The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday February 11th, 2023

cat shepard

Today is Don't Cry over Spilled Milk Day, Make a Friend Day, and National Inventors Day

You educate a man

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Korean Short Ribs
Drink of the Day - Cran Tropic Tini
Wine of the Day - Betz Syrah La Côte Patriarche, Yakima Valley, Washington State
Destination of the Day - Cape Horn, Chile Antarctica

Eurodam

Panama Canal 05:00 - 05:00

Koningsdam

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island 08:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Ushuaia, Argentina eta 2-17

Rotterdam

Basseterre St Kitts, Port Zante 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Montevideo, Uruguay 08:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Corinto, Nicaragua, Leon City 09:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Melbourne, Victoria Australia eta 2-13

Westerdam

Malacca, Malaysia 10:00 - 20:00

Zuiderdam

Port Arthur, Tasmania Australia 08:00 - 16:00

48A3656C-5632-42A8-9D5E-EBD6215FA4E6.thumb.jpeg.91048f3e6e6fe09df620f9c05742ceb9.jpeg

51537594-737B-45B7-A04F-F829DCA8AA72.thumb.jpeg.057c6f9098992dfab69ef291d18f7d84.jpeg

Ann, for Paul, Sandi, Roy and Rich who created this wonderful place & did the work!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Good morning! Per SIL who is on Koningsdam they are in Hilo today as they were yesterday due to high seas and unable to tender. They missed Maui due to same reasons. In essence there ports of call have been all mixed up or missed.

Rain is in the forecast this afternoon so we are by pool awaiting sunrise. Picture to follow.

Have a great day!

image.thumb.jpeg.6bb67e3d2021f0f1e0fb56ab35f9ffd1.jpegimage.jpeg.908783295cb33b60960b018e1eb16177.jpegimage.jpeg.4518a0f5bf1ed0b8d5bab68bfc53d7b2.jpegimage.jpeg.0d8f21dbbf287a7516a15735d801fc88.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.da6d39c78307281e96e7636a94f7b1d5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9021dba55b312b5078069b7b46f7c460.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

Thank you Rich for setting things up to make it so easy to post. And Sandi, thank you for the wonderful instructions for the maps. And Since it was raining, and Bindi does NOT linger in the rain, I signed on early. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping our lists. I know that requires a lot of diligence and effort. 

Just Zumba, chores, and then dinner at a friend’s. 

I found the perfect dress for this evening….

9755B68E-3EB6-49CD-8EAC-10969CACC3F4.jpeg.9eca7a8709006ad4182242ee617ebd05.jpeg

42F098FD-EBE5-48D6-8066-6749AE5875D4.jpeg.f4b5c273bfc5680e353b1bfe8a5cf33f.jpeg

Praying for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!  Get well & stay well everyone!

Betz Syrah La Côte Patriarche, Yakima Valley, Washington State

I used the 2019 vintage info, since that may be the easiest to find, but all released vintages share the same excellent reviews. I would love a taste, but often find Syrahs too much for me to handle. A few online distributors with prices starting at $62.99.

• Critic tasting note: "Red Willow is hallowed ground for Syrah in Washington, the vineyard where the variety was first planted. The aromas are brooding, with notes of herb, smoked meat, hay and cinnamon. The palate is light and elegant. It's a pretty expression of the variety, with impressive length. It will be interesting to see where additional time in the bottle takes it. Sean P. Sullivan" - 91/100Wine Enthusiast

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 7

Thank you so much for taking the reins this morning Ann and supplying today's daily reports.

It is easy to make a friend on this thread.

National inventors day is a great recognition for all inventors.

Today's food sounds nice 

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on our care list.

A few people were coughing and sneezing on our flight from Miami and we both felt a few cold symptoms yesterday so we both took Covid tests this morning and fortunately they were negative.

Best wishes to all of my friends on here for a safe and lovely weekend.

Graham.

• Like 20

Good morning and thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

It's cold here, we had a bit of snow overnight.  I heard the plows earlier this morning.  The roads look clear but we won't be going far.  I'll take Bertie for a walk soon.

A nice collection of days.  It's easy to say "don't cry over spilled milk" but sometimes I have trouble forgetting my errors.  There are lots of wonderful friends here.  A big thank you to inventors.

I think some of that quote is missing.  If I recall it correctly "If you educate a man, you educate a man.  If you educate a woman, you educate a nation."  

The meal suggestion sounds great, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 9

5 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning and thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

It's cold here, we had a bit of snow overnight.  I heard the plows earlier this morning.  The roads look clear but we won't be going far.  I'll take Bertie for a walk soon.

A nice collection of days.  It's easy to say "don't cry over spilled milk" but sometimes I have trouble forgetting my errors.  There are lots of wonderful friends here.  A big thank you to inventors.

