How do you go about your spending money at each ports?

RBrowny

We sail next month, but there are 3 different destinations that have different currencies. Do you use a card like Revolut or a Monzo card to go about your spends, or do you take cash for each place?

We are from UK so quite unsure what the best method is for this. 

Thanks

Not familiar with your UK cards, but if you have a card that is recognized internationally, you can use it no matter what the currency.  It is best if your card has no foreign transaction fees.  Most purchases can be made with the card.  If you think you will want to make small purchases, like small souvenirs or a snack, use a debit card in a bank atm to get a small amount of cash.  There are some ships that will have a machine onboard where you can get different currencies, but the exchange rates are terrible.  EM

• Like 1

We travel all over the world with several different major credit cards and several ATM/Debit cards.  The reason to have multiple cards is for backup.  All of our cash comes out of our ATM machines.  When we are out and about, we keep most of our cards locked up in a hotel or cruise ship safe and only carry a single credit card and single debit card.  The reason is if we were to be pick pocketed or mugged we would still have adequate back-up cards without having to go into panic mode.

Hank

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Not familiar with your UK cards, but if you have a card that is recognized internationally, you can use it no matter what the currency.  It is best if your card has no foreign transaction fees.  Most purchases can be made with the card.  If you think you will want to make small purchases, like small souvenirs or a snack, use a debit card in a bank atm to get a small amount of cash.  There are some ships that will have a machine onboard where you can get different currencies, but the exchange rates are terrible.  EM

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We travel all over the world with several different major credit cards and several ATM/Debit cards.  The reason to have multiple cards is for backup.  All of our cash comes out of our ATM machines.  When we are out and about, we keep most of our cards locked up in a hotel or cruise ship safe and only carry a single credit card and single debit card.  The reason is if we were to be pick pocketed or mugged we would still have adequate back-up cards without having to go into panic mode.

Hank

Thank you both. I think getting a new card that has no charge for fee's might be pretty useful, saves getting cash everywhere.

1 minute ago, RBrowny said:

Thank you both. I think getting a new card that has no charge for fee's might be pretty useful, saves getting cash everywhere.

We have no clue as to the card deals on your side of the pond :).  But here in the USA, there are many different issuers of credit cards (MC and Visa) and every bank/credit union has their own deals with Debit/ATM cards.  It is relatively easy to find cards that have no foreign exchange fees (or other fees) but many fellow Americans are set in their ways and have cards that will charge all kinds of fees.   All of our own cards (ATM and Credit) are fee-free.   

Hank

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have no clue as to the card deals on your side of the pond :).  But here in the USA, there are many different issuers of credit cards (MC and Visa) and every bank/credit union has their own deals with Debit/ATM cards.  It is relatively easy to find cards that have no foreign exchange fees (or other fees) but many fellow Americans are set in their ways and have cards that will charge all kinds of fees.   All of our own cards (ATM and Credit) are fee-free.   

Hank

Yeah, I will look in to it as it's probably different this side of the pond. Hopefully there's stuff that is fee-free, but appreciate your comments

I agree with my colleagues about the CCs, but I always want a little cash for any country we're visiting.  I don't like to pay ATM fees, so I usually order the cash in small denominations before we leave home.  BofA ships it to a branch and I go pick it up.  I have some kind of relationship with BofA where they don't charge a fee for that ... I've been with them so long I really have no idea!   Depending on where you're sailing, many places accept American dollars.  Awful exchange rates but worth it in the face of an 'emergency'. 

Depends greatly on where we are sailing. Of course we have our credit cards, and bring one of them ashore. Mastercard and Visa are pretty much universally accepted. And our ATM cards, which we may or may not bring ashore, depending on our needs. If on a Caribbean cruise, we will bring some USD with us for small cash purchases, taxis, etc. In Europe we would bring Euros left over from a previous trip, and then get more as needed from a local ATM.  For other countries, we will research in advance to see if a major currency is accepted (like USD in Vietnam), or where we can find the closest ATM/FEx bureau at or near the port.

• Like 2

We have two ‘transaction free’  cards that we use just for holidays…. Santander Zero and Halifax Clarity cards… there are others available but we are happy with these.

Depending on where you are travelling, you need to consider what cash to take…USD for Caribbean/USA, Australian Dollars for Australia  Euros for Europe etc. For South America, we took small amounts (£100 equivalent) of the currency for each port to be visited.

