The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday November 3rd, 2022

richwmn

Today is Dominican Independence Day, Give Someone a Dollar Day, and International Stout Day

Wicked people never have time for reading. It's one of the reasons for their wickedness.--Lemony Snicket

Meal Suggestion for today - Chickpea and Kale Rigatoni with Smoky Bread Crumbs
Drink of the Day - Key Lime Sparkler
Wine of the Day - Cavallotto 2013 Bricco Boschis Vigna San Giuseppe Riserva (Barolo) Piedmont
Destination of the Day - St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Cartagena Colombia eta 11/04

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 11/05

Nieuw Amsterdam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Key West, Florida eta 11/04

Oosterdam

Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Balearic Spain 07:00 - 19:00

Rotterdam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Giardini-Naxos, Taormina, Sicily Italy 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Mahe Island, Victoria, Seychelles eta 11/08

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Noumea, New Caledonia eta 11/5

Westerdam

Airlie Beach, Queensland Australia 11:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Raiatea Island, Uturoa, French Polynesia 08:00 - 17:00

1103World.thumb.png.3662916e00991cab8b85f6d24473233e.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

A cool morning with a bit of fog.  But another sunny mild afternoon in the forecast.🙂

Interesting days.  I'm not sure who I'll give a dollar to, maybe I'll make a donation to a local charity.  I don't drink stout, but it makes stew extra tasty.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink, but think I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.

It is going to be another warm day here in northeast Ohio.  At least warm for November.  Today is the final day of packing before we load up the truck and head north.  I am down to two apples, some garlic, and a container of yogurt to eat.  I'm eating one apple now for breakfast.  I don't have any utensils to eat the yogurt, so it will go in the cooler tomorrow morning.  I managed to give away the ancient microwave, the dining room table and chairs, and the twin bed.  We won't be needing any of those and really don't have any place to put them.  I will be very happy when this move is over. 

Today's recipe sounds pretty good, but is a bit carb heavy.  I could only find one recipe that was exact to the title, but others come close.   I think it is the smoky bread crumbs that make it unique.  The first recipe page tried to make me sign up for an account the first time I went to it, but not the second.  https://my.whisk.com/recipes/1010da07e140869ec4cdbf2528fe078fbb4bfc51231

501621869_Chickpeakalerigatoni1.jpg.452d7408f7d2eceb6f6f64fdcca82a97.jpg

The second one is also demanding a subscription now, but didn't last night.   https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020999-pasta-with-chorizo-chickpeas-and-kale

705868817_chickpeakalerigatoni3.jpg.f340e63c84e3fe778c11de092f3824ba.jpg

Hopefully the third one is the charm.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/rigatoni-with-greens-3607377

1259370812_chickpeakalerigatoni4.thumb.jpeg.25fb82b5a8817b37c0372290ce75d2d5.jpeg

The Meal of the Day will be on hiatus tomorrow and Saturday.  We hope to return on Sunday, depending on if I can get the internet hooked up or not.  I have to buy some cable as well as pick up a new modem.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

Thank you Rich for the Thursday (my local TV anchor calls it Firday Jr. and I like that).  I'm sure there will be lots of celebrations in the Dominican Republic today.  If you want to give me a dollar I'll surely take it.  I'll pass on the stout.  At first I missed the never in the quote but as is it makes a lot more sense.  I've been to St. Thomas but I don't think on a BHB.

The meal is interesting.  My alternative is Honey Pineapple, Rack of Lamb with Cannellinni Beans, and Black Forest Cake as served on MS Prinsendam November 3, 2017:

dishes1103.jpg.091de2992736d1fa8414e8da057f0159.jpg

My postings may be at odd times for the next few days, perhaps even until I get back from my cruise:

Today’s care list:

Kazu severe foot injury
RIP Vict0riann Cousin Vicki 10/30/22
Lady Hudson DH dental problem immediately before cruise
NextOne recovering from respiratory infection
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri in ICU after multiple falls
Ottahand7 DB with post-surgery complications
From the rotation:
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Cruisin Terri leak damage and recalcitrant insurance company
Sandi’s neighbor Linda recovering at home

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kazu getting out to dinner
Progress for Cruisin Terri
Cortosone help for Mamaofami
6 days for me (Eurodam 11/9 to 11/20, Auto Train 11/4)
3 days for CraztForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/6 to 11/13)
3 days for Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS 11/6 to 11/20)
2 days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/5 to 11/12)
2 days for Kazu, 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and maybe ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19)
Welcome home Oceansawqy17
Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) and Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

As a voracious reader, I like the quote.

