The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday May 23rd, 2023

richwmn

Today is Lucky Penny Day, National Taffy Day, and World Turtle Day

I would die for you. But I won't live for you.--Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Meal Suggestion for today - Pork & Mango Stir-Fry
Drink of the Day - Rob Roy
Wine of the Day - Bilancia Syrah Hawkes Bay La Collina 2020
Destination of the Day - Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Today in History:
1949 Federal Republic of [West] Germany created out of the American, British and French occupation zones

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1500

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Geiranger, Norway eta 25 May

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0830-1830

Oosterdam

Cadiz, Spain 1100-1900

Rotterdam

Alesund, Norway 0800-1700

Volendam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 24 May

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 1300-2100

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia 0800-1700

Zuiderdam

Ringaskiddy (Cork), Ireland 1000-2300

0523Alaska.thumb.png.1dea3df1438b0152165f4207bcce8ca3.png

0523Atlantic.thumb.png.32b9a32a00429503cede87a76a15e610.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 17

Good morning. Haven’t been to bed yet, although I had a nap earlier. Need to be up in an hour or so to go to work. Didn’t have caffeine later in the day (only my usual morning coffee) so not sure why I’m still up. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Thanks for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information. Have a great day everyone.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Happy Tuesday.  Thank You Rich, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  I guess lucky pennies are pretty much an American thing now since they are disappearing in much of the world.  Turtles are interesting creatures and I have loved taffy but not so much any more.  Been to HMC just once and unable to tender one other time.  This is an especially great day in German history.  Interesting point of view by Chbosky.  Not sure about the stir fry.  My alternative is Pineapple Boat, Rack of Lamb with with Tomato Couscous, and Garlic Pearls, and Black Forest Cake as served on MS Prinsendam May 23, 2015.

Not a day I'm  looking forward to, dental fillings this afternoon.

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thank you for today's daily reports.

Sad to hear Thors actor Ray Stevenson has died 2 days before his 59th birthday.

It is sunny and 64°F currently at 11.40am.

Interesting quote.

All stir frys are nice imo.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Screenshot_20230523_113349.jpg

Screenshot_20230523_113301.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A nice spring day, sunny and mild. 

I rarely see pennies around here, but they are kept as lucky tokens by some.  I haven't eaten taffy in ages, maybe I'll look to buy some today.  Turtles are great.

Interesting quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good.  My DH would love the drink, hope the wine is good.

We were at HMC many years ago on our partial Panama Canal cruise.  Lovely place to visit.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  I’ll keep my eye out for a lucky penny today. I think that turtles are really cool creatures.  Just recently I admitted to myself that I really don’t like taffy all that much. The quote is a little deep for me at this hour.  The meal and drink sound nice.  I’ll bet that most of us have been to today’s port.  Prayers for all on our list and for those who need them.  Happy special event to those of you celebrating today!

• Like 25

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Tuesday.  Thank You Rich, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  I guess lucky pennies are pretty much an American thing now since they are disappearing in much of the world.  Turtles are interesting creatures and I have loved taffy but not so much any more.  Been to HMC just once and unable to tender one other time.  This is an especially great day in German history.  Interesting point of view by Chbosky.  Not sure about the stir fry.  My alternative is Pineapple Boat, Rack of Lamb with with Tomato Couscous, and Garlic Pearls, and Black Forest Cake as served on MS Prinsendam May 23, 2015.

Not a day I'm  looking forward to, dental fillings this afternoon.

Roy

Little copper pennies are still legal tender in the UK and in the European Union where Euro's are the currency.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Tuesday May 23 care and celebration list

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

Jazzyv with knee and back pain but doing things

Cunnorl recovering from surgery 

Cruznterri’s dh taking it easy after mohs surgery

1angelcat with a very sick kitty

Heartgrove concerned for Sam

NextOne with new afib concerns

Superoma’s family on the death of her father

Vict0riann’s dh dealing with a post surgery infection 

Wildfire and tornado victims

Smoke from the wildfires moving east

Too many shooting victims every day

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

Flooding victims in Ravenna, Italy

From the rotation:

RMLincoln’s DH’s sensitivity to glaucoma meds

Marshhawk ‘s leg and feet cramps

Marshhawk’s dh with continuing nose issues 

Grapau27 needing hip surgery for arthritis

Celebrations

Tana, celebrating small wellness victories as they

Rafinmd fleshing out September and November cruises

Cruising-along good nephrologist appointment 

Summer slope’s Bailey doing better

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

4 days Oceansaway17 (Disney fantasy 5/27 to June 3)

7 days for DeniseT (n. Amsterdam 5/28 to June 4)

Cruising 

Crazy For Cats(Zaandam to 5/27)

Jazzyv cruise, Germany vacation to 5/28

Cruising sister (Nieuw Statendam to 5/28)

SusieKIslandGirl (Nieuw Statendam to5/28)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 14

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Going into the office today. In 3 days, I will be heading for the airport to spend the night as I have to be at the airport 4:30 Saturday morning. Getting closer now. Just wrapping up last minute stuff. I was able to get my monthly prescriptions filled early as I will be in Alaska when I usually get them filled. You can never tell with the insurance company if they will let you refill early. 

Should be a nice day here.

Thinking of everyone. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 32

My DH always picks up pennies he sees in the parking lot.  Who doesn’t need a little bit luck.  I like a piece of salt water taffy every now and then.  I order a box from  Dolles in Ocean City when I need a summertime fix.  IMG_7450.thumb.jpeg.874dec3ccbce6a1ea79cf7230a8761df.jpeg 

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a novel about Charlie who is a high school freshman, dealing with depression and anxiety. His best friend committed suicide during the summer.  Two seniors take him under their wings and try to help him navigate high school. The book is extremely popular with students and often placed on banned book lists.

“ I would die for you. But I won’t live for you.”   Charlie is actually quoting a quote from The Fountainhead; he follow this statement with. Something like that. I think the idea is that every person has to live for his or her own life and then make the choice to share it with other people.  Maybe that is what makes people “participate”.

Half Moon Cay is a nice private island. We prefer to leave the busy area near the tender and walk far down the beach to a more isolated part of the island. Love the color of the water.

IMG_7106.thumb.jpeg.13e4099f046d8c40fa1ff901b5f944a2.jpeg

Positive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, 0106 said:

My DH always picks up pennies he sees in the parking lot.  Who doesn’t need a little bit luck.  I like a piece of salt water taffy every now and then.  I order a box from  Dolles in Ocean City when I need a summertime fix.  IMG_7450.thumb.jpeg.874dec3ccbce6a1ea79cf7230a8761df.jpeg 

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a novel about Charlie who is a high school freshman, dealing with depression and anxiety. His best friend committed suicide during the summer.  Two seniors take him under their wings and try to help him navigate high school. The book is extremely popular with students and often placed on banned book lists.

“ I would die for you. But I won’t live for you.”   Charlie is actually quoting a quote from The Fountainhead; he follow this statement with. Something like that. I think the idea is that every person has to live for his or her own life and then make the choice to share it with other people.  Maybe that is what makes people “participate”.

Half Moon Cay is a nice private island. We prefer to leave the busy area near the tender and walk far down the beach to a more isolated part of the island. Love the color of the water.

IMG_7106.thumb.jpeg.13e4099f046d8c40fa1ff901b5f944a2.jpeg

Positive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

I very much enjoy when you put the quotes into context.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Good collection of days.  Remember “lucky penny pick it up…”. None to be found here now though.  Love World Turtle Day and the effort to help save them and their nests 👍 

I must need more coffee - I didn’t understand the 2nd part of the quote until Tina elaborated.  Thank you @0106

IMG_3590.thumb.jpeg.3901581ce050acb1d801bbe84279906a.jpeg

I think most of us have been to HMC.  We are stopping there on our Transatlantic on the Rotterdam - just wish HAL would get the excursions up. 

Looks like the cold nights are sticking with us for a bit so I will keep transitioning but at least, I think it’s safe for the dahlias & seeds 🤞 

IMG_3420.jpeg.ccf00a6924b6f6768c9498475adc06ba.jpeg

@Vict0riann Ann, I hope that the antibiotics are helping Pat 🤞 

@Cruzin Terri good for you on getting the dryer situation resolved 👍 

@cruzn single I hope the sore spots on your head improve.

@1ANGELCAT  Hoping to hear a positive report on the Botox & continued good kitty reports 🤞 

@dobiemom  Yikes on staying up all night 😬 I hope you can make it through the work day.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those on the Celebratory list.

