The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 26th, 2022

richwmn

Jacqui, @kazuthank you for those beautiful floral photos today.  I wish my thumbs were half as green as yours are.  Thank goodness for your thorough and thoughtful doctor!  I hope the prescription helps you to calm your nerves after the terrible year you've had.  And you're welcome for the Petra photos.  It's an amazing place.

We got an email from our POD captain who passed along an article from a Tennessee radio news station reporting on the car accident Wed. afternoon.  There were some non-graphic photos of the scene and it was a jolt to see their Honda CRV crashed into a bridge abutment.  A witness said it veered off the highway onto the grass at an exit ramp and never braked, then ran into the bridge.  I suspect some type of medical emergency occurred and Linda didn't have enough time to figure out a way to stop the car.  Two med-evac copters took them to hospitals, it said.  Linda is supposedly having surgery today on her two wrists and back injury.  Keeping her in my prayers.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 18

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Although I'm a cat person, I do love seeing dogs with their owners enjoying time together.  Toilet paper day?  Really?  Does anyone totally understand the 12=20 or 10=14 rolls thing?  The latest one I saw was in a print ad yesterday 30=100 rolls.  Somehow I doubt it, but I'm not about to stand there and do the math.  Women shouldn't have to fight for equality, but darn it, we still are!

A nice quiet morning out there except for the little rascal squirrel who keeps dropping pine cones on the garbage and recycling containers outside our bedroom window.  We've got several trees surrounding our property, so he/she's got lots to choose from and has been making quite a mess on the lawn this past week.  It seems he/she's getting stocked up for winter already.  It should get up to about +29 today but we're expecting thunderstorms to roll through by mid-afternoon and it looks like they may continue throughout the weekend.  

Not a lot on the docket today except one important thing - getting my hair cut - yay!  It's funny how something as simple as a hair cut can improve your whole outlook; I'm sure I walk home with a lighter step after a visit to my stylist who lives at the end of our block.

@StLouisCruisersI'm so sorry to hear about your neighbours; sending prayers for Linda's recovery, and for the soul of her dear husband.

I'm not sure about today's menu suggestion, but I'm pretty sure DH would give it a hard pass.  I know it's Friday night which is normally pizza night, but I think we're going to give pizza a rest for another week.  We've still got some Chinese food in the fridge to get through, as well as a couple of leftover smokies from last night.  Oh, I did try out my Cardboardeaux last evening, and it seemed to taste much fruitier than I remember, but at least it didn't have a metallic taste to it.  Yay!  

Sending prayers to all who need them and we'll celebrate with the happy ones.

Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

My FB feed came up today with a Memory from five years ago. Sue and I had just returned from a trip to Chicago to visit family. This is "Juno" expressing her happiness of having me home again. She was #7 of 8 dogs I have had (and four cats). My second Alaskan Malamute rescue that I adopted. She was seven years of age at adoption that I put down at 13 back in June '21.  She was my "Sweetie Girl."

546255996_JunoatHollingsworth.thumb.jpg.54ff0de41104a6de087c67ccd104d8d3.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Dog days are certainly celebrated here. Women's  Equality day needs a lot of work and I will just stop there.

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi, prayers for your neighbor undergoing such extensive surgery and for her family.

Thank you for the beautiful  pictures today as well.

@Cruzin Terri, I hope things are better today.

It is breathtakingly  humid today but we might get rain later.The executive  chef and I are making crustless quiches this morning  for our dinner later.

Terry

20220216_094343.jpg

• Like 36

Thanks for the Fleet update and other things. Great pictures of your dogs!

OK, it’s National Toilet Paper Day. Do you think RNB has a joke for this day? Not today. I have already been on a roll 😀.

Now for a true toilet paper story. We were in a Suite on the Maasdam and somehow our cabin steward forgot to keep up with our toilet paper supply. I never knew that on a cruise ship you could be up sh_t’s creek without a paddle!

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

Good morning Dailyites. 

A nice 74 degree morning heating to 94 today. The cardinals are in the trees, on the fence, and at the feeders. There must be 20+ out there. I need to get out and trim the spent flowers from my rose trees but don't want to disturb the birds.. or am I too lazy?

Our one and only dog during our 31 years of marriage was a border collie and blue heeler named Mackenzie. The best dog in the whole world. 

image.png.81138d9452a86dbcba5ec529ee7aa3e3.png

I remember during the covid crisis the toilet paper was horrible and expensive. 

I think I will pass on the meal today. We are going for our couples pedicures and out to lunch.

