The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday March 9th, 2023

Slept in. We had a lovely evening last night and she cooked us a fantastic meal. Little different having a guest cook but she wanted to do it. The meal got changed from shrimp and grits to shrimp scampi pasta but it was still great.

Today I need to prepare for our small group Bible study tonight and go to CVS and get updated on a pneumonia vaccine.

So being late I’m going to enjoy my coffee and start my day off by reading the Daily.

Thanks to all who make it possible.

Bruce

image.jpeg.a3e66f2e80714753fc42d1b72f72f428.jpegimage.jpeg.d71fbadb638e893deff45fa9c96ffeb7.jpegimage.jpeg.fd971ef4e136530ca5e91d07e1ea671c.jpegimage.jpeg.d8cacb8d211b1d43b002c6de3f2d31c8.jpegimage.jpeg.4ec6f3c0ca81f61d256168e04ebc4447.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Haha 11

Good morning.

I used to have Barbie dolls; wish I'd kept them as they might be worth something. I don't like the phrase "Get over it" as getting over things often isn't that easy and takes time. No need to panic, most of the time. I like the quote. The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine.

I haven't been to Apia.

It's sunny but chilly, in the 20's. Tomorrow rain/sleet/snow they say. I don't have any where to go tomorrow, fortunately. I'm squeezing this in before I leave for my appointment; going early due to traffic issues. Then to CVS. My brand name eye drop ($37) is no where to be found; the generic ($99) is available, so I'll use GoodRx to get it ($65) because I need it.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for starting us up today. Prayers for your family member under stress this week. Great photos of Apia. 

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad to hear that your heating pad is helping your discomfort.

@rafinmd Good news about a better night's sleep, Roy.

@grapau27 Yummy lunch. How is Sarah doing?

@smitty34877 LOL on you and the other grandma dressing Barbie without DGD there.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@cunnorl Good luck in the tournament tomorrow.

@aliaschief Great memes, Bruce.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

The “meal suggestion” and the recipes @dfish provides always inspire me.  Shawarma is dish that requires Middle Eastern spices; it has a very different flavor profile than a Greek gyro.   It is easy to prepare your shawarma spice mix.  Here is a simple blend:

¾ tablespoon cumin

¾ tablespoon turmeric powder

¾ tablespoon coriander

¾ tablespoon garlic powder

¾ tablespoon sweet Spanish paprika 

½ teaspoon ground cloves

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, more if you prefer

My family knows I love to cook and often gift me unique kitchen ingredients and utensils.  This year, receive a subscription to Piquant Post.  Each month I receive three spice blends from a single region, as well as recipes that are easy and quick to cook.  You can also view additional recipes online and reorder the spices.  My box introduced me to shawarma and it is a delicious blend.  I frequently use it on chicken for my DH and mushrooms or cauliflower for me.

Find ecstasy in life; the mere sense of living is joy enough. Emily Dickinson is one of my favorite poets.  I agree that we should find joy every day, in the simple things.  Holding a grudge, get over it.  Don’t panic, take a deep breath.  I hope everyone is able to find some JOY today.

73196240-E672-41DA-B054-2CDA84D07E42.jpeg.1f8607d47a88de1cf60d1242079b95ad.jpeg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 25

11 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning.

I used to have Barbie dolls; wish I'd kept them as they might be worth something. I don't like the phrase "Get over it" as getting over things often isn't that easy and takes time. No need to panic, most of the time. I like the quote. The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine.

I haven't been to Apia.

It's sunny but chilly, in the 20's. Tomorrow rain/sleet/snow they say. I don't have any where to go tomorrow, fortunately. I'm squeezing this in before I leave for my appointment; going early due to traffic issues. Then to CVS. My brand name eye drop ($37) is no where to be found; the generic ($99) is available, so I'll use GoodRx to get it ($65) because I need it.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for starting us up today. Prayers for your family member under stress this week. Great photos of Apia. 

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad to hear that your heating pad is helping your discomfort.

@smitty34877 LOL on you and the other grandma dressing Barbie without DGD there.

Stay well everyone.

Her back is a lot better thank you Vanessa.

• Like 11

Good afternoon from the Atlantic on our way north west to Devil's Island. Thank you for all the wonderful reports each day and the beautiful port photos.  Prayers for everyone on our Care list and the people of Ukraine who went through more Russian bombardment last night. 

