New menus on Symphony reported

John&LaLa

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Speed is very important if you want to catch a show or activity after dinner.

They have stuff like that on a cruise😉

And FWIW, you have no idea how MTD works and how tables turn over

All you need to do is tell your waiter that you have a show to catch.  Prior to pandemic, some waiters asked us if we had a show to catch and acted accordingly 

If it's not for economics why are these so-called extreme problems coming to light now.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, molly361 said:

And hence the reason for the upcharge😇

This makes no sense.  We have always had waiters practically beg us to take a second lobster, and if one person at the table says yes, they bring 3-4 and try to give talk someone else into taking one.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Speed can affect cost. If they can consistently turn over an MDR table 3x during the dinner service, it might worth it to them.

Not sure they need to turn tables in MDR, maybe to reduce the lines getting in.

Turning tables quickly would benefit the pay venues

4 hours ago, nelblu said:

All you need to do is tell your waiter that you have a show to catch.  Prior to pandemic, some waiters asked us if we had a show to catch and acted accordingly 

If it's not for economics why are these so-called extreme problems coming to light now.

Long lines getting into the venue seem to be getting worse

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not sure they need to turn tables in MDR.

One of the points of Dynamic Dining and the design/size of the "MDR" on Q class (smaller in relation to the number of passengers than other ships) was the ability to do that. Getting those early traditional diners out of there earlier, may help with MTD seating.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Long lines getting into the venue seem to be getting worse

In my 3 sailings (Allure Feb.), Anthem (Easter) and Oasis (Oct,) the long lines were for MTD.  However, I had traditional early seating on Oasis and when finished around 6:30 the diners were grouped according to their reservation time.

Alos, I did notice that on the Oasis 3rd deck restaurant which accommodated MTD, the back portion of restaurant was sealed off and no diners.   Don't know if it was every night or some nights because I wasn't facing the back of the restaurant the entire cruise.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Speed can affect cost. If they can consistently turn over an MDR table 3x during the dinner service, it might worth it to them.

There may some very small effect of speed on cost.  However, the number of different types of entrees really doesn't impact speed. The only impact is if they put a small timer on each table and tell people they have to be out at a specific time.

The number of entrees doesn't really change how long people take to decide what to eat (unless they cut it down to four entrees: meat, chicken, seafood, vegetarian), it does not change how long it takes the waiter to take the order, it does not change how long it takes to carry dishes to the table, it does not change how long it takes people to eat dinner. 

The impact of a smaller number of entrees is the size of the kitchen staff, fewer entrees = less kitchen staff, and to some extent waste in the kitchen (making too much of a particular entree).  They could cut down on the waste by just making people order the day before.

On 11/27/2022 at 6:13 AM, Biker19 said:

If no one is eating in the MDR and purchasing the (now much more expensive) UDP this definitely affects cost.. Just saying.  I for one do not like Indian food, nor am I impressed with the menus that have been posted. My children and I look forward to our favorite MDR dishes on our cruises. WJ has been less than stellar as of late too. Not very happy. I know my kiddos will be disappointed - I don't see much on the menu they will eat - and they aren't kid menu eaters either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seasidemama said:

If no one is eating in the MDR and purchasing the (now much more expensive) UDP this definitely affects cost.. Just saying. 

All of the specialty venues combined on Symphony can seat at best about 20% of what the MDR can accommodate -the MDR will still be quite full.

• Like 1

Frankly, I see MOST of what we ordered on Explorer last month.  I still see something I’d like just about every night.  Maybe I’m just not paying enough attention but except for dropping the classic options, doesn’t look that different to me.

13 minutes ago, poocher said:

Frankly, I see MOST of what we ordered on Explorer last month.  I still see something I’d like just about every night.  Maybe I’m just not paying enough attention but except for dropping the classic options, doesn’t look that different to me.

Yes, but the classic section provides additional flexibility if the entrees are not to our liking.  Salmon, steak and pasta are good substitutes.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Yes, but the classic section provides additional flexibility if the entrees are not to our liking.  Salmon, steak and pasta are good substitutes.

I agree. With the pared-down menu options, we'd be struggling to find something to our liking on more than one night. 😞

• Like 1

9 hours ago, seasidemama said:

If no one is eating in the MDR and purchasing the (now much more expensive) UDP this definitely affects cost.. Just saying.  I for one do not like Indian food, nor am I impressed with the menus that have been posted. My children and I look forward to our favorite MDR dishes on our cruises. WJ has been less than stellar as of late too. Not very happy. I know my kiddos will be disappointed - I don't see much on the menu they will eat - and they aren't kid menu eaters either.

Interesting that prior to this thread, folks just raved about the secret Indian menu😉🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Yes.  My plan for nights the entrees are not great is to order multiple appetizers with a couple of sides.

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Any updates from those onboard as to whether the "new" menus have been implemented on any other ships? Results of the survey? 

Just off of Anthem.  While no new menus were on the ship, we were told by the head waiter that the new menus would be implemented fleet wide on January 1.   I'm thinking that the getting guest input (via survey) is probably more of a PR move as it's most likely already been decided.  I guess, we'll wait and see.

• Like 1