Letter to Princess

Mphk

I sent this letter to Princess a couple of weeks ago.  They have chosen not to respond or acknowledge it in any way.  I would like to post a copy here in the hope that someone at Princess is paying attention.  What I really hope can be accomplished here is for the new president to understand the necessity of integrity and transparency to the passengers, as well as supplying what was promised.

I would like to bring your attention to some issues during our recent cruise.  We were on Sky Princess leaving Fort Lauderdale on March 12th for the trans Atlantic relocation cruise.  We arrived in Southampton on March 28th.  This was our 39th Princess cruise and I feel compelled to bring to your attention a number of items.  This was our 4th cruise since December 2021 so please do not try to use Covid as an excuse.

We were scheduled to embark between 12 PM and 1 PM.  We arrived about 12:30 and found hundreds of people in line to embark.  The embarkation process was very good and quite speedy but we were all in the terminal together with no social distancing.  This is likely a contributing factor to all the Covid cases we ended up with on board and the reason we missed the highlight of the trip, Casa Blanca.

We purchased the all inclusive package with drinks, gratuities and high speed internet.  Shortly before the cruise, we received an email stating that high speed internet may be “spotty” during the crossing and that Princess was refunding us $10.00 per day as a shipboard credit.  In fact, internet was virtually non existent from the time we got on the ship to the time we got off.  We had little to no internet at dock in Fort Lauderdale and it did not get any better.  We make our arrangements around services we can get to meet our needs.  We paid for internet and we needed internet.  Just telling us at the last minute “oh well” just do without is not an answer.  It is up to us to use the service for the purposes we see fit and it is up to Princess to provide the services they promise and charge us for.  Giving us back the money doesn’t help.  Princess knew before we left dock that the service was not just “spotty” but was unavailable.  We paid for this service with cash, a shipboard credit means we have to purchase things that we do not need to use up this credit.  It was a non refundable credit.  Also, we paid full price for this service, giving us a $10.00 shipboard credit does not cost Princess $10.00 a day.  When we spend it, it includes your markup so you get the money one way or the other.  This is unacceptable.  We paid for this in good faith.  Please do not try to tell me it is because of satellite coverage over the Atlantic. 

The morning that we reached Funchal we received a letter in our stateroom indicating that everyone had to fill out an online form to receive a QR code to enter mainland Portugal.  We went to the guest services desk and asked how we were supposed to complete the form with no internet.  They told us that they thought everyone would go ashore and find internet there.  In the terminal building there was free internet but there were hundreds of people trying to access it.  We spent the better part of our morning walking around Funchal trying to find internet to complete the form.  That is not the way we expect to spend our shore days.  Especially since we had missed the previous port of The Azores.

About a day before we were scheduled to reach Morocco (Princess’ title for this cruise) we were advised that Morocco was not accepting any cruise ships.  It seems more likely that because of all the covid onboard, they would not accept us.  It was greatly disappointing.

When we boarded Sky Princess we were in cabin C432.  We opened the balcony door and the noise in the cabin was overwhelming.  We thought it was the wind blowing in and just closed the door.  It turns our that when the door was open many pieces of the cabin ceiling, such as near the recessed light, were loose and making noise.  This went on for about 3 days.  We paid for a balcony cabin so we could use the balcony and get some fresh air.  Leaving the door closed for 16 days was not an option.  We made a recording of the noise and went to the guest services desk.  We were served by Mario who did a wonderful job.  He found us another cabin on the same deck.  When we went to see it, the noise was the same.  He found us another one on Riviera deck and this one was fine.  We had to go to all the inconvenience of moving.  We found that throughout the ship there are many rattles and creaks.  We were on Regal in December and did not find any of these problems.

For the first few days the staff members were ensuring that everyone going to the buffet washed their hands.  They also ensured that the tables were properly marked and cleaned. That stopped after a few days.  People just wandered in and out without any sanitary measures at all.  Again, likely a contributing factor to why we had to miss Morocco. 

When we mentioned these things to officers they talked a good game.  They said how important the protocols are to them but then we would watch them stand by and do nothing when the protocols were not followed by the staff or the passengers.  One passenger got on the elevator with other people and no mask and told everyone that she had 24 hours free.  She said the medical staff had placed her husband in quarantine pending a test and they just let her roam around.

