Where's your next cruise?

jules815

My husband and I are recently retired and finally have the time to do some longer itineraries. We were just discussing our next cruise, a B2B on an MSC ship in their Yacht Club, eastern/western Caribbean (yawn). This cruise is more about us getting away after caring for my 97 year old father in-law for the past couple of years and we know 2 weeks in the YC will still be a nice getaway. My husband's referring to this trip as our "Caribbean Swan Song." (Although we haven't done the ABC's yet. 🤔)

We also have a Transatlantic booked on ASCENT for next year. Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona. (We did our first TA in 2016 and loved it.) Still haven't been to England, so thinking our next TA would be something starting or ending in Southampton so we could add some days there. We've sailed the most with RC, Celebrity, and a few times with Carnival and MSC. Have no problem with trying a different line. Don't really have any interest in an Alaska cruise.

So where's your next cruise, and if you could do or recommend something other than an eastern/western Caribbean itinerary, what would it be?

• Thanks 1

If you want to try Caribbean again I definitely recommend the ABC's.  By far my favorite Caribbean sailings!  Can't imagine someone not being interested in Alaska as that is one of my favorites also!  But given that you might not be interested either in one of my other favorites, Norway.  Outstandingly beautiful!

• Like 2

We're getting ready to leave for a 33-day Transpacific B3B cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse which you are more than welcome to follow along on the Live From thread I currently have going. Then in July we're doing a 17-day B2B around Japan on the Diamond Princess, a 22-day B2B Canada/New England/Caribbean cruise in October on the Caribbean Princess, a 10-day Galapagos cruise in December on the Celebrity Flora, followed by a 30-day B2B Antarctica/South America cruise on the Sapphire Princess.

But then again we're cruiseaholics. I guess my point is there are plenty of itineraries out there, if you have a little extra time. 🙂

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

Having been a care-giver in the past, I understand the stresses you've been under and I know you need this break. I hope you enjoy every moment of your upcoming cruise.

Soon, DH and I and some dear friends will be on our way on a TA to Barcelona. Then, after exploring Spain for awhile, we will hop back on board and head to Rome. First TA for DH and I but we look forward to returning to Europe, especially Barcelona.

Alaska is a wonderful place to visit but it might not be the right time for that with the ports struggling to find enough staff. May I ask why you aren't interested? Is it the cold? If the cold isn't a problem, maybe Vancouver would be a good place. Explore Whistler, Vancouver, etc. That's one area we're interested in pursuing next year.

Our preferred cruise line is Celebrity cruises, but, since we both live on a retirement budget, we frequently sail on Carnival.

This Saturday, we are leaving out of Port Canaveral on the Mardi Gras for seven days.  In  November, we splurged for a suite and we are on a ten day on the Silhouette.

Edited by aml3679

We enjoy sailing "on this side of the pond now"  .  We have A few cruises set over the next few months.  First, one in August from NJ to the Caribbean on the Oasis of the Seas, then from Ft. Lauderdale in January on the Celebrity Silhouette 9 days caribbean.  We recently did a b/2/b cruise on the Celebrity Apex.  A wonderful ship!  I highly recommend it.  Then we have a cruise planned in March on the Icon of the Seas.  We truly love Celebrity- Royal our second favorite.  I haven't heard great things about MSC from friends who have sailed on that line.  Would highly discourage sailings on Carnival or her sister Princess.  We also were very disappointed with NCL and stayed in the haven- expensive and not nearly as nice as Celebrity or Royal Oasis class ships.  This is my opinion- others night have different experiences.  Enjoy your cruises. 

18 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

If you want to try Caribbean again I definitely recommend the ABC's.  By far my favorite Caribbean sailings!  Can't imagine someone not being interested in Alaska as that is one of my favorites also!  But given that you might not be interested either in one of my other favorites, Norway.  Outstandingly beautiful!

Hi neighbor. We're in Cary. Yes, Norway/Fjords is definitely on our radar. I guess never say never about Alaska. 

• Like 1

If you're looking for a cruise out of Southampton, we did one last year which we loved!

A 14 night cruise on Silhouette, departing from Southampton, we went in Guernsey,  Scotland, Northern and Southern Ireland, and also Iceland, prior to return in Southampton.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We're getting ready to leave for a 33-day Transpacific B3B cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse which you are more than welcome to follow along on the Live From thread I currently have going. Then in July we're doing a 17-day B2B around Japan on the Diamond Princess, a 22-day B2B Canada/New England/Caribbean cruise in October on the Caribbean Princess, a 10-day Galapagos cruise in December on the Celebrity Flora, followed by a 30-day B2B Antarctica/South America cruise on the Sapphire Princess.

