The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday February 7th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Send a Card to a Friend Day, Wave All your Fingers at Your Neighbor Day, and Ballet Day

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.--Ernest Hemingway

Meal Suggestion for today - Italian Wedding Soup
Drink of the Day - Maple Leaf
Wine of the Day - Pyramid Valley Vineyards Pinot Noir Canterbury Earth Smoke 2020
Destination of the Day - Nosy Be Island, Madagascar

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 2-08

Koningsdam

Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii 07:00 Arrive

Nieuw Amsterdam

Grand Cayman Island, George Town Harbour 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 13:00 - 23:00

Oosterdam

Puerto Madryn, Argentina 09:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 16:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Puerto Madryn, Argentina eta 2-08

Zaandam

Cartagena Colombia 07:00 - 13:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Melbourne, Victoria Australia 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Port Blair, South Andaman Island, India 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Sydney, NSW Australia eta 2-09

image.thumb.png.1ff8282e207f2c70421986e1806bd747.png

image.thumb.png.cb4a76e1f3b91a17caf2e3a14fd7d878.png

Sandi for Roy and Rich

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10

Today’s care list:

RIP Hal Sailer’s DSIL 2/3/23

RIP Cat Shepard’s nephew 2/4/23

RIP Bennybear’s aunt 2/5/23

Fall for Joy injuring elbow and rib

Roy showing some improvement

Jacqui still with splint on problem elbow

Marshhawk’s friend in a coma after falling

Tupper10 back went out & son in hospital

Cruising sister takes a tumble

Turkish earthquake victims

From the rotation:

Rowsby in need of shoulder replacement

No word from Scrapnana
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Aliaschief in Cancun until 2/14
4 days for StLouisCruisers (Sky Princess 2/11 to 2/18)

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Sirena to 2/19), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6),  Dobiemom (Norwegian Encore to 2/12),  0106 (Rotterdam 2/4 to 2/15), Lindaler and Ottahand7 (Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Good morning friends!  Seems like every morning when I sit down to make our Daily post, my wifi stops working temporarily.  Maybe it is doing some kind of test, or maybe it's trying to drive me insane!  Anyway after 15 minutes of grief it is back so here we are.  Our weather here is 37F, mostly clear and will rise to 66 this afternoon.  I think we should begin packing for our cruise today so that should be fun.  Not!  I hate packing.

Thanks to Rich @richwmn we have our Daily, and that includes Send A Card to a Friend Day.  I am a card sender but so many people these days aren't.  They appreciate the cards they receive though! 🤔  We also have Wave All Your Fingers at Your Neighbor Day.  Hmm, sounds like an odd thing to do.  I think I'll just wave my usual way.  And finally Ballet Day.  I don't know any ballet dancers and don't attend ballet performances so hope you all can relate.  Interesting quote by Hemingway but it sounds painful.  The Italian Wedding Soup sounds good.  No thanks to the drink and red wine.  Our port today is a bit different than past postings.  Today is Nosy Be Island, Madagascar.  In the past we've had Tolanaro and Andoany (Hell-Ville), Nosy Be, Madagascar.  From what I've read Hell-Ville is the old name for Andoany.  And Andoany is the port for Nosy Be.  I haven't been to either one but if you have photos of Madagascar, post anything you want today.  You have my permission! 😁Here is a link to Rich's post on March 7, 2022 when he posted Andoany.  You may find some photos there to repost.

As for the Care list Prayers for all.  We have so many recently departed family members and we send our prayers to the families and friends.  Hoping to hear good news today about Roy, Jacqui, Joy and all those in pain.  Also we want to remember to pray for the people of Ukraine, and the victims of the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria.  Three cheers for our Celebration list people and many of those are cruising right now.  Smooth seas for everyone!

I'd better post quickly now while my wifi is working.  I've been sitting here for 20 minutes waiting for it to return again.  Hope you have a better start to your day than me!!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and than-you @StLouisCruisersfor today’s report.  Unfortunately one of the card that I’m sending to a friend today is a sympathy card for the loss of his sister.  Happily, the other is a Valentines Day card to my mom.  I really enjoy Hemingway’s writing and believe that’s what it must of felt like to him, sounds painful though!  The meal suggestion sounds like a nice lunch idea. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and for the victims and    survivors of the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events.🎉

• Like 26

Good morning as the sun rises over the port of Miami.