We found that the buffet on this ship is not in keeping with the other ships.  On Sky, the most variety was at lunch time and not at dinner.  We finally had to change our time for our main meal to lunch.  The variety was very limited at any time.  The same thing was being served over and over, day after day.  I also have never seen a Princess ship that has a large Asian section on a daily basis.  The quality of the food was okay but it was not up to Princess standards.  Again, we were on Regal and Caribbean in the last couple of months and the buffet was far superior.

There is no Crooners bar on Sky and we, among many other passengers, missed it greatly. 

To say that the Medallion app is less than useful is an understatement.  It is an expensive, glorified room key.  It did not work for most of the cruise.  The staff at the bars etc. were asking for room numbers.  We could not use it to order food or drinks.  We could not use it to view our account.  We could not use it to book tours.  We just could not use it.  It is unclear to me why you would introduce an app that is so clearly not ready for use.  Seems like a sure fire way to upset the passengers instead of waiting until you have a viable plan. This was our 5th medallion cruise and it has never worked properly.  It makes Princess look very inept.  Just one more thing we were promised that does not work.

We took the Princess shuttle from Southampton to Victoria Station in England.  There was no social distancing and no protocols in place.  Again, Princess talks about it, but they don’t follow through.

We find that it seems to be a Princess mantra that lying to the passengers is the best course of action.  When you ask a question or try to get information, you are usually presented with a lie.  When you bring to their attention that you know they are lying, they just rework the lie. For example, we paid for specialty dinners prior to the cruise.  When I went and printed the bill, I found that we were charged again.  Okay, mistakes happen.  I went to guest services and asked if we paid on a credit card if we made reservations from shore.  I was told yes.  I then explain I was charged again.  I was then told we were not charged until the actual time of service.  I had to then take the time to check my credit card statement on shore, and yes, we paid in advance.  I went back and was told “you should know you needed a voucher.”  He told me to talk to my cabin steward.  I told him he should talk to my cabin steward as he was making up different excuses by the minute and it would not be a very good idea for them to have me contact Princess for the refund.  This is just one example of the inaccuracies that we are told.  Again, for example, the internet access.  Why can Princess not just be up front and straight forward?  This conduct has been going on for years but as your service deteriorates, the lies grow.

Princess has seen fit to start removing little perks from the Elite passengers.  Little things like the toiletry bags, internet minutes etc.  Those of us who have been loyal seem to be the ones to pay for Princess’ loses during covid.  These issues with internet etc. will be the breaking point for many of us.  You have left us with little to stay loyal to Princess for.  If you cannot at least provide the things that you promise and that we pay for in good faith, then I see no reason to continue cruising with Princess.  There are many other cruise lines out there.

We are booked on one more cruise with Princess.  We are on Island Princess for the trans Atlantic relocation on May 26th   Fort Lauderdale to Southampton.  We have sailed on Island 5 or 6 times so we are very familiar with the ship and the services so this will be a good comparison.  If we do not find an improvement this coming cruise, we are sorry to say it will be our last on Princess.

Thank you
Charles and Mary Kent

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This is a well thought out letter.  I am sorry they did not have the decency to respond in some matter.  The only conclusion I can come to is they simply do not care.  We were becoming disillusioned with cruising as a whole before COVID.   In July we will be taking our first cruise since disembarking in December 2019.  It will be interesting to see how we feel.  Best wishes to you and yours.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, dog said:

Too long, but I get results from posting on Princess Instagram 

A lot of companies will respond quickly to anything negative and legit on social media.  A letter to HQ isn't normally known about beyond the sender.  This letter has a bit more spread, but not really any different than other postings about the Sky and internet.  Not to diminish the poster's experience.

They will likely get a response, but I'd say two weeks is too soon given they are swamped with issues and are short-staffed and leaks are springing all over their operation.  Some days I am amazed they get guests on ships and manage to sail from port to port.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

A lot of companies will respond quickly to anything negative and legit on social media.  A letter to HQ isn't normally known about beyond the sender.  This letter has a bit more spread, but not really any different than other postings about the Sky and internet.  Not to diminish the poster's experience.

