The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday December 17th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Canadian Maple Syrup Day, National Ugly Sweater Day, and Wright Brother's Day

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegetarian Chili Macaroni
Drink of the Day - Sqrrl Pb Manhattan
Wine of the Day - Villa Guelpa 2018 Lessona Piedmont
Destination of the Day - Guam (US Territory), Guam

Eurodam

Panama Canal - Colon, Panama 05:00 - 05:00

Koningsdam

San Diego, California 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 12/18

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Montevideo, Uruguay eta 12/18

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana eta 12/18

Volendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 08:00 - 23:00

Zuiderdam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 08:00 - 15:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Fiordland National Park, New Zealand eta 12/20

Westerdam

Napier, New Zealand 7:00 AM To 2:00 PM

1217World.thumb.png.ee58de44f1764d88fec8c4b271f44d8b.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Good morning. Safely back in Ft. Lauderdale...now the short drive home.

Sqrrl Pb Manhattan cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part SQRRL® Peanut Butter Whiskey
1 part Knob Creek® Straight Rye Whiskey
1 part Sweet Vermouth
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
Garnish: Maraschino Cherries

Instructions
Combine ingredients into a mixing glass with ice. Stir until well chilled and strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube. Garnish with maraschino cherries.

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 6.38.29 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Well, we are back in PE on the NS. No sunrise photo cause there are too many clouds. Head home in a couple of hours. Another great cruise on HAL!

As far as today’s day to celebrate; Wright Brother’s Day.

There is this story that one Friday nite the Wright Brothers went to a local bar in town, got drunk and tried to pick up a lady named Suzy Wong. She refused their advances and with a smile on her face said, “Two Wrights don’t make a Wong” 😀

• Like 4
  • Haha 16

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Maple syrup with pancakes or French toast is a wonderful thing.  I’m planning on running errands this morning, the most important is a run to the bread outlet, $1.09 a loaf.  I don’t want to visit stores next week if at all possible, too many people.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.ff7e354a71840dcd425676383b909ce4.png

• Like 15
  • Haha 11

Good afternoon.

It is currently 27°F at 12 noon.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

I have never used maple syrup.

I never wear ugly sweaters but good luck to those who do.

Interesting quote today.

I will pass on today's food and drink.

We have never been to today's port so I am looking forward to seeing photos.

I hope everyone on the care list get better quickly.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.

Graham.

• Like 20

Thank you for the Saturday report, Rich.  One of my (late) cousins had a thriving maple syrup business for many years.  Ugly or not, sweaters will be a good idea this coming week.  I wonder if the Wright Brothers ever realized the impact they would have on the world.  I love the quote but have not been to Guam.  The meal sounds interesting but I am not a fan of chili.  My alternative is Sliced Orange and Watermelon Salsa, Filet of Beef Brioche, and Dutch Apple Cake as served on MS Prinsendam December 17, 2013.

Today’s care list:

FF Zachary Paris and Marvin Gruber, Schuylkill County Pa. laid to rest after LODD 12/7
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
StLouisCruisers DD recovering from foot surgery
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Ottahand7 DH in rehab(coming home soon)
Smitty34877 waiting for hip replacement 12/19
*MissG* struggling with devastating family health situation

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam and

vd1217.thumb.JPG.253e698b0aef78e5af8ac011b00a413a.JPG
Nieuw Statendam

ns1217.thumb.JPG.841777d69d6b228d011de4ab6996c9a2.JPG

Monday hip replacement for smitty34877almost certain
5 days for richwmn {Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23)
Bon Voyage indaler (Volendam 12/17 to 3/18/23)
Bon Voyage Kaz to u (Koningsdam 12/17 to 1/7/23_
Welcome Home RedbeckBob,  StLouisCruisers & Summer Slope
SusieKIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/22) and Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

It snowed all night, I heard the street plows around 4am and the sidewalk plow at 5:30.  We'll have to get the snowblower  out to clear the driveway even though we don't have anyplace to go.  I got a few groceries yesterday.  I may have to run out next week to get some fresh milk but I hope to be able to stay out of stores.

I love maple syrup, we have friends who tap a few trees on their property and make maple syrup and we're lucky when they give us a bottle.  A big thank you to the Wright Brothers.  I don't think I have any ugly sweaters, but others may disagree with my style.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good.  I'll pass on the drink and hope the wine isn't too expensive.

I've never been to today's port.