Prayers lifted this morning. Sandi I'm thinking of Linda as she has surgery today. Such a sad situation. 

Sending our Daily family best wishes for a wonderful weekend. Xx

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We started to take a walk outside this morning, but went a half block and felt some tiny raindrops. We turned back and walked back past our house the other way (it wasn't raining at our house), and got a half block past our house on OUR street and it started to sprinkle again!  So we gave up and went home to walk on the treadmill.  What a crazy wet summer we're having!

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor our Daily and Roy @rafinmdfor our lists.  Nice of you to put David and Linda on the prayer list Roy.  No further news on her.  Prayers said for them and their family, our Dailyite members, and the Ukrainians.  As for the days Rich, dog day is very popular on this thread.  Toilet paper is a necessity and at least we can find it in the stores nowadays unlike two years ago.  If only the prices weren't so high for it.  Women's equality day sounds fair to me as well.  No thanks to the food, drink, and wine.  

DS's plane has been flying all night from Seoul and is due in Detroit in 2 hours.  I hope they have a safe drive home and plenty of rest ahead of them.  Meanwhile, today is my PT exercise day again so will go through that twice.  We need to run to the grocery but don't know if it will be today or not.  

Today's port of Aqaba, Jordan is a fantastic one.  I have way too many photos to show you all.  We last had this port on July 27, 2021, page 41 of Rich's posting activity.  Here is a link for you/

We enjoyed a visit to Aqaba and Petra in October 2016 on the Emerald Princess.  We took a private tour with a roll call group and it was excellent.  Draining though with the heat so drink twice as much water as you think you should.  I nearly fainted at the end and had to plop down on the ground to prevent injury as we got back to the visitor center.  But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

On Oct. 10, 2016 our private tour group drove 2 hours from Aqaba past the Wadi Rum desert wilderness area and arrived at Petra, one of the new seven wonders of the world.  We arrived by 9 am which is a good thing since this is a very hot, dry area and it only gets hotter as the day goes on. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ65ADl4H-3ksk_OZz933YR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIQab90LXK-XSYEEysus9pk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The entrance to the visitor center. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpSyKV1eDEsP_rLb6qvlaw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

When you first start out there is an area on your left where they keep the horses.  You can either ride a horse, take a cart, or walk.  We walked.  The long walkway here is called Bab Al Siq.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjLbD4NC8qmbzRyn6aXEML?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKHMKGv0yHcUyDxw61wRO4V?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Next you'll see the Obelisk Tomb.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjLbD4NC8qmbzRyn6aXEML?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

It's named after the four Indian obelisks that decorate the top of the tomb.  This tomb has two stories to it.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcyjJ0ZINtiiEUFitWT0Yh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK4bqaq_c6oo7l91w-LMOMS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVINmW0-IpBHUOPpHjzhRqH3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The Siq is a spectacular gorge that leads into the ancient city.  The original channel cut in the walls to bring water into Petra can be seen, and in some places the original terracotta pipes are still in place. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6j8l7kJlOIzvtlePY-j3N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-ERWJq30mF11a7HBQl3Fm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTkbJa0bq8n4ZDfbJaHzXH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This is one of my favorite photos of DH walking through the curvy walled tunnel.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKCT9ascX5NhBdAnKSWyy28?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIad4YakP0AfaBNgBIS7A38?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

One particular rock formation looked like a fish from the side but an elephant from the front. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeWlG7SjhZHQMOumbtMuVv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The elephant view00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJbCV6wHZSLXPy_UdO2Mtlu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The colors of the rock can vary widely.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKt2pCdoWZOfgdBSdci-ZM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Most interesting are the many niches carved into the sandstone walls.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK9ijWdbs8hptqaRSdzHqch?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Suddenly ahead we saw, through the gap in the rock, the magnificent Treasury!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0k_niSUwtkbd4Gh8N_HPW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

It rises to almost 128 feet and is intricately decorated with Corinthian capitals, decorative bands, figures and more.  It is crowned by an urn, which according to local legend conceals a pharaoh's treasure.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5ZEFT-JbG_t4-5ppkjM7z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhppRAooX5j1i5RON3TKcZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL764p5VU7CoEKeeztWJ3vb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

To the left of the Treasury is this area to rest and shop. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAgO-0P2gMZTgaefG75XT2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

You could rent a camel for a ride here in case you were tiring from the walk.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIXxh6WmYOxWatcBnHRevq1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