They will likely get a response, but I'd say two weeks is too soon given they are swamped with issues and are short-staffed and leaks are springing all over their operation.  Some days I am amazed they get guests on ships and manage to sail from port to port.  

Yes, lack of crew, shoreside staff seem to be overwhelming this season. 

11 minutes ago, dog said:

Yes, lack of crew, shoreside staff seem to be overwhelming this season. 

That's why I'm worried the same TA on Island Princess mentioned above may be cancelled. If they can't fully support the ships they have sailing, it doesn't bode well for bringing another ship back into service after being in dry dock or whatever for two years. They cancelled summer cruises on Sapphire, there's nothing to say the same can't happen with Island. 

Limited staff + more issues = longer wait times or no response at all to letters.

They might only be tallying the number of issues that are being reported. My letter about being shortchanged by 25% on my refundable credit on my emailed final statement didn’t even generate an automated reply…guess their system is also overwhelmed.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We were on the cruise before you,with you and after you for a total of 35 nights.The OBC from the internet issues was refundable and both my wife and I got the credit.I went to the passenger services desk and they verified that it was refundable.Regarding the staff at the buffet entrances,there was never one time that we were not reminded to wash our hands.It became very annoying when you are standing over the sink while being reminded to wash your hands!I think the buffet was the best I can remember with the selection being years ahead of the MDR.

• Like 3

I honestly believe, in this case, brevity would have been your friend.  These are very busy individuals with short attention spans.  Perhaps if you had started with “the bullet”, got their attention and a reply, you could then have elaborated.  The results might have been more to your liking.  Ending your letter telling them you probably won’t be back unless they fix things really gives them zero incentive to work with you.

I do not doubt each and every little thing you describe is exactly what happened to you and I’m sorry this was not a better experience for you.  Cruising right now can be hit or miss and isn’t for the faint of heart.  Hope things are better on your next one.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Mphk said:

We opened the balcony door and the noise in the cabin was overwhelming.  We thought it was the wind blowing in and just closed the door.  It turns our that when the door was open many pieces of the cabin ceiling, such as near the recessed light, were loose and making noise.  This went on for about 3 days.  We paid for a balcony cabin so we could use the balcony and get some fresh air.  Leaving the door closed for 16 days was not an option.

I will pick this one complaint out of your long post, as this is not a "failure" by Princess, but on your part.  Balcony doors are not designed to be left open to "get fresh air".  If you want fresh air, you go out on the balcony and shut the door.  The noise you experienced was possibly from loose things rattling,  but the root cause was the vast airflow out of your balcony door.  Your leaving the balcony door open affected about 30-50 cabins in close vicinity to yours, as you were robbing the fresh air supply from those cabins to yours trying to rebuild the overpressure that exists in all cabins for safety.  If this was your 39th cruise, I am surprised that someone has not knocked on your cabin door long past to tell you to close the balcony door because everyone around you is complaining of a warm cabin.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

I honestly believe, in this case, brevity would have been your friend.  These are very busy individuals with short attention spans.  Perhaps if you had started with “the bullet”, got their attention and a reply, you could then have elaborated.  The results might have been more to your liking.  Ending your letter telling them you probably won’t be back unless they fix things really gives them zero incentive to work with you.

I do not doubt each and every little thing you describe is exactly what happened to you and I’m sorry this was not a better experience for you.  Cruising right now can be hit or miss and isn’t for the faint of heart.  Hope things are better on your next one.

Totally agree.

If that is the letter that the OP actually wrote, I'm not surprised they did not get a reply !

Too long, too emotive,  and too boring !

If the OP had just clearly set out 5 or 6 issues,  then I'm sure an answer would  have  been forthcoming. 

Just to send a stream of consciousness diatribe will never elicit a response.  

In a previous life I had a responsibility for customer complaints.

Those that were clear, to the point and non-emotive got an immediate response with appropriate compensation. The rest got put into the "action tomorrow " file. Guess where this letter would be filed? 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 7

Internet on cruise ships are provided by satellite. I've heard the same problem on other lines, especially on TA's. I think whoever looked at your letter and saw that complaint, turned to a co worker and laughed before it went into file 13.

