The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 17th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Evidently, I never got around to posting my Kyoto pictures on February 1, 2022.  I did post them on May 24, 2021.  Here is the link to the 5/24/21 Daily where Osaka was the port of the day.

Here are some of my pictures of Kyoto. 

These are the two trains we rode.  I did not get any pictures inside the first train, but it was crowded.  It looks like there were six others in our car on the bullet train.

IMG_0907.thumb.JPG.e41437bf2e7c6b6123ffed67e640b959.JPG

IMG_0954.thumb.JPG.59425e1d87d0d7cbe610d2ee33f78d75.JPG

IMG_0950.thumb.JPG.8572ada2621fc76b41865c490b498f6c.JPG

Scenes as we walked to the temple. 

IMG_0916.thumb.JPG.c34d5dd08215c0a4f845ed454e35ed0d.JPG

IMG_0919.thumb.JPG.5652d0ae44204c559f9ee0bcf6e01ff5.JPG

IMG_0920.thumb.JPG.829b0971e270cadbe179a5b92c800fd3.JPG

IMG_0922.thumb.JPG.aaa2d24640e8debfb0a00354ade4cd99.JPG

Pictures from the temple.  Sorry, I don't remember which temple out of the many temples in Kyoto we visited.

IMG_0937.thumb.JPG.04d95af090435cee489ece1409fd0caf.JPG

IMG_0928.thumb.JPG.06da8c048edda61572695a3ebd46e90a.JPG

IMG_0933.thumb.JPG.ddac48de2e0182d8de17631807388f6a.JPG

A view of Kyoto from the temple.

IMG_0931.thumb.JPG.e914496b76730cdc347bbf22dde9915c.JPG

The street leading to the temple

IMG_0936.thumb.JPG.ac5db29b8979acb97d100d1515ade828.JPG

Kyoto Station, where ironically, we found some very good Chinese food for lunch.

IMG_0941.thumb.JPG.4bbe20d763a583d312c016c866328bd7.JPG

IMG_0942.thumb.JPG.d1d714d463161125f9f8c2df8e646420.JPG

IMG_0944.thumb.JPG.08d1f7d0ab84d5ddb409f73291c87a0a.JPG

Kyoto as seen from the train station

IMG_0948.thumb.JPG.71f6513fc694da8566d26ab369ed87d1.JPG

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

A cold morning here new had a light dusting of snow overnight after the rain. I will wait to venture out. I am sure there is ice hiding under that snow. 

I do not like corned beef and cabbage. My mother loved it and made it every year. Here is a pick of the grands. DGS put his shirt on backwards so he could see the printing. 

640BE4FF-DBB1-4016-906A-BC9F03020C2C.jpeg

They are absolutely darling, Lorraine.

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just a quick note as I need to run a quick errand this morning,.

DH seems okay and thanks to all of you for your concern.

We have no workers here today thanks to St. Patrick.  All of our workers come from Savannah where. St. Patrick takes priority over everything else today.

We both slept well and other than a bit of a pain on his left hip, Jim seems okay.  Thankfully there is a plush bath mat that he fell on rather than the ceramic tile.

More later.

Terri

I am so glad to hear your DH is ok after the fall.  

4 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

This morning was solid meetings.  One more on the books.

Today I noticed another cc change.  After the longest time of not getting quote emails I’m now getting them, along with mentions.

image.thumb.png.b8ce1c742da7397cc8caf5b07d339edf.png

I've been getting emails, too.  I think when they changed the color of the bubble, they also changed our settings.  I went in and changed them back.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I don't care for corned beef or cabbage, so will pass on that.  Cured meats are off limits for me now anyway even if I did like it.  The closest I've been to a submarine is DH was the Supply Officer on a Sub-Tender in the Navy.  Some of our very good Navy friends were on subs.  I never was in Girl Scouts, but my DM worked in the Girl Scout office for awhile when I was small.

I love halibut and all the recipes but would leave out the olives.  Will pass on the drink and red wine, have never been to Japan.

Today will be the warmest yet of the year, up to a whopping 61!  So I've invited the neighbor ladies to come sit by our firepit to catch up on everyone's lives.  I've never gotten such quick responses!  I think we're all ready for winter to be over.

