The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday May 14th, 2023

Mother's Day

Today is Dance Like a Chicken Day, Bond With Your Dog Day, and National Decency Day

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Meal Suggestion for today - Ham and Pea Pasta Alfredo
Drink of the Day - Knob Creek Old Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Lapostolle Cabernet Cuvee Alexandre, Colchagua Valley, Chile
Destination of the Day - Nanortalik, Greenland

Today in History:
1804 Meriwether Lewis and William Clark's expedition commissioned by Thomas Jefferson sets out from St Louis for Pacific Coast

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 5-15 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm and Juneau, Alaska eta 5-15

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Glacier Bay, Alaska eta 5-15 

Nieuw Statendam

Amsterdam, Holland 04:30 - 17:30

Noordam

Vancouver, Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Ibiza, Spain 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Stockholm, Sweden 0800(+1)

Volendam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Zaandam

Quebec City, Quebec 07:00 - 15:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Praia Da Vitoria, Azores eta 5-19 

image.thumb.png.47042957b3a34d1f881cdaa1fc6b85cd.png

Sandi for Rich

• Like 24
  • Thanks 15

Good Morning friends and Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there!  We will have a warm day here with 67 currently and a predicted high of 88 with sunny skies.  Whatever you do today I hope it's a happy day for everyone.

Thanks to Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report.  I'd like to commemorate Dance Like a Chicken Day, Bond With Your Dog Day, and National Decency Day.  I believe Dance Like a Chicken means the same thing as the chicken dance which I don't think I know how to do.  Everyone will be happy to celebrate bonding with their dogs and being decent is a good thing to do.  We could use a lot more of it!  Speaking of dogs, I believe my neighbor Linda has a new dog.  She's the one who was in a horrific car accident last August and her DH passed away.  She had a broken back and two broken wrists.  She is starting to walk outside her house now, up and down our street, and I've seen her walking a tiny little dog on a leash the past two days.  She had a much larger dog last year and I never found out what happened to it, but this little dog looks like a better match for someone who walks very slowly and doesn't have much agility.  But good for her getting on with her life as best she can!!  

I like the Churchill quote today.  The menu suggestion sounds okay but not my favorite.  Maybe Debbie @dfish can boost my enthusiasm for it.  Thanks Deb!  Our drink is Knob Creek Old Fashioned 🍹and the wine a Chilean Cabernet.  🍷  Thanks to Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your input on those two. The Day in History is a good one.  Lewis and Clark began their journey in my hometown.

Prayers go to all on the Care list though we have seen much improvement there.  🙏 

Three cheeers to the Celebration list!  I'm glad to see all the cruisers as well as the other good news shared here.🚢  Let's try to keep that up.  My good news is I finished 7 more pages in my photo book on the Amazon River cruise we took last November-December.  That's a lot!  I still have 16 days left to chronicle. 🤞

The port today is Nanortalik, Greenland.  We had that port way back at the beginning of the port feature here on the Daily, on April 7, 2021.  I haven't been there yet, but will go there on my Zaandam cruise in August so would be happy to see the photos and what to do there, so please do post if you have anything.  Here is the link to make it easier for you.

I hope Rich had a good night's sleep at home and isn't feeling too overwhelmed with settling in, getting food in the house, dealing with mail, bonding with his cats (haven't heard the story on that front yet but would love to), and dusting off the home computers.  We will see him here live on Tuesday!  Meanwhile, let's all have a great day, and be safe out there!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

In honor of my Mother, Lorraine, on Mother's Day, here is a photo of her with me and a couple of my siblings.  I'm the toddler in the middle.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL0mVRtJDo-gnGaNRzqou-nldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1652015632

Please feel free to share a remembrance of your Mother today.

Lovely photo Sandi.

It was mother's day on March 12th here in the UK.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a sunny 54°F NE England.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for being a star and hosting the daily reports for the last few months.

Decency is something we all should show to each other.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Interesting quote from Churchill.

Unfortunately no matter how hard we try to do nice things for others some people usually out of jealousy are always going to dislike or hate you.

Dogs are a faithful companion but read this and thought it sad this can happen to dogs in a shelter.

Best wishes everyone.

Hope y'all have a great day.

image.png.68078b7b2b3924ca90b474813d8f1160.png

Screenshot_20230514_102516.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning Everyone, @StLouisCruisers thank you for today’s daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good to me and I look forward to recipes from @dfish.  I think will have chicken with rice and beans.  Today’s plans include finishing the house cleaning, just the dining room and kitchen remain.

It’s loud in the back yard as the mom and dad birds are feeding their babies, if you remain still you can watch the young ones stick their heads out of the gourds looking for food. It’s really nice to watch.

Wishing all the moms a happy Mother’s Day.
image.png.1d5f482d1544e03252a5abd584a3deff.png

• Like 17
  • Haha 12

Happy Mothers Day, whether your "children" are 2 legged or 4!