Welcome back @RedneckBobGlad you enjoyed your cruise.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday report, Rich.  One of my (late) cousins had a thriving maple syrup business for many years.  Ugly or not, sweaters will be a good idea this coming week.  I wonder if the Wright Brothers ever realized the impact they would have on the world.  I love the quote but have not been to Guam.  The meal sounds interesting but I am not a fan of chili.  My alternative is Sliced Orange and Watermelon Salsa, Filet of Beef Brioche, and Dutch Apple Cake as served on MS Prinsendam December 17, 2013.

Today’s care list:

FF Zachary Paris and Marvin Gruber, Schuylkill County Pa. laid to rest after LODD 12/7
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
StLouisCruisers DD recovering from foot surgery
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Ottahand7 DH in rehab(coming home soon)
Smitty34877 waiting for hip replacement 12/19
*MissG* struggling with devastating family health situation

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam and

vd1217.thumb.JPG.253e698b0aef78e5af8ac011b00a413a.JPG
Nieuw Statendam

ns1217.thumb.JPG.841777d69d6b228d011de4ab6996c9a2.JPG

Monday hip replacement for smitty34877almost certain
5 days for richwmn {Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23)
Bon Voyage indaler (Volendam 12/17 to 3/18/23)
Bon Voyage Kaz to u (Koningsdam 12/17 to 1/7/23_
Welcome Home RedbeckBob,  StLouisCruisers & Summer Slope
SusieKIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/22) and Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's updated lists Roy.

Nice to see the care list shrinking and the celebrations list expanding.

Graham.

• Like 16

Good morning Daily-ites.

Day 7 Rotterdam

Yesterday I had a nice long walk in Aruba and shopped on the way back. (Score!)

I played Mahjongg for a bit then read my book. We went to afternoon trivia and got hammered. 3 teams had perfect scores and went into playoff.

Had a lovely dinner in Tamarind. I had crispy duck, Allen lamb chops.

Afterward we had a nightcap in Rolling Stones and I give the band a solid 7.

Today is a sea day. On Deck for a Cause is at 9 to support Ukrainian refuges. Ask the Captain at 11.

Lunch, trivia, Mahjongg, reading. A perfect day!

It's dressy night, we're in MDR.

Tonight's trivia is "Holland America Line" Sure wish @Copper10-8 were in our team!

Really like our cabin. There's a little quirk: when I turn on the water tap at the sink it sounds like someone knocking at our door. Well, this morning while brushing my teeth I ignored the knocking until I realized it was room service.

Prayers lifted for all on our care and prayer list. Sending all our Daily family blessings.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good cold morning. The long range forecast is for possible snow for Santa. 
   It’s been a busy week. The car displayed a message last weekend that the eyesight( cruise control, lane departure, etc) was off. Ended up going to dealership on Monday and ge

tting a loaner till they could work on it . Turns out the gas cap wasn’t on tightly and this affects the computer, even though it was a couple of days since gas was pumped.

Also had 2 routine Vet appointments for Ninja and Trouble. This week is Houdini turn. The 2 new members are awaiting their turns. Tux is a lap guy and loud purrs TT likes to play with a ball. 
      Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

1F1A9409-1ED4-48B5-97A0-EE9B333126B9.jpeg

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. A nippy 41 here this morning. I consider myself to be in training for my trip to New England next week. Not only will it be cold, but there is a chance of a bad storm the day after I arrive.  

Roy thank you for keeping track of our cares & celebrations!  Lots of chores and prepping for the trip up North for me today. And Bindi walks. 

My fellow animal lovers have been posting lots of memes with the same theme…

0F74D242-8A20-4A5F-87D9-B11F1FD8B27A.jpeg.14d62b1c1241c7468f86a0c750c70062.jpeg

75283F48-F025-4238-87E3-A44EBA5CE4F3.jpeg.b575104dcac442b76352a317b6b0e898.jpeg

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. @smitty34877 Terry, praying that Monday's a go and that all goes smoothly & your recovery is swift. 

Get well and stay well everyone!

Villa Guelpa 2018 Lessona Piedmont

Another elusive wine, unless you live in or visit Italy. This wine sounds lovely. Superb ratings and I did find one online distributor offering it for $53.15 + shipping. 
Distributor Notes

Villa Guelpa’s vineyards cover the whole Alto Piemonte area, from the alluvial pebbles of the hills of Salussola and Dorzano near the lake of Viverone, the sands of Mottalciata, the ancient ones of Lessona, the volcanic porphyries of Bramaterra and back to the recent alluvial soils with sandy texture of Sizzano.

