The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 25th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Feast of the Annunciation, Pecan Day, and Waffle Day

It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default.  J.K. Rowling

Meal Suggestion for today - Seared Salmon with Strawberry Basil Relish
Drink of the Day - Cruzan Coquito
Wine of the Day - Butterworth Riesling Martinborough Dry 2022
Destination of the Day - Sandnessjoen, Norway

Eurodam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

San Diego, California 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Freeport, Bahamas 0800-1600

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Coquimbo, La Serena, Chile 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Basseterre, St. Kitts 0800-1700

Volendam

St Georges, Grenada 0800-1600

Zaandam

San Diego, California 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

Takoradi, Ghana 08:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Tauranga, Rotorua, New Zealand 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Yokohama, Tokyo, Japan Kanagawa eta 3-27

image.thumb.png.2c237df3c017e55c7f33a87c95631de2.png

image.thumb.png.e02d68cb9db7e4aa00f2e48daef21bc1.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia and working on getting stronger

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye surgery March 28

Mamaofami recovering from cataract surgery

Cruzin Terri with PMR flare

Bennybear’s test results

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Cruising sister with uncomfortable hand splint

Jacqui recovering from elbow surgery 

Marshhawk’s abnormal lung scan and COPD

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Welcome back Seasick Sailor – safe travels home

Welcome back 57redbird - safe travels home

Welcome back Seagarsmoker – safe travels home

Ger_77 DH awarded the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Medal

Dfish doing very well after surgery

0106 (Tina) pitching in on the meal suggestions of the day

Many Dailyites with upcoming cruises

2 Days for USN59-79 (Westerdam 3/27 to 5/7)

4 Days for Cruzn single (Rotterdam 3/29 to 4/19)

4 Days for Vict0riann (Rotterdam 3/29 to 4/19) 

4 Days for Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam 3/29 to 4/29)

DWAliaschief’s sisters cruise (Rotterdam to 3/29), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), Kplady (Grand Princess to 4/28), St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2) and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 19
  • Thanks 20

Good morning friends!  It's Saturday!  This morning we have a temp of 65F with some rain/storms coming through perhaps 8 am to 11 am.  High will be 80 and the afternoon should be sunny. Thank you to Rich @richwmn for our Fleet Report and Daily info for us to post.  I hope he is having an interesting day in Takoradi, Ghana today.

On our Daily we have Feast of the Annunciation, Pecan Day and Waffle Day to celebrate.  That means Easter is coming up quickly.  Easter is the day after my birthday in 2023, the same as it was the year I was born.  Our big sister was thrilled to hear two babies were coming home as an Easter surprise.  I love pecans, and am quite fond of waffles too.  The quote by J.K. Rowling is true.  I'm sure the recipes for the strawberry basil relish for the seared salmon will be interesting and varied.  Someone always seems to change the concept because of personal dislikes of ingredients.  I'll pass on the mixed drink and wine today.  And can you believe it, another day with a port we haven't had before on the Daily?  I haven't heard of Sandnessjoen, Norway before so looks like a new spot for me to go to someday.  No links or photos necessary this morning so I will be on the treadmill very early I guess.  

Prayers for our Care list today as always.  Hoping for successful surgeries and recoveries, and relief from pain.  And congrats to those on the Celebration list!  Welcome home to our friend Joy (and Allen) @Seasick Sailor, @57redbird, and @seagarsmoker.  We know you all had a blast!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for taking care of our lists.  And thanks to the Food and Beverage Department ladies.  We couldn't have a Daily without you.❤️

I'm up early enough to watch Eurodam and Nieuw Statendam sail into Port Everglades this morning so I think I'll do that right now.  Hope everyone has a Successful Saturday!  I forgot yesterday when I said DH and I should take the weekend off that we always do laundry on Saturday, then wash linens on Sunday.  Have to keep up with the schedule.  Off to see Eurodam!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

It is raining heavily here at 09.50am.

Our clocks go forward 1 hour at 2am Sunday.

