The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 17th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  My weather is the same as @StLouisCruisers, but my computer is confused, and it says 54 and clear....yes, it is raining.  And then tomorrow the temperatures drop.

Todays plans are to walk the neighbors dog. stop at the Donut shop, have lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant, pick up a couple of boxes of prepared frozen chicken that Publix sells, so that we have dinner tonight.  Get home, walk the dog again, and then go to work. And after I get off work at 8 tonight, I am off for the rest of the weekend!  

I have decided to cut back on my work hours, this campaign is going nowhere.  Last year it was non stop sales, people were ready to get back out after they thought the pandemic was over, but this year, no one is answering the phones, every body want to order on line, the phone system is wacky  and no manager wants to tell the BIG GUY that the system is broken, and after a week of it working, it has gone back to its old errors.  I need the money, but I dont need the frustration.

St.-Pats-Cats_-Friday-Feline-Fun.png

7e23647e688c2203275a5d682a504fdc.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Top of the morning to all of you!

It is a ccol but sunny day at the beach

Suppose to warm up and then a cool and rainy weekend.  We have our annual fundraiser for the library scheduled for Sunday. It is a nice family event and it helps to raise money for programs.  We will see, nothing to be done about weather.

I was a Camp Fire Girl. It is a great organization very similar to Girl Scouts. One of the pledges  was " I will always finish when I begin". It has always stuck with me and I use it often. 

Today we will cook corn beef and cabbage. We all enjoy it. I have a few friends coming over to join us.  My brother always came down over St Patricks Day so it is a little sad. I still miss him. We will raise a toast to him and all our other departed friends and relatives.

Stay safe and enjoy this St Patricks Day

Charlene

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick note as I need to run a quick errand this morning,.

DH seems okay and thanks to all of you for your concern.

We have no workers here today thanks to St. Patrick.  All of our workers come from Savannah where. St. Patrick takes priority over everything else today.

We both slept well and other than a bit of a pain on his left hip, Jim seems okay.  Thankfully there is a plush bath mat that he fell on rather than the ceramic tile.

More later.

Terri

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

Happy St. Pat’s from the Atlantic Ocean. Prayers for all in need.

Our voyage has two more sea days and then home.  Call to home revealed that DH had a fall when out with his caretaker but is just sore.  Caretaker was scared to death.  All seems well now.

Our trip has been fun — lots of sister time.  Best wishes to all.  Katherine 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

182A28D9-3C06-433D-AFB5-A25C1809FCB3.png.7d55d8dbe87cb056af4cfd9e19d17b3e.pngHappy St Patrick’s Day!  I made corned beef last week because I saw it on sale.  My DH said, why do we only have it once a year?  So I bought another one!  I’m not Catholic but the Archbishop of Baltimore has given Catholics in the city permission to eat meat for one Friday during Lent because St. Patrick’s Day falls on a Friday this year.

Halibut is one of my favorite fish and the recipes look delicious.  I often find the fish on a BHB to be overcooked but after speaking to the chef he said to order it rare.  Now I frequently order it that way in the Pinnacle and it comes out perfectly.

Want to see the beauty of life under the sea but you don’t snorkel or dive?  Try Atlantis Submarines available in several Caribbean ports.  I thought I would be claustrophobic but I was so mesmerized by the fish, I didn’t even think about it.

Thanks to all who regularly post.  Positive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️

• Like 27

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A quick good morning, and HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY before I run some errands.

Osaka was the port of the day at least once on February 1, 2022.  You can go to Kyoto from there.  I think you can also go to Kobe from Osaka.  Here is the link to Rich's @richwmn post.

Lenda

Well, if anyone is looking for Osaka photos they can also search May 24, 2021 when that was the first time it was the port of the day.  Here is the original link to that port.  

Debbie @dfish the big, black hairy things in your yard last night.  Was it Sasquatch?  Holy cow!

The Sasquatch: Bigger is Better - Beachcombing's Bizarre History Blog

Lorraine @cruising sister thanks for the photo of the little cuties and their smiles.

Gerry @ger_77 hope your computer problems are short lived.  So frustrating, isn't it?

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Was it Sasquatch?

Oh, please don't tell the Junior Cat about Sasquatch! She is already upset by the report that the DEC is trying to catch a troublesome bear in another suburb. That suburb is all the way across the city, but she is on alert.

• Like 10
  • Haha 14

25 minutes ago, 0106 said:

the Archbishop of Baltimore has given Catholics in the city permission to eat meat for one Friday during Lent because St. Patrick’s Day falls on a Friday this year.