But then again we're cruiseaholics. I guess my point is there are plenty of itineraries out there, if you have a little extra time. 🙂

Amazing!!

Leaving in 2 weeks for Singapore to sail to Athens through the Suez 23 days.  I would recommend a Hawaii cruise. Celebrity sails from Vancouver in Sept if you'd like to see Vancouver and then cruise to a warm place instead of Alaska.  Our favourite so far was Honolulu to Sydney taking in the Pacific Islands.  There's no shortage of lovely cruises out there if you have the time and the money.  You might find a European river cruise interesting also.

Happy retirement!

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are getting ready for our b2b on Beyond, along with spending time in Sorrento because I love the Amalfi Coast.  In December, another Beyond cruise in the Caribbean is booked because we have not been there in years and the price was good.  Next year is all about being “Down Under” for several cruises(one TP) in NZ, AUS and back to Honolulu.  We have been to NZ before, but that was a hiking/driving adventure.  Add two that Ascent for a new ship experience.  Then, trying Oceania for a TA to Portugal, renting a car and driving to the south and enjoying the beautiful cliffs and beaches.  Have no idea what is next, but of course my mind is full of ideas.  We had to cancel the Galapagos twice, so maybe the third time will be the charm...whatever you decide, make it a good adventure!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Our next two cruises this year:

11 night Galapagos cruise + tour on Xpedition in November.

12 night Singapore to Hong Kong sailing on Solstice in December.

My recommendation to @jules815 is to do a Europe cruise (e,g, Mediterranean) or an Australia/New Zealand sailing if you don't mind the long air travel.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, applebutter said:

Having been a care-giver in the past, I understand the stresses you've been under and I know you need this break. I hope you enjoy every moment of your upcoming cruise.

Soon, DH and I and some dear friends will be on our way on a TA to Barcelona. Then, after exploring Spain for awhile, we will hop back on board and head to Rome. First TA for DH and I but we look forward to returning to Europe, especially Barcelona.

Alaska is a wonderful place to visit but it might not be the right time for that with the ports struggling to find enough staff. May I ask why you aren't interested? Is it the cold? If the cold isn't a problem, maybe Vancouver would be a good place. Explore Whistler, Vancouver, etc. That's one area we're interested in pursuing next year.

Not the cold. I'd love to do a New England into Canada cruise more than going to Alaska. My husband used to travel on business to Vancouver and always talks about taking me there someday. He loved it. 

Thanks for your kind comments. 

Next cruise is Apex from Rotterdam to Iceland, N Ireland, England, June 6, staying in Amsterdam before and after. Then Princess  Panama canal (partial) Christmas cruise December 20, 10 days from FLL.

I echo recommendations for Alaska and the Norwegian Fjords!

Norris

• Like 1

As listed in my signature, for the remainder of the year, we're doing (1) 12 days around the British Isles and Iceland on Silversea, (2) 20 days to New England and Atlantic Canada on Princess (b2b), and (3) 18 days to Galapagos on Celebrity Xpedition (b2b). We don't generally do Caribbean cruises because (a) they're just not that interesting to us, and (b) it's very difficult to get to Florida from Vancouver.

Next year has lots of Mediterranean cruising in store with MSC and Cunard, along with a river cruise along the Douro on AMA, a Hawaii-Vancouver trip on Celebrity, and probably an Alaska cruise-land-cruise trip on Princess.

• Like 1

Happy retirement! It is a great time to take longer or B2B cruises.

In October 2022 we did a Canada/New England (Boston-Boston) and ABC Islands (Boston-Miami) B2B along with a Fall Foliage road trip and a couple of days in Boston before boarding the Summit. We had a fabulous time.

This summer we are cruising the Norwegian Fjords and Iceland & Ireland B2B out of Amsterdam/Rotterdam with a few days in Amsterdam before embarking.

• Like 1

We are retired and are booked on various lines through 2025. We cruise on several lines depending on price and itinerary. (Since we prefer suites I tend to book really far in advance to get the best pricing.) Since we fly we tend to book less frequently and take two or three long trips each year.

We will be on the Carnival Miracle ten day Alaska itinerary this August out of San Francisco, followed by a B2B Mexican Riviera on the Carnival Panorama out of Long Beach a couple of days later (Southwest has quite a few flights between California cities). In January 2024 we have a B2B on the Constellation - first is New Orleans and the Caribbean, followed by the Ultimate Caribbean and the Americas. In July 2024 we will join our daughter and her friend to celebrate their thirtieth birthdays on the Cunard Queen Anne for a fourteen day Iceland and British Isles sailing from Southampton (we will also tour the London and Southampton areas before and after the cruise). Then, for 2025, in January we are on the Carnival Radiance for fourteen days to Hawaii out of Long Beach, with a couple of Mexican Riviera cruises thrown in. November 2025 is our Galapagos cruise on the Flora.

