Menu Changes?

atlantabri2

Just curious if anyone knows if Celebrity will follow parent Royal Caribbean's lead and get rid of the classics menu.  I have always believed the food offerings on Celebrity were one of the distinguishing features making it my preferred choice.  I know that times have been tough and costs are important to recovery, but cutting one of the primary products (along with service levels) seems short sighted to me.  Can one time a day cabin service be far away?  Charging more for less in tough economic times is a hard way to sell yourself as a higher end product.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

This was the subject of a recent thread, specifically about the NY strip disappearing from the classic menu.  I believe the upshot is the steak is still there, but not every night.  Chicken and salmon still there.  We last sailed in April (Going again in 10 days) and had no issues getting anything from classic we desired.  Others with more recent experience I'll sure will chime in.

As someone who is the opposite end of a foodie, I am always going to order from the classic menu (unless I go to the OV).  I usually alternate between the steak and chicken.  Fortunately, I love chicken in case the steak is not offered. 

42 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

The creme brulee is gone from the dessert menu (at least on Apex). ☹️

My 12 yo will NOT be happy.  He was just telling me this is one of the things he is looking forward to on our cruise next week.

Mike

• Like 1

No creme brûlée on the Edge in November … until one night at Normandie, I heard someone beside me ask for it.  Waiter said of course.  When time for our dessert I asked and the answer was of course.  Had it again a few nights later.  Strange.  

7 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

No creme brûlée on the Edge in November … until one night at Normandie, I heard someone beside me ask for it.  Waiter said of course.  When time for our dessert I asked and the answer was of course.  Had it again a few nights later.  Strange.  

I was on Edge Oct/Nov and had creme brulee 5 or 6 times, it was delish.

2 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

The AA steak is still there; my DH had it the other night. The escargots are still there, too.

We had it last week on the Solstice.

3 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

The AA steak is still there; my DH had it the other night. The escargots are still there, too.

Creme Brulee still on the Classics MDR on Solstice

• Like 1

We were on the Apex in May and we were eating supper in one of the four main dining rooms (can’t remember which one) and I asked the server if I could have a creme brulee  as it wasn’t on the menu and it has always been my goto dessert on Celebrity. The server said sure no problem and he brought me one from one meant for one of the other restaurants on the ship somewhere. 

• Like 1

I am able to shed some light on how ships are stocked.

Having someone who works for one of the companies in the family has taught me a lot.

The Ship has to submit their food order 88 days before sailing date.
So this is a complete guess in some cases on what the passenger makeup will be but is based on past cruises on how many items used.

The 88 days is needed to make sure the supply chain can provide the items and shipped to the ship. In many cases right now this even isn't enough time.
What you are likely unaware of is cruises not out of North America has the majority of it's supplies shipped via container to a port. This takes time to pack the container and then put it on a ship to arrive in time at the port for the ship. How do you think US wine, USDA Beef etc. gets to the ship in far off places. Some cruise lines when in Europe change to a mainly European Wine list while other don't.

In North America right now we have "Bird" flu going through farms. This causes complete farms to be culled. This also creates a problem where some country's won't allow poultry products into their ports. This includes eggs. Have you noticed the shortage of Turkeys?
In North America there is a shortage of vegetables. I am sure we have all noticed that trying to buy things like lettuce is not only a problem but expensive. Think on a large scale of trying to buy lettuce for a ship. Remember it just isn't the ship you are going to go but all ships in the port the day you sail that are trying to get the exact same items. 

Pork is another one right now that is having a problem because of what California is trying to do to pork producers.

Beef production is down this year due to feed costs.

What we are seeing I think is the cruise lines trying to do what they need to do so they have enough food onboard and designing menus around what they can get.
Just think how much we pay as consumers for food now compared to a year or two ago.

Just some things to think about why cruise lines change things we are not happy about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1