All of the sites come together under the house of Villa Guelpa with its historic cellar in Lessona. Villa Guelpa ferments and ages their wines in cement tanks with the exception of aged reds that are elevated in traditional Slavonian oak barrels. 

96 Wine Enthusiast

“Lessona wines abound with elegance, thanks to mineral-rich yellow sand and vineyard altitudes that range between 722 and 1,181 feet above sea level. They offer bouquets of roses and red woodland berries that follow over to the palate, along with a pronounced mineral vein. Lessona wines have an almost ethereal character, but noble tannins and vibrant acidity impart serious aging potential.”

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning. Safely back in Ft. Lauderdale...now the short drive home.

Sqrrl Pb Manhattan cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part SQRRL® Peanut Butter Whiskey
1 part Knob Creek® Straight Rye Whiskey
1 part Sweet Vermouth
2 dashes Angostura® Bitters
Garnish: Maraschino Cherries

Instructions
Combine ingredients into a mixing glass with ice. Stir until well chilled and strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube. Garnish with maraschino cherries.

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 6.38.29 AM.png

Welcome home Dixie & George! Safe travels.

Thank you for posting the drink du jour every day - even while cruising. 

• Like 22

Good morning! For us Floridians it’s a wee cold this morning at 40 degrees. Having grown up in Vermont the famous debate is always who has the best maple syrup? With fond memories of going to sugar on snow parties. Whether Canadian or Vermont syrup you can’t beat the real syrup.
Flew into Guam one time for an hour. Refueled and left.

Today is my last day of antibiotics and I feel I’m back to being my ornery old self.

Thanks for the report and postings.

image.jpeg.c0a696440543e8075ff2b2934fcc185f.jpegimage.jpeg.36e623464b5a9bbc7e2214daf988859d.jpegimage.jpeg.24919f12563701bc78688362d9903593.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Haha 15

Good morning to all. It is chilly here but the sun is out at last. I love maple syrup and salute the Wright brothers. I hope my sweaters are not ugly. We have not been to the port and await meal descriptions.

By three pm yesterday I was declared safe for surgery. The hematologist was so wonderful to fit me in to his busy schedule but I had seen him for many years and was not a new patient. They actually took a total of ten small vials of blood to test,making that the third time this week the vampires got me! I had confirmation of the time to arrive at Columbia Presbyterian on Monday with lots of pre surgical instructions by 5 pm.

I can’t tell you how relieved I am to be able to get this problem fixed. The advances in surgical procedures will enable me to get back home Monday night. Wow. 
Welcome home to   @RedneckBob and  @summer slope !

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Daily Report.  Although we had a lot of rain a few days ago and many watches and warning from the weather reporters, we haven't had a single flake of snow.  

@grapau27 what do you put on pancakes and crepes and French toast?  My ex (who has British parents) always put HP sauce on his along with tomatoes.  He would put Canadian Maple syrup on vanilla ice cream. (Until we discovered Ice wine.)

• Like 20

Good morning, everyone!

We got a light dusting of snow last night.  Nothing to cause any problems, just to make everything white.  I do have to run to the grocery today to get a vegetable for tonight's dinner.  We're having one of Muzzy's Marvelous Meals:  Meatloaf Magnifique.  The recipe is my mom's, the description is dad's.  

@smitty34877 I'm happy you are getting the hip taken care of so quickly and that you will be able to come home so quickly.  Just don't over do things!  Let everyone wait on you for a while.  

Today's meal is another comfort meal and would be a perfect one for a snowy day.  Carnivores only need to add some ground beef.  We'll start off with this one from Budget Bytes.  Who isn't thinking of the budget when they hit the grocery store these days?   https://www.budgetbytes.com/cheesy-vegetarian-chili-mac/

1932065230_vegetarianchilimac1.thumb.jpg.435fc3be2252999030946bf05bdce7fc.jpg

This next one looks good with the green onion garnish.  It comes with directions on how to make it vegan.   https://kristineskitchenblog.com/one-pot-vegetarian-chili-mac/

1513533509_vegetarianchilimac2.thumb.jpg.9156f81574751dc541030c39d122d635.jpg

And we have this last option.  Most of the recipes are very similar and, as you all know, chili is a meal that can be individualized easily.  So, take the idea of chili mac and make it yours!   https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/vegetarian-chili-mac/

792614252_vegetarianchilimac3.thumb.jpg.4bbe6e840602427b66bea4454e06b877.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I enjoy maple syrup on pancakes with peanut butter; the pb cuts the sweetness of the syrup.  A few Christmases ago we had an ugly Christmas sweater contest - it was hilarious.  Yay for the Wright Brothers, although flying was a lot more fun a few years ago.