Something funny happened early this morning.  I was woken up by a loud bumping noise coming from downstairs.  Of course DH slept soundly all through it -- and all I could think was thank goodness for the home security alarm, because it couldn't be anyone in the house or the alarm would have gone off.  I ventured downstairs, the sound got louder, and then I saw it.  The Eufy robovac was bumping into the treadmill and everything else in the family room, directly under our bedroom.  I don't know how long it had been doing this.  Apparently when I used it briefly yesterday I pushed the "scheduled cleaning" button by accident.  😂

Jacqui @kazuYay about booking the cruise!  

Debbie @dfishWow about the big, black hairy thing!  Was it upright like Sasquatch or on all fours like a bear?  

Lorraine @cruising sisterAdorable grands!

Terri @Cruzin TerriI'm glad your DH is ok after his fall.  That had to be so scary.  We know very well about Savannah and St. Patrick's Day, Savannah is DH's hometown.  

Katherine @Lady Hudson I'm glad that your DH is ok after his fall!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Evidently, I never got around to posting my Kyoto pictures on February 1, 2022.  I did post them on May 24, 2021.  Here is the link to the 5/24/21 Daily where Osaka was the port of the day.

Here are some of my pictures of Kyoto. 

These are the two trains we rode.  I did not get any pictures inside the first train, but it was crowded.  It looks like there were six others in our car on the bullet train.

IMG_0907.thumb.JPG.e41437bf2e7c6b6123ffed67e640b959.JPG

IMG_0954.thumb.JPG.59425e1d87d0d7cbe610d2ee33f78d75.JPG

IMG_0950.thumb.JPG.8572ada2621fc76b41865c490b498f6c.JPG

Scenes as we walked to the temple. 

IMG_0916.thumb.JPG.c34d5dd08215c0a4f845ed454e35ed0d.JPG

IMG_0919.thumb.JPG.5652d0ae44204c559f9ee0bcf6e01ff5.JPG

IMG_0920.thumb.JPG.829b0971e270cadbe179a5b92c800fd3.JPG

IMG_0922.thumb.JPG.aaa2d24640e8debfb0a00354ade4cd99.JPG

Pictures from the temple.  Sorry, I don't remember which temple out of the many temples in Kyoto we visited.

IMG_0937.thumb.JPG.04d95af090435cee489ece1409fd0caf.JPG

IMG_0928.thumb.JPG.06da8c048edda61572695a3ebd46e90a.JPG

IMG_0933.thumb.JPG.ddac48de2e0182d8de17631807388f6a.JPG

A view of Kyoto from the temple.

IMG_0931.thumb.JPG.e914496b76730cdc347bbf22dde9915c.JPG

The street leading to the temple

IMG_0936.thumb.JPG.ac5db29b8979acb97d100d1515ade828.JPG

Kyoto Station, where ironically, we found some very good Chinese food for lunch.

IMG_0941.thumb.JPG.4bbe20d763a583d312c016c866328bd7.JPG

IMG_0942.thumb.JPG.d1d714d463161125f9f8c2df8e646420.JPG

IMG_0944.thumb.JPG.08d1f7d0ab84d5ddb409f73291c87a0a.JPG

Kyoto as seen from the train station

IMG_0948.thumb.JPG.71f6513fc694da8566d26ab369ed87d1.JPG

Lenda

Great photos Lenda.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I wondered why my DS kept asking us if we would watch the parade on local TV today. He lives in New Hampshire and is a School Superintendent. Well, the high school in his district has a very good marching band and they were marching down Fifth Avenue a few minutes ago. It is at least a four and a half  hour trip one way so they must have been up very early. It was so much fun to see.

• Like 21

Good morning and Happy Friday and St Patrick’s Day!  

I just started my Corned Beef in the crockpot but we won’t be having cabbage. Craig doesn’t like it and it’s a waste to make just for me to eat just once. I buy my corned beef at TJ’s and it’s uncured, so Carolyn @Cruising-along it might be okay for you to eat. 

Jake @Crazy For Cats, I’m sorry about the change in your itinerary. St John was one of our favorite ports last cruise. I wonder what the reason was. 

Have a great day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone who is Irish, and all the wannabe's as well.  I think everyone is part Irish today.  I'll pass on the corned beef & cabbage - I don't care for corned beef any time, so DH will have to enjoy it at a restaurant or in the corned beef hash on a BHB at breakfast time. 