From the Treasury we proceeded on to the Street of Facades, the name given to the row of monumental tombs carved into the southern cliff face.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhfK4FeykmYQQmU4xNJ-E7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIIaqabYgt3bq8m-t-wf05N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJOiadmMllBBKMxYqkm0EID?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_qD9SkTasXLnwsTj4-voQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIUK1obVFnJyTom9jXVIPiO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJfBG-IsOIzoFmgc8NTzQ4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The Theatre

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjhWe_k2MiojkblcsJ7kdW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Our guide Zayed and some of the Royal Tombs.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIaLg0LVDdkm9ugN41Uohyu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKLvyUcjurPttfrUFGtAGYL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKRl8RVYHW0PlrG5hmWMhbC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2d0Zlt9Y7gG_-t1ObsNnb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We walked as far as we could.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSlTnb4_ksJ8JdaGPaNXY4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

All the way to the Nymphaeum, a semi-circular public fountain shaded by a 450 year old wild pistachio tree.  No water here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpuh2FmTW6SId22y5VUPwA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Further down was the Colonnaded Street which would have been a shopping street in ancient Petra, but by now we were ready to turn back.  We had miles to walk, uphill to return to our bus.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJdPKUeWRNzYszMRMw9MRq3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIl6IzMfCP140NpfIPnj6pp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

When we walked back past the Treasury there were lots more people there.  Glad we got there early!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJ7P0e2vXqrUj7MkhXs9mz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

You had to watch out for carts and horses all the time or risk getting run over.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKi9XzBq6VNlTi8Yn8r-hc0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJyGQH1DN6u9nVqkB4ILUxG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

On to lunch at a Petra restaurant in the next post.

Stunning photos Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Gosh, all the dog photos today are so cute!  I don't have a dog, only have granddog Sadie and two great-granddogs (Finn and Boomer).  

Recent picture of that minx Sadie with DGD Ashley.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKQn-0IP2AsZ6AjjdRmUO-3aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1660415925

Lovely photo Sandi of 2 pretty girls.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Cool and gloomy with rain this morning. Bandit and Monty want to report me for doggie abuse on this, their special day,  since I hauled them out to do their morning business. Both boys went very quickly and then made a run for house. Monty in particular seems to feel that Chihuahuas will melt in rain.... Bandit is made of sterner stuff. We will go out again in a few hours if it stops raining. This certainly will give the shelter roof a good test.

Think I can skip the meal. Will have to see what I feel like later in the day. Love the pictures today. Thanks.

Need to resume the clearing efforts. It is slow. Yesterday I was sorting out book and of course kept trying to read some. Got very little done.

Susan

• Like 26

Good Morning All,

of course we’re celebrating Dog Day.

Squiggles* just routed DH out of bed, dancing around with his beloved football in his mouth and lots of teasing growls. His best canine friend is coming over later, and my task today is to clean the house. (With 2 very active dogs tracking dirt and mulch back inside). 

@grapau27 Love the video,

@StLouisCruisers Sending prayers for Linda and family. How dreadful. And thank you for the “short trip” to Petra. 

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@cat shepard, Can’t elope 

Have a great day everyone!

*Our one and only Golden has various nicknames that correspond to his current behavior set: Squiggles, when he’s being silly and doing his Golden Wiggles, Mr.Fidgetpants (borrowed from a CC poster) when he’s impatient, and the most common- His Nibs, when we know we’re his valets. 

1CC2F13D-B4FA-4EF0-BCAD-B57AA793B3D5.jpeg

9DA1CBB6-B7B8-4D68-A7DD-495224263098.jpeg

7016CE63-B329-4244-8371-7EF17EA74E5A.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon! We had a rather interesting day in Flam. Our tour started with the classic story the big train that could or at least thought it could. As we ascended the steep grade out of Flam the trains steel wheels kept slipping on the rails. After backing up twice and going faster on the third attempt the train groaned I think I can and we made it to the crest.

That put us behind schedule and we were rushed and we missed a couple of stops.

Though rain, fog, low clouds there was still a lot of beautiful scenery and some very impressive waterfalls.

We’ll see if these post as signal is pretty weak in fjord. A few failed to load. Later.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.f9e3396c160d6464ffb308733185375e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.166639d2afb79c59ba7eaa52e6776eb3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c870c3b48868412a6a731956d59b7094.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b5131e2eec7de01d54cd4a781393328b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4f655247197f90d3c327c39da68364ca.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, all! I miss my dogs, but until we finish traveling we won’t be getting another. As Lenda said, every day is toilet paper day. It’s hard to forget it’s importance, although I’ve seen a lot of ads for those bidets you hook up to your toilet seat.🤔

We go to Petra on the Grand Africa this fall. The pictures are much appreciated, and heighten the anticipation!