Today they had a 100 bronze award meet up in the mainstage.  I guessed it would be 350 but captain said it was 420 so there were be 2 ceremonies because of occupancy restrictions.  They were offering wine, mimosas and soda.  Today is the King Neptune event at the Sea View pool.  We may or may not go.  Have a wonderful day.  Some photos from MDR Lido lunch preview  of Amazon fish last night and the dessert display in the Lido today. Nancy 

IMG_20230308_165515789.jpg

IMG_20230309_111953676.jpg

IMG_20230309_112000363.jpg

IMG_20230309_112003721.jpg

IMG_20230309_112013664.jpg

IMG_20230309_112019361.jpg

IMG_20230309_112027647.jpg

IMG_20230309_112034881.jpg

IMG_20230309_112040032.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today we had a new, at least for me, event. It was called 'Sea Day Brunch' in the MDR. We had a reservation for 11:30am and were seated immediately. It was advertised as a sampler, but everything seemed to be just a bit smaller than a normal serving.

The Menu

Mar09LunMenu.thumb.png.7040e451b7e621fe7885c67caf001450.png

I didn't take a picture of the cold sampler, but here is the hot sampler.

Mar09Lun1.thumb.png.5c8637e0d933e5faf7431ed300a067b6.png

And now the desserts.

Mar09Lun2.thumb.png.3e532ec0317c1d70a68f98d6d9ed31f6.png

Edit -- I got the food pictures backwards to start with. I have corrected them.

Rich, the Sea Day brunch is an interesting concept.  Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning,

Thank you to @StLouisCruisersSandi for your dedication to the Daily and Fleet Report.

Interesting Days.  Barbie Day.  Never had a Barbie Doll. Lots of things to get over—one of them was the panic of getting the wrong meds injected into me by IV the other day in the ER.

Anyway, it appears it is out of my system now.

The quote is interesting.

I will skip the meal.  Our meals these days are quite simple until I feel better and Abel to cook more elaborate meals.  I don’t drink hard liquor, but DH make like to have the Manhattan.

I will have to wait and see whether the wine is within our budget.

Have not been to the port. But thank you again to Sandi for the photos.

Thank you to @JazzyVVanessa for being the keeper of the lists.  You are doing a wonderful job.  Thank you also for mentioning me on both the cares and celebration lists,  I appreciate it.  Prayers for all on the cares list and hope for speedy recovery or resolution for those who are on it.

Cheers to those who are celebrating and cruising.

On another note.  Last night I was able to get into the Master Closet before they grout the bathroom today.  I was able to get the heating pad and used it.  It gave me some relief.  More relief than the pills I was prescribed, which did nothing for me. I think I will try to use it regularly as it seems to make me more comfortable and may be loosening up the tightened muscle.  

Slept quite well last night.  I had the heating pad on while watching TV on and fell asleep in the Den. DH came in and woke me up.  I just moved to the bedroom and just slept until 6:15 am.  All together got about 8 1/2 hours of sleep.  I think that helps as well. 

Today we are getting the ottoman to complete our living room furniture (which is all covered up).  Hopefully soon, we will be able to show off our new furniture and enjoy our new digs,. Pictures to come as soon as everything is complete.

Hope everyone has a great day 

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I'm glad to hear you slept well last night, along with several others in our Daily group.  I actually slept pretty well last night too.  I've been taking one Benadryl before bedtime and feel like I get a bit more sleep that way.  I hope the grouting gets complete so the contractor can finish up all those last projects.  Good luck with the ottoman delivery.🤞

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Thursday (FRIDAY EVE).   Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, Ann, and other Dailyites.  I don't think I really relate to any of today's days and especially try not to panic.  I was supposed to be visiting Apia on Crystal Serenity in 2018 but the Captain said they were renovating the pier and we had to pass it by.  The meal sounds interesting.

Had my best recent sleep last night.  I'm usually up for the 4:30 news but slept until about 4:45.  Wishing Pat luck with his surgery today.

Roy

Happy for your good sleep too, Roy.  You sound like you're feeling a little more chipper this week.  Sleep is healing!

Also want to wish @Vict0riann's Pat good luck on his surgery as well.  

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Lunch today.

IMG_20230309_125305.jpg

IMG_20230309_125300.jpg

Screenshot_20230309_125557.jpg

Looking good Graham!  Especially the dessert, my favorite course.😋

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all on a beautiful sunny day. It will go up to fifty today but there is snow/rain/sleet coming tomorrow.

We make a concerted effort not to panic here and often have to just get over things right away. I knew my DGD was growing up when she informed me her Barbie collection was given to a”little girl” she knows. I think she humored me a lot when we visited and played with her Barbie dolls. One Christmas my fellow grandma and I were caught dressing the Barbie collection without DGD in attendance. 
Just the name of the recipe sounds good to me and I will check it out later. We made the Cheesecake Factory chicken last night and received a standing ovation. It was really tasty and didn’t take long to put together. I used the less caloric recipe at the end. Thanks Debbie, as always. @dfish.