Thank you Sandi for introducing today's daily reports.

Pecan and waffles are nice.

Interesting quote.

Today's food and wine sound nice.

Best wishes to all Dailyites.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230325_094640.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Thank you Sandi for getting us started early every morning while Rich is cruising and to all who contribute to the Daily.   Debbie will be back tomorrow, I have enjoyed filling in for her.   Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Salmon is the superfood of the sea. Salmon is known for being a protein-rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which help fight inflammation, lower blood pressure, and reduce the risk for disease. The protein in salmon helps you to stay satisfied, and helps your body to heal after an injury, and repair and rebuild muscle. Salmon is packed with B vitamins; it’s one of the best sources of vitamin B12 which helps to turn the food you eat into energy. And it is a good source of other B vitamins like niacin and B6 which are critical for brain development and keeps the nervous system and immune system healthy. Salmon contains potassium, which helps to fight bloat and regulate blood pressure; selenium, which helps with bone health and protects against cancer; vitamin D for strong bones;  iron for growth; and an antioxidant called astaxanthin, which may help keep the brain, heart, skin, and nervous system healthy.

Salmon isn't packed with mercury like other types of fish. It can contain PCBs which are industrial chemicals that have been shown to cause adverse health effects. If you're worried about ingesting PCBs, pay attention to the type of salmon you buy. Farm-raised salmon have higher levels of PCBs than wild-caught salmon, so try to choose wild salmon vs farm-raised when it’s an option. 

We are just starting to get some delicious strawberries from Florida.  Leftover strawberry relish would be delicious on a toasted bagel or some bruschetta with goat cheese or feta. 

Here is an easy recipe that will take less than 10 minutes. Seared Salmon with Strawberry Basil Relish Recipe

image.png.11024e38f483ae9bfef345039ee2b90e.png

This one adds a balsamic glaze to the salmon. Balsamic Glazed Salmon with Strawberry Relish » Sea Salt Savorings

image.thumb.png.b325064c75d5ce070e15cfb3c1acdd16.png

This salmon is served over a salad. Seared Salmon Salad with Strawberry-Basil Relish - JTA Wellness; San Antonio Dietitians

image.thumb.png.68f7e236eba0aeb0c3e093a22c8c93d7.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  The kids let me sleep in until 5:30 and then Amelia decided that was late enough and started howling until I got out of bed.  We are expecting rain later this morning, hopefully I can run my errands before it starts.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion and will roast a chicken for dinner.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.44cf04790b5ee51c73d77d522320380d.png

• Like 24
  • Haha 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

We've got a Freezing Rain Warning and a Special Weather Statement about high winds for later today.  I hope it isn't too bad and the power stays on.

I love waffles and pecans.  Yum!

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good.  Thanks for the recipes.

I'll pass on the drink.  I'm looking forward to reading about the wine.

I haven't been to today's port, thanks in advance for pictures.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Good morning everyone. I’m having some issues with getting my eye drops in my eye and managed to put one of them in the wrong eye. Otherwise,I’m recovering slowly but ok. Saw the surgeon yesterday and he put in more drops to lower the pressure but said the surgery went very well.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 35

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC.

It’s Pecan Day. Is it pronounce pee-can or puh-kahn. Who cares, it’s delicious no matter how you say it. Besides I know the difference between a nut and peeing in a can!

I grew up on pecans with two pecan trees in our yard that would produce 50 lbs of nuts every couple of years. Getting them to fail was a real trick. Daddy had me climb the tree and shake the limbs. He said if I fall I will catch you. 😳

And Waffle Day! Love my waffles. I think I will go to the house for waffles, or go to Waffle House.

• Like 26

Cruzan Coquito cocktail:

Ingredients
1 ½ cups Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
1 can Evaporated Milk
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 can Cream of Coconut
¼ tsp Cinnamon
⅛ tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Garnish: Cinnamon Stick,
Shredded Coconut

Instructions
Mix all ingredients in a blender at high speed. Pour into an airtight container. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours. Shake well before serving.

