The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 19th, 2022

richwmn

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's about 70F and very cloudy with some fog intermixed in the treetops.  We are supposed to have rain today but they say that every day in August it seems like.  Our high is predicted to only be 77.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I also love potatoes!  I used to love flying but not so much anymore, but still appreciate aviation for all its benefits to mankind.  World Humanitarian Day sounds like a very worthy celebration.  I like the quote a lot since my family is all far from our my home, and remember my parents preparing fried catfish as a kid.  Seemed like it had a very fishy taste which I do not enjoy.  But Debbie's @dfishpictures look very good, and the cole slaw does as well.  Debbie, good luck with all the painting.  I'm sure it will freshen up the house and help with the sale.  Strange how we live with our homes, then when we put them on the market, do all the little updates that we will never enjoy.  Sad but necessary.

Graham @grapau27your light lunch looks good, especially the cole slaw (seeing a trend here).  I wonder, do you have any big plans for this weekend?😉

Ann @cat shepardthanks for looking so hard for a description of the wine.  I'm sure it would be a delicious wine.  I like most Sauvignon Blancs.

The port of Rijeka, Croatia sounds like a great one.  We have visited several Croatian ports and love them but never Rijeka!  It was posted here a long time ago, March 29, 2021, and is on page 57 of Rich's posting activity.  Here is a link for those wanting to retrieve their previously posted photos.

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Cheers to the happy people going on cruises, visiting family, or welcoming grandbabies to their families.  Prayers for all on the Care list. I especially hope that Shadow has been found.  Prayers for Jacqui and Little Shadow both!  Hoping Tana is feeling better now and everyone is regaining strength, slowly but surely.  Also don't want to forget the Ukrainians!  They continue to need our support and love.

Since I have no photos of Rejika, Croatia to post I will show you a new quilt my DD had made for DGD Morgan.  It was her 20th birthday July 26, and she flew home to Cincinnati for a week's visit recently.  The quilt is made up of Morgan's cheerleading squad T-shirts and sweatshirts which she no longer wears.  The team went to ESPN Wide World of Sports in Orlando several times to compete in cheerleading competitions.  Morgan loves quilts/blankets/throws or anything else she can find to snuggle under so this was a perfect choice.  Morgan attends university in Tampa so I doubt she gets too, too cold there, but some of us are cold all the time, right?

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZTxgNK8L5Db_h_2viYeFuKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1660415945

That's all for now.  Have a great day!

Thank you Sandi.

Lovely photo of Morgan and a nice quilt.

Graham.

• Like 12

I like today's selection of days and the contributions from the food & beverage department.

Today's quote reminds me of the old saying - "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Not sure I agree with that.

Wishing everyone a beautiful day. Prayers raised for all who need them, and especially that Shadow has been found!

• Like 24

Thanks for our Friday Daily, Rich.

And it is a very Happy Friday.  Actually it was happy Thursday night - a tiring one but happy.  In a way I can celebrate Humanitarian Day but it’s really for animals.  

Guess who was in my house last night?  The search has been called off.

99053881-1510-4B1A-A73F-108119C5C840.thumb.jpeg.2614f6b9e252852eaf481a67b3335df6.jpeg

I had no food (my neighbour gave me some), no toys, no nothing but she likes towels.  My trainer, Liz spent two cold, wet days hunting for her.  She was about to give up yesterday when she started thinking - how is she going to cross that ditch deep in water to get to the food (they had put food out to bait her).  She decided to disregard the sighting and looked around and saw a spot with tall wildflowers and said to herself - ‘that looks like Jacqui’s garden’ and guess who was there?  She had to wade through that mess and carry her back to her truck.

She brought her here not seeing anyone as she wanted to have her in a safe place after being lost for 3 days and 2 nights.  

Liz is my hero.  I have found out who her foster is, reached out, made sure she had a fenced yard, etc and she is taking care of the gate she escaped under and getting her a GPS collar.  She will pick her up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Love today’s quote.

@1ANGELCATand anyone else who has to use cones.  My dogs hated them and they were too big making it hard for them to eat.  I either used a T-shirt (when they were fixed) so they couldn’t lick the incision and, for trickier spots - a Zencone.  They can see through it and it’s soft - they can even sleep on it.

