The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 14th, 2022

richwmn

12 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Roy, my condolences on the passing of your family member. I believe you said she was 90, but I’m sure it was still a shock. Are you planning on attending the services?

I won't be and so far I haven't heard when they might be.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

32 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! I have a lot of respect for sharks,   The movie Jaws did it for me, lol.  
I don’t like two faced people either,  particular those who pretend to be nice then…..  I much prefer straightforward people.  

We’ve visited Athens many times,  so I will post photos from Meteora where we visited last cruise as we had an overnight in Athens,  so that allowed us to visit and stay overnight.  We often do different things if we’ve visited a port more than once. 

Sandi,  I am so sorry  to hear of the loss of Buddy,  my deepest condolences to you and your family.  
@Heartgrove sorry to hear your news.  
@HAL Sailer glad to hear some good news.  
@aliaschief for Norway we found having a good goretex jacket, along with light Merino wool layers worked really well.  We were blessed with good weather, but that combo is light and works as well in Ireland, Japan etc along with a light pack able down vest or jacket.  

487E02F3-3C9C-480D-B766-D3E1C454E8EF.jpeg

0BB08648-8368-432D-8781-6BB077FF9D4F.jpeg

7AEC0A3B-7D4B-4394-B27B-646C83D89AE5.jpeg

668EA191-A2EB-4E81-9E23-0774E9BD1480.jpeg

D013FC6D-5CEF-443A-8189-A6A663ED4EDC.jpeg

D0939BF3-54CA-4B5C-8910-8E20B3CA9420.jpeg

D7B0C86C-140F-4206-AFA9-6CAEC32A95D6.jpeg

64980327-48C5-4E4E-BD68-88A7CFC74748.jpeg

9E7EA6E6-C711-4342-9A6D-DFA7D457A10B.jpeg

8FE67A90-B609-4AE4-868A-E05F755C3C4E.jpeg

BD8DD62A-4BB7-43F9-9A05-AB72BFBEA6ED.jpeg

07BBDBB8-3B34-4AF9-AACE-232F14F32FA8.jpeg

6110DA94-5BA9-4360-9ED5-5CFA4D196ADC.jpeg

Great shots!  I loved Meteora.  Our day wasn’t as clear as yours though.

30 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@kazu  any estimates about when Shadow may arrive?

Roy

I believe they hope to fly her out to Toronto on August 1st.  The group here then has to get her into N.B.  I’ll probably have more of an update as it gets closer 🤞 

25 minutes ago, Dr.Dobro said:

The changing of the guards, called Evzones, at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Athens. The high-stepping choreography and very unusual uniforms can draw giggles from foreigners, but membership in the Evzones is a great honor that celebrates several Greek military traditions.

AthensDupe.jpg

Nice shot!  We had the good fortune to see this one time in Athens.  We were not giggling at all - very impressed!

• Like 20

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends.  It is so nice to come to such a friendly, warm, comforting place each day.  Thank you all who have sent your sympathy to Buddy's family since I signed off last night which includes @kb4683, @Seasick Sailor, @cunnorl, @ger_77, @erewhon, @Cruzin Terri, @HAL Sailer, @TiogaCruiser, @grapau27, @Vict0riann, @puppycanducruise, @cat shepard, @kazu, @seagarsmoker, @4966and556 and @dfishyou are all wonderful caring people or as Ann @marshhawksays, our angels.  Buddy's family all appreciate your condolences and even though Amy is a strong woman she could use your prayers.  Thank you all.

Happy Bastille Day to our French friends.  I will say yes to macaroni and cheese, no to sharks and pandemonium.  I think the rose' sounds quite nice, no to the drink and tofu suggestion.  Another odd Marilyn Monroe quote.  Piraeus (Athens) was the port of the day on Dec. 24, 2021.  We had many photos posted that day but I wasn't one of the posters due to the fact we drove to Ohio that day and it was late in the day before I got around to reading and posting.  I'll wait and see if we have a lot of photos today or not before I go hunting for my photos.  I looked up our visits there and we've been there 5 times so I must have a few photos.  We didn't go into Athens each visit, I do know that.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for posting all these discussion topics today on the Fleet Report and Daily!

