The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday November 20th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Welcome back, hope you had a great cruise, we sail 2 weeks from today on the Nieuw Amsterdam, don't know what to expect with reviews all over the place on the HAL boards.

Interestingly we booked the two weeks with one booking number.  Each week we received two 5* dinners in the Tamarind.  I did not complain about that mistake. 

• Like 14

Good morning from Cayucos Beach, California. We had a beautiful drive down through Big Sur and Pacific Coast Highway. The house the kids rented is beautiful with lovely views and perfect setting for gorgeous sunsets.
Today’s agenda is wine tasting at two vineyards along with lunch. Most meals will be out as we didn’t bring a lot of cooking supplies with us. Four adults and a toddler in a Tesla was pretty tight quarters for riding!

Thanks for the reports and post.

image.thumb.jpeg.c1ab4f63151274b050fab123fcd5b0c6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ceb27325dfa0940aca9b431288869698.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a00679360c5ad509cd35ecb48fcc2a16.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1402ba26fa2c41f2dbf6be21867fbc30.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fe93af45e84f4e1a8404711771bd779c.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning!  @richwmnThanks for the Fleet, Daily and Cares reports!!    I will pass on the fudge, peanut butter fudge was never a favorite.  I will pass on the mole' enchiladas and again I will take my Basil Hayden neat.  We visited there several years ago driving down to Tampa to catch the Rotterdam.   I also visited Hartford Court in Sonoma many years ago.  I remember the winery was on a beautiful wooded back street.  They make good wines.  I haven't been to today's port and am looking forward to the photos.  @dfish thanks for the recipes and at least if they left 300 litter pails they must have kept the boxes tidy or you never would have bought the house.   @kazuJacqui I am glad you are safely home and your neighbors provisioned you with breakfast.  Sometimes lost suitcases on the way home isn't so bad other than the long wait to report them missing.   @rafinmdsafe travels back to the Auto Train.  Thanks for taking us along on the Eurodam.   Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.   Shout out to all on board ships and those about to board! 

I finished the last of the shoveling this morning.   All my shoveling clothes are in the washer now.   Ready for football for the rest of the afternoon, my Ravens game at one and DF's Vikings at 4:30.   We will get some thawing so I will resume visits to my DB tomorrow.   My DS visited my brother yesterday after she went to my cousin's memorial service that went forward despite the bad weather.  She said DB is looking more alert and said he is doing his PT.  🙏

A few pictures of our snow, glad that work is behind us.   Our snowy chiminea and the trail to feed the birds.  Nancy 

chiminea 112022.jpg

snowdeck112022.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Blessed Sunday to our fellow Daily-ites. As Lenda mentioned, it's darn cold here in Central Texas but rejoicing we are not in Buffalo. We are expecting rain til noon and warming to 44.

No on the fudge. Would like the enchiladas without the squash. Or squash without enchiladas..

I used to be a runner, now I'm just a fast walker. I'll have my Prince Charming give me a smooch.

image.png.6ff102153231f0f4cbc70e74bd78d5fb.png

Welcome home Roy and Jacqui. I was a bit concerned not hearing from Jacqui. Hope you both are healing from your foot injuries. 

image.png.eb50666219a02fb1f47390c4c79be0b9.png

image.png.9806038eaa828727db3abe3b0ba6b5d9.png

I'm going through our list of meds and filling up 6 weeks of containers for our cruise. Looks like 3 meds come up short so need to get those ordered. 

image.png.21835a66ba6ed3721a1154c8afd9604a.png

Taking a friend with us to brunch today. She's feeling lonely and sad. This time 2 year's ago her husband died of Covid. 

Prayers lifted, and sending cheers to our Daily friends.  Thankful for those who arrived home safely and for those embarking on their wonderful cruises.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Yesterday, DH's BP had one big drop, but he had been working hard on one of the machines.   Later, the BP was not as low, but still low for him.  He still managed to get in several PT sessions.  The therapists are working around the BP issue to keep him making progress.