D650393A-3A53-4F49-8BC9-5F2B4EBC5BC7.jpeg.78bc1656e031ff32021064e17aa2bdcd.jpeg

@Cruzin Territhat is so sad on your neighbour with covid and her husband with dementia 😔 

I have a busy day ahead of me with Little (aka Shadow) back - will try to check in later.

4F95DE40-9B00-46F4-80C8-D44B57113D57.thumb.jpeg.bbc3b0e1e1895985c49ec66c123be306.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!

• Like 39
  • Thanks 11

Good morning from a very overcast central Texas.  The forecast says we won't get more rain until Sunday night and then every day through next Thursday.  However, if they were wrong and it rains today, I won't complain.  It's so dry here, there are 1/2 inch cracks in the yard.

When I think of Aviation Day, I think of @AV8rix Susan, who is not only a pilot, but an aeronautical engineer.  Flying is not as much fun as it used to be, but it does get us to our BHBs.  We like potatoes here, but I haven't been making them recently since I ws trying to make lighter meals during the triple digit days.  Without Humanitarians, the world would be an even poorer place.

I like the Nicholas Sparks quote.

DH likes fried catfish, but I'm one of the few southerners who don't like fried catfish.  Grilled catfish seasoned with Cajun spices is good.  The best catfish I've ever eaten was in an Ethiopian restaurant in one of the Twin Cities, MN.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

@MISTER 67  Just a suggestion for visiting Europe is doing a TA to and from Europe.  We met a lady from who took the Prinsendam to Europe, and stayed on board until the ship returned to the US.

@1ANGELCAT  I'm glad Fluff is doing all right.  HAPPY 75TH BIRTHDAY to your brother.  Hope you both enjoy the new car.

@dfish  Good luck with the painting.

@Cruzin Terri  I hope you feel better today.  Our second boost knocked me for a loop for about 12 hours the day after, but I consider it a small price to pay.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, great looking quilt.

@kazu  W00-HOO!!!!  Jacqui, that is the best news today, that Shadow is safe and in your loving care until the foster can fix the gate and pick Shadow up.  I'm glad she was found and not trapped.  Liz is a true humanitarian.

This is what I posted about Rijeka on March 29, 2021.

We have been fortunate to visit Rijeka twice.  The first visit was in 2017 on the Prinsendam and the second was 2019 on the Veendam.  Most of my pictures are from 2017 since it was raining for part of the day in 2019.  

Rijeka's main claim to fame is it is where the torpedo was invented and first tested.  Ivan Luppis, a retired naval officer, and Robert Whitehead, an Englishman working for a steam ship manufacturer in Rijeka, got together and built the first torpedoes, which they launched from a ground based launching platform.  We could see the platform from a local bus we took, but did not get close enough to get a picture.  There is a torpedo museum located in a warehouse on the waterfront.

This was taken at the small boat harbor in town looking across to a distant part of town.

DSC01324.thumb.JPG.f4805358ed04fb0dc3ecbbbffe022a49.JPG

These were taken on some of the pedestrian streets in the center of town.  The clock tower is a landmark, and when you walk through the passage you are in a secluded plaza.  You can see the difference in the weather on the two visits.

DSC01335.thumb.JPG.f2485580d721427a6f5a24df87ac0e18.JPG

DSC01334.thumb.JPG.a4fe423f9ac6eec58996dcc24c720227.JPG

DSC06531.thumb.JPG.edc78eae6bbe2e6764eab58c94270967.JPG

This is a back street with shops for the locals.

DSC06543.thumb.JPG.901a57d01d10d5d0cb3cd696237c7f3b.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures from the Torpedo Museum.  The lighting in the museum was subdued with a blue tint.

DSC01356.thumb.JPG.7e4d59c7d69289a25404966921f1db83.JPG

DSC01360.thumb.JPG.99b9f38f6150b3d0b45aa10b68ac370c.JPG

The town was counting down to 2020.

DSC06533.thumb.JPG.a3c31608e7aae00cd776a3af3df9fbb4.JPG

This church was a few blocks from the main street with the clock tower.