The heat has broken, and they’re even calling for rain this afternoon. We haven’t had rain for a long time, and our big leaf maples are really suffering.

@StLouisCruisers I’m so sorry about your neighbours, and send prayers for Linda in the difficult combination of grief and physical recovery. Thank goodness she has family.

@ger_77 it’s good the cardbordeaux isn’t letting you down, even if it tastes a bit fruity. And I’m impressed that your palette made the Care List, as it should. Roy definitely understands the importance of wine appreciation in this group!

@kazu thank goodness you have a doctor who listens. It makes sense that your body is physically reacting to prolonged stress and grief. It’s a wonder that any two fibers of your being are still,holding together at all! Hopefully the medication, and just knowing it’s there, will calm the shakes.

@Cruzin Terri hopefully today is better. It is hard, and I hope the pain resolves one way or the other.  If the friendship is broken, sometimes when a person actions show you that they no longer belong in your life, they’re doing you a favour by removing themselves. Do what is healthiest for you moving forward, not what someone else thinks is the correct social response.

Happy Friday, and cheers to,those spending the weekend aboard a BHB!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily and Fleet Report Rich. Thanks to all for sharing. 

Just a quick note before I get ready, I’m taking DM to an appointment this morning and then we will go to lunch. 

In honor of Dog Day:

Our DGD and her almost stepsister love to take silly pictures of their pug Smokey. 

ED207F3A-409E-4AAE-91ED-800FA49F6111.thumb.jpeg.5e31ad753a00637fd4cd2d0f9f3d33bf.jpeg

And here our favorite dog, Blue.

05CD5DB0-771B-4A21-A866-B6E4E6933676.thumb.jpeg.bd3190c2d545c5d69a20fb9f12574805.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We started to take a walk outside this morning, but went a half block and felt some tiny raindrops. We turned back and walked back past our house the other way (it wasn't raining at our house), and got a half block past our house on OUR street and it started to sprinkle again!  So we gave up and went home to walk on the treadmill.  What a crazy wet summer we're having!

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor our Daily and Roy @rafinmdfor our lists.  Nice of you to put David and Linda on the prayer list Roy.  No further news on her.  Prayers said for them and their family, our Dailyite members, and the Ukrainians.  As for the days Rich, dog day is very popular on this thread.  Toilet paper is a necessity and at least we can find it in the stores nowadays unlike two years ago.  If only the prices weren't so high for it.  Women's equality day sounds fair to me as well.  No thanks to the food, drink, and wine.  

DS's plane has been flying all night from Seoul and is due in Detroit in 2 hours.  I hope they have a safe drive home and plenty of rest ahead of them.  Meanwhile, today is my PT exercise day again so will go through that twice.  We need to run to the grocery but don't know if it will be today or not.  

Today's port of Aqaba, Jordan is a fantastic one.  I have way too many photos to show you all.  We last had this port on July 27, 2021, page 41 of Rich's posting activity.  Here is a link for you/

We enjoyed a visit to Aqaba and Petra in October 2016 on the Emerald Princess.  We took a private tour with a roll call group and it was excellent.  Draining though with the heat so drink twice as much water as you think you should.  I nearly fainted at the end and had to plop down on the ground to prevent injury as we got back to the visitor center.  But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

On Oct. 10, 2016 our private tour group drove 2 hours from Aqaba past the Wadi Rum desert wilderness area and arrived at Petra, one of the new seven wonders of the world.  We arrived by 9 am which is a good thing since this is a very hot, dry area and it only gets hotter as the day goes on. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ65ADl4H-3ksk_OZz933YR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIQab90LXK-XSYEEysus9pk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The entrance to the visitor center. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpSyKV1eDEsP_rLb6qvlaw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

When you first start out there is an area on your left where they keep the horses.  You can either ride a horse, take a cart, or walk.  We walked.  The long walkway here is called Bab Al Siq.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjLbD4NC8qmbzRyn6aXEML?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKHMKGv0yHcUyDxw61wRO4V?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Next you'll see the Obelisk Tomb.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjLbD4NC8qmbzRyn6aXEML?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