• Haha 1

Normally a first post that throws deep shade is suspicious to say the least. However, in this case it cites some well documented problems on this ill-fated voyage. My main criticism is the excessive wordiness of the letter. A well-organized list of bullet and sub-bullet points would be much more effective. I would have suggested that this be sent by email rather than snail mail. My guess is the letter was scanned by a lower-level employee who made the decision "Yeah we know about this." and then filed it.

I don’t blame you at all for those complaints.  I really hate the way they are never truthful once you get on the ship.  Like the secrecies about what the Covid #s .   Come on we are all adults & not children we can handle the truth.  But sadly it is never given.  My goodness they tell us  our location . Just tell us how many are sick.  Either they hide it also from the crew or they must make the crew feel like if they are found giving any info away they will be fired on the spot.   They make us feel like we are in Russia where we no nothing.  We just got off the Grand on the 19th. It was a 15 dayer. When we were disembarking the porter in the terminal told us we were on the news because of the amount of Covid cases.  I could have told everyone on that ship there had to be about 50% of the passengers & crew had Covid.   Those last few days everyone was doing that deep barking phlegm type cough, including me. I tested positive when I got home & I felt  like crap with the worst cough in my 72 years. My husband tested negative,  but has a very bad cold. For us it was not a good time for Princess to lift the mask mandate & be sailing almost full for 15 days. I bet Hawaii hates us now. 
I hope none of you or any in your group  caught Covid on your cruise . If you didn’t you can say that was the best part of your cruise @ least.

You should do the email thing to Princess. It might take up to 6 weeks to contact you. They might give you a call.  In your email tell them to call you.  

Edited by Ronnieslady
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Totally agree.

If that is the letter that the OP actually wrote, I'm not surprised they did not get a reply !

Too long, too emotive,  and too boring !

If the OP had just clearly set out 5 or 6 issues,  then I'm sure an answer would  have  been forthcoming. 

I disagree.

There should have been a response, even if it only said that the letter was received.

And companies with good customer service do not only respond to what others might consider to be perfectly written letters. They respond to every letter.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Internet on cruise ships are provided by satellite. I've heard the same problem on other lines, especially on TA's. I think whoever looked at your letter and saw that complaint, turned to a co worker and laughed before it went into file 13.

The post indicated the Internet did not work well even while docked in Fort Lauderdale.

It should work well in Fort Lauderdale whether the ship is going on a TA itinerary or just a Caribbean itinerary.

And the suggestion by Princess that passengers should spend their time on shore to find Internet to fill out a required form is ridiculous. That is not how I want to spend my time in an exotic port I am visiting for the first time.

• Like 7

We have one more Princess cruise planned for this year and then I think we’re done with Princess (we are Elite but the benefits are now negligible).  
We were on a Celebrity cruise this past December and internet was fine throughout the cruise. It was a Caribbean cruise so, of course, it would make sense that internet would be fine. However, there are several posts/reviews on current Celebrity transatlantic cruises and they have been posting and uploading pictures and videos every single day. It would seem that this is a Princess problem and not necessarily a satellite issue. 
Although we loved all of our Princess cruises and we’re looking forward to our November cruise, too, a customer service issue with Princess last year has turned us into Celebrity fans. 

• Like 2

We were on this same cruise, sad to say.  Everything OP says is accurate, and more.  We sailed with friends and feel very embarrassed now to have encouraged them to join us.  Our worst cruise ever of well over 50.  We were both in suites and that did not help.  Officers were ambivalent when approached.  Contract crew was great and worked hard, maybe over-worked and over-supervised.  Many young people from Ukraine and it was obvious they were concerned.  One young waitress said she was finally able to call home from an officer's desk to check on her young children.  Its clear that Princess was not truthful in many areas to include Internet, the Casablanca stop (Moroccan Passage), COVID on board, etc.

Will not cruise with Princess again.

I posted this earlier this month on CC on our return to the US:

NOT the great itinerary Princess promised at booking.  “Moroccan Passage” it was NOT.  Third effort to visit the country of Berber, Arabic and European cultures unsuccessful.  Likely no more opportunities.  While the first miss was on me (medical), the second on COVID, this one squarely was on Princess.  CDC currently rates travel to Morocco as “Level One” (Low threat).  Princess failed to insure the ship was covid-clear as it presumably was on embarkation and reportedly was the reason for denying entry to Casablanca at the “last minute.”  Rumors before departure had the ship missing Casablanca…  This was our 5th cruise on a “Royal” class, and the worst.  We really like the layout of this ship class, but Sky doesn’t enjoy the same respect as a ship of its predecessors (Royal, Regal, and Majestic), all of which we have sailed and offered a warm and inviting welcome.