Pass on the food.

We have probably been to St. Thomas more than 30 times on cruises, heading there again on our Dec. 4th cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Down through the years we have supported the economy in St. Thomas with many purchases from watches to cameras to globes to china to Lladro and many other items plus a lot of beach time at Magens Bay, one of the great beaches on the planet.

Had a snag starting my antibiotics for my infected finger as the nurse at my MD's office either forgot to send the prescription to Publix or sent it to the the wrong pharmacy. Heading to the office at 9AM and will insist on a written prescription and hand carry it to our pharmacy, I need to get on the antibiotics like right now, don't want any septis problems. I have already had bloodwork done at 6AM this morning, first customer of the day at Quest.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 26

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good if I omit the kale.  Overnight I received our notice to complete our health assessment.  That’s done and Verfly has now given us the green pass.  Time will tell if we can use it.  Today the town is removing the top layer of asphalt to prepare for a replaced street.  I’m expecting lots of noise, hopefully not while on a call.  I hope everyone has a good day.

image.png.05cb777cbb5438b4e36c3af14d0431b3.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Up early but rested,  meanwhile the body thinks it’s noon time! We got unpacked, sorted through trash mail and laundry is complete. DW left her I Pad at security at Lyon Airport. Surprisingly they found it and our mailing it to us.🙏

Tonight we have our church small group of which I’m not very prepared for but it will be nice to see everyone. We have been meeting on Thursday nights for around ten years now.

We have had many flights this year and yesterday I received notification from Delta that I have reached Platinum status. Less of a benefit these days as the planes are flying full capacity so less upgrades but I will use my 500,000 accrued points to good use some day.

We have been to St Thomas many times and will revisit again in January when we check out the Azamara Onward and the cabin we will occupy on the 2024 World Cruise. A 155 day voyage is still mind boggling!

Thanks for the Fleet Report, Roy’s Care List and all who contribute to our Daily read. Prayers for all who are having issues or sorrows these days.

• Like 24

Good morning friends!  It's 54F and will head up to 75 and sunshine today.  A nice fall day.  Trying to make a comprehensive list of things we have to get done in the next two weeks.  My Christmas cards are written but I need to buy the Christmas stamps and ask a neighbor to mail them next month for me.

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I see the Volendam is in Taormina today.  Three cheers to Dominican Independence.  Giving someone a dollar reminds me I have to see how many dollars we have in the safe to take with us on our Amazon cruise.  No thanks to having stout.  I can't see myself liking our recipe with chickpeas and kale in it so I'll pass.  Also wouldn't like the drink or cocktail.  Interesting to see our port of the day, St. Thomas, has never been listed here before!  We have been there on Princess 4 times and on Rotterdam once which was in 2019.  The Princess cruises were before DH retired.  

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the extensive Care and Celebration lists.  So many still in need of our prayers.  Those were said by me before I popped out of bed to do the treadmill.  To all on the Celebration list, I wish you good luck, happy times, and smooth and enjoyable cruises.  Wishing Debbie @dfishan orderly truck loading and unloading this weekend.  Hope you get that internet going quickly!  Have a good morning everyone!

• Like 27

Every time I see kale in a recipe I think of a juice cleanse I once went on.  Each lunch and dinner smoothie had kale in it.  I think I maybe lasted three days before my stomach, mind, and body mutinied.  Tonight we will be having pork chops with broccoli and roasted butternut squash.  Although if I throw some kale in it and give it a few whirls in the blender I could have a refreshing smoothie.  🤮

Today I will be trying on dresses from my closet to see which one will let me wear it to the wedding.  I anticipate being thoroughly depressed by this evening.

@dfish, I am impressed with your packing skills and the whittling down of your groceries.  Safe travels as you embark on your journey to your new home.  It sounds like a wonderful adventure.

• Like 27

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Glad all seems back to “normal” with CC.  
Roy thank you for keeping up with us, even through the craziness of the past two days. 