Sounds like progress to me.  Let us hope it continues in that direction.

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@dfish  Debbie, how nice of the previous owners to leave you 300 kitty litter containers.  😉

Lenda

I was thinking the same thing.  I guess the cat was pretty upset with the inspector when he came through.  The house did have a slight cat pee odor, but our realtor had the carpets cleaned as a closing gift.  I don't smell it anymore.  Or maybe I'm nose blind to it now.  I'm just wondering why they didn't dispose of them on a regular basis.  

• Like 18

Good Sunday Morning!  My computer has a weather info spot.  When I signed in early to vote for F1 Driver of the day, it said Weather warning.  When I came back after the race, it said temps 37, now it says temps rise.  Is that a warning? or hope for the future?  oh, now it says 38. yup temps went up.  This is way too cold for November in the south.  It's like winter!  

And it keeps saying partly sunny.  I am sure the sun is shining somewhere, but the clouds have blocked it here for the last 24 hours.  

b5edc6de500e606d21b50c4a61c690fd.jpg

I am currently waiting for my boss to send me my schedule for next week.  Maybe I work tomorrow morning?  Maybe I just work tomorrow night?  This nap is calling me, but so is a trip to the store for cat food and jiffy corn bread.  DH is responsible for dinner tonight, but he is thinking about working.

@kazu and @rafinmd I hope that both of you heal quickly from your foot injuries.

ca1fdf57e34a5622233b4c998d2db1e0--are-you-ok-all-is-well.jpg

I think it is so delightful that the dailies get to meet each other on cruises!  I do hope I get to meet a dailyite on my May cruise. 14 days on the NA.

I have been trying not to read negative reviews on the HAL board.  My first cruise with HAL will be in May to Alaska.  But I can tell you a bit about cut backs on Carnival.  I got a letter from them two weeks ago telling me about some of the cut backs on our next cruise (October 2023).  Like no serve yourself ice cream or pizza 24/7.  Turns out that a lot of people get ice cream in the middle of the night, and then realize that they really don't want to eat it.  Same with people who show up at 3 a.m.. for pizza.  I bet alcohol has something to do with these food choices.

Yes you can order a second plate in the MDR, but it will be a half plate.  So if you order that second tiny lobster tail, you can get another second tiny lobster tail, but not with the veggies.  And if you want a third entre, they will charge you.  So order smartly the first time.  Heck that was the important info about food that I got.  But our steward told me on our last cruise, that he was the only steward in that section of the ship, they gave him more money, but no help.  He NEVER got a day off for 6 months, and when the ship was being retired, he was given a choice of where he wanted to go next, and he chose home.  So cut backs continue...I will not worry about the food during the middle of the night, I am not awake in the middle of the night.  And if I really want it, there is always room service.

Well F1 is now over for 2022, the weather spot on the screen shows now up to 39.  @StLouisCruisersenjoy whatever warmth you find on your cruise, cause it's cold back home!

th?id=OIP.DxKAgogbKyQR1Kbb2m6ldAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had a great visit with Dixie @summer slopebefore today’s M&G and met her DH. My own DH went up with me to meet them then he headed off to find his coffee fix. I enjoyed the chat with Dixie, then headed over to the hot, sunny side of the Crow’s Nest to mingle with the roll call. I actually got to meet a neighbor from my Sun City development.  We had to come all this way to do that!  

Well, our first night at dinner was not a good experience. The wait staff seemed overwhelmed with their duties. Perhaps they were new but we will try another section tonight and see if that works out better. Even though masks are mandatory a large segment of people are walking about without. There was a not so nice man and woman in line for dinner last night. When we pointed out the mask policy, especially important when someone is standing right behind you, he went into a rant about why did we even test for this cruise because no one asked to see proof of it , etc. I really wish the crew would point to their mask when running across the rule breakers!  If this ship has a large positive for Covid contingent it could affect our cruise immensely regarding our itinerary. Come on people!🤬

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I had a great visit with Dixie @summer slopebefore today’s M&G and met her DH. My own DH went up with me to meet them then he headed off to find his coffee fix. I enjoyed the chat with Dixie, then headed over to the hot, sunny side of the Crow’s Nest to mingle with the roll call. I actually got to meet a neighbor from my Sun City development.  We had to come all this way to do that!  