IMG_3589.jpeg.13a2e4d65bbb05a472b73331ed9eed0d.jpeg

Have a great Tuesday everyone !!!!!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Good morning.  Spent 5 hrs. driving and working with the Apple store to sinc my devices so my photo's will show up on all of them.  It's 1.5 hrs away so you have to plan the day.

Rob Roy cocktail:

Ingredients
2 ounces scotch
3/4 ounce sweet vermouth
3 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: brandied cherry

Steps
Add the scotch, sweet vermouth and bitters into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with 2 speared brandied cherries.

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 7.34.55 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Good morning friends!  It's 61F and cloudy.  We expect rain today and 68 for a high.  We were able to go outside to walk this morning because there was a lull between overnight showers and the upcoming rain storms.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report today.  I like picking up lucky pennies, turtles and preserving their habitat, and have no feelings at all toward taffy.  Thanks Tina @0106 for your explanation of the quote of the day.    The stir-fry sure sounds different.  I like most stir fries.  No thanks to the drink or wine.  Thanks in advance to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard.

Thanks to Eva @superoma for taking care of the lists even with all that's going on in her life.  Prayers for all our Care list people.  Debbie @dfish isn't your surgery tomorrow?  Prayers started for you and the surgeon and that all goes as planned.🙏  Three cheers to all on the Celebration list!  🥂🎉  Smooth seas to all our cruisers.

Our port of the day is the ever popular Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas.  We had that port listed here twice on June 28, 2021 and Oct. 11, 2022.  I have been there 3 times on BHB's.  Here are the links and just a couple photos from HMC.

Here are a couple of photos from our first time there in 2016 on Westerdam.  We parked ourselves under some trees in front of this lovely cabana/beach house.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjaxfMtwcpGuXott6bcWoc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124195

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIdZWmKOMXdQGEZnnqe2of1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124195

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLuQuYcJsq9atBO14WtsZEr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124144

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKCUiqpY_DfXPwWDBc1vHX0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124153

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLAWhSW0Mq7fAnzgto6JyYO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124136

Hoping everyone has a good day!   Stay safe and healthy y'all!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Prayers for all in need and prayers for wisdom for political leaders here and around the world.  

Not much going on lately.  DH needed to get blood drawn yesterday so that meant a trip in the car.  Always an adventure.  BIL getting gel injections in both of his knees on Thursday.  We are all hoping for this procedure will help with both mobility and pain management.  

Cleaning people coming today and have to get DH ready for his excursion with his caretaker — grocery shopping — his favorite thing!

Best wishes all and have a great day.  Katherine 

• Like 28

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! This morning is spectacular! After a day of torrential downpours and area flooding, we deserve it. It rained so hard coming back from the gym that the drains could not keep up with it and roads were horrible. And poor Bindi. She hates getting wet, but the weather left her no options. Luckily she loves being towel dried. 

Eva, keeping you and your family in my prayers. Debbie, praying that all goes smoothly for you tomorrow. Tina, thank you for taking over!

Just Bindi walks, gym, yard work and maybe a visit to one of our local wine bars.

IMG_1305.jpeg.bcd6a961e3609600f53e02f92b52dce6.jpeg

Dailyites - meet the crazy cat man!

IMG_1325.jpeg.445a17962fb51d641ce4aead791d01d0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Sandi, hope you feel better today. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Bilancia Syrah Hawkes Bay La Collina 2020

This vintage is elusive, unless you live in New Zealand. But I found a few distributors who will ship the 2018 vintage to me! The bad news is that it is outside of my budget. The 2020 vintage with several distributors who only ship to NZ is available for $84.97 + shipping. The 2018 vintage is available for $83.94 + shipping. 

Cameron Douglas’ review

Due for release in November 2022 this wine is fantastic - with a bouquet of concentration and power, is very expressive with aromas of dark berries and field mushrooms, fruit and barrel spices, wood smoke and very youthful energy. Black currant and baked meats, mushroom and clove, dark fleshed raspberry, barrel spices and violets. Equally fantastic on the palate, very taut still, youthful and high energy with concentrated flavours of fruit and earth, wood and power. Tannins are ripe, polished, in abundance and layer in mouthfeel to an already impressive texture. The backbone of acidity contrasts the core fruit flavours adding length, shape and form. Delicious, new and cellar worthy. Best drinking likely from 2025 through 2040.