Thank you @StLouisCruisersSandi for your dedication to making sure we are cared for each morning.  Really appreciate your efforts.  You are doing a wonderful job.

i am up early and thought I would post before I jump in the shower.  I am letting DH sleep a bit longer.

Slept a little bit better last night, but still wish I didn’t wake up so many times.

Maybe tonight will do the trick as the ship rocks me to sleep.

Prayers for all who have lost loved ones and for those who have illnesses and injuries from falls.

Cheers to my fellow Dailyites who will be cruising along with me Bon Voyage!

Enjoy today and God Bless,

Terri

61B00997-6D05-44A0-9B5D-332119409505.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Thank you so much Sandi for your excellent work in posting the fleet reports,daily and the care lists during Roy and Rich's absence.

We always send birthday, Christmas and sympathy cards.

Wave fingers is something Sarah's dad does🤔.

The only time I used a typewriter was briefly during my first job working at a travel agents.

Today's food sounds interesting as my late grandmother was Italian.

Prayers for all on our increasing care list.

Take care friends.

Graham.

• Like 24

Hola! Just beginning to stir here in Cancun. We enjoyed a delightful chicken pasta dish last night. Eating on the balcony,with the view and a good wine added to the ambiance.

It’s going to be a nice day so we’ll be headed to the pool early to get our favorite spot. Chaise Lounge hogging is closely monitored and controlled here. So many just arrive at six get their preferred seating and start the day by the pool. 

We are dining out tonight at a restaurant across the street from us.Other than that,  we are pretty much following our routine of lounging, reading and of course following the Daily!

Prayers for all and hoping no one else is added to the Care List today. Be careful as it’s slippery in many cases or there are many things to trip over.

Enjoy your day!

Bruce

image.jpeg.3b89d2b9f36bc5922750a9106c15e016.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.28b7ca02c63ccd7a247162c24ec28b0d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b69bdf836ab5c00b20369cfbf1ebad84.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6ffdb94bf0bb382effd041d63bac1485.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Haha 16

12 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning as the sun rises over the port of Miami.

Thank you @StLouisCruisersSandi for your dedication to making sure we are cared for each morning.  Really appreciate your efforts.  You are doing a wonderful job.

i am up early and thought I would post before I jump in the shower.  I am letting DH sleep a bit longer.

Slept a little bit better last night, but still wish I didn’t wake up so many times.

Maybe tonight will do the trick as the ship rocks me to sleep.

Prayers for all who have lost loved ones and for those who have illnesses and injuries from falls.

Cheers to my fellow Dailyites who will be cruising along with me Bon Voyage!

Enjoy today and God Bless,

Terri

61B00997-6D05-44A0-9B5D-332119409505.jpeg

Excellent view Terri.

Best wishes for a fabulous cruise.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from Sint MaartenB88EE89C-531C-45BB-A89D-7A379AEDD956.thumb.jpeg.08e895040fa03d2969dbe0f8a3cad894.jpeg

We had an outstanding dinner at Tamarind (sorry, I always forget to take pictures) and enjoyed a Mariner reception by the Lido pool later on the evening.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report, a lovely way to start the day.

We've got a chance of freezing rain this morning, then changing to rain.  Strange weather for January for us.  It's windy too.  Bertie and I will walk carefully when we go out.

I will be sending Valentine's cards.  I think people love getting mail that isn't a bill.  I wave all my fingers at my neighbours.  I'm not a big fan of ballet.

Interesting quote from a great author.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Not sure about the drink and wine.

We haven't been to today's port.

@Cruzin TerriHave a great cruise.

@aliaschief Thanks for the laughs.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily report and everyone who posts on it!   Italian Wedding soup is really good. The sunrise was gorgeous, but we are in for bad weather later today.  I need to  do some errands, so I hope to get them done before the rain starts. 

• Like 23

I'm hearing on the news that both Milwaukee and McKeesport, Pennsylvania lost 1 police officer last night due to shootings.  Another officer in McKeesport was wounded.  The name of the Milwaukee officer has not been released.  The McKeesport officer killed was Sean Sluganski and the wounded officer's name is Charles Thomas.  Being called to a domestic dispute is very dangerous these days for our men in blue.  Please keep them in your prayers.🙏

• Like 7
  • Thanks 24

Good morning, everyone!