DSC06537.thumb.JPG.19e0598d6526f02dd3b54a7c6e630195.JPG

This is looking toward the upper part of town.

DSC01363.thumb.JPG.c45a87e68d0acf46f16c474692ff61aa.JPG

I think I'll make some brownies this mooring.  It's been a while since I did any baking.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
Add a comment.
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Good morning. I am known in the family as "the potato queen " and  have never met a potato  I don't  like. They are presently scarce here.I went to several stores yesterday before I found decent Yukon golds for an impending potato salad.The favorite  recipe is for smashed potatoes but that will wait until the fall.

I will celebrate  Aviation  day and Humanitarian  Day. The world lost a wonderful  Humanitarian  when Dr Paul Farmer of Partners in Health passed away.He was an amazing man and certainly  spent his life in a positive way.

Perhaps the catfish I tried (once) was not the " good" type.I will leave my portion for others to enjoy.

We are grilling shrimp and crab burgers tonight and may eat outside if it is not too humid. The potato salad is done and I will only  need to make tomato pie.I am trying to tempt the reluctant  eaters. 

@Cruzin Terri, I am sorry the truck hit you as well  but maybe later today will be better.Condolences for your neighbor.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, what a great idea for a quilt !

@grapau27,Graham, that looks like a great lunch,enjoy!

Terry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

And it is a very Happy Friday.  Actually it was happy Thursday night - a tiring one but happy.  In a way I can celebrate Humanitarian Day but it’s really for animals.  

99053881-1510-4B1A-A73F-108119C5C840.thumb.jpeg.2614f6b9e252852eaf481a67b3335df6.jpeg

I had no food (my neighbour gave me some), no toys, no nothing but she likes towels.  My trainer, Liz spent two cold, wet days hunting for her.  She was about to give up yesterday when she started thinking - how is she going to cross that ditch deep in water to get to the food (they had put food out to bait her).  She decided to disregard the sighting and looked around and saw a spot with tall wildflowers and said to herself - ‘that looks like Jacqui’s garden’ and guess who was there?  She had to wade through that mess and carry her back to her truck.

She brought her here not seeing anyone as she wanted to have her in a safe place after being lost for 3 days and 2 nights.  

Liz is my hero.  I have found out who her foster is, reached out, made sure she had a fenced yard, etc and she is taking care of the gate she escaped under and getting her a GPS collar.  She will pick her up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Love today’s quote.

@1ANGELCATand anyone else who has to use cones.  My dogs hated them and they were too big making it hard for them to eat.  I either used a T-shirt (when they were fixed) so they couldn’t lick the incision and, for trickier spots - a Zencone.  They can see through it and it’s soft - they can even sleep on it.

@Cruzin Territhat is so sad on your neighbour with covid and her husband with dementia 😔 

I have a busy day ahead of me with Little (aka Shadow) back - will try to check in later.

4F95DE40-9B00-46F4-80C8-D44B57113D57.thumb.jpeg.bbc3b0e1e1895985c49ec66c123be306.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

First thing I looked for when I came on this morning and glad to see your very good news!!!! 

Susan

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

Love today’s quote.

Yay!  Good news for our Celebration list, Roy!  Jacqui, what an awesome bit of news that Liz used her noggin and found Little Shadow!  I bet she was happy to be back in your home last night.  Thanks for letting us know.❤️

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Yesterday we visited Geriranger, Norway and it’s magnificent fjords and mountains! Absolutely one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We took in all the iconic vistas on a private tour of just me, Sue and her identical twin Barb. 

No service in the fjords so trying to post a day late. Today we were in Bergen and had another private tour but it was a rainy day and didn’t take many photos but it was still beautiful. Tomorrow is a sea day then Rotterdam where Sue and I will stay on for another week but Barb will be flying home as she has another cruise to Alaska coming up soon.