Also thanks go to Roy @rafinmdfor his Care and Celebration lists.  I appreciate your mention of Buddy's passing.  It's been quite the journey since his first surgery for throat cancer right before Christmas.  Prayers were said this morning for all before I even hit the treadmill.  By the way, there was minor pain in the leg overnight.  I'm hoping to keep it manageable and perhaps it will go away on its own with time.  As for the celebrants, cheers to all of you!  Debbie @dfishsafe travels today and this weekend as you head out for your cruise.  We will miss you however and look forward to seeing you back here Aug. 2.  Good luck today Graham @grapau27at your doctor appointment.  Hope everything works out well.  Also hope Sarah is feeling better every day.  Jacqui @kazuShadow is a handsome dog!  I know he will be lucky to have such a great Mom when he arrives.  Sorry about the toe but hope it's looking a little better.  Glad you found the weeding tool to help make life easier for you.  And don't work too hard!  Jack @HeartgroveI'm sorry to hear your DB doesn't seem to be doing well lately.  I hope you can get that very important visit in with him next week.  That wedding is finally here!  Safe travels there.

I forgot my weather report!  It's cloudy as it has been a lot lately.  More rain expected here and there during the day.  I wish I could send some to those who need it (my DD in Cincinnati for one).  As long as it's not flooding I'll take the rain.  Have a great day everyone!

So sorry for your loss.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Back from Endodontist’s office.  All I can say is that people have jobs and they do not know what the #$%& they are doing!

i am trying to be nice.

It took her 45 minutes to figure out how to pull up the first EOB.  Then she could not find the claim for the secondary claim.  When I asked to see the resolution she said there is none.  Then she wanted the balance.  I said NO.  

She will refile the claim.

We shall see.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 8

Just now, kazu said:

Great shots!  I loved Meteora.  Our day wasn’t as clear as yours though.

I believe they hope to fly her out to Toronto on August 1st.  The group here then has to get her into N.B.  I’ll probably have more of an update as it gets closer 🤞 

Nice shot!  We had the good fortune to see this one time in Athens.  We were not giggling at all - very impressed!

That brings back memories, visiting Athens was the highlight of our Turkey, Greece and Greek Islands cruise back in 1999 as I was able to meet some of my Greek relatives who I never met before. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

I am still home.  Airline has delayed flight time twice.  Hope it goes at 3-1/2 hours late.  I "think" that American is playing around so that there is only flight a day out of here to PHX and then one flight back.  Who knows.  Hope your flights are better @dfishand Bon Voyage!

Flights out of Durango are being cut back too. I need to plan to go east to see my Sister, but I dread the plane hassle as I really have to fly through Denver. Don't want to leave my car for a week in Albuquerque.

Susan

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, all! Like many, I think we’ve all had our share of Pandemonium in the last two years and I’ll pass, thanks. Mac and cheese has my full support, and sounds good for tonight.

Well, yesterday was one of those days that surprised us, but in a good way. In the morning, DH got a call from the local supermarket. They have a continuous raffle going, where you put your name and phone # on your receipt and pop it into a bin for the item you like. Something is drawn for every few days. Some time back I put our receipt in for a pop up shade tent. Yesterday it was drawn for, and we won! I was expecting something hat might shade a couple of deck chairs, or possibly just a beach blanket. It turns out to be a 12’ X 10’ screened tent with two doors. It fits over the propane fire table and deck chairs with room to walk around them, and 9’ of clearance in the center! We had just been talking about what a bad mosquito year it is, and how it takes the joy out of evenings outside. Now we have our summer nights back in comfort. What an exciting surprise!