Well, our first night at dinner was not a good experience. The wait staff seemed overwhelmed with their duties. Perhaps they were new but we will try another section tonight and see if that works out better. Even though masks are mandatory a large segment of people are walking about without. There was a not so nice man and woman in line for dinner last night. When we pointed out the mask policy, especially important when someone is standing right behind you, he went into a rant about why did we even test for this cruise because no one asked to see proof of it , etc. I really wish the crew would point to their mask when running across the rule breakers!  If this ship has a large positive for Covid contingent it could affect our cruise immensely regarding our itinerary. Come on people!🤬

image.png.b94ccaeb31a42b0da43d1aec0e6aaa88.png

Sandi, note to self... pack the CRAZY PILLS! 🤪 

• Like 9
  • Haha 11

Good Sunday morning everyone from SE AZ. I have been away from the Daily for a while because I’ve been really ill. Turns out my cold/flu symptoms were sinusitis and bronchitis. I started on an antibiotic on Tuesday and finally am starting to feel a bit better. Boy, it really hit me hard and knocked me down.  

I hope everyone is well.  I’ll try to catch up with all the news I’ve missed. 

We finally have all the grocery shopping done for Thanksgiving. Craig did all running around and shopping. It seemed like a wild goose chase sometimes because stores would be out of different items, like thyme and Jimmy Dean sage sausage and pecans. Crazy. We are going super casual this year and using paper plates and eating outside. It’s supposed to be in the 70’s so that will be nice. I’m going to start cooking today, just a little bit each day to make it easy. 

I rarely eat fudge but I’ve had peanut butter fudge and it’s really good. Craig’s DM loved fudge and would always buy it if she saw a store selling it. IIRC, she also made her own. She had a huge sweet tooth. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21

Good morning all!

30 F this morning, I'm sure it got lower in the night.  I think this is our last sunny stretch for awhile, the rain is starting on Tuesday.

We had a nice time yesterday with the oldest grandson and he had a good time at his friend's birthday party too.  DD, DSIL and the boys are leaving today for a week at Whistler, Canada.  They go every year for Thanksgiving (strange to me, to celebrate an American holiday in Canada every year, but it has been their tradition since DSIL was small. His Mom is Canadian-born.  They use it as a skiing holiday.  We always miss them here, but it is what it is.  

This afternoon we'll go see the progress on DS and DDIL's house -- I'm excited to see all the changes!  They're trying to unpack what they need and yet keep things away from areas that are still being remodeled -- a challenge I'm sure.  In a few days they will get their new puppy too, so exciting times for them.

Welcome home everyone who is returning from a cruise!

Debbie @dfishI wondered the same thing, why didn't they just dispose of the containers as they were emptied??  (At first I thought you meant they were full LOL)!  I guess if they were you could use them for traction in the snow. 😉  

Sharon @Sharon in AZI'm so sorry to hear you've been so ill!  Feel better soon.

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 20

7 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good Sunday morning everyone from SE AZ. I have been away from the Daily for a while because I’ve been really ill. Turns out my cold/flu symptoms were sinusitis and bronchitis. I started on an antibiotic on Tuesday and finally am starting to feel a bit better. Boy, it really hit me hard and knocked me down.  

We finally have all the grocery shopping done for Thanksgiving. Craig did all running around and shopping. It seemed like a wild goose chase sometimes because stores would be out of different items, like thyme and Jimmy Dean sage sausage and pecans. Crazy. We are going super casual this year and using paper plates and eating outside. It’s supposed to be in the 70’s so that will be nice. I’m going to start cooking today, just a little bit each day to make it easy. 