Serve cold in a cocktail glass, garnish with a cinnamon stick and shredded coconut.

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 7.21.44 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 13

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Dixie, Ann, and Debbie/Tina.  I have not been to Sandnessjoen.  I'm not really familiar with the Feast (Thanks, Graham) and enjoy but rarely have pecans.  I love the quote but since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the meal.  Carol, good luck with the eye drops.  I'll pass on my usual alternative for the day.  My revised alternative is a freshly made Lido waffle with mixed berry topping as served on MS Eurodam November 15, 2022

waffle.jpg

While it looks small it is quite thick and substantial.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Good morning,

I am up early and DGS is still asleep. He insisted on a sleepover last night. I promised we would go out for breakfast and waffles sound good. 

I lasted about 4 hours in the  brace and took it off. Oh well, I tried. I found petting Molly is a good hand exercise. She is a willing participant. 

How do you watch the sail always?  I thought people who commented on it lived in Florida. Silly me!

I am contemplating buying some AARP Holland America gift cards to start paying off my Grand Australia Cruise. I am afraid to get to many in case I need to cancel and end up with a lot of money on the books. Anyone have experience with using them?

I hope everyone has a great Saturday and prayers to all that need them. 

• Like 26

Thank you for getting us started, Sandi! And a huge thanks to Rich for making sure we could keep going in his absence. Just a heads up - tomorrow will be our 3rd Annual International Dailyites Day! Boy have we morphed into something wonderful during the past three years!

It was 62 this morning when Bindi & I headed out. The Eastern sky was just getting a tint of color and we encountered several very pregnant does heading out for breakfast. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping track of us so well! @0106 Tina, thank you for feeding us so well, while Debbie recuperates. 

My landscaper comes this morning to tour my yard and we can document what I want removed. Those 20 degree temps in December, were too much for quite a few things. Then I need to figure out what I want to put in their place. I know some things. Later today I’ll be taking my Sister out to celebrate her birthday. We will go someplace along the ocean. And it will be a gorgeous day for it. 

DA96DB44-46B3-43DC-BEC2-B089E9EA3FF9.jpeg.95c4b63cfa9ad9e99072d1ea705550bd.jpeg

57DFA553-28D1-4523-835D-F6C911E0187A.jpeg.ea04ecfe274b597f9ea5ab2f63a3762e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Butterworth Riesling Martinborough Dry 2022

Another elusive New Zealand wine. Consumers love this one. I found one online distributor who might ship to me, offering it for $21.86. I suspect shipping would more than double the price. 

Raymond Chan’s review

Bright, even, pale yellow. This has a concentrated, gentle bouquet with aromas of citrus, zest, tropical fruit, floral and minerals. Medium-light bodied, bone dry to taste, focused aromas of lime, lime peels, melded with blossom, stony minerals and lingering with pink guava. The fruit is concentrated with a taut citrus core and underlined tropical fruit, delicate blossom. Stony minerals and acid tension drives with focus and appears almost unctuous, leaving a lengthy, textural finish. This is an impressive Riesling with depth, length and precision, a citrus core and a mineral-textured palate. Match with oysters and clams over the next 10 years. 10.5% alc. 19/20 pts (95 pts) 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the daily report and lists. Pecans and waffles are two foods that I enjoy. I like the quote, so true.  The meal suggestion sounds really interesting as does today’s drink.  I have not been to today’s port. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events todat!🎉

• Like 23

Thanks for the daily, Sandi.

I think the Rowling quote suits me very well.  Spent the day trying to get the spread sheet converted - it converted but I can’t get a link to publish it.  GRRR.  I was starting to pull my hair out.

490EADA2-D082-48E2-A8F1-AD6B563D6F47.jpeg.efb3e993c9d951c27013f2449595e296.jpeg

To say I was ready to pitch both my laptop and Ipads last night is an understatement.

77177F7F-9B93-4FB2-B1AF-B0D078ED9A9A.jpeg.e00a2b4add5ad816bd160231bf6ebfe4.jpeg

The fact that it was the anniversary of Marley’s death didn’t help matters, I am sure.