Happy Friday, everyone! I’m off with my coffee to sit in the new screen gazebo and pretend it’s a cabana on a BHB!

image.thumb.jpg.fe550349a28d5e9420bc4d917b71c666.jpg

• Like 34

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

BTW Terri, after looking at the picture of you and DH, I think we have been on a cruise with you, but I don't think we ever met.

It is very possible.  We did quite a number of HAL cruises (especially in the Med,  and sometimes in the Caribbean) prior to moving over to Oceania.  We usually sailed in a Neptune Suite.  Might have seen each other in the Neptune Lounge.  Sorry we did not get to meet.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 18

10 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I still cannot figure out how to separate the photos and add a caption to them.

Terri

I think I can help you - Just insert one photo at a time and then hit enter to make a couple of spaces and then insert the new photo.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

And a good morning to everyone!!! I headed out early for a dental appointment. All is well with the teeth and my black eye was much admired. And, when I pulled back into the condo I saw one of my neighbors out with a paint bucket painting a bright white stripe as a caution. Hopefully it will keep someone else from face planting on the asphalt.

Have not been to Athens. Another on the "to do" list. I like Mac and cheese but don't eat it often due to carb count. And I like my days quiet and dull just now, thank you. 

@kazu... Shadow looks nice. I proudly wear my T-***** that says "My favorite breed is rescue" these days. I have to admit that I really need something alive in the house with me. My dogs are not terribly active, but they are here. And, if I walk around muttering I can always say I am talking to the dogs.

Susan

• Like 24

11 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

It is very possible.  We did quite a number of HAL cruises (especially in the Med,  and sometimes in the Caribbean) prior to moving over to Oceania.  We usually sailed in a Neptune Suite.  Might have seen each other in the Neptune Lounge.  Sorry we did not get to meet.

Terri

I think it is possible that we saw each other, but it would not have been in a Neptune suite.  We have never sailed in one.

9 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I still cannot figure out how to separate the photos and add a caption to them.

Terri

Terri, it took some trial and error to figure out how to separate photos and to have a caption.  In reality, it boils down to spacing.  

Oops, I see that @kazu  Jacqui beat me to it.

As far as adding a caption above the picture, when I space down between pictures, I write what I want to say, then add the picture just under the caption without an extra line for space.

You will notice on pictures I posted early on and are reposting, there is not a space between the pictures.  I could probably add a space, but it would take time.

Lenda

• Like 20

Good morning everyone!

I opened my email and there was a Panera Bread email about macaroni and cheese day and I immediately thought of Roy. Maybe you will have that today @rafinmd.  Thank you for your reply about going to the services for your cousin. Maybe they will stream them so you can watch. 

Thank you @0106 for the macaroni and cheese recipe from Emeril. You will be a great stand-in for Debbie @dfish while she is enjoying her cruise. Debbie have a great time!  Bon Voyage!

We were supposed to go to Piraeus/Athens on the Rotterdam in 2001 but they were having a transportation strike and we went to Potmos instead. 

I am probably the only person here that likes tofu but I wouldn’t want cabbage and coconut with it. I actually had a great Asian tofu dish on our BA flight from Venice to Heathrow. Craig had a beef dish that he ranted and raved over. Who knew airline food could be so good. 
31977DC6-6088-4D6F-A59D-211F658C3C89.thumb.jpeg.84ee1cb681a1e4a8aafe4e120d04b9ea.jpeg

10B05949-A311-4073-9497-81B72D31383B.thumb.jpeg.7b92ca7022b1bd129ff693fdee944b11.jpeg

I somehow ran across this picture from our M&G last month. It was at the bottom of the page on CC, a place I don’t look at very often. I am the only one wearing a mask but I was concerned about spreading covid since Craig had been taken to covid jail just the day before  I’m not sure why it’s dated July 5th  because it was taken June 3rd.  Oh, I see now that it has the right date on the bottom  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25

Good morning Dailyites. 

I have not gotten past the 1st page this morning. I'll catch up later. Hope everyone is doing well. Prayers for Buddy's entire family. Have an awesome time in Norway Debbie. 

