The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday November 2nd, 2022

richwmn

Today is All Souls' Day, Day of the Dead, and Plan Your Epitaph Day

May you live every day of your life.--Jonathan Swift

Meal Suggestion for today - Quinoa-Stuffed Acorn Squash with Cranberries and Feta
Drink of the Day - Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Hosmer 2019 Limited Release Riesling (Cayuga Lake)
Destination of the Day - Ishigaki Island, Japan

Eurodam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 23:00

Koningsdam

Pichilingue, Mexico

Nieuw Amsterdam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 08:00 - 23:00

Nieuw Statendam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Balearic Spai eta 11/03

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 11/03

Volendam

At Sea Destination Giardini-Naxos, Taormina, Sicily Italy eta 11/03

Zaandam

Safaga, Egypt

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Norfolk Island, Australia eta 11/05

Westerdam

Cairns, Queensland Australia 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Vaiare, French Polynesia

1102World.thumb.png.27a3fac1d999f305c6f995061b3e5f32.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

A couple of strange days there except for All Souls Day.

Can't argue with the quote.

Glad to see Cruise Critic is up and running again.

Playing golf soon even with my bumb finger as it doesn't bother my swing, seeing the doctor later today and I'm sure he will give me some antibiotics.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Glad to see Cruise Critic is working again.

Another cool morning, but supposed to be a sunny mild afternoon.  Great weather for November.

Interesting collection of days.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I like the drink too, hope the wine isn't too sweet.

I haven't been to today's port.  Thanks to all who will post pictures.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

Today is my dear late mam's 11th memory and today's daily days are quite fitting.

This photo was outside the memoriam room at the crematorium this morning.

Prayers for everyone today.

Graham.

IMG_20221102_101713.jpg

Screenshot_20221102_110211.jpg

Screenshot_20221102_110146.jpg

Screenshot_20221102_110236.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 8

As with most everyone, I’ve been having trouble with posting/liking comments because CC keeps wanting me to verify my account through a non-existent email.  No idea if this post will get through either.  I’ve managed to create a thread on the Help Forum so hopefully it gets resolved.

I forgot that we will be traveling to a wedding, this Friday till Monday, and have a whole pile of fresh veg to be consumed by the end of tomorrow.  We didn’t get one single trick-or-treater so now I have bags and bags of snacks to get rid of too!  Sheesh.

I’ve had that meal suggestion because my daughter-in-law is vegan.  That’s all I have to say about that.  🙃

I think I’ll get some gardening in before my nail appointment this afternoon.  Have a great day everyone!

(Please post.  Please please post.  🙏)

• Like 28

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  There seems to be a lot of emphasis on death in today's days, makes it seem a bit like a dark day for me.  Makes the Swift quote a little more poignant.  I have never been to Ishigaki Island.  I think I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Penne Primivera, and Viennese Apple Strudel, my first dinner on my 2017 Prinsendam Transatlantic, November 2, 2017:

dishes02.jpg

Today’s care list:

Kazu severe foot injury
RIP Vict0riann Cousin Vicki 10/30/22
Lady Hudson DH dental problem immediately before cruise
NextOne recovering from respiratory infection
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri in ICU after multiple falls
Ottahand7 DB with post-surgery complications
From the rotation:
Quaartzite Cruiser DH post surgery rehab
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and poor attitude

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

The awesome staff at kazu’s hotel
smitty34877 DH good catheterization result
7 days for me (Eurodam 11/9 to 11/20, Auto Train 11/4)
4 days for CraztForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/6 tp 11/13)
4 days for Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS 11/6 to 11/20)
3 days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/5 to 11/12)
3 days for Kazu, 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and maybe ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19)
Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3) , Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) and Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11

Ann is still having log in issues. Here is the description of the Wine of the Day:

Today’s wine from the New York Finger Lake region is a Riesling I would like to try. If it is dry enough, I would enjoy it. After all it is “pithy”. A bit elusive, but I found one online distributor offering it for $23.49.

369351_69BE_MAY21.jpg

Hosmer 2019 Limited Release Riesling (Cayuga Lake)

#45 ENTHUSIAST 100 2021
Return to List
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Concentrated tones of apple, white grapefruit, citrus perfume and peach make for a deep well of aromas on the nose. There's real depth to the palate, where a gentle, pithy texture is lifted by juicy pome and stone fruit. It has an almost oily feel, yet that texture is quickly put to rest by the pervasive drive of the zesty acidity. It's one to sip, savor and, if you can, cellar. Drink now–2030. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Good morning, everyone.  

Busy day planned for today.   I need to get as much packed as I can, including the lamps, linens, and clothing.  The new owners are coming by today at 1:00 for a walk through.  I'm hoping I can give away more stuff to them.  Friends Tom and Tim are coming at 2:15 to help me get two worn out pieces to the curb for pickup tomorrow.  I did call and get some reinforcements to help with the packing on Thursday afternoon.  It seems like it is never ending.  