I'm up early and have a somewhat busy day ahead.  Fortunately, I slept a lot better last night.  I went to bed at 9 pm and slept soundly till 6 am.  I have an appointment with the surgeon this morning concerning my hypercalcemia.  I'm planning to get to the gym for a short workout and then I have to get DB home from the hospital and settled into his apartment.  Some woman he has befriended in the complex is supposed to be there to help him out.  After that, I head to the grocery store.  

What we have come to know and love as Italian Wedding Soup, is actually an ancient Neapolitan soup called minestra maritata, which translates to “married soup”, not wedding soup. It refers to the ‘marriage’ of bits of inexpensive meat and leafy greens which make up the main ingredients. Minestra maritata makes the most of simple ingredients and is the perfect example of la cucina povera, the no-waste “poor cooking” tradition from rural Italy.  You can read more about the origin of the soup and get the first recipe here:   https://www.sandravalvassori.com/italian-wedding-soup-minestra-maritata/#:~:text=to serve it.-,Origin of Italian Wedding Soup,make up the main ingredients.

1932619032_Italianweddingsoup5.jpg.61867f67e993d677d40756cfe70f5413.jpg

That looks good to me!   OR you can try this one instead:   https://www.cookingclassy.com/italian-wedding-soup/

1659067651_Italianweddingsoup1.thumb.jpg.dad2dc836502f721e21a30370b7ba336.jpg

Of course the one above has my dreaded carrots in it.  They look pretty, but we learned in the first recipe that they aren't authentic to the recipe.  At least, that's my story.   And Giada De Laurentiis from the Food Network agrees with me.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/italian-wedding-soup-recipe-1915916

767017989_Italianweddingsoup2.thumb.jpeg.a7b555d1c310da688754d1d0f1ec932f.jpeg

Ree Drummond didn't get the carrots memo, but she offers a slightly different recipe.  She doesn't add the egg like Giada does, but does add in lemon juice.  She also uses a combination of chicken and beef broth.   https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a40810110/italian-wedding-soup-recipe/

601740587_Italianweddingsoup4.thumb.jpg.38ca49b624cf7b6627e81453e027e2a8.jpg

I'm going with recipe #1.   

@kochleffel Paul, welcome home and I hope you slept well last night.  

@rafinmd Looking forward to progress for you in your recovery. 

@Seasick Sailor I hope we get good news concerning your x-rays.

@Cruzin Terri Bon Voyage!   Have a wonderful cruise.

@Cruising-along Is the painting all done?

@kazuHoping today is a better day for you.  You have a ton of people caring about you, even when it doesn't feel like it.

@marshhawk Healing thoughts for your friend Fran.  

Warm thoughts to anyone I inadvertently left out.  It wasn't intentional - just a need for more coffee.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Good morning everyone. Prayers for all on our list and for the people in Turkey and Syria after the devastating earthquake. I can’t imagine how people survive all these natural disasters.

Thank you Sandi for keeping this thread going.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Maple Leaf cocktail:

Ingredients
Deselect All
2 ounces pear puree
1 ounce bourbon, such as Four Roses
1/4 ounce cognac, such as Remy Martin VS
1/4 ounce fresh lime juice
1/4 ounce grade A maple syrup
1/4 ounce pimento dram
Small yellow or red maple leaf, washed, for garnish

Directions
Add the pear puree, bourbon, cognac, lime juice, maple syrup and pimento dram to a mixing glass, add ice and shake vigorously in a cocktail shaker. Double-strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice, garnish and serve.

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 7.41.10 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 13

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!

Up early, they changed the time of DH's surgery today, from 12:30 to 11 this morning, which means of course that we have to be there earlier.  Surgery takes about 45 minutes, and then there is the post op time.  

I was thinking this morning about why we seem to have problems sleeping.  Beside the fact that our body wants us to do something, we are all mentally attached to something stressful.  While these things, or people bring us joy, they bring us worry.  And worry wakes us up at night.

If you Pray,  don't worry.  This was a phrase that I learned and liked when i first got into AA.  If I pray, then I am giving my problems and stress to a higher power, and I should at that point have faith that my higher power will handle my worries for me. 