Have a great day everyone 

Terry, I always like to hear which recipes folks like the best so thanks for the validation.  A standing ovation sounds amazing!  Hope tomorrow's weather isn't as bad as predicted.  I told everyone last week when my stylist cancelled my hair appointment due to a stomach bug that my rescheduled appointment would be on a rainy day.  Bingo!  Tomorrow morning we are having rain.  Probably buckets of it!

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Slept in. We had a lovely evening last night and she cooked us a fantastic meal. Little different having a guest cook but she wanted to do it. The meal got changed from shrimp and grits to shrimp scampi pasta but it was still great.

Today I need to prepare for our small group Bible study tonight and go to CVS and get updated on a pneumonia vaccine.

So being late I’m going to enjoy my coffee and start my day off by reading the Daily.

Thanks to all who make it possible.

Bruce

image.jpeg.a3e66f2e80714753fc42d1b72f72f428.jpegimage.jpeg.d71fbadb638e893deff45fa9c96ffeb7.jpegimage.jpeg.fd971ef4e136530ca5e91d07e1ea671c.jpegimage.jpeg.d8cacb8d211b1d43b002c6de3f2d31c8.jpegimage.jpeg.4ec6f3c0ca81f61d256168e04ebc4447.jpeg

More good sleep news from you.  Hope the pneumonia shot doesn't cause much soreness.  I had the same shot Monday and it wasn't too bad.  Thanks so much for the hilarious memes!

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning.

I haven't been to Apia.

Stay well everyone.

Vanessa, sorry to hear you may have frozen precipitation tomorrow too.  Lucky you with nothing that needs to be done tomorrow away from home.  Crazy your generic eye drops are nowhere to be found so I'm glad the GoodRX option will help out some.  Thank you for the extra prayers for my family member's difficult situation.  

40 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good afternoon from the Atlantic on our way north west to Devil's Island. Thank you for all the wonderful reports each day and the beautiful port photos.  Prayers for everyone on our Care list and the people of Ukraine who went through more Russian bombardment last night. 

Today they had a 100 bronze award meet up in the mainstage.  I guessed it would be 350 but captain said it was 420 so there were be 2 ceremonies because of occupancy restrictions.  They were offering wine, mimosas and soda.  Today is the King Neptune event at the Sea View pool.  We may or may not go.  Have a wonderful day.  Some photos from MDR Lido lunch preview  of Amazon fish last night and the dessert display in the Lido today. Nancy 

IMG_20230308_165515789.jpg

IMG_20230309_111953676.jpg

IMG_20230309_112000363.jpg

IMG_20230309_112003721.jpg

IMG_20230309_112013664.jpg

IMG_20230309_112019361.jpg

IMG_20230309_112027647.jpg

IMG_20230309_112034881.jpg

IMG_20230309_112040032.jpg

That's an amazing dessert display!  👏  Speaking of desserts, do you have the wonderful ice cream server who we enjoyed so much on our Volendam cruise?  Her name was something like Harvelle.  She was quite vocal in her greetings to everyone.  She is the one a Lido crew member told us was on her first contract - she's still joyful!  Still cracks me up to think of it!😂

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a very cloudy and cool central Texas.  It is 62F and the high should be 75F with evening thunderstorms.  

Both DDs had Barbies which along with their clothes and accessories are in the attic.  When Barbie was introduced, I had just about quit playing with dolls, and I thought Barbie was too small.  I try to get over things, but there a some that you just can quite get over.  I also try not to panic.

A good quote by Emily Dickinson.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I would like to try the wine.

We have not been to Apia, Samoa.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope your family member makes it through the stressful week all right.  Thanks for your pictures of Samoa.

@puppycanducruise  Melanie, thanks for the information on Barbie's full name.  It has been a trivia question in the past, but I seem to forget her name afterwards.

@cat shepard  Ann, thanks for the information on the Frescobaldi family and their vineyards.  We were introduced to Frescobaldi Remole by our wine stewardess on P&O Oriana in 2000.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad the heating pad helped last night and that you got a good night's sleep.  I can't wait to see the pictures of your finished house, but I know you really can't wait for the house to be finished.

@rafinmd  Roy, glad you had your best recent sleep last night.

@dfish  I hope you get the results of the CT scan today, and that there are no changes.

@cunnorl  Charlene, good luck at the tournament tomorrow, and I hope you get a strong team.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the traffic and delays are not too bad today.  It is hard to believe they cannot find the brand name eyedrops and that the generic are so much more expensive.  We use GoodRx, plus our pharmacy checks all the different plans like GoodRX and gives us the lowest price.

