The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday June 25th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning, I'm thinking of you all, but topmost, I'm afraid, is DH who could hardly walk last night and I'm trying to persuade him we need to visit the hospital or at least a walk-in clinic.  With spinal stenosis and now sciatica, I'm not even sure we will be travelling a week from today.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, I'm thinking of you all, but topmost, I'm afraid, is DH who could hardly walk last night and I'm trying to persuade him we need to visit the hospital or at least a walk-in clinic.  With spinal stenosis and now sciatica, I'm not even sure we will be travelling a week from today.  

Ann, I'm sorry to hear that your DH could hardly walk last night.  I don't want to alarm you, but those are the same problems that DH has.  Tell him what happened to DH Tuesday night.  After two nights in the hospital and getting an IV with 1000mg of Prednisone, he can walk again.  He will be having out patient physical therapy beginning Tuesday.  I agree a visit to the hospital or walk-in clinic might prevent your DH from going through what we did this week.  Sending very positive thoughts and best wishes that things improve for him soon.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

I noticed a town on the starboard side as we transited a fjord a while ago.  Checking the screen on the TV showing location I saw it was Molde.  Hey, isn't Nieuw Statendam there today?  Looking at Rich's Fleet report I saw it left Molde at 4 pm.  Well, ahead of us on our bridgecam at least 3 miles, is the Nieuw Statendam!  They are traveling 20 knots and we are only going 17 knots.  Nice to see a BHB, if even from afar!

I checked the distance on CruiseMapper. 

• Like 22

23 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Ann praying that Pat gets the help he need asap & gets on the road to recovery. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@Crazy For Cats bon voyage! 🍾

Fishing poor today so were my camera skills. The curious Loon put on a show near the boat but my memory card must not have been seated correctly. 😥

Thanks for the Daily Reports.  Prayers for all on Roy's care list and for people suffering due to the Ukraine war and the victims in Oslo. 

For log cabin day a pic of mine.   Have a wonderful day!  

IMG_20220625_110221756_HDR.jpg

• Like 30

32 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

So sorry to hear this. I hope he will go and get looked at, before it gets worse! Prayers for him and you as well.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@Crazy For Cats bon voyage! 🍾

Fishing poor today so were my camera skills. The curious Loon put on a show near the boat but my memory card must not have been seated correctly. 😥

Thanks for the Daily Reports.  Prayers for all on Roy's care list and for people suffering due to the Ukraine war and the victims in Oslo. 

For log cabin day a pic of mine.   Have a wonderful day!  

IMG_20220625_110221756_HDR.jpg

What a beautiful setting and cabin.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Good morning, Dailyite family. Thanks to everyone for caring and sharing. I’m still trying to catch up with reading the Daily/Fleet Reports. 

It’s going to be hot (again) today. I’ll be going to a funeral of a family friend this morning, and then a potluck with my bible study this afternoon. I have my macaroni salad ready and I’m bringing another bowl for ice to set the salad in. 

I’ve got my suitcases out for my trip to Amsterdam (3 days) and then boarding the Rotterdam.  I keep checking to be sure the flights are still there. Got a scare a couple weeks ago when the first leg was GONE but luckily it was back in less than 24 hours. Whew!

Enjoy!

Terri

• Like 9

Good morning all!

I'm rushing this morning, and getting a late start.  I was awake from 1-4 am this morning for absolutely no reason at all.  I had planned to get an early start on putting some stain on the lattice part of our deck, but now it won't be so early after finally sleeping until 8:30.   It's heating up here, to low 80's today and high 80's by Monday. I want to work on it in the early mornings because the sun comes around that side of the house in the afternoon.

I love log cabins and when given the choice, will always choose that when traveling.  Catfish is ok, but not my favorite fish.  3 cheers to bartenders and mixologists.  Will pass on the turkey sloppy joes, I prefer beef and my turkey prepared other ways.  Will also pass on the red wine and drink.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisersYAY that your DH has been sprung!

Melissa @HAL SailerI'm so sorry that your nephew has mental difficulties along with the physical ones.  Sending hugs and prayers.

Ann @Vict0riannprayers that your DH can get help quickly and that you're able to get to your cruise.

Well, DSIL's sister got a bunny recently, not knowing that she was pregnant.  Six babies were found -- and now DD and the DGSs want a couple bunnies (to join their cat, frogs, Stick bugs and future dog.) 😂  She assured me that they will get 2 males! 