I can't do submarines; a number of years we were in Vancouver and there was a sub at the dock where for a price ($$) you could tour it, with the proceeds going to a local charity.  Well, I mustered up my courage, DH went down the hatch first, our DS went next, and I took about 5 steps down before my anxiety took over and I scampered out of there faster than you could imagine.  I still get the willies just thinking about it.  The people on the dock wanted to give me my money back, but I told them to keep it, it was a donation I was more than happy to make if I didn't have to go into the submarine.

I have a sick sense of humour, so I actually chuckled at today's quote.  

might have fixed my computer issue - it seems the email from my internet provider keeps repopulating the deleted emails, causing my inbox to become over the limit.  I'm going to keep an eye on it to see if it happens yet again (I've had it happen twice already), and I might have to delete the program and reinstall it.  I know our old computer was seriously past it's prime, but it didn't give me the grief this new one has.

@kazuI'm delighted to hear you've booked another cruise; if necessary, find a bubble wrap suit to wear until then!  

@cruising sisterthanks for sharing your sweet little leprechauns!

@bennybearI have to agree with you; Kyoto is one of my favourite places on the planet as well.

@dfishBig black and hairy?  Yikes!  Do you have a security camera?  Maybe it's time to get one!

So this morning I needed to iron a scarf (ironing is something I haven't done in ages), so I plugged in the iron and . . . it's dead.  I'm sure it died from neglect, as I don't recall the last time I actually used it.  I have a second one I use for sewing, so I put that to use and will let DH take apart the old one for the cord and whatever else he can salvage from the innards.  We're off in a couple of hours to the funeral where DH and our friend will sing What a Wonderful World.  I know there will be lunch following the service, so I'm not planning on anything for dinner tonight.  I think later this evening we'll have a light snack and that's all.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

I wondered why my DS kept asking us if we would watch the parade on local TV today. He lives in New Hampshire and is a School Superintendent. Well, the high school in his district has a very good marching band and they were marching down Fifth Avenue a few minutes ago. It is at least a four and a half  hour trip one way so they must have been up very early. It was so much fun to see.

That is awesome Terry!  Your DS can really keep a secret!  Congrats to that marching band for being invited.

6 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone who is Irish, and all the wannabe's as well.  I think everyone is part Irish today.  I'll pass on the corned beef & cabbage - I don't care for corned beef any time, so DH will have to enjoy it at a restaurant or in the corned beef hash on a BHB at breakfast time. 

I can't do submarines; a number of years we were in Vancouver and there was a sub at the dock where for a price ($$) you could tour it, with the proceeds going to a local charity.  Well, I mustered up my courage, DH went down the hatch first, our DS went next, and I took about 5 steps down before my anxiety took over and I scampered out of there faster than you could imagine.  I still get the willies just thinking about it.  The people on the dock wanted to give me my money back, but I told them to keep it, it was a donation I was more than happy to make if I didn't have to go into the submarine.

I have a sick sense of humour, so I actually chuckled at today's quote.  

might have fixed my computer issue - it seems the email from my internet provider keeps repopulating the deleted emails, causing my inbox to become over the limit.  I'm going to keep an eye on it to see if it happens yet again (I've had it happen twice already), and I might have to delete the program and reinstall it.  I know our old computer was seriously past it's prime, but it didn't give me the grief this new one has.

@kazuI'm delighted to hear you've booked another cruise; if necessary, find a bubble wrap suit to wear until then!  

@cruising sisterthanks for sharing your sweet little leprechauns!

@bennybearI have to agree with you; Kyoto is one of my favourite places on the planet as well.

@dfishBig black and hairy?  Yikes!  Do you have a security camera?  Maybe it's time to get one!