@grapau27  Graham, I'm happy Sarah's back is a lot better.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I think I gained five pounds just looking at all those yummy desserts.  🤣 We've always enjoyed the Crossing the Line ceremonies.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Debbie, @dfish and anyone else interested in hiking Signal Hill in St. John's, Newfoundland, I found some pictures that show the trails between Signal Hill and the Johnson Geo Centre.  They should give you an idea of what is available.  Part way down, there is another building with a lot of cannons for protection.  BTW, when I was looking on Google maps I noticed the Centre is temporarily closed, but my best guess is, it's closed for the winter.

You can see the trail and stairs leading from the Cabot Tower area.

DSC08365.thumb.JPG.aecbc6aab6a315ff25731def7c2382e4.JPG

The point with the building and cannons, and on the right hand side is the Johnson Geo Centre.

DSC08382.thumb.JPG.04ead9350bffade3c96a3dee009bae0c.JPG

Part of the road between the top of Signal Hill and the Centre.

DSC08372.thumb.JPG.39f2fffb4246567cf4910428c69f89d3.JPG

I think I could even manage the walk down from Signal Hill.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Not morning anymore here...Happy Afternoon Daiyites.  

We had to run our early, because we had run out of everything....

I hated dolls, was a stuffed critter fanatic, but I had a Barbie, and her best friend, Midge.  Midge ran off with one neighbors GI Joe, and Barbie ended up dating my Scottish doll, kilt and all.  

Have you ever broken up with someone, and trashed everything of theirs that's left at your place?  When I left for college, my mother threw out everything I owned.  EVERYTHING. My dolls, my stuffed critters, my 45's, my albums...my bike ....if I hadn't taken it I no longer owned it.  I didn't know we had broken up, but apparently we had.  Poor woman, must have put her over the edge when I moved back in for two years after college.🙄

I see in my HAL roll call that our meet and greet has been assigned a meeting place, in the crow's nest on our first sea day.  Getting very excited!

I had a crazy patron yesterday, who ranted and raved about people not calling her at the time she requested, I tried, I did, and she didn't answer and then called back to complain again.  At 11 last night I heard from the on site boss who asked me about her, and when I told her that I had already rescheduled her, he told me that she had called after that conversation and wanted another call back- again, not during my hours...so today I am tired, but must go back to work. but he said something about flagging her account as a problem patron.

So off to walk the dog, and then go to work.  Hugs to all.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all! (still morning here) 😉  

I never had a Barbie, didn't really want one.  I was more into my (live) pets, not dolls.  My best friend had one though, even though I thought we were past the age for dolls 😅  Not quite sure about "get over it" and will try not to panic today or any day.  Will pass on the drink, wine and meal.  Tonight will be baked sole, salad and baked potatoes.  Apia is on our itinerary for the Grand Australia next year.  Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersfor the great photos!  I see that there weren't any last time it was the port of the day, so very much appreciated today.

We have another rain-less day, so I'll try to get out in the garden.  High is supposed to be 50.  Other than that, not much on my agenda.  DH has an appointment to see a specialist about his back and possible surgery.

Roy @rafinmdSo glad you slept better last night!

I hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites, today I am a bad wife!  I dropped Pat at the hospital at 8, and when I got home, I decided I had better make his favourite soda bread for him to have when he gets home, and I was waiting for him to call and forgot to check my emails, and he had emailed at 9:12, and now it is an hour later, and I guess he having his surgery.  The soda bread is in the oven.  He did send the phone number of the room he'll be in - I'm hoping it's the number for the nurses' station, so I'll try it in a couple of hours.   Thanks for the good wishes - I gave him a kiss and said break a leg, was that the right thing?

I am having a problem with my MacBook Pro.  I think I got a new update on the operating system, and now I can't post pictures.  I used to just drag them out of my photo library onto the desktop and then drag them from the desktop into the area on the post for photos.  Now the picture just opens on my page and I lose CC.  I have over 20,000 pictures in my library, so there really is no way to find them by number.  Any hints as to another way to do it?  I wanted to post some pictures from St. John's yesterday, and we have been to Apia.  I'm going to have to try to work something out.  I think I can still do it a slightly different way on my phone, but I don't think I have all my photos on my phone, or if they are,  they are out of order and hard to locate.

Can you tell I'm in panic mode?

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks all!  I still have my original Barbie, and the beautiful hand made Egyptian brocade evening gowns my mother made her.  
@RedneckBob at least it wasn’t an outlaw😉

@Vict0riannsending good wishes for a successful surgery for your DH.  I post photos from my I pad,  I can go to the photo library from CC and post them from there.   Much easier than putting on my desktop.  Hope that helps a little.  