Catholics in at least part of the Archdiocese of Detroit are allowed to eat muskrat on Fridays during Lent, and a few churches hold muskrat dinners:

A long-standing permission allows local Catholics to eat muskrat — a furry, marsh-dwelling rodent native to the area — "on days of abstinence, including Fridays of Lent," according to the Archdiocese of Detroit. The custom dates to the region's missionary history in the 1700s and is especially prevalent in communities along the Detroit River.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2019/04/16/catholics-permitted-eat-muskrat-during-lent/3485498002/

The Bishop of Lansing says that there is no formal permission, only custom, but “anyone who could eat muskrat was doing penance worthy of the greatest of the saints.”

https://www.detroitcatholic.com/news/the-history-of-detroit-catholics-muskrat-eating-tradition-and-yes-its-still-a-thing

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Good morning. We are off Half Moon Cay on our way to Princess Cruise private island to do an emergency evacuation of a passenger

Their island can accept a jet which will evacuate the patient to Miami. We have been sailing 22 knots to get to the island.  

Bon Voyage Redneck Bob! 🍾

Sandi great news for your DB. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

14 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning. We are off Half Moon Cay on our way to Princess Cruise private island to do an emergency evacuation of a passenger

Their island can accept a jet which will evacuate the patient to Miami. We have been sailing 22 knots to get to the island.  

Bon Voyage Redneck Bob! 🍾

Sandi great news for your DB. 

Nancy thanks for the update.  Prayers for the patient being evacuated today.  You won't be staying long at Princess's private island then?  I have your ship going straight to Fort Lauderdale arriving tomorrow morning.  Is that correct?

Edited by StLouisCruisers
correct location
  • Like 13

13 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Catholics in at least part of the Archdiocese of Detroit are allowed to eat muskrat on Fridays during Lent, and a few churches hold muskrat dinners:

A long-standing permission allows local Catholics to eat muskrat — a furry, marsh-dwelling rodent native to the area — "on days of abstinence, including Fridays of Lent," according to the Archdiocese of Detroit. The custom dates to the region's missionary history in the 1700s and is especially prevalent in communities along the Detroit River.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2019/04/16/catholics-permitted-eat-muskrat-during-lent/3485498002/

The Bishop of Lansing says that there is no formal permission, only custom, but “anyone who could eat muskrat was doing penance worthy of the greatest of the saints.”

https://www.detroitcatholic.com/news/the-history-of-detroit-catholics-muskrat-eating-tradition-and-yes-its-still-a-thing

Wow, I hardly know which reaction I should give to this post!  Do people in that area really enjoy muskrat for dinner?  Never heard of that before.  Funny quote from the Bishop of Lansing!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ottahand7 said:

@StLouisCruisers we are just stopping long enough to evacuate the patient then since we are so far ahead of schedule we can dawdle to FL for tomorrow's arrival.  No Princess ship in port here.  One was at HMC.  We were cleared through US customs onboard in St. Thomas. 

Very good.  I appreciate your reply.  Hope the packing goes well!

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, I hardly know which reaction I should give to this post!  Do people in that area really enjoy muskrat for dinner?  Never heard of that before.  Funny quote from the Bishop of Lansing!

The muskrat dinners are usually fund-raising events and I guess that enough people attend them to make it worthwhile.

In the 17th century, the Bishop of Quebec obtained a ruling that another semi-aquatic mammal, the beaver, could be eaten during lent, and there have been similar rulings about otters and capybaras.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Happy St. Patrick's Day! 

I will be making corned beef and cabbage later, in my Instant Pot. I'm not Catholic, but the Catholic Bishop here is allowing corned beef today, even though it's Lent. I like submarines, although after touring one it seemed so cramped (I'm not claustrophobic). I'll salute Camp Fire girls. No to the quote. Pass on the meal (fish) and drink. Yes to the wine (if someone buys it for me).

I haven't been to Kobe-Osaka.

It's been raining here since late last night. It's in the 40's now, but will be in the 30's over the weekend. I was at BFF's DD DF's house yesterday. We tossed a lot of stuff. I brought home one of 4 computers there, to try to get it up and running; I like the challenge. Then I'll likely donate it.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks to you and @richwmn for our Daily today. Good news on DB receiving his medication. DD's tree is wonderful, as usual.

@Crazy For Cats Sorry about the itinerary change on your cruise.

@grapau27 Thanks for the info on Submarine Day.

@aliaschief Happy Birthday to DGD!

@kazu Congrats on booking that cruise. Great memes.

@dfish I'm glad you got the assessment adjusted and the insurance coverage of your test straightened out. Hopefully the scan shows what needs to be seen today. A bear visiting?

@cruising sister Thanks for the cute pic of the grands.

@marshhawk That system being used for the telemarketing sounds awful and frustrating that the managers aren't getting it fixed.

@cunnorl Hugs as you toast your DB tonight.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad to hear DH seems ok after his fall. 

@Lady Hudson Oh no on DH's fall, but I'm glad he's ok. 

@kochleffel A big no to muskrat or beaver!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, 0106 said:

The link contains a recipe!