I rarely eat fudge but I’ve had peanut butter fudge and it’s really good. Craig’s DM loved fudge and would always buy it if she saw a store selling it. IIRC, she also made her own. She had a huge sweet tooth. 

Sharon, I’m so sorry to hear your illness worsened and hope you’re feeling good by Thanksgiving!  Good idea to get a head start on the cooking. I hope the chefs here have a plan on preparing me a slice of pumpkin pie with whipped topping!

• Like 13

Last night, five people were killed and 18 wounded in shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs.  

The gunfire came on the eve of Transgender Day of Remembrance, an annual observance on Nov. 20 to commemorate the transgender people who have lost their lives because of anti-transgender violence.

In the words of Health & Human Services Secretary, Xavier Becerra: “Violence or discrimination of any type against a person because of who they are is wrong and inhumane. This Transgender Day of Remembrance, I call on my fellow Americans to stand up against hate and take a moment to honor the lives of those transgender and gender-diverse Americans lost due to hate and senseless violence.” 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 11

13 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Last night, five people were killed and 18 wounded in shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs.  

The gunfire came on the eve of Transgender Day of Remembrance, an annual observance on Nov. 20 to commemorate the transgender people who have lost their lives because of anti-transgender violence.

In the words of Health & Human Services Secretary, Xavier Becerra: “Violence or discrimination of any type against a person because of who they are is wrong and inhumane. This Transgender Day of Remembrance, I call on my fellow Americans to stand up against hate and take a moment to honor the lives of those transgender and gender-diverse Americans lost due to hate and senseless violence.” 

Such horrific news, Tina 😔. I so agree with Becerra ♥️ 

31 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

So sorry to hear this 😢 I hope you are feeling 100% very soon 🙏🏻 

• Like 15

Good morning all. Cold here but supposed to get up into the 40's by afternoon. It was 17F when I walked the dogs the first time. It may even make it into the low 50's by the end of next week.

Terrible news from Colorado Springs. It can happen anywhere these days..... and tolerance does not seem to be a human virtue.

I need to do a bit more shopping for next week.... will either head out later this afternoon, or very early tomorrow morning. Just don't feel like it at this time.

Hope everyone gets home safely from their travels and those that are traveling, have a great time with minimal issues. I try very hard not to travel on holidays.... just more than I feel comfortable with. The dogs and I are planning a quiet Thanksgiving at home. I brought a turkey breast although I may save it for the weekend. My sister will have her daughter and one son over for a quiet dinner at her house. Their big family get together will be at Christmas. I will celebrate in Durango and visit by Zoom.

Susan

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, summer slope said:

Basil Haydens Golden Hour cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Basil Hayden's® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
3/4 part Lillet Blanc
3/4 part Aperol® Aperitif
Garnish: Grapefruit Peel

Instructions
Combine ingredients over ice in a mixing glass and stir until well chilled. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass over a large ice cube. Garnish with a grapefruit peel.

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 6.41.00 AM.png

Sounds good.  Never heard of this one before.

• Like 7

Good morning again.  DH's BP didn't drop after his morning PT.  We're beginning to think one of the heavy duty pain meds may be causing some if not all of the dizziness.  We talked about it, and hopefully he can get by without taking it unless absolutely, positively necessary.  They are allowing him to use Aspercreme, and that seems help ease the pain to tolerable levels.

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Interestingly we booked the two weeks with one booking number.  Each week we received two 5* dinners in the Tamarind.  I did not complain about that mistake. 

Last year, they made some very favorable mistakes in our favor.  Those I didn't complain about. I felt it was compensation for spending so much time in line at Guest Services trying to straighten out charges for the free or half prices dinners we get.  If the ship and land based accounting can't agree, who am I to do their job for them.  We used the extra obc for gettimg some nice things in the shops.

