"Sports shoes are not allowed." Please share your observations.

Taters

"I'd be tempted to go inside barefoot and see how that goes." 

It would go very well according to this article.  Read down about religious sites. HERE

Also, I read in another article about banned shoes in cathedrals.  It said that shoes carry dirt which means the cathedral floors will become dirty.  This makes it uncomfortable for those that prayer on their hands and knees.  It makes sense that a sport shoe would hold more dirt that could be distributed on the floors.  My sports shoes hold dirt, mulch, and even rocks.  I have to take them off, or clean them out, before entering my home or my hardwoods would be a mess.  My husband is not allowed to wear his soft cleat golf shoes inside the house after golf.

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

It would go very well according to this article.  Read down about religious sites. HERE

Also, I read in another article about banned shoes in cathedrals.  It said that shoes carry dirt which means the cathedral floors will become dirty.  This makes it uncomfortable for those that prayer on their hands and knees.  It makes sense that a sport shoe would hold more dirt that could be distributed on the floors.  My sports shoes hold dirt, mulch, and even rocks.  I have to take them off, or clean them out, before entering my home or my hardwoods would be a mess.  My husband is not allowed to wear his soft cleat golf shoes inside the house after golf.

On the other hand you could be denied admission.  We simply do no know which site or sites have the requirement, bad boy antics may deliver a vicarious thrill in discussion but may not go well in reality 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I've been on snorkel excursions where the owner of the boat required everyone to be barefoot on board to avoid damage from dirt/grit on the soles of shoes.

I would NOT be able to wear a dress shoe for very long but I would wear my walking shoes and then change into my dress shoes to observe the rules or customs.  I rarely allow any shoes in my house, so I do respect customs.  Most people are bringing a dress shoe with them on the cruise for dinners in the MDR.      

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm curious what is meant by "sport shoes".  Sneakers? Anything with a tread that could hold dirt? Flip flops?  Sandals? Shoes with cleats?

Just guessing from my background being educated  by very conservative Cuban Catholic nuns  - you need closed toe shoes.  

The other option is to mill about outside while the tour proceeds into the church.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Just guessing from my background being educated  by very conservative Cuban Catholic nuns  - you need closed toe shoes.  

The other option is to mill about outside while the tour proceeds into the church.  

I did a land based tour to Peru in August 2019. the weather was cool and rainy in Lima. In my pictures I see only people with closed in shoes and most appear to be running shoes. I am sure that was what I was wearing. I only take running shoes and sandals on my travels and I would not have been wearing sandals in that weather. We were given no advice about footwear but I would think closed in shoes are preferable. I have also been to the Cathedral of Leon and they had put a walkway around the edge of the roof so people could keep their shoes on.  As has been said, the concern there was to not damage the roof.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that Italians could tell Americans by their white tennis shoes.  So I wore black walking shoes in Italy.  I probably still looked American.  But black running/walking shoes would probably pass the "no sports shoes" rule. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Balliett said:

I read somewhere that Italians could tell Americans by their white tennis shoes.  So I wore black walking shoes in Italy.  I probably still looked American.  But black running/walking shoes would probably pass the "no sports shoes" rule. 

Yes - not only white shoes, but also cargo shorts for men, and leggings worn by women in public will definitely identify you as an American.

If I can't comply with rules and refulations of a particular attraction, I won't go. It's not my business why the rule is in place. Common sense and courtesy dictates that we follow the rules and I wouldn't fool around at home, so I definately not fool around in a foreign country. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 8:12 PM, Hlitner said:

Hmm.  What about cruisers who only pack a g-string?  Now they must pack more clothes?  I am also confused.

They could always go without. Though I’m not sure the practical difference.

• Haha 3

My guess is that if you wear conservative, all black tennis shoes, you'll be okay. Local Archdiocese rules (in my city in America) require black shoes for mass (to clarify for the priest and deacon celebrating mass). I have not read the actual rule, but I've seen everything from formal to all black tennis shoes. With vestments and all, kind of hard to see anyways. Laypeople don't have restrictions on shoes.

That being said, credit to OP for actually reading the rules of the excursion rather than showing up and getting bent for making assumptions.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 7:55 PM, ChinaShrek said:

What about people who only pack sneakers for cruises? Many people advise bringing only a carry-on and pack light for cruises. Now they must also pack other footwear? Perhaps several pairs? I'm confused.

Are you serious - you booked a tour with restrictions - your choice - don't go if you can't/won't bring what you need for a tour -   I'm kayaking, need water shoes - shall I complain about thtat>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am reminded of one of my favorite David Sedaris quotes:  "Comfort has its place, but it seems rude to visit another country dressed as if you've come to mow its lawns."

Love the quote. My mom used to say one looked like they had “ just dropped their hoe.”

This makes me wonder if the pax who wore a kakhi fishing vest on gala night on Zuidie was actually the fish monger.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Balliett said:

I'm Dutch and the thing about white sneakers is absolutely true. I love people from the US, but I cringe at every topic where they fume about proper attire. I just can't understand the energy some Americans spend on fighting their "right" to wear tanktops, shorts and flipflops on formal night, to exaggerate a little. Underdressing would make you uncomfortable, wouldn't it? If you have the money to go on a cruise you'll probably have the money too to buy something decent. And wearing those will be awarded with at least more smiles. Bracing myself for the reactions, but so be it. Dutch are blunt, here's the proof 😉

Edited by MO7
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, esimon said:

Are you serious - you booked a tour with restrictions - your choice - don't go if you can't/won't bring what you need for a tour -   I'm kayaking, need water shoes - shall I complain about thtat>

TBH, you're right about the tour restrictions and it isn't about that at all. 

Edited by ChinaShrek

49 minutes ago, MO7 said:

I'm Dutch and the thing about white sneakers is absolutely true. I love people from the US, but I cringe at every topic where they fume about proper attire. I just can't understand the energy some Americans spend on fighting their "right" to wear tanktops, shorts and flipflops on formal night, to exaggerate a little. Underdressing would make you uncomfortable, wouldn't it? If you have the money to go on a cruise you'll probably have the money too to buy something decent. And wearing those will be awarded with at least more smiles. Bracing myself for the reactions, but so be it. Dutch are blunt, here's the proof 😉

MO7 -it is not just the Dutch. The French and Italians feel the same way and are just as blunt. I allowed to say that - I have family in both Italy and France.

Edited by RD64

1 hour ago, MO7 said:

I just can't understand the energy some Americans spend on fighting their "right" to wear tanktops, shorts and flipflops on formal night, to exaggerate a little. Underdressing would make you uncomfortable, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, no. There are people who don't know to be uncomfortable about being poorly dressed for the situation. They are true 'It's all about me' people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This topic makes me laugh because my husband hates to visit churches and cathedrals.  In fact, he has a rule when vacationing:  "Only one church."  He will happily sit outside in his sport shoes while the rest of the group goes inside.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SueMo said:

This topic makes me laugh because my husband hates to visit churches and cathedrals.  In fact, he has a rule when vacationing:  "Only one church."  He will happily sit outside in his sport shoes while the rest of the group goes inside.

They are called ADC tours. Another D@@@ Church.  I go because I like to look at gold and that is where all of the gold is!