Today is my sisters last day so we are getting a full day in. 

My sweet husbands birthday is today and we will be going to Hula Grill for dinner.

Peace, prayers and blessings 

• Like 21

56 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

So sorry for your loss.

Thank you @MISTER 67.  

55 minutes ago, Suslor said:

Condolences to @StLouis Cruiserand family on Buddy’s passing 🙏 and cheers to @HAL Sailerthat Curt is recovering so well. Bon voyage to those getting ready to sail, I envy you 🤪. Susan

Thanks so much Susan.  

44 minutes ago, Love the beach said:

Hello everyone and thank you for the Daily & Fleet report.

Just wanted to extend my condolences to @rafinmdand @StLouis Cruiser.

Sorry for your losses, may they rest in peace.

Wishing @dfish a wonderful trip!

Prayers for all in need and shout outs to all celebrating.

Marge

I appreciate your sympathy Marge.  Feels like a lot of loss in our family's world the past 18 months.

41 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Like many, I think we’ve all had our share of Pandemonium in the last two years and I’ll pass, thanks. Mac and cheese has my full support, and sounds good for tonight.

Well, yesterday was one of those days that surprised us, but in a good way. In the morning, DH got a call from the local supermarket. They have a continuous raffle going, where you put your name and phone # on your receipt and pop it into a bin for the item you like. Something is drawn for every few days. Some time back I put our receipt in for a pop up shade tent. Yesterday it was drawn for, and we won! I was expecting something hat might shade a couple of deck chairs, or possibly just a beach blanket. It turns out to be a 12’ X 10’ screened tent with two doors. It fits over the propane fire table and deck chairs with room to walk around them, and 9’ of clearance in the center! We had just been talking about what a bad mosquito year it is, and how it takes the joy out of evenings outside. Now we have our summer nights back in comfort. What an exciting surprise!

Happy Friday, everyone! I’m off with my coffee to sit in the new screen gazebo and pretend it’s a cabana on a BHB!

What a nice surprise!  That will definitely make sitting outside more comfortable.

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

I have not gotten past the 1st page this morning. I'll catch up later. Hope everyone is doing well. Prayers for Buddy's entire family. Have an awesome time in Norway Debbie. 

Today is my sisters last day so we are getting a full day in. 

My sweet husbands birthday is today and we will be going to Hula Grill for dinner.

Peace, prayers and blessings 

Happy Birthday to Allen today (and many more)!  Thank you for the prayers my friend.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I am probably the only person here that likes tofu

I love tofu!  People just need to try it; it is a very healthy source of protein.  I am a pescatarian but my husband says it’s not a meal without meat so never fear, I will try to provide recipes to meet everyone’s taste in the next two weeks.  

Also, thanks to all who have provided words of encouragement while I fill in for Debbie.  I’m having a great time searching for recipes.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Here's a photo of our damaged skylight.  It was taken by the roofer who gave us the first estimate.  As he said, "something had to have hit it very, very hard".  No bird could have done this.  Still hoping we'll find out what did this.

skylight.thumb.jpg.ac110181711e6117bbf11020d928642d.jpg

After having done the tours around Athens and outlying areas on previous visits, our last time there we just did the HOHO and walked around.

HOHO buses in the parking lot next to our ship.

319609347_HOHObuses.jpg.fc61a9828c96a5bc37330b04f6a0e0f2.jpg

Oops, almost forgot ---

Debbie @dfishBon Voyage!!!

@HAL Sailersuch good news about Curt!

@ger_77what a wonderful job you did on that bag -- it looks great!

@Quartzsite Cruiser"My Life in Ruins" is indeed a cute movie.  They seem to play it on every cruise in the Med.

Wow, on the sky light.  It is good that it is double paned otherwise, you'd have a real mess on your hands, not to mention being open to the elements.  