Knob Creek Old Fashioned cocktail:

Ingredients
2 ounces Knob Creek Bourbon Whiskey
1/4 to 1/2 ounce rich simple syrup (to taste)
Dash Fee Brothers Aromatic Bitters
Lemon peel garnish

Steps to Make It
Stir the Knob Creek, simple syrup, and bitters in a mixing glass filled with ice.
Strain into an old-fashioned glass over a large ice cube.
Garnish with lemon peel.

Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 6.22.36 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Happy Mother's Day.

The chicken dance seemed to be a staple that was played at all weddings we attended years ago, it was especially fun when we'd had a few glasses of wine.😁  I have a close bond with my dog, he's laying here on the floor next to my chair now.  I wish everyone acted with decency everyday.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, so does the drink.  I hope the wine is tasty too.

Thanks for pictures of today's port, I have not been there.

Not much on the agenda for us today.  It should be a sunny day, a little cooler than yesterday.  I will call my mom this afternoon. 

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 27

Good morning and happy Mother’s Day to all of the moms out there.  I haven’t thought about the chicken dance in years, it was a staple at weddings years ago.  If I had a dog I would do the decent thing and bond with it today.  I like today’s quote, Churchill was a wise man.  The meal suggestion sounds tasty, I’ll pass on the drink though. I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and to those in need.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today. 🥂

• Like 25

Thanks for the continued Fleet Update and General Info SLC.

Happy Mother’s Day!

The photo below is real, not fiction. It was taken in July 2010 on the Maasdam, Voyage of the Vikings in the Bay off the port in Greenland. Since we had an inside cabin on this cruise I did not see it until we got to the Lido Restaurant for breakfast. It was tall as the Lido Deck.

The Captain of this cruise was Captain James Dunford. I ran into him later that day and told him if we hit the berg we all will be “Done For”.

IMG_1028.thumb.jpeg.6e951d2798d571608c79a81f44806cfc.jpeg

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 29
  • Haha 3

I am back home safe. The Callie and Leo came to make sure it was me, then we went back to normal, they went back outside to play. At 2:30am Leo decided it was time to go to bed so he jumped up and snuggled.

Lots to do today and tomorrow, but work is all caught up.

I want to acknowledge and thank @POA1 and his wife for their hospitality Friday night and yesterday morning. It was a wonderful way to end a cruise.

Hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Happy Mother’s Day! 
It’s also Mother’s Day here in Germany, and Father’s Day is on Thursday. 

Interesting days and quote. Pass on the meal. 

I had a rough day yesterday with stomach issues and couldn’t get warm. Then I realized I’d taken my injection on Wednesday and I think that’s the cause. I did a COVID test this AM that was negative. I will delay the next injection until I get home. Today we’re going out with a friend and his Mom, so I’m not sure what’s for dinner; at least I feel better. 

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start today. Lovely photo of your Mother. 
@richwmn Welcome back!

Prayers for all in need and Cheers to those with reason to Celebrate.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Sandi & Rich for today’s R & D! A lovely morning. Once the humidity cleared out yesterday, the day was lovely. But the early morning was icky sticky. 

Eva, thank you for so diligently tracking our happenings! Just gym, Aldi, Bindi walks and deconstructing the pool party stuff. 

In honor of Mothers’ Day, I bring you….

IMG_1128.jpeg.320f32f87ea9659f9869731957d63cc9.jpeg

IMG_1129.jpeg.2e5c91edde83015fdcd36e87ed041fab.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg.b3e20048518152e14f1ac7ccb6b65700.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg.b4cea6a9e7790f6d848d4bec01d004b7.jpeg

IMG_1134.jpeg.7468f67dc02147a3f1a8fe66bfc4d205.jpeg

IMG_1140.jpeg.04ca9f14769f5df671d4b9ff7934181e.jpeg

IMG_1145.jpeg.157536cdb40fa0bc199cbb75fcd99c03.jpeg

IMG_1143.jpeg.cc30aeb986a0598bf71891c393974450.jpeg

IMG_1142.jpeg.96abce43720e87e3da63e209a7ffd4ac.jpeg

IMG_1151.jpeg.3b800dc5e48e2d1efca5725e66a08660.jpeg

IMG_1156.jpeg.611cc325da1fe3be5676845774c32988.jpeg

This one fascinates me! Must be quite a hike for the babies to crawl up Mom’s shell!

IMG_1155.jpeg.d350552a52ab1703b46dc88c3553affb.jpeg

IMG_1157.jpeg.c9c9b23e1fb116728d4057e71f7e8d21.jpeg

IMG_1149.jpeg.09399b5989df5efb58b0512879e41b8e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Lapostolle 2019 Cabernet Cuvee Alexandre, Colchagua Valley, Chile

The good news is that every released vintage of this Cab shares the same great reviews and prices. I picked the 2019 vintage info, because you should still be able to find it & it should be ready to enjoy! Available from numerous online distributors with prices starting at $17.95.

