5.jpeg

DH gave me the following card with the caption.  I’ll love you till we’re both old and embarrassing, lol! 

image.thumb.jpeg.55de283428700dc19362601562ecbd1e.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

@dfish  That's a terrible excuse for a Rueben.  ( I think I make the best, so if you are ever in the "hood" let me know.  )  On Carnival, I ask for a corned beef or pastrami sandwich and a Rueben sandwich, I re-assemble and add thousand island dressing from the salad bar.

My brother trained as a chef and his Reubens are to die for.   The manager of the New York Deli and I had a long chat.  I told him if they weren't going to serve true NY Deli Reubens then they needed to change the name of the restaurant.  NY Deli does give one certain expectations.  

59 minutes ago, jimgev said:

My conversation must have paid off!  

49 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I had the pastrami and asked for extra meat and it worked.

That would work.  Now we just need the sauerkraut.

41 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, if must have worked.  We had a Reuben on Konigsdam on St. Patrick's Day, and it was perfect.  There was not pickle spear with it.  When we asked DH got sliced pickles -- not the same.

In November, they were out of corned beef, but the pastrami sandwich was perfect too.

Pastrami would work.  But, no pickle spear?   That's just not right!

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  Highly recommend Newfoundland!   I love tea of most kinds,  and Brunello,   Also the favourite of Queen Elizabeth.  Happy 96 birthday to this amazing woman! If you ever get the chance to see the play the audience, it is wonderful and documents her long service and meeting prime ministers over her reign.  We were fortunate to see it with Helen Mirren.  

image.thumb.png.dc607f7024f4457b6b58380c7e6cd9b7.png

We also will  celebrate 49 years of marriage today, where did the time go? 

image.thumb.jpeg.5fc4eed239903f11567b464a149e1af5.jpeg

Happy Anniversary  to you both.I love the wedding picture as well as the picture of Queen Elizabeth. Thanks

• Like 13

Good morning everyone and Happy Thursday!  

I went to an all day Kindergarten at a private church school in Kansas City, MO. And we also had the afternoon nap like @jimgev mentioned, but we had rugs instead. I loved it, I’ve always been a nap person. I don’t remember much else except the naps!  

I like iced tea and bulldogs look like larger versions of pugs. I’ll pass on the drink but would like to taste the Brunello. I’ll choose the Rachael Ray pizza too. We were supposed to go to Newfoundland in 2020 but I’m not sure if St Anthony was on the itinerary. 

@msmayor — what an ordeal your daughter has been through. Praying that the surgery goes well. I’m sure the family appreciates everything that you have done. 

Terri @Cruzin Terri — what a surprise to read that you and your DH have covid. I was sure that the fatigue you had was due to jet lag. At first I thought maybe you caught it on the flight over but I think it’s been too many days past for that to be the case. Get better fast so you can enjoy the rest of your cruise and trip. And maybe having lighter type food, like the omelette, will help. But do try to eat something in the evening, even if it’s just crackers and cheese. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

In 2020 and 2021, many people got dogs to be companions during the various stages of stay-home orders. I imagine fatigue is setting in, as caring for a dog is not as easy as some think.

Here is a quote from an article written in November of 2021: "In March 2020, Americans began experiencing numerous lifestyle changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Some reports have suggested that pet acquisition and ownership increased during this period, and some have suggested shelters and rescues will be overwhelmed once pandemic-related restrictions are lifted and lifestyles shift yet again." 

Here is a link to that article: Frontiers | Characterizing Pet Acquisition and Retention During the COVID-19 Pandemic | Veterinary Science (frontiersin.org)

Also, many people did not spay/neuter their pets. Either could not find a vet who would do it (vet hours were reduced substantially) or just did not care. We are getting a surprising number of puppies.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I thought I had pictures of the two different Rueben sandwiches I had, one from the Koningsdam in October and one from the Rotterdam in December but must have been too hungry to take a picture. I will say that the Koningsdam one was a bit lacking. The Rotterdam one was much better. They are small though, because I ate the whole thing, usually I can only eat half. 

• Like 11