So this morning I needed to iron a scarf (ironing is something I haven't done in ages), so I plugged in the iron and . . . it's dead.  I'm sure it died from neglect, as I don't recall the last time I actually used it.  I have a second one I use for sewing, so I put that to use and will let DH take apart the old one for the cord and whatever else he can salvage from the innards.  We're off in a couple of hours to the funeral where DH and our friend will sing What a Wonderful World.  I know there will be lunch following the service, so I'm not planning on anything for dinner tonight.  I think later this evening we'll have a light snack and that's all.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I must have a sick sense of humor too because I thought the quote was humorous as well.  It surprised me at the reaction from most here.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Interesting selection of ports today.  The Westerdam will be in Osaka on 7 and 8 April and then stop at Kobe on 12 April.  We will probably take the train to Kyoto while the ship is in Osaka.  In 1963 we honeymooned at Kyoto for a few days.  We were married in Taipei in March, but the government there didn't allow it's citizens to travel out of the country for pleasure as they were technically at war with China.  So when we were transferred back to the U.S. I took leave on the way back in Japan for our honeymoon.  We will celebrate our 60th this month when the ship is at Naha, Okinawa.

Ray

• Like 20

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie @dfish the big, black hairy things in your yard last night.  Was it Sasquatch?  Holy cow!

The Sasquatch: Bigger is Better - Beachcombing's Bizarre History Blog

My big black hairy thing was not walking upright, so I don't think it is Sasquatch.  Maybe an oversized squirrel?   It was too small to be a full grown bear and would have had mama with it if it were a baby.  No signs of mama.  I'll have to keep watch after dark.  This was around 4 am.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a mostly sunny and very windy central Texas.  It is 42F, but feels a lot colder with the wind chill.  We should be in the mid-50s this afternoon, and in he 50s and 60s for the next week.  

I will celebrate all the days, but I won't be cooking corned beef and cabbage, which I have done in years past.  This year, we will be having Rueben sandwiches for dinner, so the corned beef and cabbage will be present.  Not only have we been in several of the Atlantis submarines, we took their deep water submarine in Grand Cayman down to about 1000 feet.  It is an entirely different world down that deep.  If you ever want to take the former research sub, be sure you are with someone you know very well.  The two passengers sit in the front and are very close together with the captain behind them.  Although I was not a Camp Fire girl, I will celebrate the good work they do.

Today's quote is weird and is definitely from an earlier time.

DH likes halibut and would enjoy the meal, while I would probably cook a piece of salmon for me.  We'll pass on the drink, but would love to try the wine if not for the price.

We have been to Osaka twice.  The first time was at the end of a cruise on the old Regal Princess in 2000.  All we got to see of Osaka was from the bus and the windows in the hotel where they stashed us until time for our flights.  In 2002, on the Asia Pacific Explorer Cruise on Volendam, we had a long day and a late night in Osaka.  We looked around the town, took the train to Kyoto and visited the aquarium that night.  I'll repost my pictures in a little while.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I'm sorry your stop in Saint John was canceled.  I hope you get there in July.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I hope your DW enjoys her sisters cruise.  Loved the memes.

@summer slope  Great news about the FCC for your DH.

@dfish  Debbie, my first thought was a bear was casing the place.  Glad the patch helped.  I hope the parathyroids don't hide this time.

@cruising sister  Cute kids, Lorraine.

@marshhawk  Annie, I don't blame you for cutting your hours back with all the frustration of an non-working phone system.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad that your DH is all right today and just has a little pain in his hip.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, I'm glad your cruise is going well.  I'm sorry your DH fell, and I can only imagine how scary that was for his caretaker.  Glad he wasn't hurt.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for finding the other link to Osaka.  I guessed there was one, but didn't have time to look for it.

@rafinmd  Roy, Osaka is at the head of Osaka Bay, and Kobe on is the north side of Osaka Bay.  Kyoto is northeast of Osaka on the southern end of Biwa Lake.

@kochleffel  Paul, thanks for the information about the muskrat dinners.  I agree with the Bishop of Lansing, that those who eat the muskrats are doing a big penance.  In south Texas, the semi-aquatic animal is the Nutria, but I don't think many people eat them.  Nutria look similar to the muskrat.

@ottahand7  Nancy, enjoy your last day on board.  I hope the patient will be all right.

@RedneckBob  Hope you have a great cruise.

ship.jpg.a1cac65f65ebbe9639107b960f2dd9ab.jpg

Lenda

Thanks Linda. Unfortunately I had to cancel the cruise late yesterday. Everyone have a Happy St Patrick’s Day !

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Good day everyone and happy St Patrick's Day to you all. 

The posts about what is permitted during lent reminded me of a story in Cork..

