The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday October 31st, 2022

richwmn

3 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Does anyone know how I can find out what the phone number for the ship is? Someone may need to call us while we’re on our cruise.

I found this on the Holland America site.  Remind them about the expense of the call.  No nasty surprises that way.

Additionally, you can call the ship directly from the shore. We recommend that you use this for the most critical emergencies only: Connecting to a Holland America Line vessel at sea is simple by using Ship Dial Service. A credit card is required for all inbound phone calls to a ship. The rate is US$16.00 per minute and billing begins at the time specified.

Please have the ship’s name, your party’s name and stateroom number before you call.

Instructions:

1. Dial 1-800-993-5483 (US). From outside the U.S. access 1-321- 837-6106.
  2. Listen to the announcement
  3. Listen to the menu and select the number that corresponds to the ship you are calling.
  4. If you receive a busy signal or message, please hang up quickly and try your call again.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Good morning everyone.- is it still morning there?

Before I attempt to get off the roof top bar ( they let me leave the door open thankfully) and  get into my room (which doesn’t stay open and is ver heavy) If I can’t - it means I need to ask ask the hotel for help

sorry I can’t multi post and admittedly too depressed after a long day yesterday. This is my life right now:

9FAC3AF5-22A4-4A28-8AC8-89BF2D923032.thumb.jpeg.0cca382775d5c3f9643b171b590dbd24.jpeg

338AC085-AF39-4016-BF38-CB35A09165EB.thumb.jpeg.473fdc9ea862d1eda386f99dcb5f0c64.jpeg

I have paid for my tours but I am not having someone having to push me on cobble stones.  I am in tears.  Now to see if I can get back to my room and ice bucket to get more ice.  Otherwise I will call.  I guess this was the 3rd thing.  My room has 3 balconies - maybe I should just jump 😉 

If I go to the HC room there are none and no view.  But the door is the same.  Pondering and depressed.

Sorry.

I did read all the posts and my heart goes out to you all but the pain pills don’t help. 

hugs to all in pain and to those with challenges from Barcelona.

Oh my God, Jacqui. How awful for you to have this happen. You certainly didn’t need this. I’m so sorry, but please stay away from those balconies. I’m also suffering from excruciating pain from my SI joint and getting a cortisone shot on Thursday morning, but I’m not on a cruise I’ve been looking for. You don’t deserve this. Praying for relief for you soon. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Oh my God, Jacqui. How awful for you to have this happen. You certainly didn’t need this. I’m so sorry, but please stay away from those balconies. I’m also suffering from excruciating pain from my SI joint and getting a cortisone shot on Thursday morning, but I’m not on a cruise I’ve been looking for. You don’t deserve this. Praying for relief for you soon. 

Jacqui, have you considered renting a power wheel chair or scooter for the cruise? I can’t remember the name of the organization but someone on here might know. I will try to look it up because they will deliver it to your cabin.Be back if I can find it.

• Like 9

Meanwhile:

A semi-spam email (from a company I've done business with, but not related to that) seems to be telling me that I have beri-beri.

The reasoning is that I drink more than a small amount of coffee, which depletes thiamine, deficiency of which causes beri-beri. If this were true, almost everyone in Scandinavia would have it.The most peculiar part is that the company doesn't seem to be trying to sell me anything to prevent or cure the beri-beri.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, kochleffel said:

Meanwhile:

A semi-spam email (from a company I've done business with, but not related to that) seems to be telling me that I have beri-beri.

The reasoning is that I drink more than a small amount of coffee, which depletes thiamine, deficiency of which causes beri-beri. If this were true, almost everyone in Scandinavia would have it.The most peculiar part is that the company doesn't seem to be trying to sell me anything to prevent or cure the beri-beri

I wonder if it  was really from the company or if their email was hacked.  I would certainly not click on any links in that email.

Roy

• Like 6

11 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Halloween report, Rich.  I'll salute the Girl Scout Founders but haven't carved a pumpkin this century.  I love the Ghandi quote but don't think I have any Psychic Powers.  I was due to visit Banjul on MS Amsterdam in 2014 but it was cancelled due to the Ebola outbreak.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Strawberry Bisque, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Apricot Strudel my final dinner on MS Amsterdam October 21, 2017:

dishes31.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Vict0riann Cousin Vicki 10/30/22
ger_77 flight problems
NextOne recovering from respiratory infection
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri in ICU after multiple falls
Ottahand7 DB with post-surgery complications
smitty24877 DH catheterization 11/1
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and poor attitude
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Successful meet and greet for 4966and556 with cat pickup set for 11/1)
AncientWanderer DH
6 days for CraztForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/6 tp 11/13)
6 days for Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS 11/6 to 11/20)
5 days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/5 to 11/12)
5 days for Kazu, 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and maybe ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19)
Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3) , Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) and Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

I posted the name and phone numbers of two companies that rent wheel chairs and scooters for the ship. Please include it somewhere tomorrow so Jacqui sees it in case she doesn’t come back here tonight. I also sent her an email. Thanks

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Does anyone know how I can find out what the phone number for the ship is? Someone may need to call us while we’re on our cruise.