I think some of that quote is missing.  If I recall it correctly "If you educate a man, you educate a man.  If you educate a woman, you educate a nation."  

The meal suggestion sounds great, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

Thank you for filling in the quote!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I was out just once yesterday but it was a fairly significant outing to the 2 most distant groceries I usually visit.  Today I will stop at the fire house and work on our tax return.  The weather looks nasty tomorrow so I'll probably just hunker down.  Slept well generally last night but I usually hit the wall about 3:30AM and can;t sleep after that.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:
I was out just once yesterday but it was a fairly significant outing to the 2 most distant groceries I usually visit.  Today I will stop at the fire house and work on our tax return.  The weather looks nasty tomorrow so I'll probably just hunker down.  Slept well generally last night but I usually hit the wall about 3:30AM and can;t sleep after that.

Roy

Glad to see you are up and about and out. That’s good news.

• Like 17

Good morning everyone. This was a week of doctor appointments. Dentist, pain medicine, ENT, and dermatologist. All checkups and all is good.

Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Turkey, Syria, and Ukraine. The destruction is beyond anything we can imagine.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Today’s care list:

RIP Cat Shepard’s nephew 2/4/23

RIP Bennybear’s aunt 2/5/23

Cruising-along’s worsened lab result

Roy slowly getting back to normal

Cruising sister’s painful hand surgery

Kochleffel with positive Covid test

Cruzn single lung problems

20,000+ deaths after Turkish & Syrian earthquakes

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Jacqui recovering from elbow surgery

Marshhawk’s abnormal scans

Scrapnana undergoing chemotherapy
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Tupper10’s son doing well after surgery

Luvteaching’s DH out of hospital and back in rehab facility

Bon Voyage StLouisCruisers!

Aliaschief in Cancun until 2/14

7 days for Seasick Sailor (Koningsdam 2/18 to 3/25)

7 days for 57redbird (Koningsdam 2/18 to 3/25)
StLouisCruisers (Sky Princess to 2/18)

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Sirena to 2/19), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), Dobiemom (Norwegian Encore to 2/12), 0106 (Rotterdam to 2/15), Lindaler and Ottahand7 (Volendam to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 20
  • Thanks 15

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Ann

Like the days - all inventors should be celebrated and the more friends the better.  I heard the spilled milk expression a few times in my younger days.  I think I will have fun with it today 😉 

4CA14653-7312-4D19-BFEB-D8E8DCAD05A8.jpeg.d2316de3c6163b607e6006c7d83e6ad2.jpeg

@puppycanducruiseThanks for completing the quote and I so agree with it.  DH and I went around Cape Horn once.  Quite the adventure - not as rough as I thought it would be but a number of people were suffering from the ‘motion of the ocean’.

Looks like the driveway will have to be de-iced again ‘sigh’.  Bring on spring!  Hopefully the ice/snow crap ends today 🤞  In honour of  @Cruising-along’s new grand furbabies.

DCE5D603-C6DD-492B-ABA9-B9AB4A98D3EE.jpeg.b6d04e9da7ab3351e8cd559e45b737ae.jpeg

Trying to tidy up the last of the transfers for the guides on the cruises I’m not going on any longer today and get that off my plate.

36B012AC-52AE-4931-B24C-1598DF9FDBC4.jpeg.359d0d59a7b74ba6c84d48a74c07af7b.jpeg

And, since I”m pretty much stuck in the house, It’s time to start fishing out receipts and prepping for taxes.  Then all I have to do is wait for the remaining tax slips.  Most are already in already 😬. More complicated this year with 3 to do (death creates another one - stupid).

FEDBD7CE-4263-4C73-B771-5FE39FEE87CA.jpeg.54981d494bd500b4b13837c91a4f7f58.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, people in Ukraine, victims and those affected by the earthquake & for those that need them 🙏. And, a 🥂 to those Celebrating.

8AD1B767-D6B0-4CA8-910E-FA91266FC5FC.jpeg.b8631ea29de8140d6462329dbfbcf0ed.jpeg

Have a great Saturday everyone !!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily @cat shepard!  I don't cry over spilled milk, except when it's the last little bit I was hoping to have with my cereal.  I feel like I've made so many wonderful friends since this thread began.  Inventors need to be celebrated - where would we be without them?

I just checked the weather and we're sitting at a pleasant -7C; when I checked my FB memories post from 1 year ago today said "Welcome to a balmy day on Mars" as we had extreme cold and high winds with a "feels like" -51C.  Today we could reach a high of 0C, which means it will be just lovely outside; if it wasn't so icy, I'd drag DH out for a walk, but it isn't worth the worry.

Bon Voyage to Sandi @StLouisCruisers; will be watching and waving back at you at sail-away this afternoon!