I think that is the Ho-Ho we took in 2019 to see Piraeus and Athens.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! I have a lot of respect for sharks,   The movie Jaws did it for me, lol.  
I don’t like two faced people either,  particular those who pretend to be nice then…..  I much prefer straightforward people.  

We’ve visited Athens many times,  so I will post photos from Meteora where we visited last cruise as we had an overnight in Athens,  so that allowed us to visit and stay overnight.  We often do different things if we’ve visited a port more than once. 

Sandi,  I am so sorry  to hear of the loss of Buddy,  my deepest condolences to you and your family.  
@Heartgrove sorry to hear your news.  
@HAL Sailer glad to hear some good news.  
@aliaschief for Norway we found having a good goretex jacket, along with light Merino wool layers worked really well.  We were blessed with good weather, but that combo is light and works as well in Ireland, Japan etc along with a light pack able down vest or jacket.  

487E02F3-3C9C-480D-B766-D3E1C454E8EF.jpeg

0BB08648-8368-432D-8781-6BB077FF9D4F.jpeg

7AEC0A3B-7D4B-4394-B27B-646C83D89AE5.jpeg

668EA191-A2EB-4E81-9E23-0774E9BD1480.jpeg

D013FC6D-5CEF-443A-8189-A6A663ED4EDC.jpeg

D0939BF3-54CA-4B5C-8910-8E20B3CA9420.jpeg

D7B0C86C-140F-4206-AFA9-6CAEC32A95D6.jpeg

64980327-48C5-4E4E-BD68-88A7CFC74748.jpeg

9E7EA6E6-C711-4342-9A6D-DFA7D457A10B.jpeg

8FE67A90-B609-4AE4-868A-E05F755C3C4E.jpeg

BD8DD62A-4BB7-43F9-9A05-AB72BFBEA6ED.jpeg

07BBDBB8-3B34-4AF9-AACE-232F14F32FA8.jpeg

6110DA94-5BA9-4360-9ED5-5CFA4D196ADC.jpeg

Enjoyed the pictures of Meteora.  That is one place we have not visited.  Hopefully, some day.

1 hour ago, Dr.Dobro said:

The changing of the guards, called Evzones, at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Athens. The high-stepping choreography and very unusual uniforms can draw giggles from foreigners, but membership in the Evzones is a great honor that celebrates several Greek military traditions.

AthensDupe.jpg

Great picture.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I hope Shadow has better luck with flights than you and other Dailyites have had recently.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Back from Endodontist’s office.  All I can say is that people have jobs and they do not know what the #$%& they are doing!

i am trying to be nice.

It took her 45 minutes to figure out how to pull up the first EOB.  Then she could not find the claim for the secondary claim.  When I asked to see the resolution she said there is none.  Then she wanted the balance.  I said NO.  

She will refile the claim.

We shall see.

Terri

Trying to correct a billing mistake at the dentist or doctor's office can be a nightmare.  We've been through that, and it took many phone calls and months to get the double billing reversed.

51 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Flights out of Durango are being cut back too. I need to plan to go east to see my Sister, but I dread the plane hassle as I really have to fly through Denver. Don't want to leave my car for a week in Albuquerque.

Susan

Hope you can get a flight that is not too much of a hassle.

47 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Lucky you.  The gazebo looks nice, and will definitely help with the mosquito problem.

25 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

And a good morning to everyone!!! I headed out early for a dental appointment. All is well with the teeth and my black eye was much admired. And, when I pulled back into the condo I saw one of my neighbors out with a paint bucket painting a bright white stripe as a caution. Hopefully it will keep someone else from face planting on the asphalt.

Susan

Susan, it sounds like you have a great group of neighbors who look after each other.  I hope the white stripe helps others from a fall.  Glad you are doing better.

@ger_77  The shopping tote looks very nice.

@Sharon in AZ  Nice picture of the M&G.

@Seasick Sailor  Hope you and your sister have a great day, and wishes for safe travels for her tomorrow.  How is her eye today?  🎂 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALLEN! 🥂

I found this picture of the stadium where the first modern Olympic games were held in Athens.