Life is good!

image.thumb.jpeg.f4a15101c77cfb6b1100e388d4260a39.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.26b30f2fc122b122010c63034bde5e5a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0aa099feec97304261129ca012b0cfe9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.22c4cd0345061c4587448176b1bc04db.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34c3ae45d72309aa372dfd22bba69ed4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9d663afd697b78cb2ccf26da734edbca.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4305fca2445c56eb15066192f6257428.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5e3e6c68536924af6b02e6e434865c7e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c85020c0cd9af4bad116ea4812fdd963.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4d5d548ca46ee8550cdafe0aab537890.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b029245a8e7b5c7f5c4ce0d9d9c6ab72.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d1ba0092f59e898d65f7daec6da54c24.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.54229b0b860a28639248474f5d77aa71.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a039da7ba283d9dba86e7d97bc400cc4.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning All,

So good to hear Kazu’s news on Shadow. 

@aliaschief Nice pictures. There was still quite a bit of snow when we toured the upper areas in your pictures. That was the end of June. Thanks for sharing.

Its house cleaning day here. Oh joy!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26

Back again after having read through all posts so far. I am ready to celebrate Shadow's return. I am glad she did not go far after her escape and I am sure she is happy to be in where it is warm and dry.

I can celebrate all the days although like others I have to curb my intake of carbs so I avoid potatoes which I really love. Oh well. I generally like catfish if it is well prepared. When I was doing some research in New Mexico there was a place near Carlsbad that had a Friday night Catfish Fry that was really good. My archaeology crew and I dined out there regularly. Don't know that I have had catfish since.

Cool here this morning and we have more rain coming (maybe) over the weekend. Our main contractor and the roofing company spent yesterday on the roof at the shelter and are working through the leak problems. Meanwhile I was working inside with the man who installed tiles behind the dog wash area and did a really crappy job. We have removed his charges for that from his invoice and he is to rip out everything and redo. I am not a happy camper. Hope the rains hold off for maybe another day or two.

(Had to stop for the roofers) Anyway... off the the shelter wars. @kazugive Shadow a pat and hug for me.

Susan

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Love today’s quote.

This is fantastic news that Shadow was found and back with you for the moment.

I hope her foster is able to give her the love and care she needs.

Graham.

• Like 14

Good morning all!

And what a morning with the great news about Shadow being found!!  Jacqui @kazuI join everyone else in a huge hurrah!  What good news. 🙂  

All good days.  I admire all pilots who get me safely where I need to go even though I do detest flying.  I don't think I've ever had cat fish, but would try it. I can take or leave potatoes, and try to limit them because of the carbs.  @RedneckBobwe still have Mr. Potato Head here for the grandsons and we all say he's a male -- well at least when he's wearing his mustache. 😉  The drink sounds good, and NZ Sauvignon Blancs are always my wine of choice although I've never seen this one.  

I woke up to showers this morning -- so funny, we must have had the cloud coming over us from the west as I was looking out the back door.  It was drizzling in the back yard, but not in the front yard.  A few minutes later it was drizzling both in front and back. We can use the moisture, it's gotten pretty dry.  I hope to get more Gravenstein apples today, but will have to call the market in Lynden to see if they have enough.  It's an hour+ each way so I want to be sure.  But we love the sauce and pies from Gravensteins,  so worth it and it's a nice drive.

Sandi @StLouisCruiserswhat a beautiful quilt!  I'm sure your DGD will always treasure it.

We were in Rijeka last year and took a tour to the resort town of Opatija.  It was a wonderful day and we enjoyed it a lot.  First we walked along the waterfront promenade for an hour, then we were wined and dined at lunch.  We had an appetizer similar to Bruschetta, lunch was potatoes and pork roast (delicious), a dessert of an apple pastry (yum!!) and the wine flowed freely.  We then had free time to wander the town and/or shop, we did both.

From our balcony as we approach Rijeka

138125838_RijekaCroatia.thumb.jpg.f4e8ba6988fb37e22f2d0baa2385a43f.jpg

Walking along the promenade in Opatija

Opatija.jpg.a850663cf789f02196598474827d3382.jpg

So many large resort hotels.  Opatija is considered the playground of the rich and famous.

1907010776_resorthotels.jpg.f11ee911fdcd9f06ea5045489e7cbea9.jpg

This statue is called Maiden with a Seagull.  Although when we passed by she had 2.  The one in her hand is part of the statue.

1713084956_maidenwith2seagulls.thumb.jpg.0b34375fcd398a89272914267cda8e88.jpg

Isadora Duncan was good friends of the owners of this hotel.  They had this statue made of her.