It is a lovely morning here, though we have been warned about a Nor’Easter coming next week - again during the King tides. Our County had 16 beach accesses damaged by Ian’s rough surf - some totally closed until repaired, so the County is bracing for this one. 

Though not destroyed the way some of the West Coast towns and islands were, the Southern part of my County took a beating. In fact the condo high rises along where @JAM37, Julia and family purchased I are being looked at closely to make sure their foundations are secure. I hope Julia and her family are ok. 

Just a day of chores and a bit of prep for Thanksgiving. My niece’s family of four are coming for a visit and staying with me. Her two girls (11 and 7 years old) are excited because my pool’s temp is around 80. Hot for them. Not for me. 😎

I hope all of us feel this way about this amazing place that Rich created…

F3D05D4E-1A17-4D53-9ADF-3DAE5D86CA8F.jpeg.357e7e111ab8ba71f2e6de80102294f8.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @Quartzsite Cruiser @smitty34877 Lenda, so wonderful to read about Steve’s progress. Terry, so happy to read that Lou is doing well. @ottahand7 Nancy, praying that your DB improves to the point that he is able to go home. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Cavallotto 2013 Bricco Boschis Vigna San Giuseppe Riserva (Barolo) Piedmont

This might be a bit too much wine for me to handle, though I would love to taste it. And it is certainly out of my price range. A bit elusive, I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $185.00.

WE 100 Wine Enthusiast, November 2020
A dazzling showing that combines Old School structure with finesse, this stunning red offers sublime aromas of rose, camphor, dark-skinned berry and new leather. Full bodied and delicious, the compelling palate delivers fruit purity and complexity, featuring ripe Marasca cherry, raspberry compote, star anise and tobacco. A backbone of noble tannins and vibrant acidity keeps it impeccably balanced. 
WA 99 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate, July 2020
The Cavallotto 2013 Barolo Riserva Bricco Boschis Vigna San Giuseppe feels magically cool even as the wine warms in the glass. Eucalyptus, menthol and medicinal herbs rise from the bouquet, with dark fruit and savory spice in tow. When you first open the bottle, it shows a distinct mineral character with crushed aspirin, limestone and graphite. I opened a second bottle a few days before this tasting and had both bottles side by side to compare. Both showed impressive results with a pristine level of focus, sharpness and linearity. With aeration, those dark fruit nuances come to the forefront, showing dried cherry, plum and candied orange peel. A few hours later, you pick up on leather, tobacco and cedar wood. This is a fluid and ever-changing wine that is well worth adding to your cellar selection. What a beauty.- ML 
WS 96 Wine Spectator, April 2020
A classically proportioned Barolo, featuring cherry, plum, tar, iron and eucalyptus flavors, with floral hints. Dense and tannic, offering balance and a long, mouthwatering finish. Solid tannins are offset by ripe fruit and fresh acidity. Best from 2023 through 2046. 777 cases made, 300 cases imported. — BS 
W&S 95 Wine & Spirits, December 2020
Initially reticent, this Riserva unfolds with exposure to air, revealing fresh floral scents and bright cherry flavors edged in notes of tobacco and tangy blood orange. The fruit comes from the family’s nine acres of vines in the heart of Castiglione Falletto’s Bricco Boschis cru, and the wine aged for close to five years in large oak casks. Lithe and firmly structured, it is still in its nascent stages and will only get better with more cellar time. Skurnik Wines & Spirits, NY 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good morning from a sunny 50°F at the beach in North East England.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Being from the UK I only give dollars when we are on an American ship or in the US.

Stout is an acquired taste and Guinness from Ireland is the most well known.

Some people are wicked regardless if they read or not.

Debbie @dfishfood looks nice.

We have been to St Thomas a couple of times.

our first visit was on Crown Princess in January 2007 and our second visit was on Explorer of the seas in January 2008.

I wish everyone Good Health and happy cruising.

Graham.

IMG_20221103_103046.jpg

Screenshot_20221103_114152.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

It is going to be another warm day here in northeast Ohio.  At least warm for November.  Today is the final day of packing before we load up the truck and head north.  I am down to two apples, some garlic, and a container of yogurt to eat.  I'm eating one apple now for breakfast.  I don't have any utensils to eat the yogurt, so it will go in the cooler tomorrow morning.  I managed to give away the ancient microwave, the dining room table and chairs, and the twin bed.  We won't be needing any of those and really don't have any place to put them.  I will be very happy when this move is over. 