Our first Cunard cruise was last year was a TA on the Queen Mary 2 from Brooklyn to Southampton. We loved it, but be aware that they enforce their dress code (two true formal nights and 'smart attire' in the evenings for the main dining room, jeans only acceptable in the buffet and a couple of bars). On our sailing the majority of men wore tuxes as opposed to dark suits on the gala nights.

I am NOT retired, but am flying in a couple days early to Amsterdam and getting on the British Isles 12-day Cruise that begins on 9/2/23.  I can't wait!! 🙂

Edited by tce40
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, aml3679 said:

Our preferred cruise line is Celebrity cruises, but, since we both live on a retirement budget, we frequently sail on Carnival.

This Saturday, we are leaving out of Port Canaveral on the Mardi Gras for seven days.  In  November, we splurged for a suite and we are on a ten day on the Silhouette.

We wouldn't rule out Carnival at all. They have a nice itinerary that included the ABC's.

We also know there's a difference between a shorter and longer sailing on any line. Anyone been on a transatlantic on Carnival?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, snowballs mom said:

We are retired and are booked on various lines through 2025. We cruise on several lines depending on price and itinerary. (Since we prefer suites I tend to book really far in advance to get the best pricing.) Since we fly we tend to book less frequently and take two or three long trips each year.

We will be on the Carnival Miracle ten day Alaska itinerary this August out of San Francisco, followed by a B2B Mexican Riviera on the Carnival Panorama out of Long Beach a couple of days later (Southwest has quite a few flights between California cities). In January 2024 we have a B2B on the Constellation - first is New Orleans and the Caribbean, followed by the Ultimate Caribbean and the Americas. In July 2024 we will join our daughter and her friend to celebrate their thirtieth birthdays on the Cunard Queen Anne for a fourteen day Iceland and British Isles sailing from Southampton (we will also tour the London and Southampton areas before and after the cruise). Then, for 2025, in January we are on the Carnival Radiance for fourteen days to Hawaii out of Long Beach, with a couple of Mexican Riviera cruises thrown in. November 2025 is our Galapagos cruise on the Flora.

Our first Cunard cruise was last year was a TA on the Queen Mary 2 from Brooklyn to Southampton. We loved it, but be aware that they enforce their dress code (two true formal nights and 'smart attire' in the evenings for the main dining room, jeans only acceptable in the buffet and a couple of bars). On our sailing the majority of men wore tuxes as opposed to dark suits on the gala nights.

When I mentioned cruising to England my husband mentioned doing it on Cunard. We're not opposed at all to dressing up, but no sure if we want to, if that makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

Spain, France, Italy, Ibiza on Virgin Voyages, I'm a virgin on VV, so we shall see.

Interesting. Are you starting out in Barcelona or is this a TA? We're interested in trying out VV as well. Their food is supposed to be very good and all included. (no uncharge specialties)

I retired in March 2020, so Covid canceled 4 of our post retirement cruises. After our June Equinox cruise we are done forever with boring Caribbean cruises. We are only doing this cruise to take our 12 year old granddaughter on a cruise. We have 6 more cruises booked all for itineraries that we haven't done before. We still will have a 2025 Alaska cruise to book to take our last grandson on. We made a deal to take all of our grandchildren on a cruise when they turn 12.

Here is the list of our upcoming cruises that are booked:

Sept. 14, 2023 Celebrity Apex Retreat 12 nights Rotterdam, Spain, to Athens 

Nov. 4, 2023 Holland America Koningsdam 7 day Classic California Coastal Cruise.

Jan, 13 , 2024 Celebrity Edge Retreat 12 nights New Zealand Sky Suite followed by:

Jan 25, 2024 Celebrity Edge Retreat 10 nights Australia Great Barrier Reef cruise

August 20, 2024 HAL Volendam 11 day Boston to Montreal

March 6, 2025, Oceania Marina 18 nights Santiago to Buenos Ares 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're still a few years away from retiring and my DW is a teacher so our schedules and length of sailings are limited.  We do a lot of Caribbean over Spring Break and are ready for a swan song there too, but it's hard to find something else in March for only a week.  Our next cruise is a southbound from Seward to Vancouver in July with a 6 day land tour before the sailing.  Really looking forward to AK (our first time) and if your husband enjoyed Vancouver you should consider something up in that area coupled with some time exploring the area on land also.