Today's meal sounds great to me.  I love acorn squash and could tailor the stuffing to my tastes easily.  This is a great dish for your vegetarian/vegan family members.  You can use it as a main course or as a side dish.  https://wearenotmartha.com/quinoa-stuffed-acorn-squash/

278669249_Quinoa-Stuffed-Acorn-Squash1.thumb.jpg.d581a410a7bbf17180c3a8416ce7712e.jpg

This one is a little different with pecans and orange infused quinoa.  It uses a goat cheese drizzle or you can use a cream feta.  Or even sour cream.   https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/cranberry-pecan-quinoa-stuffed-acorn-squash/

988049198_quinoa-stuffed-acornsquash2.jpg.31b78c9fb9288d6202fc11498b357797.jpg

Here we have one with a Mediterranean based filling.  It may be too healthy for some.   https://www.acedarspoon.com/mediterranean-stuffed-acorn-squash/

730310814_quinoastuffedacornsquash4.thumb.jpg.4777e4e5c90ac7234f281d70bc5afb67.jpg

This Vegetarian Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe inspired by Canadian First Nation’s Cuisine is the perfect healthy and meatless main course for your Thanksgiving table. 

https://cinnamonandcoriander.com/en/wild-rice-stuffed-acorn-squash-with-feta-cranberries-pecans/?cookie-state-change=1667388056976

210592166_quinoastuffedacornsquash5.jpg.2597315694b76ee60bd3f528f689ab0e.jpg

I know mine would never look that good coming out of the oven.  But, I can hope!

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends!  Still having issues with CC.  What is with this send verification email thing?  Like @*Miss G* I see no verification email in any of our accounts.  Hope this posts!

It's about 54F and we were planning on taking our pre-dawn walk outdoors today but my weather app sighted rain in the area so we didn't chance it.  Downstairs to the treadmill instead.  It will be 74 with partly cloudy skies later.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  An odd grouping of days and like Roy I'm not a fan of the depressing nature of it.  No thanks to the squash menu suggestion, nor the drink or wine.  Our port today in Japan was posted here earlier on Aug. 31, 2021 and below is the link to it for everyone's convenience.  I have not visited Ishigaki, Japan before.

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebrations list.  So many people to pray for which makes your list very helpful to keep up.  Prayers for them all!  Cheers to the many shown on the Celebration list with a lot of you going on cruises in the coming days.  

Hoping Jacqui @kazuis feeling better and can put weight on that foot before embarkation day.  Praying Lou is doing fine today as well as Tana @smitty34877.    Good wishes to Lenda and Steve @Quartzsite Cruiser.   Hoping all have a safe day and good health.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

Today is my dear late mam's 11th memory and today's daily days are quite fitting.

IMG_20221102_101713.jpg

Screenshot_20221102_110211.jpg

Screenshot_20221102_110146.jpg

Screenshot_20221102_110236.jpg

Best wishes to you as you remember your Mam on her 11th memory day.  I'm sure she was very proud of the fine, empathetic man you grew up to be.🙏

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Hey! CC allowed me to post directly from the reply box,  but kept requiring a verification email, when I clicked on the  “Reply to this topic” link at the top. 

Sorry Rich, I should have thought to try that before bothering you. Thank you again for coming to the rescue.

A very grateful Ann!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

Hey! CC allowed me to post directly from the reply box,  but kept requiring a verification email, when I clicked on the  “Reply to this topic” link at the top. 

Sorry Rich, I should have thought to try that before bothering you. Thank you again for coming to the rescue.

A very grateful Ann!

Happy to do it.

• Like 21

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily Fleet report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion.  I’ve been trying to use up leftovers from the freezer before we leave for vacation.  I want some room for our shopping at Shady Maple when we visit family over Thanksgiving.  @richwmn when traveling the Finger Lakes area for work I picked up some wines and found them to be too sweet for our tastes.  I’m glad that CC is working this morning.  I’m watching a cruise on the Zaandam for next September that starts in Montreal and ends in Boston.  It visits several ports that we haven’t seen.  All suites are sold.  I’m thinking of booking it while on the NA next week.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a dark central Texas.  It's still about an hour before sunrise.  The weather channel mentions a dense fog advisory.  It should burn off once the sun comes up, and I hope it's gone when I leave for my haircut this morning.  It should be completely gone when I leave for Waco to see DH.  

Talking with this case manager yesterday, there are still areas where DH needs a lot help.  He is beginning to make some progress.  We were both happy he was able to get out of bed, walk with the walker, turn 90 degrees and get into the wheelchair by himself yesterday afternoon.

All Souls Day and Day of the Dead are interesting days.  I'm not sure anyone could top Rodney Dangerfield's epitaph, "There Goes the Neighborhood".   BTW, it has been a trivia question on BHBs.

I like the Jonathan Swift quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I'd like to try the wine if it's not too sweet.

We have not been to Ishigaki Island, Japan.