DSIL's sister is a photographer -- here's a photo of the babies. They were in an underground nest, so by the time they were found they weren't newborn anymore!

bunnies.thumb.jpg.ce49151cff70235c604d9c68e75087e8.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Nearly ready for dinner. We’ve been enjoying looking at all the other ships, ferries, sailboats, and darling villages along the way. 

We are below the Arctic Circle now so no Midnight Sun but last night I took a nice photo of the sun before sunset, at 11:15 pm before I went to bed. I think sunset would have been 20 minutes later.  Between Trondheim and Andalsnes.8A9FB4CF-7605-4CF9-9A17-D8CBACCA4667.thumb.jpeg.3243cea25fbad67b99b2bb5b0e872ac4.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

A late good morning or an early good afternoon depending where you live.  It is not quite noon and it's already 95F.  Tomorrow will be the last 100+day until next Sunday.  I never thought I'd hope for days in the 90sF, but we'll take any cooling we can.  Instead of mowing the yard, which is beginning to look bad, today, I'm waiting until Monday.  That will be the coolest day with a predicted high of 92F and cloudy.

I've always liked the look of a log cabin, but have never stayed in one.  Now days, they are more like log mansions.  In Texas, is easy to find catfish, but it's usually fried.  That's our version of fish and chips.  I prefer my catfish grilled and with the right seasoning it can be good.  We haven't had it in a few years as we mostly have salmon now.  We don't drink cocktails often, but the bartenders on BHBs are wonderful.

I like the Dr. Seuss quote.

It's been years since we.ve had sloppy joes, but they are always with ground beef.  DH really likes them, and I think they're okay.  I may have to put Manwich on the grocery list.  We will pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice, and  I enjoy a good zinfandel.

We have not been to Guaymas -- yet.

@Crazy For Cats  BON VOYAGE!

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, @Cruzin Terri  Terri gave you some very good advice.  Listen to your bodies and don't over do.  At the same time, enjoy the rest of your cruise.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm sorry Sam is still in the hospital, but if that prevents pneumonia then it's worthwhile.  Enjoy your special day tomorrow.

@HAL Sailer  Melissa, I'm so sorry Curt has mental confusion on top of everything else.  I hope that it is just a temporary side effect of the accident and anesthesia.  I feel sorry for DH's DS having to sell her beloved lake property.  It takes a strong person to make such a decision.  I hope she is happy  in her new home once she moves and settles in.  Your family are in my thoughts during this time.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm sorry the leg was not better last night.  I hope the antibiotics clear up the infection soon.

@dobiemom  Your trip and cruise sound lovely.  When do you leave?

@ottahand7  The cabin with the grounds and lake look so relaxing.  However, I could not put up with the mosquitoes and black flies.

@Cruising-along  The bunnies look cute.  I hope you DD and DGS enjoy the rabbits.

@Vict0riann  Ann, DH had steroid shots in the outer hip near the bursa sac.  They help him greatly for quite a few years before they stopped working.  When we met you on the Koningsdam, Pat looked like he was doing all right, so maybe he just twisted his back wrong, and is at the stage where regular steroid shots will help for several years.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone. Packing for our Bermuda cruise starts today, along with haircuts.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Growing up there was a log homes manufacturer in my hometown called Boyne Falls Log Homes that produced some spectacular log homes so hats off to log cabins.  I do like catfish, very tasty.  Can’t beat a good bartender.  Fun quote today.  I like the meal suggestion, the drink and the wine.  I have not been to today’s port, hopefully there will be a nice photo or two.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

image.jpeg.66d1da1af91aafd8468e61b74a295dd2.jpeg

Are you willing to share what ship and date?

Roy

• Like 11

Good morning.... barely. It is fairly comfortable right now and we may have thunder showers this afternoon. Since I have turned our sprinklers off, temporarily, I am carefully monitoring the rain. So far we have exceeded the June average rainfall but are still in severe drought. 

I am currently fostering a dog from the shelter. A chihuahua.... all 3 pounds of him. He was an owner surrender from an older woman who was having to go live with family who could not take him and he was terrified by the noise of other dogs and also the construction. He and my Shih Tzu get along well and I may become a "foster fail". He is about 4 years old. He seems very happy right here. Interesting that no one has asked about or applied for him. Our little dogs usually go fast and he was there for a week before I brought him home.

I am enjoying following along with the people who are posting from their cruises. So far I have not heard anything that would keep me away except possibly for that @!!* covid.

Susan and Bandit and temporarily at least, ? (He has a name that I don't like)

• Like 23

Good evening.

It is 19.00pm and still 64°F.

We have just had dinner in our garden Room.

Nothing much on the TV tonight so we are just sitting relaxing.

Pauline is reading her book and I am on Cruise Critic.

