The Daily for Friday 06/17/2022

richwmn

39 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. Thanks to all contributors. 

100 degree weather still into the future. No liquid sunshine in sight.

Jacqui your flowers are stunning. Looks like a botanical garden. 

Sandi the days are dragging by for you I'm sure. I would go crazy without a balcony. 

Sharon, we love Venice. I have a lace scarf from Burano. Are the ladies still sitting outside making their lace?  The best pizza besides the one we had in Naples is by the Rialto Bridge called Antico. I'd go to Venice just to eat at Antico..

We had our Mahjongg game last night and we had so much fun. I made a 1/2 gallon of Cosmo's, then switched to Cape Cod's because I ran out of Cointreau. Then the guys joined us and we played Code Names. Has anyone played this?

OluKai is my go to choice for flip flops. I have many colors. Amazon sells them now, but I'll be shopping for them in Maui in a few weeks. I'll wear flip flops and shorts til the snow flies!

Prayers,  cheers, and blessings. 

Joy, we love Venice too. It’s our 4th time.  Twice we rented apartments and twice we’ve been at this same hotel. I’m seriously thinking about canceling our future cruise plans and booking just Venice. But we have a lot to discuss, not sure just now. However, I’ll never come in June again. It’s too humid and crowded with young kids and college students. Early spring is the best.  And yes, the ladies are still sitting and making lace outside. I bought some lace coasters but I’m not going to use them as coasters. 

What are Cape Cod’s?

• Like 18

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. We have rain in our forecast!!!! I will believe it when it happens but this time it looks like a pretty good chance and supposedly spread out over a number of days. Hope springs eternal.

I love fish and chips, but will be eating lightly the rest of the day since several friends and I went out to breakfast this morning to celebrate my birthday. It was fun to get out and visit while it was still cool and it was nice to sit and visit . We plan to for lunch sometime next month. Not exactly the high life, but it will do. 

More later as the dog tells me I need to walk him.... now!!! at once!!! .... or else!!!

Susan

Happy Birthday, Susan. May your new year be filled with laughter, love, great health and just enough rain. 

7BDCA6D4-7921-424B-87BB-49ABE7D7CCA0.jpeg.c8bef6d608a531f2f7d028a9625539e6.jpeg

• Like 17

Good Afternoon All, thanks for the daily report.  I’m not a flip flop fan but DH wears them a lot and is on the hunt for a new pair.  The cats would enjoy today’s meal suggestion much more than me.  It’s been a very busy week with work.  Right now I have a small reprieve until the zoom sessions begin again.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

TGIF

image.thumb.png.90deedd4fe28b845aeca5eb1330b39a0.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

@Seasick Sailoryep, we’re pretty bored in this confined space. I would love to be on the balcony gazing out at the Norwegian scenery. We took naps both in the morning and afternoon, like newborn babies!  

I can’t believe your favorite pizza in Venice is the same as ours Antico Forno near Rialto. We always make a point to eat there. 958049A6-020F-4FAB-BFE1-6910A9F6F878.thumb.jpeg.68400b54917e5e4209d7a367fddffdbc.jpeg

Happy birthday to Susan @durangoscots!!

Since I don’t have much to offer today how about the little charmer who always makes me smile!  Sadie!!

A38F16C0-0210-402F-A789-3F0ADAEB71CE.thumb.jpeg.d6b33058ec2e5d678321736b89f9d7a8.jpeg

I see some lighter coloring showing up in her undercoat. I call it highlights! 🥰

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Auto correct changed LLBean to Lebanon.

Thanks for updating, I  tried to Google Lebanon flip flops!! I usually wear Clark's but am always looking for new styles. SoFlo is very flip flop friendly. 

Mary 

• Like 14

Good afternoon from central Texas.  @Seasick Sailor Joy, pretty well covered our forecast here which is about two hours north of her.