@ger_77  Gerry, I think getting out of the house in one hour after the phone call with only one wrong pair of shoes, was good.  I'm sure your DH will find a pair to wear on the cruise.  I was very happy that someone at HAL got the flights arranged and you were able to get to Barcelona comfortably and safely.

@MISTER 67  I hope the doctor can help with your sore finger without any trouble.

@richwmn  Rich, thank you for posting Ann's @cat shepard wine review.

@dfish  Debbie, while you are very busy, it seems you have things under control.  Just like on a BHB, remember to leave some clothes out to wear until the moving van arrives at your new home.  🤣

@grapau27  Graham, I'll be thinking of you and Pauline on your Mam's 11 remembrance day.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your foot is better today and continues to improve.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

The old fashioned is a cocktail made by muddling sugar with bitters and water, adding whiskey or, less commonly, brandy, and garnishing with orange slice or zest and a cocktail cherry. It is traditionally served in an old fashioned glass, which predated the cocktail. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Whisky
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Bourbon or Rye whiskey, 1 Sugar cube, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, Few dashes plain water
Preparation: Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitters, add a dash of plain water. Muddle until dissolved. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey. Garnish with orange slice, and a cocktail cherry.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Cocktail cherry, Orange slice
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 8.21.53 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  My DB has stabilized but he is in dreadful shape.  Watching him get from the chair to the bed with the help of a nurse and an aide was so hard to see.   It took every bit of his strength to stand and do the minimal amount of turning his arms were quivering.   He will be in hospital at least through today.   His color is better than what I saw on Sunday aided by a pint blood transfusion.   I find it malpractice that a surgeon would do surgery on someone who is morbidly obese as my brother is.    I just hope that he can recover to the point that he can be chair bound at home sometime.   He gets lots of visitors with myself and my 2 sisters and his 2 kids and their spouses.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports.   A dark bunch of days I agree.  Quote is great.    Pass on meal, wine and cocktail but look forward to the photos from our Japan port today.   Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.   

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning.  My DB has stabilized but he is in dreadful shape.  Watching him get from the chair to the bed with the help of a nurse and an aide was so hard to see.   It took every bit of his strength to stand and do the minimal amount of turning his arms were quivering.   He will be in hospital at least through today.   His color is better than what I saw on Sunday aided by a pint blood transfusion.   I find it malpractice that a surgeon would do surgery on someone who is morbidly obese as my brother is.    I just hope that he can recover to the point that he can be chair bound at home sometime.   He gets lots of visitors with myself and my 2 sisters and his 2 kids and their spouses.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports.   A dark bunch of days I agree.  Quote is great.    Pass on meal, wine and cocktail but look forward to the photos from our Japan port today.   Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.   

Nancy

I am so sorry to read about your DB. Praying that his condition improves so he can regain some quality of life.  Bless you and the other Sisters for giving him plenty of visitors. 

Ann

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

Nancy

I am so sorry to read about your DB. Praying that his condition improves so he can regain some quality of life.  Bless you and the other Sisters for giving him plenty of visitors. 

Ann

Thank you so much!   He needs them.  Nancy

• Like 17

Good morning. We both finally crashed to the tune of I could have danced (slept) all night! One more day and we should be back to normal.

Yesterday, when I tried to sign in I saw a notice from CC stating they were aware of log in issues and we should disregard any E-mails an do not reset our password as the problem is at CC and not us. Seems like it’s running OK this morning.

We definitely need a grocery run today and I need to do some outside cleanup as the ole oak tree is giving birth to thousands of acorns.

On our cruise with Scenic I was asked to check out about solo cruising with the line. All I could get out of the HD and CD was yes we have solo’s some time. Usually with late bookings and some early bookings?? I never was able to get a definitive answer.☹️

Thanks for the report and list and food wine and cocktail columns.

Have a great Hump Day and continued prayers for all in need.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, summer slope said:

The old fashioned is a cocktail made by muddling sugar with bitters and water, adding whiskey or, less commonly, brandy, and garnishing with orange slice or zest and a cocktail cherry. It is traditionally served in an old fashioned glass, which predated the cocktail. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Whisky
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Bourbon or Rye whiskey, 1 Sugar cube, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, Few dashes plain water
Preparation: Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitters, add a dash of plain water. Muddle until dissolved. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey. Garnish with orange slice, and a cocktail cherry.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Cocktail cherry, Orange slice
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 8.21.53 AM.png

Dixie, today is the day for Father @Himselfto stop by and see the drink of the day.  It's his favorite I think.  I read he is going on a cruise soon now that vaccinations are no longer necessary.  I hope he has a good time and stays negative the whole cruise.

9 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Gosh, I'm sorry your DB is struggling after his surgery and problems with it.  Thank goodness he has visitors from the family to look forward to!

As for photos of Ishigaki I saw only one person post their personal photos from there last time and that was Carol @CJcruzer, an infrequent poster.  Maybe she will see a notification of a mention here and come back today.  There were also a couple photos posted from @Sir PMP.

• Like 16