Winemaker Notes

Intense, deep red color with purple edges. Expressive and intense nose with cassis and black currant aromas. Elegant palate with round and persistent tannins, with fresh cherry along with a light toast flavor.

Pairs well with dishes as lamb shank with herbs or pork fillet with mustard and honey.

JS94 James Suckling

Very pretty currant, blackberry and floral aromas and flavors. It’s medium-to full-bodied with firm, silky tannins and a chewy finish. Give it two or three years to soften.

RP92 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

I was surprised by the varietal purity of the 2019 Cuvée Alexandre Cabernet Sauvignon despite being blended with some 9% Carmenere, 4% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petit Verdot, which probably adds complexity and more Bordeaux character to the bottled wine. But it also has Chilean character, balsamic and round, with good acidity and pungent flavors. It fermented with indigenous yeasts and matured in French oak barrels for 16 months. It's quite classical.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 9

Happy Mothers Day to all our Mothers and Mother figures.  I think National Decency Day is every day for our Dailyites but will pass on the other 2 days.  It should be National Courage Day in honor of Lewis and Clark and their teams.  If Ren has a day off it should be a beautiful day here.  I have not been to Nanortalik.  HAL's next call there is 2 months from today on the Zuiderdam.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Prime Rib of Beef au Jus, and Key Lime Pie as served on MS Veendam May 14, 2016.

Roy

• Like 31

Good morning and Happy Mother’s Day to all our mom’s. It was a long day of parenting yesterday. Today is our last full day as their parents arrive home tomorrow afternoon. We have a picnic lunch planned at a nearby playground for one of today’s activities. We will drive home Tuesday, rest for a couple of days and start getting ready for our cruises.

Wishes that all our Mom’s have a great day. Thanks for the Fleet Report and featured post. Bruce

image.jpeg.cd1bbde6c5542a68e6f548f12c2e3e74.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d50aa950b9fb08e0f2771962ec56b771.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.93e385a73c3bd0d9c50aa4afa7115400.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d9a477cff4740e0070e7ba1cdac4d5cc.jpegimage.jpeg.d18f1e0cc734dd3315098ab121bc5e10.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 21

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a bit cooler today in mid-Michigan with the high only reaching around 60F.  That's ok by me.  We're going out to Chippewa Nature Center and hiking a bit and then we have to get stuff out to the curb for heavy item pickup.  We are clearing out all of Previous Owner's lumber scraps that are hidden all over the yard.  There's a ton of them under the deck we just stained.  Speaking of which, I finished up the outside trim on it yesterday and gave the floor of the deck a second coat.  We could see where the hot tub had sat and the second coat took care of that.  

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there, present and past.  Especially to my mom celebrating in heaven.  

Mom and me

MomandDeb.thumb.jpg.b56d6f2bda85d4c20119266a688b3cc1.jpg

Today's meal will appeal to many, but I am going with Roy's alternative meal.  Actually, we have a ton of chicken left over from last night. The first recipe calls for fully cooked ham, so this is a good way to use up leftover ham.  It also uses sugar snap peas instead of regular peas.  Carb count it still to high and alfredo dishes are usually too heavy for me.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ham-and-pea-pasta-alfredo/

hamandpeaalfredo1.jpg.0a52d6e8c04de4cecb74b3b97662d874.jpg

The next recipe shows us we can use whatever kind of pasta we have on hand.  It doesn't have to be fettuccini noodles.  Included is a list of variations that you can consider.  I like the one that says to sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.  Bacon makes everything better, doesn't it?   https://thekitchengirl.com/leftover-ham-alfredo-pasta/

hamandpeaalfredo2.thumb.jpg.9b3d9acbd277c6cc31eade2dc45a8439.jpg

This last recipe is similar to the first one with a difference in type of pea used and the seasonings.  https://www.thefoodieaffair.com/fettuccine-alfredo-ham-peas/

hamandpeaalfredo3.thumb.jpg.b0c16fe08494d8b0f932a950754a7c34.jpg

Wishing  you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Happy Mother's Day! My mom passed away 23 years ago. I still miss her. 

I love dogs. My wonderful rescue dog Abby sadly passed away last year. She had a very rough start to her life but at the end of her life, she knew she was safe and loved. 

Today is 14 days until cruise day. I am packing. Hope to get a lot of it done because these two weeks will go quickly.

Thinking of everyone today.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 30

Happy Mothers Day to all the Mothers out there.  My kids, my sister and her family coming today for dinner.  Take out from Olive Garden is ordered.  My sister and I have decided that we are through preparing huge meals on holidays so catering/take out it is.  

Welcome home, Rich.  Though you had a wonderful trip it must be nice to be home.  

Prayers for all in need today.  Safe travels to all visiting their Moms.  Katherine 

• Like 29