This morning we're heading out to pick up some fresh cinnamon buns and coffee and will drop them off at a friend's house.  She had cataract surgery yesterday morning, so we thought she might enjoy a treat - her husband will, too.  Other than that there's not a lot going on, so I'll continue to work on knitting blankets.  I've already got 2 done and am working on another - it puts spare time to good use.

I think we'd like today's menu suggestion, but I've got ground beef thawing that will be made into patties to stick into the George Foreman.  Hamburgers, oven fries and coleslaw will be what's on our kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them - especially for the people of Turkey and Syria, and of course, Ukraine.  Special prayers for our Daily family dealing with health issues.  Loud cheers and clapping for all with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28

Good cold and sunny morning. 
Today is the first ox roast of the year at Witmer Fire Company in Lancaster County. According to their Facebook page, they have made over 2 thousand pounds of beef for today. Still drive thru only. Gates open at 11am. I love supporting a worthy cause.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 24

Good morning, everyone.  

Today is supposed to be sunny and mid 40sF here in mid-Michigan.  I have a morning Zoom meeting and then I'm going over to Mt. Pleasant to have dinner with friends from Ohio.  They actually moved up here before I did!  

Today's meal is an easy one.  Put it in the slow cooker and let it go.  This first one is pretty straight forward and easy to do.  https://houseofnasheats.com/slow-cooker-korean-beef-short-ribs-kalbi/

395740484_koreanshortribs1.thumb.jpg.fe69aa54c92a3339e716671c3c919cf4.jpg

Now, doesn't that look good?   This next one is a one pot meal with potatoes and carrots included.   https://mykoreankitchen.com/slow-cooker-short-ribs/

1898703429_koreanshortribs2.thumb.jpg.92962ef1973d8c7de071b423e4a14cf2.jpg

This next one uses an Asian pear (or a regular pear if you can't find an Asian one) rather than brown sugar.  Sounds healthy to me!   https://nomnompaleo.com/post/3762844557/slow-cooker-korean-grass-fed-short-ribs

1916853375_koreanshortribs3.thumb.jpg.ce11eeff9cb4f638d693f8a6971b026c.jpg

Just leave the cilantro off, @Cruising-along Carolyn.  

Thee is no cilantro in this one.  What you see is parsley.  https://damndelicious.net/2016/03/23/slow-cooker-asian-short-ribs/

1859545990_koreanshortribs4.thumb.jpg.5ed5cdc72678e809a41cfb1bbd03fe8f.jpg

And one last recipe with subtle differences.   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/slow-cooker-korean-short-ribs/

1562277867_koreanshortribs5.thumb.jpg.b9efa17495bcca19487e562e1c7f9eab.jpg

Healing thoughts and hugs to all our ailing Dailyites.  I hope things are moving in the right direction for all of you.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 12

Good morning from a sunny and cold central Texas.  

Cape Horn and the Drake Passage have been the port of the day twice.  The first time was December 19, 2021, and the second time was September 16, 2022.  The links to Rich's @richwmn posts are below.

The Daily for Sunday December 19, 2021

richwmn

By richwmn,
December 19, 2021 in Holland America Line

The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 16th, 2022

richwmn

By richwmn,
September 16, 2022 in Holland America Line

I tried several times, but for some reason the links don't work. I'm not sure what went wrong, but they give you an idea where to look for your pictures.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Great start to the day with Ann @cat shepardand Vanessa @JazzyVposting. It’s not easy keeping up with the lists and you did an excellent job Vanessa!  Also @puppycanducruisegood catch on the quote. Very interesting. Just sitting here waiting to head over to terminal 2. Prayers for the many in need and those suffering around the world. Happy cruising everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

It is great to hear you are able to get about Roy.

It took me ages to overcome my pneumonia and Pleurisy when I was only 17 years old so please pace yourself.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. It is chilly so far with a bit of a breeze. I saw the skunk family again from afar earlier and took the doggies in the other direction. We usually don’t have them around until spring. Maybe it is spring for the animals in the big park next door.

Debbie @dfish, the recipes look so good and any one of them would be popular here. The Executive Chef has a yearning for enchiladas so we are headed for the store in a while to pick up ingredients. One grocery store is only half a mile away on foot so I have been walking to and fro for exercise lately. It is mostly uphill to get there so it is a bit of a challenge. The trick has been to engage DH in this activity. He does it  ostensibly so that I don’t have to manage the grocery bags alone. He is not joyful with this activity but it is good for us.

Wishing you all a great day.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

With the prices of milk today, I cry over spilled milk. Also when I milk the cow and spill the milk, I also cry. Another udder disaster.

RedneckBob, I am sure that some people think your humor is udderly ridiculous, but I disagree.  You should milk it for all its worth.

• Like 5
  • Haha 16