And yet, I stress over my jobs, I stress over finances, I stress about DH's surgery, I stress about finding the place where the surgery is taking place, I stress over the cats, and what's worse is I stress over staying up too late, and having to get up real early.  Of course I can do somethings to change that stress level, some I cant.  And I do believe that God puts me in the place I am supposed to be so that what I go through will change me for the better.  So I need to regroup this morning, and turn my worries over, clear my head, figure out what I can do to make my stress level lower, and sometimes, that is just ask for help.

cat26.gif

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Sandi for getting us started and covering for Roy & Rich! A lovely cool morning here, so Bindi opted for a longer morning walk. 

Chores, Bindi walks, a gym class and a trip to my local wine bar to try one of their featured wines - a Vino Verde. I had never heard of Green Wine before the Holidays, but I enjoyed one at a local Portuguese restaurant, so I am interested in trying this one. 

53C6187F-F561-4CC8-A02E-A647D940CC1A.jpeg.b40bb07db7afa6d8a986b485a7cab292.jpeg

80663442-DCAA-41F6-8FAE-9E6B07D37FA7.jpeg.ce7ee54440b511b53e155e3451f706f7.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support, especially: Jacqui, Kathi, Roy, Sarah & Tana. Joy hope your X-rays showed nothing serious. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Pyramid Valley Vineyards Pinot Noir Canterbury Earth Smoke 2020

Another elusive New Zealand wine. There appears to be several online distributors that ship to North America, but a bulk purchase might be required. Too bad because I love a “brooding” wine. Prices start at $60.21+ shipping .

Winemaker notes 

Waikari, North Canterbury
Viticulture
Planted between 2000-2002 at high density of 11,111 vines/ha and farmed bio-dynamically from inception, Earth Smoke is an expansive 0.8ha block on east-facing, limestone-clay slopes with strong, beautifully structured soils.
25% clay, 15% active lime.
Winemaking
Carefully hand sorted, fully destemmed and fermented with yeasts from the vineyard, gently fermented using infusion methods for 21-27 days. Settled in tank before being transferred to French wooden cuves and barrel. Elevage of 18 months, then bottled unfined and unfiltered.
Tasting notes
Moderate black cherry colour, present and brooding in the glass. A deep, dark feel to the aromas, brooding black cherry and dark plum, pure and comforting, orange, Christmas cake spices, hints of warm, damp forest earth, precise and compelling. Lovely warm, ripe black cherry pastry feel on the palate, open and delicious kept in its place by wonderful savoury, sappy nuances, a hint of charcoal and vanilla; dense and long with no hint of sweetness just immaculate ripeness and the feel of clay and chalk. An iron fist in a velvet glove. Incredible.

Our 2020 Earth Smoke Pinot Noir is proudly one of the world’s first origin-verified wines. We partner with Oritain to scientifically trace the geochemical fingerprint* of our wine back to the unique clay and limestone-rich soils of the vineyard block it is named after.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Thank goodness all fingers are included in waving to your neighbors day! 😀

Reminds me of another story. Years ago we were cruising towards Tortola from San Juan and were going through this narrow passage. We were allowed on the bow as we sailed through.This small sailboat cut across the bow of the ship, the Captain kept blowing the ships horn, and once clear of the sailboat I looked back at the bridge and believed the Captain gave a one finger salute to the Captain of the sailboat.

As far as ballet day, tried ballet but always had trouble getting everything in those tights 😳

• Like 5
  • Haha 16

Good morning  to all.It may

be just me but I think the days are odd.I do however make Italian Wedding Soup often and my recipe is similar to the first one.We have not been to the port.

@marshhawk,Annie, I hope all goes well with the surgery and will be sending you both my prayers.

@dfish,Debbie, I hope the surgeon  is able to help and I hope all goes well with your brother and his discharge. 

@kazu,although our circumstances  are different I can relate to feeling rather low and wanting to step back. I will be thinking about you and hope things start to improve very soon.

@rafinmd,  Roy, I hope you start to feel more like yourself soon.Pneumonia can have a long recovery  process. I am glad you  were able to sleep last night.

We didn't  sleep well here.Some nights are harder than others. Tana and I were wide awake from about  3 am after some respiratory  issues.We opened the drapes and watched a beautiful  sunrise over our city and I brought her breakfast in bed. It looks like a nice day.

• Like 31