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Debbie

There is light at the end of this tunnel & it is NOT a train!

Best of luck over the next couple of days. And then the worst will be behind you! We are all routing for you. And I am fairly confident that we will not starve, if you are not able to post recipes. 

Ann

• Like 25

Thanks for the Fleet Update and general info.

Well, the all and powerful RNB has come through. You may remember last week was National Psychic Day and on this here CC site I predicted that there would be a cruise story from me this week, and hear it is! So today I am not only your CC sidekick but also your CC psy kick. The cruise story for today is,

Don’t Rain on My Parade

Please do not expect me to burst out in a show tune. Those days are long gone. No this story starts way back on November 16, 2016, on the Koningsdam, 10 day, Caribbean cruise. We were about 30 minutes from reaching the port of Aruba at about 7:00 am in the morning. I walked out onto our balcony and all I could see was clouds, rain and lightning. As we approached the port the rain stopped but the whole area appeared to be flooded. Then at 7:45 am in the morning the Captain announced on the PA system the following, “ Due to the heavy rain over nite all shore excursions have been cancelled and there will be no public transportation from or to the port. You will be allowed to go ashore on your own.” Well, I was not going to let this rain on my parade. I had planned to go on a snorkel excursions so once docked and cleared, I put on my swim trucks, snorkel shirt, flip flops and snorkel masks and headed off the ship.

Immediately when I got away from the terminal I began wading through water and my first stop right outside the port was a store that was actually opened for business and not flooded, Diamonds International. When I walked in a customer screamed, “Look, it’s a monster.” I quickly took of my snorkel mask and said, “ No it’s me, RedneckBob, do you remember me from a year ago.” The store manager rushed up to me and said, “Well hello RNB, I remember you.” For which I replied, “Good to see you, do you remember a year ago I bought a 5 carrot ring with the exotic stone from Cuban, it was Cuban Zirconia  . 😀 I asked the store manager that I planned to snorkel in town, where would be the best place. He replied, “ If you snorkel in the street make sure you stay within the pedestrian crossing zone.” Thanks. When I got to Main Street there was too much traffic so I decided not to snorkel. So I guess you can say it rained on my parade!

RNB out!

2D774BEF-76D3-44AA-8D40-5CE1D788569E.thumb.jpeg.638d8c08c5f7dcca6aa4b1bfdd1263de.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 15

Good morning from the airport, TIA to be exact. We’ve been up since 2:30 am. The weather here is going to be cold and possible rain. I’m glad we will not be here.  Our flight leaves at 6:00 am so we don’t have long to wait. 

Craig wanted to bring four books and he finally decided on three. Those who know him know that he always has a book with him. 

We have been to St Thomas so many times I’ve lost count. I like chick peas but not so much with pasta and I’ll always pass on kale. 😉

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 28

Key Lime Sparkler cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Cruzan® Key Lime Rum
1/2 parts JDK & Sons™ O3 Premium Orange Liqueur
2 dashes Bitters
1 part Wine, Sparkling
Orange Twist

Instructions
Combine Key Lime Rum, John DeKuyper & Sons O3 Premium Orange Liqueur & Bitters over ice and stir. Strain into a chilled coupe and add sparkling wine. Garnish with a wide twist of orange peel.

Screenshot 2022-11-03 at 8.14.35 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

Good morning from Hilton Head Island.  It is about 63 degrees and will warm up to 77 today and will be sunny.

We’re up early as today will be a busy day.

I have a hairdresser appointment at noon and then am scheduled to get my COVID booster at 2 pm.  DH was unable to get an appointment until tomorrow but he will come with me and plead his case and hope they will give him his booster as well.

We also have to wait for some UPS and FedEx envelopes today and tomorrow at our house.  So we will stay there until they come.  Hopefully will not have to wait too long.

We are very happy that work will start on our home in the next week or so.  We expect to get the insurance money either today or tomorrow and meet with the contractor midweek next week to firm things up.  Yippee!  Thank you all for your good wishes and prayers.  

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report and for the Cares and Celebration lists.

