Is CBD allowed on ships?

abhb

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

It is?  Which excursion?  I believe you but am surprised and curious.

CBD oil is not sold on excursions sold by the cruise line.  CBD oil can be found in some of the stores in ports and you can buy it.  Might as well say they sell illegal drugs too as those have been offered to us on shopping excursions in the past too.  That was a very misleading statement that was made.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Based on discussions with many 'seasoned' cruisers, gummies are quite common onboard.

Very popular in the humongous 55+ community south of us

I guess it gives a new meaning to the song Candy Shop. 

On the same note, some guests might be disappointed in the gummy selections at Sugar Beach on some Oasis Class ships. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, njkruzer said:

There's another question you should ask.  Can you bring it into Barbados? Also will TSA let you fly with it .  I don't have the answerss, just the questions.

I wouldn't risk it. Way less problems on a ship out of Florida 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Not allowed.  Of course percocet, oxycotin, anti anxiety meds, and other poisons are allowed on as long as your name is on the side.  

Poisons? Seriously? Had to get an import license to bring those to Singapore. Just a formality.

11 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No such thing as a prescription for CBD oil, there is only one prescription CBD product, Epidiolex; it is for seizures. Hemp derived CBD is not regulated by the FDA.

My dog is on Endoblend CBD drops.  We use it for extreme anxiety.  I needed a prescription for it.  Since he doesn't travel with us, I have no need to worry about TSA.  I have no idea about humans.  I have seen suitcases gone through in Cancun and Cozumel and people getting pulled aside for vape pens and other items.  My point was these are other countries, not the US, and other rules.  And sometimes the security or customs at other countries airports can be overly assertive of rules as they can in the US with TSA.  So I'd make sure if carrying anything in that could be suspect, make sure to get some sort of prescription.  And if I couldn't get it, I'd go to plan B.

16 hours ago, jean87510 said:

After Brittany Griner, there is no way I'd bring anything remotely suspect to a foreign country.  I sympathize with the situation but would try an alternative if possible.  

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I wouldn't risk it. Way less problems on a ship out of Florida 

This.

Maybe it is legal in this situation. Maybe the percentages and amounts are legal. But crossing  international boarders is a unique situation. You are putting your fate in the hands of overworked and underpaid boarder agents who have power over you. Maybe they know the law perfectly and let you through. Maybe they don't. Maybe they think they can manipulate the situation to extract a bribe out of you. It's not worth it.

• Like 1

Can you bring a pocket knife or scissors onboard? They're legal in USA.

Can you bring a non-surge extension cord onboard? No laws bar possession of one.

The answer is NO - Despite these items being legal to possess in USA, the cruise lines ban them. Knives and Scissors can pose a security threat, while extension cords pose a safety hazard.

You can debate all day long about the appropriateness of these policies, but the fact remains the same, and that is the cruise line has the right to ban these products from their ships.

CBD oil falls into similar policies. It's legal status is irrelevant to the conversation. Even though CBD isn't a security or safety threat, the current cruise policy says "no no" - so the answer is "No".

If you don't like policies, your best bet is to petition the business who published the policy...in this case Royal Caribbean.

So many times we humans try to interpret rules and laws based on our emotions. I am one of them who thinks several of these policies are nonsense; but here we are with them anyway.

Now, can you sneak a tincture or roll-on aboard? I'm sure you could. Gummies are just little pieces of unbranded squares you could put in a ziplock bag and store in your toiletries bag. The chances of getting caught are slim. I don't use CBD oil, but I do bring a non-surge extension cord and play the game of seeing if it makes it on board or not!

The valuable lesson/rule - don't take CBD oil, THC products, or any illicit drugs ashore at any foreign port! This is why the policies exist to prevent accidental problems with it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you use CBD products (not medical marijuana) and you have them in your carryon in your toiletries bag or other container, don't leave them out in the open in your cabin and don't carry them on shore in ports of call, you'll most likely be ok to have them with you for your individual use.  

Making a big deal out of it, putting it into your check luggage, and openly using in ports of call, could land you in trouble.

Stuff isn't cheap and efficacy for many ailments isn't yet proven.

22 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

CBD oil is not sold on excursions sold by the cruise line.  CBD oil can be found in some of the stores in ports and you can buy it.  Might as well say they sell illegal drugs too as those have been offered to us on shopping excursions in the past too.  That was a very misleading statement that was made.

This IS cruise critic so.......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

A CBD cream or roll on will not be flagged on the ships x-ray scanners if it's just packed it your toiletries bag in your suitcase, so I wouldn't worry about it.

1 hour ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

Furthermore, if it's a cream or oil, put it in a clear container, which is perfectly legal and will not be questioned, and go about your day. No one opened and inspected my myriad clear plastic bottles full of lotion, shampoo, and conditioner.

So, you are promoting drug smuggling and telling the OP to blatantly ignore the cruise line's prohibited items list?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So, you are promoting drug smuggling and telling the OP to blatantly ignore the cruise line's prohibited items list?

if CBD had any actual drugs in it, then no. I had my CBD lotion with me in September. I did not read the list of prohibited items, so I packed it, in its original tube, and it sat on the bathroom counter the entire cruise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

A CBD cream or roll on will not be flagged on the ships x-ray scanners if it's just packed it your toiletries bag in your suitcase, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Some people believe they are better than others, or rules don't apply to them.  It's a problem we see nationwide / worldwide.  The "ME!" attitude.