Well the dreaded storm didn't really affect our province - some folks in he southeastern part got snow, but nothing like was predicted, thankfully.  Watching the news, however, it seems Mother Nature is leaving her calling cards all over parts of eastern Canada and the U.S..  If you're involved in this system, be careful - that snow can be heavy, and deadly if you're shoveling.

We had a lovely time yesterday afternoon visiting our friends; she made a charcuterie board out of cookies and chocolate - yum!  Before we left, she gave us a treat bag with an assortment of cookies, as well as a couple of bottles of my favourite Bath & Body Works soaps for my birthday.  Very thoughtful!

@smitty34877I'm so happy you've been cleared for surgery!

@kazu and @lindalerBon Voyage!!

I think I'd like to try today's menu suggestion, although it does sort of sound like Hamburger Helper.  LOL   I'm going through the fridge, trying to clear it out before we leave next week, so I think I'll end up making ham and vegetable omelettes for us to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

I saw this and it gave me a chuckle; I hope it does for you as well:

Dog.jpg.57afc4da876378c4f61e9687f2e8b30d.jpg

Prayers for all who are in need, cheers to everyone who has a celebration going on.  Be well, stay safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

33 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. It is chilly here but the sun is out at last. I love maple syrup and salute the Wright brothers. I hope my sweaters are not ugly. We have not been to the port and await meal descriptions.

By three pm yesterday I was declared safe for surgery. The hematologist was so wonderful to fit me in to his busy schedule but I had seen him for many years and was not a new patient. They actually took a total of ten small vials of blood to test,making that the third time this week the vampires got me! I had confirmation of the time to arrive at Columbia Presbyterian on Monday with lots of pre surgical instructions by 5 pm.

I can’t tell you how relieved I am to be able to get this problem fixed. The advances in surgical procedures will enable me to get back home Monday night. Wow. 
Welcome home to   @RedneckBob and  @summer slope !

Wonderful news, Terry! 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Welcome home Dixie @summer slopeand Sandi @StLouisCruisers!

Thanks for the Daily Reports.   I am leaving in a bit to go to my pre-cruise hair appointment.  I am allowing an hour to get there because we got about 3" of snow overnight.   Maybe stop in to see DB if the roads are decent.  My DS told me my DSIL and DB want to bring him home this weekend.  From what I saw on Wednesday that is pure folly.   Prayers for all on our Care List and for the people of Ukraine.  

@1ANGELCATThanks for sending the pic of your new little ones.   Ninja and Trouble are darling.  I got my cat fix yesterday when I went to pay my bill at the furnace company they had a very friendly office kitty.    

I will pass on the Mac & Chili, the Manhattan and the vino since it will be too hard to find. 

Scary stories for the people stranded in Macchu Picchu because of the political unrest throughout the country of Peru, they are running out of medicine.  They are supposed to be evacuated by helicopter.   At least it has happened and decisions can be made by HA prior to our arrival on January 12, hopefully things will settle down.  I am sure people on our ship will be heartbroken if they can't make a bucket list trip to MP.    I would be disappointed to not get two shore excursions in Lima and environs but it won't be too upsetting for us.  Antarctica and Patagonia are on our bucket list.   Have a wonderful Saturday!!!    Nancy 

• Like 19

25 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

Thank you for the Daily Report.  Although we had a lot of rain a few days ago and many watches and warning from the weather reporters, we haven't had a single flake of snow.  

@grapau27 what do you put on pancakes and crepes and French toast?  My ex (who has British parents) always put HP sauce on his along with tomatoes.  He would put Canadian Maple syrup on vanilla ice cream. (Until we discovered Ice wine.)

I never eat pancakes,crepes or French toast.

For regular toasted bread I put butter on.

When eating an Italian breakfast ciabatta bread I have mushrooms,pancetta and tomato ketchup.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  I love the quote.  And the three days to celebrate.  Guess I was early with the ugly Christmas sweater the other day, but I do love wearing them.  DH said last night, he only had one, I told we could stop at Ross on the way home and get him another.    That was a no.

1e6e1a09f1fc7c58fceda1e43046a724--ugly-christmas-sweater-ugly-sweater.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 17
  • Haha 10