Prayers for all those who need them and Cheers to those who are celebrating and cruising.

Need to get ready to go over to Bluffton so I will bid adieu for now.

God Bless and stay safe.

Terri

• Like 26

Good morning.  I had a nice visit with DB and DSIL yesterday.  I made it in time for his PT session if you want to call it that.  He sat up in bed and walked a total of 15' around his bed with his walker and then he cried pain and sat back onto the bed.   While they were getting him up he started bleeding from his bed sores that he developed after his first surgery in September.   He had treatment at the hospital for it and was getting better and then the setback.   I cut my visit short to allow him some privacy.   He will be moved to a rehab about 10 miles away so he will be closer than the hospital.    Last time he was to be released to rehab he had a setback so fingers crossed for a safe trip there today.    Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.  On a happier note, my 97 year old friend Frank has been home for a couple weeks and is trying to give up his use of the cane.  All the time climbing in the woods foraging for mushrooms and handball into his late 80s gave him a good base to recover.  

Today we have a wine dinner at a winery in Fennville MI.  When we first visited the place and walked in it looked like a fancy Oregon wine tasting room.   All their wines are great too, even reds which is unusual for Michigan.

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports and all the great research for the food, wine and cocktails.  Prayers for all on our care list.   Thanks @RedneckBobfor the story about your rainy day in Saint Thomas.  Been there many times and will be back there around New Years on our 7 day pre-GSA cruise on the Volendam.    Have a great day! 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.It will get up to 65 or so today but I needed a jacket for dog walking earlier.We proceeded in the dark and  will be glad for the weekend  time change.

@MISTER 67,I hope you finally got your medication. We had a similar issue with an important  med DH needed and it took an unbelievable  number of phone calls to get it straight.

We were in St Thomas on the family cruise we did with my mother and siblings. I took mom to a great beach and she was so happy to be swimming in the beautiful  water.

Wishing you all the best.

Terry

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. I got my new glasses and can't see a thing. Costco is blaming the doctor for the wrong prescription and the doctor says they has had nothing but trouble from their glasses so I get to go back to the doctor today and they will sort it out. Fun fun. I spent two hours there last time. I got my luggage pick up scheduled for the Grand South American and  the Antartic, so that is good. Did a suitcase search yesterday and found I needed to purchase another one that is bigger then anything I have. Prayers for all and wishing happy times for everyone. 

• Like 22

20 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. I got my new glasses and can't see a thing. Costco is blaming the doctor for the wrong prescription and the doctor says they has had nothing but trouble from their glasses so I get to go back to the doctor today and they will sort it out. Fun fun. I spent two hours there last time. I got my luggage pick up scheduled for the Grand South American and  the Antartic, so that is good. Did a suitcase search yesterday and found I needed to purchase another one that is bigger then anything I have. Prayers for all and wishing happy times for everyone. 

Did you call to get your luggage pickup scheduled?   The paperwork was rather vague allowing us to think they will contact us.  Ours are all ready.   Many thanks!  Nancy 

• Like 10

I remember our first stop at Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas, Dec. 2003.  It was only our second cruise and in those days we didn't go too far from the U.S.  We also didn't take long cruises at that time due to DH's work schedule.  On that day, we took a little tour which drove us around getting an overall look at the island.  Then we did some shopping and bought me something sparkly!

Ships docked at Havensight.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlvg0PZUp1D2H1iwVKJY4a?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185492

And the opposite direction at Crown Bay.  Looks like there could be a BHB docked there to me.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJiVdH15eHXCP8hyJsG7rRk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185495

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLhgGi-u5As3NcchuhinPSQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185520

Our open air van driving us around the island00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKoYW6mkDo7EXotpEvCSWQZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185532

Beautiful Magens Bay00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKZVaBGhY5zYB0sP_KwQlNe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185542

Next stop was St. Peter Greathouse which also had lovely views00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLN-ymPnyosFX1miTtdJSbQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185553

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLarkxpRtR0DcGXMpEXwwwd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185565

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKQKU8J0ciujM1qqlDBZhY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185574

Time for dinner, but enjoying the view from the balcony.  Happy to be wearing my new diamond slide pendant too!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9PYE4_zFDdytn0xsnCnyU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365185596

Little did I know how big a part of our lives cruising would become.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6