DSC06374.thumb.JPG.0503a1d3050277a3fa4bb21087ba2ef1.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I've been sitting here checking out my photo books made after each cruise, and saw a few photos that pertained to Piraeus instead of Athens.  On our first cruise to Athens on Crown Princess in 2012, we toured the Acropolis and Plaka.  On the Prinsendam in 2014 we were there twice, once at the beginning of the Black Sea cruise, then at the beginning of the next cruise to the Holy Land.  We stayed at a hotel a block from Pasalimani Harbor in Piraeus.  Here's a photo of the harbor taken from our lunch restaurant.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIyXXvSddyYWQ784EHOcFIY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780235

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKv8sMZS2YhlkhhdI35dURA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780224

And our lunch00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOpEdSGpfCO1-36LmB9KPt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780231

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKwgAXh7fN78ZxsocD4WddB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780231

In December 2018 we were crossing from Europe to the U.S. on the Pacific Princess.  Our stop in Piraeus was on Dec. 1.  We walked from the ship's dock to Pasalimani Harbor again to do some wine and water shopping.  If only I could speak Greek I'd know what these stores sold.  No clue!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ-xm95KOk0YllmY3Cn76gB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390364

I loved the little tree on the sidewalk with a pretty explicit warning.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJgmc1p1Jq4MF5yM7QtJSB4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390372

These kitties lived right in the doorway of this residence.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJkKAFp3inCjbwNoiibYYyw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1657809666

In Greece you park anywhere your car will fit, even if it's at the intersection of two streets.  We saw a lot of double parking too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKvlL2C3W2lzu3pATAU7d2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390431

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ-dbk1PLOU4-dc35H1eImg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385599

This was the grocery store.  They had moving escalator ramps you put your cart on and it moved on up to the second or third floor.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKq-J6JltO51tDlfouPXTn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390404

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLLxUo3C2qAZH1F6O0W0mby?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1562699625

We passed by an archaeological museum on the way back to the ship.  This was the site of an ampitheater and they had all these stone objects lining the lot.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKWWTrr_ZJz8rzvod6tBzR0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390424

The Piraeus dock where our 2019 cruise began.  It was the Emerald Princess and we enjoyed 14 days onboard.  At day 7 the rest of our family joined us in Barcelona to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversay.  We had to celebrate it during mid-summer due to everyone's school and work commitments since our true anniversary date was Sept. 6.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIJOfNuYTK1fSRWiLD2qUDW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1562704435

My parents insisted that I learned the Greek Language when I was in elementary school, so just like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, off I went to Greek School 2 days a week right after my classes in elementary school. I've forgotten a lot of what I was taught as it was back in the late 1950s but the one shop I believe sells religious articles and candles, the shops owners last name is Constantinos, not sure of his first but I think it's Vendikos

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

I just received an email from Karen @luvteaching

She is currently on the Westerdam and has been reading the Daily every day but the internet is blocking her from signing onto CC so she can post.  😱 

Here is her update copy and pasted in bold.

We're having a lovely cruise (Seattle roundtrip). We left Sunday andembarkation was a breeze. Our boarding time was 12:20 and we were in our cabin by then! Ship has about 1200 passengers. 

In Glacier Bay yesterday the port side azipod went down. We didn't get as close to the glacier as we have in the past but it was still nice. Today our stop is Sitka and we'll be in at about 10:45 AM. which is almost 3 hours late. HAl is flying in an expert and they are hoping to get the azipod fixed. At this point, though, Ketchikan has been canceled and we'll head straight for Victoria. The Captain is Captain Smit and he is doing well at keeping us informed. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 15

Today's Acropolis photos remind me of a warm memory (and a bit of a giggle) that my late DM wouldn't mind my sharing…

At age 86, DM joined us on a HAL cruise with a stop in Piraeus and a shorex to Athens. DM really wanted to see the Parthenon and started the climb up the Acropolis. Part way, she didn't think she could finish and sat down.