The amount you need depends on your plans for each port and whether you are doing ship or private excursions or doing your own thing just wandering around the port, taxis, cafes (restaurants usually take cards)…so many variables.

Always make card purchases in the currency of the port…as long as you have a ‘transaction free’ card. Their rates are more generous than others offered.

We use Visa credit card for most purchases.  Our spending in cruise ports is normally pretty low, so we are not going to stress over CC exchange fees.  As others have already said, cash from a local bank ATM is the way to go.   We keep a separate bank account/ATM card just for travel.  We use that for cash withdrawals and major purchases.

You haven’t said what cruise line you are sailing, but asking on the board here for that line might get you some ideas about cards.  There is also a board here for UK cruisers, and there is probably good advice there.  So far, most of us are answering from the USA so have our own traditional cards.  EM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I agree.  We look at our cards as profit (in points) centers, not fee centers.

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

You haven’t said what cruise line you are sailing, but asking on the board here for that line might get you some ideas about cards.  There is also a board here for UK cruisers, and there is probably good advice there.  So far, most of us are answering from the USA so have our own traditional cards.  EM

Sorry, we are sailing NCL. I am thinking of getting a Revolut card which allows you to transfer money in to different currencies, it's a debit card.

Thank you for the other comments, a lot of people from across the pond commenting which is great, and lots of varying responses, which is brilliant

• Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 6:03 AM, RBrowny said:

We sail next month, but there are 3 different destinations that have different currencies. Do you use a card like Revolut or a Monzo card to go about your spends, or do you take cash for each place?

We are from UK so quite unsure what the best method is for this. 

Thanks

I don't know how to answer this question on your behalf, because EVERYTHING depends on the exact countries you're going to and how widely accepted alternate currencies and debit/credit cards are.  My fellow posters have done as well as possible, IMHO.

My currency situation on my cruises so far has been relatively simple.  I'm from the US.  I've mostly sailed the Caribbean.  Most of those countries/territories have their own currencies.  I don't care.  Most places where I'm likely to spend money take US$.  A good variety of places take credit cards.  So, I load up on cash and take a card or two, and that's it.

Your situation sounds like it's a little more complicated.  I'm sorry.  You'll get through it.

31 minutes ago, dsrdsrdsr said:

Why haven't you said which countries you're visiting?  You won't get a useful answer without.

The OP is probably sleeping right now. It's 9:30pm Eastern Daylight Time right now so it's 2:30am in the UK. 😴 @Doolittle asked the question at midnight UK time. The OP was likely in bed then too!

My question is; Why are you still up? Get to bed!  🛌

😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 2

On 8/18/2022 at 3:00 PM, RBrowny said:

I am thinking of getting a Revolut card which allows you to transfer money in to different currencies, it's a debit card.

Be very careful that that card never leaves your person! At least in US, debit cards have no limit for withdrawals and can empty your account in anyone's hands. Or so I understand, willing to be corrected. Have never had a debit card for this reason.

1 hour ago, GreenFamily said:

What about a port like Istanbul where the currency is the Turkish lira? I assume you need to use their currency for transportation and food. Do you bring some with you before you cruise? 

Crystal is right, debit cards can be dangerous.  I carry mine but never use it except at the bank's ATM.  As for arriving in Turkey,  yes of course you bring some local currency.  How else are you going to get around?  I never count on finding a convenient ATM in a country I'm unfamiliar with. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GreenFamily said:

What about a port like Istanbul where the currency is the Turkish lira? I assume you need to use their currency for transportation and food. Do you bring some with you before you cruise? 

I've been to Istanbul three times on cruise ships. I've never had a problem finding an ATM and getting cash. You can google ATM locations. If things haven't changed in the last few years there are at least two of them located between the port and the main street where the trams run, a matter of a few blocks.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've been to Istanbul three times on cruise ships. I've never had a problem finding an ATM and getting cash. You can google ATM locations. If things haven't changed in the last few years there are at least two of them located between the port and the main street where the trams run, a matter of a few blocks.

Yes, and banks with ATMs are pretty much everywhere.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Be very careful that that card never leaves your person! At least in US, debit cards have no limit for withdrawals and can empty your account in anyone's hands. Or so I understand, willing to be corrected. Have never had a debit card for this reason.

Revolut is a pre-loaded debit card, which you can reload as and when needed, so not the same as a bank debit card.