Graham.

IMG_20220625_181337.jpg

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Sorry to hear Pat is struggling to walk Ann.

Hopefully you can pursuade him to get checked out.

Take care.

• Like 11

Good afternoon from cloudy Wisconsin.  I've been following the "Daily" for a long time, but haven't really posted here.  I've rejoiced with happy days and prayed for everyone with sadness and troubles in their lives.  Today though, I had to say something about the Old Fashioned!  Here, it's a Brandy Old Fashioned!  They are a BIGGIE here, think Friday Lake Perch Fish Fry and a Brandy Old Fashioned at your local supper club.  

I found this about the tradition here! 

A Midwest twist on a classic cocktail.

In most of the United States, an Old Fashioned is most often made with bourbon or whiskey, sugar, bitters, and a twist of orange and/or cherry for garnish. Wisconsin, however, does things differently.

The only real commonality in Wisconsin’s version of the Old Fashioned is the sugar and the bitters. The Sconnie version swaps the bourbon or whiskey for brandy and muddles in a slice of orange and boozy cherries. The bartender will also ask whether you want a sour (an added splash of Sprite) or sweet wash (with an added splash of soda water).

It’s a fairly large divergence from the classic cocktail, but enormously popular in Wisconsin. You’d be hard-pressed to find a bar within the state limits that isn’t able to prepare the drink that way.

There’s an oft circulated story that the brandied version came to prominence following the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. Bartenders will often tell their guests that the reason Wisconsinites drink brandy is because the Korbel brothers came from California with cases of brandy to give away samples at the Fair. Because there were so many train routes from Wisconsin into Chicago, oodles of Wisconsinites, many of whom were immigrants from Germany where brandy was more popular, came and took notice.

When I see the word Log Cabin, I think of a quilt square!  The 3rd row is my "non-traditional" log cabin square.  Have a great day!  Karen

20210506_094342.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ktbraun said:

Good afternoon from cloudy Wisconsin.  I've been following the "Daily" for a long time, but haven't really posted here.  I've rejoiced with happy days and prayed for everyone with sadness and troubles in their lives.  Today though, I had to say something about the Old Fashioned!  Here, it's a Brandy Old Fashioned!  They are a BIGGIE here, think Friday Lake Perch Fish Fry and a Brandy Old Fashioned at your local supper club.  

In most of the United States, an Old Fashioned is most often made with bourbon or whiskey, sugar, bitters, and a twist of orange and/or cherry for garnish. Wisconsin, however, does things differently.

The only real commonality in Wisconsin’s version of the Old Fashioned is the sugar and the bitters. The Sconnie version swaps the bourbon or whiskey for brandy and muddles in a slice of orange and boozy cherries. The bartender will also ask whether you want a sour (an added splash of Sprite) or sweet wash (with an added splash of soda water).

It’s a fairly large divergence from the classic cocktail, but enormously popular in Wisconsin. You’d be hard-pressed to find a bar within the state limits that isn’t able to prepare the drink that way.

There’s an oft circulated story that the brandied version came to prominence following the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. Bartenders will often tell their guests that the reason Wisconsinites drink brandy is because the Korbel brothers came from California with cases of brandy to give away samples at the Fair. Because there were so many train routes from Wisconsin into Chicago, oodles of Wisconsinites, many of whom were immigrants from Germany where brandy was more popular, came and took notice.

When I see the word Log Cabin, I think of a quilt square!  The 3rd row is my "non-traditional" log cabin square.  Have a great day!  Karen

20210506_094342.jpg

Welcome to the Daily (and Fleet Report). Since you've been reading and following for some time, you already know this is the friendliest, most supportive site on CC.  Please join us any time.

Lenda 

• Like 20

14 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Welcome to the Daily (and Fleet Report). Since you've been reading and following for some time, you already know this is the friendliest, most supportive site on CC.  Please join us any time.

Lenda 

+1.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, ktbraun said:

20210506_094342.jpg

Welcome aboard, Karen!

• Like 14

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope I recognize you with a mask and all!  I saw Kay and Jim today a few times. 

I've been wondering if you ladies noticed your skin taking a beating on this cruise?  Mine is rough and bumpy from low humidity, I guess, somewhere.  Not sure if it's the ship's air or Norway but I rather think the ship.  I had bumpy textured skin in Antarctica where it's so dry, but this is even worse!  I am using up lots of skin lotions but still feel like elephant skin.

My skin is normal so the ship's air is not bothering me. But there is "covid skin sensitivity." Could that be it? I never had any after effects both times I had covid, but some do.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3