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning from Cayucos Beach, California. We had a beautiful drive down through Big Sur and Pacific Coast Highway. The house the kids rented is beautiful with lovely views and perfect setting for gorgeous sunsets.
Today’s agenda is wine tasting at two vineyards along with lunch. Most meals will be out as we didn’t bring a lot of cooking supplies with us. Four adults and a toddler in a Tesla was pretty tight quarters for riding!

Thanks for the reports and post.

image.thumb.jpeg.c1ab4f63151274b050fab123fcd5b0c6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ceb27325dfa0940aca9b431288869698.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a00679360c5ad509cd35ecb48fcc2a16.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1402ba26fa2c41f2dbf6be21867fbc30.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fe93af45e84f4e1a8404711771bd779c.jpeg

Bruce,  thanks for the pictures.  Looks like a lovely place to spend some time.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Blessed Sunday to our fellow Daily-ites. As Lenda mentioned, it's darn cold here in Central Texas but rejoicing we are not in Buffalo. We are expecting rain til noon and warming to 44.

No on the fudge. Would like the enchiladas without the squash. Or squash without enchiladas..

I used to be a runner, now I'm just a fast walker. I'll have my Prince Charming give me a smooch.

image.png.6ff102153231f0f4cbc70e74bd78d5fb.png

Welcome home Roy and Jacqui. I was a bit concerned not hearing from Jacqui. Hope you both are healing from your foot injuries. 

image.png.eb50666219a02fb1f47390c4c79be0b9.png

image.png.9806038eaa828727db3abe3b0ba6b5d9.png

I'm going through our list of meds and filling up 6 weeks of containers for our cruise. Looks like 3 meds come up short so need to get those ordered. 

image.png.21835a66ba6ed3721a1154c8afd9604a.png

Taking a friend with us to brunch today. She's feeling lonely and sad. This time 2 year's ago her husband died of Covid. 

Prayers lifted, and sending cheers to our Daily friends.  Thankful for those who arrived home safely and for those embarking on their wonderful cruises.

Dr. Joy, could you prescribe some of the crazy pills for me. 😁  Your rain is heading this way.  It may make it to Waco before I head home.  Our rain at home is supposed (emphasis on supposed) to be overnight.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, it always seems on the first night of a cruise, dinner in the MDR does not go smoothly.  I think it is a combination of new crew and new passengers.  Usually, by the second night things are better.  On Koningsdam last spring, our wonderful waiter was a dud the first night.  I was glad we gave him a second chance.  He took such good care of us for four weeks, then left the day we left.

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sharon, I'm sorry you have been ill, but glad you are improving.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Sounds like progress to me.  Let us hope it continues in that direction.

I was thinking the same thing.  I guess the cat was pretty upset with the inspector when he came through.  The house did have a slight cat pee odor, but our realtor had the carpets cleaned as a closing gift.  I don't smell it anymore.  Or maybe I'm nose blind to it now.  I'm just wondering why they didn't dispose of them on a regular basis.  

Debbie,  like Carolyn @Cruising-along, I wondered if they were hoarding the kitty litter or saving for the driveway.  Great minds. 😉

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

30 F this morning, I'm sure it got lower in the night.  I think this is our last sunny stretch for awhile, the rain is starting on Tuesday.

We had a nice time yesterday with the oldest grandson and he had a good time at his friend's birthday party too.  DD, DSIL and the boys are leaving today for a week at Whistler, Canada.  They go every year for Thanksgiving (strange to me, to celebrate an American holiday in Canada every year, but it has been their tradition since DSIL was small. His Mom is Canadian-born.  They use it as a skiing holiday.  We always miss them here, but it is what it is.  

This afternoon we'll go see the progress on DS and DDIL's house -- I'm excited to see all the changes!  They're trying to unpack what they need and yet keep things away from areas that are still being remodeled -- a challenge I'm sure.  In a few days they will get their new puppy too, so exciting times for them.

Welcome home everyone who is returning from a cruise!