Just a quick post as - Now, I am seriously behind.  Need to prep food for a surprise birthday party and get things done in time.  The stupid spread sheet will have to wait.

I’ll try to drop back later to catch up.  Prayers for everyone on the Care list & a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

150A29CE-6625-40CA-9C74-90B234587490.thumb.jpeg.3ff5f5baaff0817e28509265729019e7.jpeg

Have a good Saturday everyone !!!!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

30 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

How do you watch the sail always?

Go to https://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/  about the time mentioned in the thread that tells which ship(s) will be in Port Everglades. The URL is also posted in the thread.  The ship(s) usually don't leave at the exact time listed, so there are usually a few comments on the thread about other ships leaving as well.

Some are up early enough to watch the ships come in as well.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  The sky is SO dark and there is thunder rumbling around,   I think this is odd, as the weather woman just said that the storms are south of us and heading east...Take care @StLouisCruisers!  We did have very heavy rain around 6:45 it almost covered the sound of DH snoring...which is odd, I'm the snorer.

While I like waffles, this morning we are having left over" Over night French Toast Casserole"  which i started making Thursday night, baked it yesterday for breakfast, it was so beautiful, rose like a good souffle.  But there are left overs, and now we will find out how well it does being microwaved....

The salmon dish looks good, I do like my fish well done, and while the salmon curry last week was great, I normally make it with Vermont maple syrup, a dash of soy sauce and ground pecans on top.  Besides quiche, pecan pie is the only thing I will make that requires an actual pie shell, and I buy those pre made..

Prayers to all  to those in Mississippi that were affected by the tornado.  Today I work until 5:30, and after reading a review of best chicken sandwiches, DH and I are going to try the Popeyes chicken sandwich.  I learned yesterday that Chick Fil A is getting rid of their side salad, a  staple in this house.  Turns out that they are "downsizing" their menu, and another item that i loved is being dropped and replaced with a larger kale salad.  I'm not that fond of kale.  I know it's a health food, but they serve fried chicken, how healthy do we have to be?

Have a great day everyone!

0tqio-sm15.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 28
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

I am contemplating buying some AARP Holland America gift cards to start paying off my Grand Australia Cruise. I am afraid to get to many in case I need to cancel and end up with a lot of money on the books. Anyone have experience with using them?

I have quite a few and will purchase two more sets before final payment. I used a lot to pay off my current cruise, luckily my TA was more than patient in applying them to the cruise.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  One of our favourite things on an IHOP menu is the pecan waffles - although we haven't been to one in years, as there aren't any close to us.  I think the last time was when we took a driving trip to visit our friends in North Carolina; we might have stopped at every pancake and waffle house along the way.  LOL  Wow, today's drink sounds like it would be very sweet, much like eggnog.

To start the day, DH would like to thank everyone for their congratulatory wishes yesterday; I read all of them to him and he said he was humbled by the responses from people who don't even know him.  I told him I was part of a caring community where we celebrate the highs and lows in our lives, and the common thread is that we all love to cruise.  I can't believe it's going to be 3 years tomorrow that the Daily threads began!

There's not a lot going on for us today, except staying warm; right now we're back at -21C and we can expect similar overnight low temperatures throughout the coming week.  The saving grace is that we've got lots of sunshine so it isn't gloomy as well as cold. 

I love today's menu suggestion and am going to make the strawberry relish the next time we have salmon.  Thank you @0106 for stepping in for Debbie; you've done a great job keeping our recipe books filled with great tasting delights!   Last night I was thinking about what to make for tonight's dinner when DH suggested that to celebrate his award, we head to the new little restaurant across the city where the specialty is schnitzel - like last Saturday.  Who am I to argue when it gets me out of the kitchen?  So it's looking like we'll be having schnitzel with jaeger sauce and salads at the restaurant tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, and cheers to all with celebrations.  Welcome home to all our Daily family coming off cruises and Bon Voyage to those embarking today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry  

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1