This is not the answer to your question, which has already been posted, but I have a story about being called (unnecessarily) during vacations. There was a time in my life when I was hounded by unnecessary phone calls, from both work and family, all claiming to be urgent.

The following year I vacationed at the Oregon Caves National Monument, in southern Oregon. This was before mobile phones - if there is reception there even now, which is unlikely - and also before that rather remote spot had dial phones. The way you called there was to dial "0" and tell your local operator that you wanted to call Oregon Caves 1. There was only one phone line, with an extension at the Chateau and another at the ranger station.

Then you sat down and made yourself comfortable, because this was going to take some time. After a long wait, a faint, disembodied voice would come on the line and say, "Medford." Your operator would reply, hesitantly and skeptically, "I have a party who is requesting Oregon Caves 1." Immediately the Medford operator would perk up and say happily, "I'll ring it." So I could be reached, but it was difficult enough that no one would try without a very good reason.

• Like 14

Good evening. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! No pumpkin here to carve, I'll try to be more psychic and a salute to founder of the Girl Scouts. Excellent quote.

I like the meal and wine. Pass on the drink (shredded coconut). I like @rafinmd's meal too.

I haven't been to Banjul and by the photos, not sure I want to go there. 

The day got away from me. I started out early with a Rheumatology appointment. It was too early for breakfast, and my stomach was quite upset a good part of the day without eating. Still trying to get some answers. The PA doesn't think it's the Kevzara, but said I could stop it to see. I think I'll just record my symptoms in relation to timing of the injections for now. Then it was doing some online education for child abuse clearances.

@dfish No worries on today's meal. I'm glad the closing went smoothly. Sorry to hear your sister has Covid and I hope a mild case.

@StLouisCruisers Good news about Linda improving. Thanks for the photos.

@Lady Hudson I hope DH's oral surgery goes smoothly and hope you two can go on your cruise.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the Banjul pictures.

@ottahand7 Since the YF vaccine is live attenuated, I'd think besides age, people on any immunosuppressants shouldn't get it either.

@marshhawk Thanks for the recipe!

@Seasick Sailor Congrats to your niece and fiance'.

@kazu Oh no about your foot!  Not sure about that doctor and she "thinks" it's not broken. Take care, rest up and I hope things recover soon for you and the pain lessens. (((Hugs)))

@ger_77 Hoping to hear good news about your travel plans.

@mamaofami I hope the cortisone shot fixes you up.

@smitty34877 Prayers for DH's cath tomorrow.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder if it  was really from the company or if their email was hacked.  I would certainly not click on any links in that email.

Roy

I'm pretty sure that it was genuine. They seem to think of themselves as a purveyor of health information in parallel with their actual business. This is becoming more common. I know of another company, one that sells organic snack foods, that constantly posts (mostly weird) health advice on social media. The goal seems to be to keep customers constantly engaged with the company.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I posted the name and phone numbers of two companies that rent wheel chairs and scooters for the ship. Please include it somewhere tomorrow so Jacqui sees it in case she doesn’t come back here tonight. I also sent her an email. Thanks

I think it might be better to post it to her live thread.

Roy

• Like 6

5 hours ago, travelnap said:

Jaqui, I hope your ankle heals quickly and you are able to enjoy the cruise in a few days.  Gerry, I hope your travel problems work out and you are able to make it in time for the cruise.  I think this cruise is haunted with the troubles you both are having before it even starts.  Thoughts and prayers for both of you and I do hope you are both able to enjoy the cruise.  Bon Voyage.

+1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I think it might be better to post it to her live thread.

Roy

6 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Hanging out with Juliette Gordon Low at her home in Savannah. GirlScouts.thumb.jpg.f4e84cb44fc5c1c0c566606c5bcb2219.jpg

I see you posted on her live thread. Thanks.

• Like 4

Rabbits, rabbits, white rabbits, this morning  on the first day of November.

Thanks for the HAL fleet locations, the  daily, the Care and Celebration Lists and the photos of today's destination.

@Lady Hudson hope that your DH has the oral surgery promptly, and you are both able to sail on your planned cruise.

@kazu so very very sorry that your ankle is injured, would  a "moonboot"  aid walking?

What a stressful time for  @ger_77 and DH , hope that problem has been solved to their satisfaction.

@marshhawk thank you for posting the recipe.

It;s a pleasantly warm sunny day, temperature 20 C.

Unfortunately Covid case numbers are rising.

Best wishes to everyone on the care list .

• Like 8

After a sleepless night, and a lengthy phone call with a wonderful man from Holland America Line, C715239A-4890-4189-981F-3C06ACDEA268.thumb.jpeg.8811ab9833cc805918f6c1de8d0d254c.jpegBC84FB00-63F8-4C91-846B-F9D5C63B7DDF.thumb.jpeg.bdb092c1794608804b5d2e28347bac1f.jpeg and running through two airports, we are finally on our way to Paris then to Barcelona.  Thank you all for your care and concern!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good evening.  Of course the day didn't go as planned.  DH phoned and wanted me come see him.  They had changed one of his meds, and he wasn't feeling too good.  By the time I got there, he was feeling better.  The occupational therapist came in to show him safe ways to roll over and to get out of bed without twisting his back.  For the first time since his first surgery he was able to sit up and stand up by himself.  He also said in the morning PT, when he walked using the parallel bars, he walked better than yesterday.  That was a real morale booster for both of us, but especially for DH.  There is still a lot of work to do, but noticeable progress helps.