The Good:

• Embarkation was easy and the “medallion” actually assisted.  Whether it made embarkation faster and more secure (and healthier) is unknown.
  • The contract crew were wonderful. The officers not so much.  Standoffish and with an attitude of “don’t bother me.”
  • The officers appeared unconcerned over Ukrainian nationals in the crew, of which there were many young men and women.  Little to no assistance.  They suffered similar difficulties like passengers with connectivity off the ship.  One told me she finally found one officer who let her make a call home…

The “Not So Good” in no particular order:

• The “medallion” stopped working immediately after embarkation.  Internet off the ship was unavailable.  Intranet (Medallion Net) also was unavailable.  Lines at the help desk were terribly long and answers unforthcoming.  Everything was blamed on “poor satellite coverage.”  Really?!? Pierside Port Everglades?!?  Only Internet access whole cruise was in port from mobile phones.
  • Our cabin (R614) never warmed up.  Setting the thermostat as high as it could go made the room barely tolerable.  Stewards were great and respectful of our priorities.
  • Food was not up to pre-Covid Princess standards.  Tolerable and edible come to mind.  Breakfast in Sabatini’s was good, as was dinner.  The claimed “best hamburger” at sea from the “Salty Dog” grill is actually possibly the worst on the high seas.
  • The ship rides like a 50-year old pickup with no springs over a washboard rutted road.
  • Enjoyed an average meal in the Crown Grill first night.  Better steak in the Bistro, with better and friendlier service and view.  Sabatini’s was okay for Italian.  Tried Soleil twice.  US mass-market level fare.  We are NOT foodies, but nothing good calling us back to any of the venues.  Relegated to eating mostly in the buffet for the second half of the cruise.
  • Buffet itself was substandard compared to two years ago.  Less choice and fewer options.  The chocolate chip cookies, a spouse favorite, were mostly missing and when present, not good.
  • Entertainment in the theater was several notches below what Princess provided in the past.  The comedian’s shtick was to make fun of people in the audience.  Two violists instead of four.
  • Trip to the Medical 6 days into the cruise to treat a suspected UTI was as if we were pariahs and disturbing the front office quiet.  Appointment required but door was always locked.  Did eventually get treatment and one pill!
  • Officers treated us like 5-year olds.  I’ve spent 30 years in the US Navy and first crossed the Pond in 1949.  Princess’ posture of restricting information is unsatisfactory, and demeaning.
  • Princess’ onboard mask policy was a recommendation only - up until a large segment of passengers flying back to the US tested positive for Covid 36 hours before arriving Southampton.  Then mask wearing became mandatory everywhere.
  • Washing of hands was monitored by crew at entrances to the buffet, with crew stationed to watch.  No where else.  The “watching” practice made and makes little to no sense and wastes crew man hours.
  • The ”medallion” is useless.  Throughout the cruise wait staff had to ask for our room number when ordering/delivering libations.  Had better responsiveness with a cruise card.

Princess has seen the last of us, sad to say.  They have become more “Carnival” and really cheapened their product.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CruiseNYC said:

We have one more Princess cruise planned for this year and then I think we’re done with Princess (we are Elite but the benefits are now negligible).  
We were on a Celebrity cruise this past December and internet was fine throughout the cruise. It was a Caribbean cruise so, of course, it would make sense that internet would be fine. However, there are several posts/reviews on current Celebrity transatlantic cruises and they have been posting and uploading pictures and videos every single day. It would seem that this is a Princess problem and not necessarily a satellite issue. 
Although we loved all of our Princess cruises and we’re looking forward to our November cruise, too, a customer service issue with Princess last year has turned us into Celebrity fans. 

Wow!  We could have written the very same thing.  We have one more short Princess cruise and then going back to Celebrity.  Too many horrendous problems with Princess.

See you on Celebrity!

• Like 4