@dfish hope you get good news!

I am jealous of those doing yard work, sort of,  we’re still getting even more snow tomorrow!

D601B63E-0FAA-4DDC-961E-CCED8AE7388A.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Weird, now I seem to be able to do it - maybe there was another upgrade or else I was doing something wrong yesterday.  

In Apia we took a ship's tour on one of their colourful open-air school busses

IMGP0734.thumb.JPG.e0305415c17b716eeb552c12119b0b46.JPG

It was really hot!

P1000191.thumb.JPG.4e8897b15d85f8fb41864c906a233533.JPG

We went to the market, and then to the Villa Vailima for a "kava ceremony".  I didn't taste it...   There was dancing and then more dancing as we sailed away on the Statendam.

P1000177.thumb.JPG.b5727b38d0450865bd3916ece4aad502.JPG

P10001822.thumb.JPG.b9ceb8fe721af5de4f0198842de24182.JPG

PoundingKava.thumb.jpg.dd827ec2ae5c59ba7b5604f915597515.jpg

KavaCeremony4.thumb.jpg.0c15c53edbc5902c3d34c02a619b6c4e.jpg

Miss Samoa was the star of the show...

MissSamoa.thumb.jpg.cfe2660d51ada080c22b96bad1d3abea.jpg

More dancers as we left.

SamoanDancers.thumb.jpg.bd930856a25799d9f81a183a69f3a89a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 10

7 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  I still have my original Barbie, and the beautiful hand made Egyptian brocade evening gowns my mother made her.  
@RedneckBob at least it wasn’t an outlaw😉

@Vict0riannsending good wishes for a successful surgery for your DH.  I post photos from my I pad,  I can go to the photo library from CC and post them from there.   Much easier than putting on my desktop.  Hope that helps a little.  

@dfish hope you get good news!

I am jealous of those doing yard work, sort of,  we’re still getting even more snow tomorrow!

D601B63E-0FAA-4DDC-961E-CCED8AE7388A.jpeg

You must have missed it, that a few days ago someone on this thread saw my picture in the post office !

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

Hello everyone,

I know today is “Get over it” day.  However, I was having trouble getting over the mistaken medication incident in the ER from Monday.  So I decided I had to do something about it in order to GET OVER IT. 

So I got busy this morning. First i called Hilton Head Hospital to ask for the person in charge of Assigned Risk at the Free-Standing ER Facility I visited.  After being transferred to about 5 different people i finally talked to a nursing supervisor, who sounded horrified at what happened to me.  She told me she would look into it and would get back to me.  She also told me it had to be excalalated because a doctor placed the order for the incorrect medication.

That was about 11 am.  i am still waiting.

Next, I found out the name of the CEO of Hilton Head Hospital and wrote a letter to him.  Snail mail PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL so that he gets it.  I explained the whole series of events and asked him to investigate the matter and get back to me.  i told him how concerned I was with the cavalier attitude of the doctor and that no instructions were given to me nor the name of the medication until I asked.  I also told him that I would be very wary of seeking any treatment at any of the facilities operated by Hilton Head Hospital in the future (and there are many in the area) because I could not be sure the same thing would not happen again and the next time it could be more serious.

I enclosed a copy of my discharge summery, which makes no mention of the mistake.

I then put it in the mailbox.  I have done my part.

Now i can GET OVER IT.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Weird, now I seem to be able to do it - maybe there was another upgrade or else I was doing something wrong yesterday.  

In Apia we took a ship's tour on one of their colourful open-air school busses

IMGP0734.thumb.JPG.e0305415c17b716eeb552c12119b0b46.JPG

It was really hot!

P1000191.thumb.JPG.4e8897b15d85f8fb41864c906a233533.JPG

We went to the market, and then to the Villa Vailima for a "kava ceremony".  I didn't taste it...   There was dancing and then more dancing as we sailed away on the Statendam.

P1000177.thumb.JPG.b5727b38d0450865bd3916ece4aad502.JPG

P10001822.thumb.JPG.b9ceb8fe721af5de4f0198842de24182.JPG

PoundingKava.thumb.jpg.dd827ec2ae5c59ba7b5604f915597515.jpg

KavaCeremony4.thumb.jpg.0c15c53edbc5902c3d34c02a619b6c4e.jpg

Miss Samoa was the star of the show...

MissSamoa.thumb.jpg.cfe2660d51ada080c22b96bad1d3abea.jpg

More dancers as we left.

SamoanDancers.thumb.jpg.bd930856a25799d9f81a183a69f3a89a.jpg

Nice photos Pat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1