Today has another interesting combination of days.  Yesterday I bought some fresh veggies, and we'll have some of them tonight.  Flip-flops don't give me enough support, and like @kazu Jacquie, I wear birks most of the year.  I have a narrow foot, so I need ones with an upper and lower adjustable strap, and the part between the toes helps.  We haven't been taking too many road trips this year since it's been too hot to put the top down on the convertible.  🌡️😒 

We will be taking a road trip Sunday to visit the DDs and their guys in Austin.  With their busy schedules, it is difficult to find a weekend when everyone, besides us, is free.  We almost went last Sunday, but older DD called mid-week to tell us she was safely back from a business trip to Cambridge, England.  Then she dropped the bomb, one of her teammates had tested positive.  In an abundance of caution, we waited until this week, and thankfully, she never got sick.  In fact, only the teammate tested positive.

The quote by Aristotle is very true.  

We like fish and chips and always try to get them at least once when we are in England, and fortunately only had bad ones once.  Here, I buy the breaded fillets at the grocery store and cook them in the air fryer.  For some reason yesterday, the frozen fish section of the grocery store was blocked.  The fillets I can get here are not that great but will do in a pinch.  The Dailyites in the western US will recognize this name.  Smart & Final has beer battered cod fillets that are very good.  I just wish they came in a smaller box to fit in the freezer.  Tonight, we'll be having teriyaki glazed salmon and asparagus cooked in the air fryer, along with a salad and wine.

We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds interesting.

We have not been to Manzanillo, but after seeing the pictures, I want to find a cruise that stops there.  @summer slope, @GTVCRUISER, @aliaschief and @Overhead Fred  thank you for sharing your pictures with us.

@marshhawk  Ann, I hope you get the phone situation straightened out.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, since you didn't mention it, I am guessing the injection site did not have a bad reaction.  The story about the 3 month old baby and the dogs is so sad.  We get stories about children dying in hot cars several times a summer in Texas.  Like you, I don't understand how parents can forget their children are in the car.  I also do not understand pet owners who don't protect their pets.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, thank you for the pictures of Burano.  We enjoyed it more than Murano, but when you have limited time when in port, Burano is just too far away.  

@durangoscots 🎂 💐 🎈 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUSAN! 🌹 🍷 🎉 

I hope the rain forecast is correct.  Remember, by the law of averages, even the weather forecast has to be right sometimes.  🤣

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, we'll have to look for Antico next time we're in Venice.  We've also gotten good pizza at the Rialto Restaurant near the Rialto Bridge.  It's a good place to sit, enjoy pizza and wine while watching the people passing by.

@Overhead Fred  and @kazu  Fred and Jacqui, thank you for the pictures of your gardens.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for the picture of Sadie.  I'm sorry Princess does not use balcony cabins for the quarantine area.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday afternoon and evening!  

The concert in the park was much better than the one last week.  Just better music and definitely not so loud.  It is so fun to see others from our small town in a wide open space.  We missed two years of these Thursday evenings!

Trying to do lots of small jobs and a few errands.  I leave next Tuesday for Denver area to attend DGD's wedding on Wednesday and then will extend the trip by visiting a long-time friend for a few more days!  I NEED to get out of town since I have been here since February without a break.  Too long for me!

@durangoscotsa very happy birthday and it looks like rain might be coming to you.  Send what you don't want a couple of hundred miles north!

The summer farmer's market has opened, so maybe I can stop there tomorrow for a few veggies to have  before I leave.  Not sure everything is truly local yet, but it won't hurt to try.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone!

Mary Kay

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Prayers are asked for my DH's nephew (age 68) who was mowing his mother's lawn yesterday and going up a hill when the tractor tipped over on him. He has multiple injuries – fractured vetebra from mid-back to waist, broken ribs, fractured sternum, bruised lung, He has had surgery and rods, pins and screws were inserted to stabilize his spine. 

He was fortunate that neighbors were swimming in the lake his mother lives on and saw the accident. It took three men to get the tractor off him. He was pinned so tight he couldn't breathe but, thankfully, the men recognized the seriousness of his injuries and called 911 before trying to move him.