During the late 1960's Ireland was still in fear of the Catholic Church and obligation led to all catholics adhering to its teachings fastidiously.

Well, the Archbishop of Cork, one Cornelius (Conny) Lucey, decreed that "one meal and two collations" was all that was permitted during lent. A 'collation' would be a cup of tea and a digestive biscuit.  However one enterprising bakery in Cork started producing biscuits that were about 6 inches in diameter, thus sticking to the edict but......

They became known as 'Conny Dodgers'! 🙄😁

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Just popping in quickly as off to an appointment.  Kyoto is one of our favourite places on this globe. 

94034964-192E-4C72-B909-E5BEC4020B30.jpeg

644B0759-0E12-4C7F-9468-17A287AA6787.jpeg

00733241-751B-4966-87E1-8090CD429482.jpeg

4915DBC0-41FE-4A33-B349-AE9E2EF044B8.jpeg

C0D0743A-AFE5-490B-B1B5-1F66A9096EFA.jpeg

34773C63-252A-45E3-8495-FACE6B2B9A35.jpeg

5156D60C-BE2F-4551-B172-2DAF8BFFEE37.jpeg

BFB2E164-F85D-4994-847E-61558DC67AE4.jpeg

56946852-922E-43D3-9450-77FE284CDFE4.jpeg

DFC3520A-A64F-4519-B4F1-8F8361D9674C.jpeg

Brenda, thanks for the pictures.  We enjoyed our day in Kyoto.

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Great photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry, your DS certainly can keep a secret.  What an honor for the band.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That is awesome Terry!  Your DS can really keep a secret!  Congrats to that marching band for being invited.

Gerry, I must have a sick sense of humor too because I thought the quote was humorous as well.  It surprised me at the reaction from most here.

Sandi and Gerry @ger_77 while I thought the quote was a little weird and referred to another time, I also thought it was funny.

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks Linda. Unfortunately I had to cancel the cruise late yesterday. Everyone have a Happy St Patrick’s Day !

RNB, I'm sorry you had to cancel your cruise.  I respect your wishes to not go into details, but I sincerely hope it is nothing very serious and that everything turns out well and soon.

36 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Good day everyone and happy St Patrick's Day to you all. 

The posts about what is permitted during lent reminded me of a story in Cork..

During the late 1960's Ireland was still in fear of the Catholic Church and obligation led to all catholics adhering to its teachings fastidiously.

Well, the Archbishop of Cork, one Cornelius (Conny) Lucey, decreed that "one meal and two collations" was all that was permitted during lent. A 'collation' would be a cup of tea and a digestive biscuit.  However one enterprising bakery in Cork started producing biscuits that were about 6 inches in diameter, thus sticking to the edict but......

They became known as 'Conny Dodgers'! 🙄😁

Have a great day everyone!

People will always find a way to get around edicts they don't like.  The bakery was very clever.

22 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

When you’re born on St Patrick’s Day every birthday can be a big celebration. Ms Artemis aka Arty. She’s pretty independent and sassy but she loves her Pop Pop. She’s growing fast since these pics. ❤️

image.thumb.jpeg.45c8d7661ffd3c8ce9bd8a8d7601bf64.jpeg

Bruce, another cutie.  I can see imp written all over her face. 😉

Lenda 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon, friends, and thanks to all Dailyites for the news of the day!  It's DH's "feast day", and we plan to go to our complex's Friday Happy Hour, so I'll just take some sandwiches and fake wine (apple juice).  No corned beef and cabbage.  I've only been in Tokyo airport, but I sailed on a Japanese "cruise" ship from Shanghai to Goa, India, when we were prisoners of war, so that is enough for me.

image004.png.72f6f4855228dcc1f59a88934c640316.png

d490752f-5dad-471b-8b87-486d1ea1933f.jpg.d06bbc2027f06ae5866b12fd46b9646c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 9

45 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

When you’re born on St Patrick’s Day every birthday can be a big celebration. Ms Artemis aka Arty. She’s pretty independent and sassy but she loves her Pop Pop. She’s growing fast since these pics. ❤️

image.thumb.jpeg.45c8d7661ffd3c8ce9bd8a8d7601bf64.jpeg

Adorable!

@RedneckBob I'm sorry about your cruise.  Hugs that everything works out for you.

• Like 15