It's named after the four Indian obelisks that decorate the top of the tomb.  This tomb has two stories to it.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcyjJ0ZINtiiEUFitWT0Yh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK4bqaq_c6oo7l91w-LMOMS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVINmW0-IpBHUOPpHjzhRqH3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The Siq is a spectacular gorge that leads into the ancient city.  The original channel cut in the walls to bring water into Petra can be seen, and in some places the original terracotta pipes are still in place. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6j8l7kJlOIzvtlePY-j3N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-ERWJq30mF11a7HBQl3Fm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTkbJa0bq8n4ZDfbJaHzXH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This is one of my favorite photos of DH walking through the curvy walled tunnel.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKCT9ascX5NhBdAnKSWyy28?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIad4YakP0AfaBNgBIS7A38?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

One particular rock formation looked like a fish from the side but an elephant from the front. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeWlG7SjhZHQMOumbtMuVv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The elephant view00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJbCV6wHZSLXPy_UdO2Mtlu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The colors of the rock can vary widely.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKt2pCdoWZOfgdBSdci-ZM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Most interesting are the many niches carved into the sandstone walls.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK9ijWdbs8hptqaRSdzHqch?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Suddenly ahead we saw, through the gap in the rock, the magnificent Treasury!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0k_niSUwtkbd4Gh8N_HPW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

It rises to almost 128 feet and is intricately decorated with Corinthian capitals, decorative bands, figures and more.  It is crowned by an urn, which according to local legend conceals a pharaoh's treasure.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5ZEFT-JbG_t4-5ppkjM7z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhppRAooX5j1i5RON3TKcZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL764p5VU7CoEKeeztWJ3vb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

To the left of the Treasury is this area to rest and shop. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAgO-0P2gMZTgaefG75XT2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

You could rent a camel for a ride here in case you were tiring from the walk.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIXxh6WmYOxWatcBnHRevq1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

From the Treasury we proceeded on to the Street of Facades, the name given to the row of monumental tombs carved into the southern cliff face.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhfK4FeykmYQQmU4xNJ-E7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIIaqabYgt3bq8m-t-wf05N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJOiadmMllBBKMxYqkm0EID?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_qD9SkTasXLnwsTj4-voQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIUK1obVFnJyTom9jXVIPiO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJfBG-IsOIzoFmgc8NTzQ4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The Theatre

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjhWe_k2MiojkblcsJ7kdW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Our guide Zayed and some of the Royal Tombs.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIaLg0LVDdkm9ugN41Uohyu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKLvyUcjurPttfrUFGtAGYL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKRl8RVYHW0PlrG5hmWMhbC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2d0Zlt9Y7gG_-t1ObsNnb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We walked as far as we could.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSlTnb4_ksJ8JdaGPaNXY4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

All the way to the Nymphaeum, a semi-circular public fountain shaded by a 450 year old wild pistachio tree.  No water here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpuh2FmTW6SId22y5VUPwA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Further down was the Colonnaded Street which would have been a shopping street in ancient Petra, but by now we were ready to turn back.  We had miles to walk, uphill to return to our bus.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJdPKUeWRNzYszMRMw9MRq3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIl6IzMfCP140NpfIPnj6pp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

When we walked back past the Treasury there were lots more people there.  Glad we got there early!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJ7P0e2vXqrUj7MkhXs9mz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

You had to watch out for carts and horses all the time or risk getting run over.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKi9XzBq6VNlTi8Yn8r-hc0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJyGQH1DN6u9nVqkB4ILUxG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

On to lunch at a Petra restaurant in the next post.

Wow! Just wow! Thank you!  I have always wanted to visit Petra, and almost felt like I was there! 

did you walk back? 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Finally back and posting.  Service completed just after 9, then a stop at Wegmans, takeout at Panera, putting the groceries away and I'm finally back.  Thank you Rich for the TGIF report.  I haven't had a dog in over 60 years, don't use a lot of toilet paper.  Women's Equality is far too long in coming.  I love the quote but will pass on the meal.  I've been to Petra just once on a mostly forgettable cruise on the Silver Whisper.  The thing I remember most is walking down a long dull trail and coming to a point where the glory of Petra is just sudden and breathtaking.  Going to be a hot hunker down inside day but I got in about a 25-minute walk on the way to the ship.

Today's sunrise is from a 2015 trip with a Blount cruise from Maine to New Brunswick.  After a few cruise i spent a couple days with my cousin south of Montreal and this was taken on their farm:

dawn0826.jpg

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Two dogs that stayed in my room on the last cruise I took. It was because I missed my service dog and the room stewards wanted me to feel safe. Those dogs weren't replaced the next day but moved to a shelf and stayed the whole trip. 

IMG_3817.JPG

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1