The writer Harriette Simpson Arnow had been a teacher in the Kentucky hills, where she boarded with a family. Once the children giggled all through dinner and finally said, "Teacher doesn't know what she's eating!" It was opossum, I mean O'Possum, and the way it had been prepared was similar to the way one of the Michigan churches prepares muskrat. She said that, after all the cleaning and soaking and boiling and frying, it could have been anything.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a mostly sunny and very windy central Texas.  It is 42F, but feels a lot colder with the wind chill.  We should be in the mid-50s this afternoon, and in he 50s and 60s for the next week.  

I will celebrate all the days, but I won't be cooking corned beef and cabbage, which I have done in years past.  This year, we will be having Rueben sandwiches for dinner, so the corned beef and cabbage will be present.  Not only have we been in several of the Atlantis submarines, we took their deep water submarine in Grand Cayman down to about 1000 feet.  It is an entirely different world down that deep.  If you ever want to take the former research sub, be sure you are with someone you know very well.  The two passengers sit in the front and are very close together with the captain behind them.  Although I was not a Camp Fire girl, I will celebrate the good work they do.

Today's quote is weird and is definitely from an earlier time.

DH likes halibut and would enjoy the meal, while I would probably cook a piece of salmon for me.  We'll pass on the drink, but would love to try the wine if not for the price.

We have been to Osaka twice.  The first time was at the end of a cruise on the old Regal Princess in 2000.  All we got to see of Osaka was from the bus and the windows in the hotel where they stashed us until time for our flights.  In 2002, on the Asia Pacific Explorer Cruise on Volendam, we had a long day and a late night in Osaka.  We looked around the town, took the train to Kyoto and visited the aquarium that night.  I'll repost my pictures in a little while.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I'm sorry your stop in Saint John was canceled.  I hope you get there in July.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I hope your DW enjoys her sisters cruise.  Loved the memes.

@summer slope  Great news about the FCC for your DH.

@dfish  Debbie, my first thought was a bear was casing the place.  Glad the patch helped.  I hope the parathyroids don't hide this time.

@cruising sister  Cute kids, Lorraine.

@marshhawk  Annie, I don't blame you for cutting your hours back with all the frustration of an non-working phone system.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad that your DH is all right today and just has a little pain in his hip.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, I'm glad your cruise is going well.  I'm sorry your DH fell, and I can only imagine how scary that was for his caretaker.  Glad he wasn't hurt.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for finding the other link to Osaka.  I guessed there was one, but didn't have time to look for it.

@rafinmd  Roy, Osaka is at the head of Osaka Bay, and Kobe on is the north side of Osaka Bay.  Kyoto is northeast of Osaka on the southern end of Biwa Lake.

@kochleffel  Paul, thanks for the information about the muskrat dinners.  I agree with the Bishop of Lansing, that those who eat the muskrats are doing a big penance.  In south Texas, the semi-aquatic animal is the Nutria, but I don't think many people eat them.  Nutria look similar to the muskrat.

@ottahand7  Nancy, enjoy your last day on board.  I hope the patient will be all right.

@RedneckBob  Hope you have a great cruise.

ship.jpg.a1cac65f65ebbe9639107b960f2dd9ab.jpg

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

We have been to Osaka twice, and missed the port in 2018.  In 2000, it was the disembarkation port for a trans Pacific cruise.  We did not see much of the city, as we were taken to hotel before our late afternoon flights, and were stuck in a banquet room.  We were there for a long day in 2002 on the APEC cruise on Volendam.  

We covered a lot of ground that day.  Early that morning, we took the train to Kyoto and spent several hours walking around and touring one of the many temples there.  We took a local train to Kyoto, which was very interesting.  We took the bullet train back to Osaka, and our car was mostly empty.  What a difference!  I'll post the Kyoto pictures in another post.

These first pictures were taken as we walked back from the train station.  It was a grey day and very  polluted.

IMG_0955.thumb.JPG.bba536fd83b48e9772220d41fc72e36e.JPG

IMG_0956.thumb.JPG.66beb7672a7bdba532d4bb039b51c493.JPG

IMG_0957.thumb.JPG.8a7011b6eb9ee4d5384186d0d91a8333.JPG

IMG_0959.thumb.JPG.9d01b5421168d971d1df11e7931dc0a3.JPG

IMG_0960.thumb.JPG.4ec580137e727de6957936343ecd6481.JPG

IMG_0961.thumb.JPG.dcbbcc64f46b05427d446322655e7f12.JPG

The giant Ferris wheel as seen from Volendam.  It was the first large one we saw.IMG_0967.thumb.JPG.b51b9eb145c4d1da2b047d527f33e6df.JPG

Back on board, we had dinner in the Lido, which at that time, you picked up your appetizer and salad, then placed your order which was cooked and delivered to your table.  After dinner we walked over to the aquarium and went through it.  The aquarium is multi-storied. You take an elevator to the top, and begin walking down a gently sloped ramp that circles a very, very large tank.  As you descend, the sea life changes from fish that live near the surface to the denizens of the deep.  This is the outside of the aquarium.

IMG_0970.thumb.JPG.1d836a1d51639f48b576d78a3ddbab88.JPG

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5