Debbie @dfishI wondered the same thing, why didn't they just dispose of the containers as they were emptied??  (At first I thought you meant they were full LOL)!  I guess if they were you could use them for traction in the snow. 😉  

Carolyn, I'm glad you had a good time with your grandson yesterday.  Looking forward to a report on the remodeling.  I bet the "new", new home is spectacular.

48 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Tina, I read about that horrific shooting, just before Transgender Remembrance Day.  There has to be a way to stop all these mass shootings.  In my opinion, if you don't agree with someone, a lifestyle, or someone's beliefs or politics, just stay away from those you don't agree with.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, 

It's a cold morning again here in the Pacific Northwest. I'm just south of Bellingham and north of Mount Vernon to give you an idea. It was a lovely sunrise and pretty red - rain is on the way by Tuesday. 

DH had a quiet day yesterday and was in bed when I got there and stayed that way. He was alert and chatty until mid-afternoon and then started tuckering out. I figured this was happening as he'd done so much on Friday. He had no therapies yesterday. I did bring him his strawberry milkshake and he wasn't about to let anyone get near it! 

This morning is a lazy morning for me. I'm still in cozy pj's and fuzzy socks but will shower and get moving soon. I need this kind of morning every once in a while. I've made chocolate chip cookies and addressed the Thanksgiving cards so now need to address and stamp them for the mail tomorrow. I've even got some laundry going - I'm fluffing the bed pillows and washing sheets. It doesn't seem such an onerous task in fuzzy socks! 

Karen

• Like 17

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'm not a fudge person, it's too sweet. Transgender persons often have a hard path. So sad about the shooting in Colorado Springs. No runner friends around to hug. Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal and drink and yes to the wine.

I've been to New Zealand, but not Gisborne.

It was 19F when I woke up, now up to 26. And quite windy. It'll be cold for folks attending the Steelers game. I got more packing done this AM. Almost complete. My eye is better today and the stomach has been feeling a bit better.

@kazu Welcome home! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your cruise. Sorry about the lost luggage, and nice of the neighbors to pick up a few groceries for you. How's the foot?

@Crazy For Cats Safe trip home.

@Cruzin Terri Safe travels tomorrow and hopefully good reports. Sorry the apartment you're staying in isn't nice.

@dfish Wow, can't believe the previous owners left that. 

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the NS photo. So great that you got to meet Dixie @summer slope and her DH! 

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'm glad DH is able to get therapy, despite the BP issues. 

@aliaschief Nice house and gorgeous sunsets. Enjoy the family time.

@ottahand7 Too much snow, lol. I'm glad DB is doing ok. 

@Seasick Sailor Nice of you to take your friend to brunch during this difficult time for her.

@marshhawk I had that same weather warning; weird.

@Sharon in AZ Sorry to hear you were ill with sinusitis and bronchitis. Good that you are starting to feel better. Take care.

@Cruising-along I'm sure it's exciting to get to see DS and DDIL's house after the renovations!

@luvteaching It does sound like DH was tuckered out. Hopefully he's rested for the coming week's treatments.

@grapau27 I'm sure you're enjoying yourselves.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

30 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

@Cruising-along I have noticed that Niagara Falls, Ontario is always  full of American tourists on American holidays.  Lots of American license plates  spotted on the highways near us as well.  July 4th is always a very busy day here. 

I'm sure you have.  Of course DSIL's parents have a reason, she's Canadian-born and they have a Time Share at Whistler so have always used it the week of the US Thanksgiving.  The kids love the skiing, so I can't say much, although our family here misses them every Thanksgiving.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserthat's great news that your DH's bp didn't drop this morning.  I really think you're onto something about the heavy-duty pain meds.  Funny that you and I thought the same thing about that kitty litter.  🤣

Karen @luvteachingI know exactly where Sedro Woolley is, my niece lived there for several years.  I don't know if you're familiar with the "Woolley Mammoth" but they owned it for a few years and did extensive remodeling on it.

Vanessa @JazzyVI'm glad your eye is feeling better and your tummy a bit better too.  You need to feel well for that cruise. 🙂  

• Like 14