He has been the caregiver for his 89 year old widowed mother (my DH's sister). So, there are arrangements to be made for her care now and each's care when he leaves the hospital. We live six hours away, but, even if nearby, my DH's limited mobility and memory challenges would not make DH a suitable helper. Her only grandchild has stepped up temporarily...

Thanks, in advance, for your prayers,

-Melisa

• Like 6
  • Thanks 20

13 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Prayers are asked for my DH's nephew (age 68) who was mowing his mother's lawn yesterday and going up a hill when the tractor tipped over on him. He has multiple injuries – fractured vetebra from mid-back to waist, broken ribs, fractured sternum, bruised lung, He has had surgery and rods, pins and screws were inserted to stabilize his spine. 

He was fortunate that neighbors were swimming in the lake his mother lives on and saw the accident. It took three men to get the tractor off him. He was pinned so tight he couldn't breathe but, thankfully, the men recognized the seriousness of his injuries and called 911 before trying to move him.

He has been the caregiver for his 89 year old widowed mother (my DH's sister). So, there are arrangements to be made for her care now and each's care when he leaves the hospital. We live six hours away, but, even if nearby, my DH's limited mobility and memory challenges would not make DH a suitable helper. Her only grandchild has stepped up temporarily...

-Melisa

sending  prayers for  a  good outcome.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

What a tragic accident!  Prayers for your DH’s nephew.  I hope it’s a quick recovery. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@kazu spectacular flowers!  And a hibiscus outside,  your angel is watching! 
@HAL Sailer prayers for your nephew. 
@Overhead Fred the garden is looking great too, glad you could finally visit. 

Happy birthday @durangoscots

@Sharon in AZYou are in my favourite city,  thanks for all the photos,   My favourite souvenir is a Murano chandelier!   I agree with you on crocs, they have some cute ones now and I use them inside and out, great for any foot issues.

We love road trips, usually to Waterton Glacier international Peace Park our favourite 

Cameron lake

95369F6A-2FCF-44AF-AE72-50F1BA9A1F4F.jpeg

3AE10F30-60C7-46E3-A995-85CA750DC78C.jpeg

066DBE4B-02F5-49BA-8490-F0E8E702FD65.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

I love fish and chips, but will be eating lightly the rest of the day since several friends and I went out to breakfast this morning to celebrate my birthday. It was fun to get out and visit while it was still cool and it was nice to sit and visit . We plan to for lunch sometime next month. Not exactly the high life, but it will do. 

Wishing you a very happy birthday!

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.9deb54ae63fe04063a38b1ff25f6fd10.jpg

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Paulines late mam made her own batter and always put a dash of vinegar in the mix to make it crispy.

The cooking oil has to be very hot and you can tell if you drop a chip in and it swish sizzles the oil is hot enough and you will get crispy fish and chips.

If the oil is not hot enough you get greasy batter.

Graham 

Thanks, Graham.  Always nice to get it from the ones who know.  I would do the fries in the air fryer and perhaps the fish as well.  

17 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

I am so sorry to hear this.  Hugs, warm thoughts and prayers.  

@StLouisCruisers Hang in there!  This, too, shall pass.  

I am loving all the pictures of the gardens.  And, I am so jealous that I am only a Garden Club cheerleader.  The only things I can grow successfully are hostas.  Sun or shade, I can grow hostas.  That's it.  

Here are my flip flops.  I wear them to the pool on the ships and for pedicures   

IMG_1482.thumb.jpg.22f090b5f34927714f5ca3ef37c186c3.jpg

I like the sparkly stuff.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

Sending prayers. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

Our prayers 🙏 are on their way to you Melisa.

I'm so sorry to hear about his accident and hope he recovers well.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

What an awful accident. Prayers are on the way. Thankfully the accident was witnessed by people who knew what to do and what not to do.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1