1778875102_IsadoraDuncanstatue(friendsofhotelowners).thumb.jpg.8e6800ed793e3b8210c62c564f64f041.jpg

It was October and some storefronts were decorated for Halloween.

367816177_Halloweendecorations.jpg.c61caba368492bc6c454f0c86aa5f486.jpg

I found a friend and place to sit and rest. 😉 

1938128197_foundafriend.jpg.04fe49a6308ff6ab939a1fbc60b46b79.jpg

Beautiful sunset as we prepare to leave Rijeka.

1104752128_sunsettingasweleaveRijeka.jpg.d8cbcce8e379166341f5bde1c244d6b1.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

It’s 1.40 am and I couldn’t sleep, so got up to have some hot chocolate and to read for a while.

I’m so glad I did, because the news that Shadow has been found and was back in @kazu’s house is the most wonderful news. 
Blessings for Liz, Jacqui and Shadow.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the good reading on a Friday morning. We are traveling to AZ to meet with mother, brother & sisters as Mom has decided that at 102 years, she needs a bit more care. It’s always tough to move, especially from a small, wonderful, very independent place to a new place. We are feeling positive as AZ & particularly the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix & suburbs) offers many opportunities. Hope for the best! August in the Valley = 🥵🌇🌵

Prayers for those in need, thanks for Shadow’s return, hope for all covid cases to be mild. 

• Like 26

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I love all 3 days although I do not like to fly.

Is it flying in general you dislike, or just commercial flight?

I enjoy flying in small planes, but would rather drive a car from coast to coast than fly commercially if I have the time.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Yesterday we visited Geriranger, Norway and it’s magnificent fjords and mountains! Absolutely one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We took in all the iconic vistas on a private tour of just me, Sue and her identical twin Barb. 

No service in the fjords so trying to post a day late. Today we were in Bergen and had another private tour but it was a rainy day and didn’t take many photos but it was still beautiful. Tomorrow is a sea day then Rotterdam where Sue and I will stay on for another week but Barb will be flying home as she has another cruise to Alaska coming up soon.

Life is good!

image.thumb.jpeg.f4a15101c77cfb6b1100e388d4260a39.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.26b30f2fc122b122010c63034bde5e5a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0aa099feec97304261129ca012b0cfe9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.22c4cd0345061c4587448176b1bc04db.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34c3ae45d72309aa372dfd22bba69ed4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9d663afd697b78cb2ccf26da734edbca.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4305fca2445c56eb15066192f6257428.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5e3e6c68536924af6b02e6e434865c7e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c85020c0cd9af4bad116ea4812fdd963.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4d5d548ca46ee8550cdafe0aab537890.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b029245a8e7b5c7f5c4ce0d9d9c6ab72.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d1ba0092f59e898d65f7daec6da54c24.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.54229b0b860a28639248474f5d77aa71.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a039da7ba283d9dba86e7d97bc400cc4.jpeg

Thank you  for the  photos brought  back great  memories for  me  and

my  wife.

Jim.

• Like 12

Today is a good day!!! @kazu, thanks for the great news about Shadow!  Your friend Liz is a treasure, and it is wonderful that she figured out the location!  Also good news for @Seasick Sailorand @Quartzsite Cruiserwith getting "some" rain in Texas.  Hope it continues.

This week has been busy for me with Red Cross, so I have managed to read "The Daily & Fleet Report" but just didn't manage to post.  Several Zoom meetings that have gone on longer than planned.

I have been reading the reports of boosters and aftermath,  and hoping that I won't suffer too much from the side effects.  Each time has gotten worse.   I had planned to get my booster in this last week, but was cautioned not to do so!  I have a mammogram scheduled for next Wednesday, so I will get the booster after that.

Today has interesting days.  Aviation (my DH was retired USAF) and humanitarian are both great days.  I love fried catfish, and usually get it when we go to one particular restaurant.  I like most potatoes (my Irish background), but don't eat French fries.  For some reason, that is one way I can live without.

It is overcast here, but don't know if that will bring any moisture, but we can always hope!

Have a great day, everyone!

Mary Kay

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1