Leaving her there, I offered to count the steps plus the paths to the top and then come back so she could make a decision about staying or trying again. Reaching the top wasn't much farther and I realized that she was sitting directly below where I stood.

Deciding I would call down to her before going down, I called out, "mother, Mother, MOTHER." No response. I switched to "Doris, Doris, Doris" again to no response. I tried again "Doris, Doris, DORIS." She looked around (but not up) very puzzled until a passing person pointed up saying, "I think someone up there is trying to get your attention."

DM did decide to continue. I went back to finish the climb with her and she celebrated reaching the top.

Later, when telling others, she would often add that upon hearing "Doris, Doris, Doris" from above she had been certain it was the Greek gods 'calling her home' but it turned out only to be Melisa...

My DM -- 1999 -- age 86

IMG_20220714_131621783.thumb.jpg.48f678c2d476824ee4a7a09ec352f1ad.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

13 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Today's Acropolis photos remind me of a warm memory (and a bit of a giggle) that my late DM wouldn't mind my sharing…

At age 86, DM joined us on a HAL cruise with a stop in Piraeus and a shorex to Athens. DM really wanted to see the Parthenon and started the climb up the Acropolis. Part way, she didn't think she could finish and sat down.

Leaving her there, I offered to count the steps plus the paths to the top and then come back so she could make a decision about staying or trying again. Reaching the top wasn't much farther and I realized that she was sitting directly below where I stood.

Deciding I would call down to her before going down, I called out, "mother, Mother, MOTHER." No response. I switched to "Doris, Doris, Doris" again to no response. I tried again "Doris, Doris, DORIS." She looked around (but not up) very puzzled until a passing person pointed up saying, "I think someone up there is trying to get your attention."

DM did decide to continue. I went back to finish the climb with her and she celebrated reaching the top.

Later, when telling others, she would often add that upon hearing "Doris, Doris, Doris" from above she had been certain it was the Greek gods 'calling her home' but it turned out only to be Melisa...

My DM -- 1999 -- age 86

Very nice story and I'm glad your DM made it to the top of the Acropolis.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

My parents insisted that I learned the Greek Language when I was in elementary school, so just like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, off I went to Greek School 2 days a week right after my classes in elementary school. I've forgotten a lot of what I was taught as it was back in the late 1950s but the one shop I believe sells religious articles and candles, the shops owners last name is Constantinos, not sure of his first but I think it's Vendikos

I think it's awesome your parents wanted you to learn another language.  You did pretty well figuring out what that shop might sell.  I would enjoy visiting that shop, but doubt I ever get the chance.  Our DDIL had their two boys take Mandarin lessons but I have no idea how well they can speak it.  I hope they retain some of it into adulthood.

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

I just received an email from Karen @luvteaching

She is currently on the Westerdam and has been reading the Daily every day but the internet is blocking her from signing onto CC so she can post.  😱 

Here is her update copy and pasted in bold.

We're having a lovely cruise (Seattle roundtrip). We left Sunday andembarkation was a breeze. Our boarding time was 12:20 and we were in our cabin by then! Ship has about 1200 passengers. 

In Glacier Bay yesterday the port side azipod went down. We didn't get as close to the glacier as we have in the past but it was still nice. Today our stop is Sitka and we'll be in at about 10:45 AM. which is almost 3 hours late. HAl is flying in an expert and they are hoping to get the azipod fixed. At this point, though, Ketchikan has been canceled and we'll head straight for Victoria. The Captain is Captain Smit and he is doing well at keeping us informed. 

Wow, I hope they can get the repairs done on the azipod.  It really does impact a cruise a lot when they don't have full power.  Thanks for posting for her.

18 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

My DM -- 1999 -- age 86

That's a great story about DM!  She looks younger than 86 in that photo.  And you have such wonderful memories of your visit there with her.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2