Just got back from Allure of the Seas cruise. Has food fallen off on all post-Covid?

AZDivers

Just got back from a great cruise to Curacao and Aruba. Although the weather was INSANELY hot the cruise itself was amazing and we had a great time on our 3rd Oasis class.

However, the food was super noticeably much much lower quality than previous Oasis class ships. The main dining room most notably was super subpar compared to previous sailings, often cold dishes and uninspired menu. The buffet was also quite bad. Super basic. This was our first post Covid cruise so judging by the consensus with other sailors on board they were noticing the same thing. 

Is this on most RC ships right now?

The service on the other hand was across the board the best we have ever had. Literally all Filipino staff, no jamaicans anymore which was interesting.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, AZDivers said:

Just got back from a great cruise to Curacao and Aruba. Although the weather was INSANELY hot the cruise itself was amazing and we had a great time on our 3rd Oasis class.

However, the food was super noticeably much much lower quality than previous Oasis class ships. The main dining room most notably was super subpar compared to previous sailings, often cold dishes and uninspired menu. The buffet was also quite bad. Super basic. This was our first post Covid cruise so judging by the consensus with other sailors on board they were noticing the same thing. 

Is this on most RC ships right now?

The service on the other hand was across the board the best we have ever had. Literally all Filipino staff, no jamaicans anymore which was interesting.

We have been on a number of cruises since Covid, and think the food is just fine.  Husband thinks plenty of choices and is plenty happy with the quality.  If he orders something and it doesn't come out right, he asks for it to be sent back and get a new one.  Staff has been amazing on all of our cruises, so we are totally happy.  Going on Freedom again this Friday.

• Like 1

Recently returned from a sailing on the Liberty of the Seas and we experienced a noticeable decline in the food quality in the MDR. The only stand out was the tiger shrimp and they weren't even tiger shrimp, just medium sized shrimp that weren't over cooked. The 'tenderloin' was as tough as an undercooked brisket and the lobster was like rubber.  The other entrees were 'meh'. However, the soups were still up to par. The Windjammer was about the same as it ever was. Some good and not so good. This was our third cruise after the re-launch (the second time on the LOTS) and the food in the MDR has really gone down hill. In fact, this is the only cruise that I can remember where I didn't gain weight.

• Like 4

Food seemed very similar to pre-covid to me on Harmony and Indy over the past few months.

I've personally never thought the MDR was very good and still don't. It's fine but the portions are very small for someone who likes to eat. I'm also a WJ fan for dinner (not just for the unlimited portions), which likely puts me in the minority. Food opinions are, of course, very subjective.

1 hour ago, AZDivers said:

It’s all a matter of personal taste and opinion.  We were on the same cruise and found the menu to be the standard, predictable fare.  The short ribs and lobster were delicious and service was excellent,

What was far more troubling were the long lines to get into the dining room for MTD.  This seems to be the new norm fleetwide.

10 minutes ago, yogimax said:

It’s all a matter of personal taste and opinion.  We were on the same cruise and found the menu to be the standard, predictable fare.  The short ribs and lobster were delicious and service was excellent,

What was far more troubling were the long lines to get into the dining room for MTD.  This seems to be the new norm fleetwide.

Those lines were seemingly only for anytime dining or something. We went with early dining and never had a single line. Everytime we were leaving dinner we walked past those huge lines really baffled at how long they were.

Lobster and Shortrib night was the best night by far. The other nights were kinda meh. Great service though.

Just got off Enchantment last week.  There was a noticable decline in MDR food.  However, the beef dishes were almost exclusively very good.  Food served room temp or downright cold at times.  We did mention it to the Head Waiter (he was very engaged and asked), and the next evening everything was hot.  But after that, several dishes were served room temp at best. We found it to be very hit or miss with the quality, but the Windjammer Buffet was usually very good.

• Like 1

We were on Ovation in July and thought the food was good. No complaints.

However, the below was 100% true for both the MDR AND the Windjammer. Long lines to get in. While eating in the WJ, there were frequent recorded messages playing asking everyone to basically eat quickly and get out so that other people could get in. I didn't appreciate feeling rushed, but I guess that's the state of things right now.

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas

I think the MDR is OK, considering the masses they feed. What I think is really needed is a revamp of the menu. As many have already stated, it is the same menu as Pre-covid. Even if they took the current selections and mixed them up a bit, it would help I think.

CJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jalves said:

We are just off the Harmony (our 2nd time this year) and did not think the food was any different.  

We agree. It is just as bad now as it was pre shutdown. We gave up on the MDR well before the shutdown, tried to enjoy it post restart, and quickly gave up again. When the offerings in the WJ are orders of magnitude better than the MDR, we fear this is the “new normal”. 

• Like 2

Got spoiled by WJ on Serenade on our 3 cruises on her late last year. Great variety and even the pizza was good! WJ for our 3 cruises on Allure since May were a different story. No stir fry station. Constant announcements about clearing the WJ due to crowding. Just got the Golden Corral vibe with the food and atmosphere. 

We always get late set dining so no lines for us. Food was decent in MDR, but the same menu they have had for years does not lend itself to frequent sailings. Guess trying to get folks to spend extra in specialty restaurants. Hoping WJ on the smaller Granduer in November will be as good as Serenade. 

Do miss the stir fry and salad stations in MDR for lunch on the ships we have been on in the past. Hope that returns as it really was a nice option.

Edited by coaster

We resumed cruising in August, 2021 and have done 12 cruises since.  IMO,  there has been a noticeable decline in food quality during this time.  As the passenger numbers increased, food declined. 

3 of our cruises were on Allure, one in September, one in April and one a month later.  Big difference in the food from September to May!  One of my favorite dished is the beef short ribs, it was just a big glob of fat in May.   Our waiter brought me another one that was only slightly better.  

Service was great although I felt sorry for dining room staff as they seemed to be running around like crazy.  Very chaotic.

Sherri🙂

We have sailed on Enchantment twice this year, and have three more booked.  We have breakfast and lunch in WJ, and late set dining in MDR.  Everything at the right temperature.  No problems, no complaints.

Dinner menus seemed very slightly different from years past, but with as many choices.  WJ had some differences, but at least as much variety.

As others have noted, service is outstanding!

I have to say, that when I go to the grocery store, there are always things missing.  Fruit but no yogurt. Meat but no potatoes.  Cheese but no crackers.  I give the cruiselines a lot of credit for being able to provide the quantity and variety of foods that they do, as well as the continuing quality of the preparation. The main thing that keeps me going through the dullness of what I have at home is the knowledge that in a few days I'll be aboard Enchantment again.

• Like 3