When I got home, I had time to trim three of the worst bushes. It had been a couple of years since they'd been trimmed.  They were too full on the bottom and top, but the middle had a lot of dead space.  They are now about 1/3 as tall, will grow back next spring.  The other bushes will get done in a few days.

4 hours ago, dfish said:

We closed this morning and got the keys and garage door remote.  We then went over to the house with our realtor and checked things out.   Our realtor is having the carpets cleaned on Wednesday.   

Closing went very well.  We were done in 20 minutes with no glitches.   Cash sales are the best.

Thank you, Lenda!   We are so excited!  

It was a problem with the hotel wifi.  We ended up there because my sister who lives in town has Covid right now.  The wifi came on and off like a flickering light.

Oh, my gosh, Jacqui!   No, no, no.   Do not jump off the balcony.  That is way too messy.  If you brought a swim suit, use the pool.  That helps tremendously.   I did something similar with a step years ago in Paris on the way to pick up a sister at the airport.  We were starting on our Sound of Music tour.  The first day I could not put any weight on it.  It was pretty bad the whole time I was there, but the last day we had a pool and I went in.  It didn't hurt in the pool and it actually helped it.  Hope you heal quickly!

@marshhawk Thank you so much for posting a recipe for today's meal.  That is one of the recipes I had picked out!

Debbie, that is great news the cloding went sobwell.  I agree that cadh sales are the best since you eliminate the mortgage company.  I know you are excited to get your things moved and to settle into your new house.  I'm sorry your sister has covid.  I hope it is a mild case and she recovers quickly.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good evening. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! No pumpkin here to carve, I'll try to be more psychic and a salute to founder of the Girl Scouts. Excellent quote.

I like the meal and wine. Pass on the drink (shredded coconut). I like @rafinmd's meal too.

I haven't been to Banjul and by the photos, not sure I want to go there. 

The day got away from me. I started out early with a Rheumatology appointment. It was too early for breakfast, and my stomach was quite upset a good part of the day without eating. Still trying to get some answers. The PA doesn't think it's the Kevzara, but said I could stop it to see. I think I'll just record my symptoms in relation to timing of the injections for now. Then it was doing some online education for child abuse clearances.

@dfish No worries on today's meal. I'm glad the closing went smoothly. Sorry to hear your sister has Covid and I hope a mild case.

@StLouisCruisers Good news about Linda improving. Thanks for the photos.

@Lady Hudson I hope DH's oral surgery goes smoothly and hope you two can go on your cruise.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the Banjul pictures.

@ottahand7 Since the YF vaccine is live attenuated, I'd think besides age, people on any immunosuppressants shouldn't get it either.

@marshhawk Thanks for the recipe!

@Seasick Sailor Congrats to your niece and fiance'.

@kazu Oh no about your foot!  Not sure about that doctor and she "thinks" it's not broken. Take care, rest up and I hope things recover soon for you and the pain lessens. (((Hugs)))

@ger_77 Hoping to hear good news about your travel plans.

@mamaofami I hope the cortisone shot fixes you up.

@smitty34877 Prayers for DH's cath tomorrow.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Vanessa, I hope you get some answers about the tummy issues soon.

13 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

After a sleepless night, and a lengthy phone call with a wonderful man from Holland America Line, C715239A-4890-4189-981F-3C06ACDEA268.thumb.jpeg.8811ab9833cc805918f6c1de8d0d254c.jpegBC84FB00-63F8-4C91-846B-F9D5C63B7DDF.thumb.jpeg.bdb092c1794608804b5d2e28347bac1f.jpeg and running through two airports, we are finally on our way to Paris then to Barcelona.  Thank you all for your care and concern!

Gerry, I always like a happy ending, but you should not have had to go through all that angst.  It looks like you got your business class seats.  Sleep well on the flight.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Wonderful news!   Have an absolutely fantastic time!

Thank you, Lenda.  My sister is almost over it.  Her husband is in the middle of it.  Mostly it was a runny nose, congestion, a sore throat and fatigue.  

23 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, that is great news the cloding went sobwell.  I agree that cadh sales are the best since you eliminate the mortgage company.  I know you are excited to get your things moved and to settle into your new house.  I'm sorry your sister has covid.  I hope it is a mild case and she recovers quickly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I know it’s late, but just checking in. 

There was no communication from the insurance company today.  So, tomorrow the rent will be paid  partially from our own funds.

I called twice.  Once around noon and then about 4:30 pm central time (he’s in Madison Wisconsin).

i will call his supervisor/manager tomorrow.  This is ridiculous and a waste of time.

It was just another tiring day so I will say Good night and God Bless.  

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Terri

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4