97 Points

Outstanding

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone!

@StLouisCruisers Yes, surgery is tomorrow.  I don't know what time yet as they don't make that information available until after 3 pm the day before.  Makes it hard on people who need to arrange rides.  So, today will be spent doing all the things I need to get done but won't be able to do for a while afterwards.  Fun, fun, fun!

This first recipe is easy and looks good, but it is full of sugar and way too many carbohydrates for me.  It would put me right to sleep.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork-mango-stir-fry/

porkandmangostirfry1.jpg.675080509b788e178393d3372664a59b.jpg

This one doesn't have all the added sugar.  I would add in a few more vegetables and serve it over riced cauliflower.  https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pork-mango-stir-fry

porkandmangostirfry2.jpg.7950cf5f73fe0bac0f7b648102e58068.jpg

This next one is an easy recipe since it uses frozen fruit and vegetables.  Gochujang is a red chili paste.  I'd leave out the sugar and serve over riced cauliflower.    https://www.readyseteat.com/recipes-Spicy-Mango-Pork-and-Vegetable-Stir-Fry-9950

porkandmangostirfry3.thumb.jpg.a91abeb15b0af40fd03f208bb7cfc471.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

23 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's 61F and cloudy.  We expect rain today and 68 for a high.  We were able to go outside to walk this morning because there was a lull between overnight showers and the upcoming rain storms.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report today.  I like picking up lucky pennies, turtles and preserving their habitat, and have no feelings at all toward taffy.  Thanks Tina @0106 for your explanation of the quote of the day.    The stir-fry sure sounds different.  I like most stir fries.  No thanks to the drink or wine.  Thanks in advance to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard.

Thanks to Eva @superoma for taking care of the lists even with all that's going on in her life.  Prayers for all our Care list people.  Debbie @dfish isn't your surgery tomorrow?  Prayers started for you and the surgeon and that all goes as planned.🙏  Three cheers to all on the Celebration list!  🥂🎉  Smooth seas to all our cruisers.

Our port of the day is the ever popular Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas.  We had that port listed here twice on June 28, 2021 and Oct. 11, 2022.  I have been there 3 times on BHB's.  Here are the links and just a couple photos from HMC.

Here are a couple of photos from our first time there in 2016 on Westerdam.  We parked ourselves under some trees in front of this lovely cabana/beach house.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIjaxfMtwcpGuXott6bcWoc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124195

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIdZWmKOMXdQGEZnnqe2of1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124195

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLuQuYcJsq9atBO14WtsZEr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124144

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKCUiqpY_DfXPwWDBc1vHX0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124153

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLAWhSW0Mq7fAnzgto6JyYO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460124136

Hoping everyone has a good day!   Stay safe and healthy y'all!

Nice photos of HMC. He got the whole ship in his hands, the whole ship in his hands….

What no pictures of me from last Nov/Dec when we there at the same time. I believe you were on the Volendam

• Like 20

Good morning! Starting the day off at 70 and the forecasted rains for the morning don’t show on radar. So I’ll get my walk in. There I was this morning in a really deep slumber when all of a sudden I bolted up looked at the alarm clock and said “OMG I’m late for work!” After a second,  reality kicked in and I rested for another half hour.😊

I really don’t need pictures of Half Moon as we have been there enough times that its beauty is embedded in my mind. My favorite visit was when our Roll Call united and pooled money and 12 of us rented the Grand Pavilion for the day.

It is definitely Turtle Season here. Volunteers are marking off nesting spots on our beaches and we’ve had several turtles coming out of the creeks and ponds behind our home to lay their eggs. Usually doesn’t work well as birds are watching where they are burying their eggs. Some must survive as there are hundreds of turtles on these ponds.

Thanks Rich and our feature editor columnist. Have a great day. Watch out for those Taffy Candy treats as it loves to extract dental crowns and fillings.

@dfish Debbie good luck on your surgery tomorrow.🙏

Bruce

image.jpeg.9e07e5ae2455b11668b45d2101884d43.jpegimage.jpeg.ed4579c9517a572b83db1c275460f5f6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.001befd73daa8163885f415b64dae9fa.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.290bae7a8558519d192eb15f10d5eecb.jpegimage.jpeg.d31e410c1f17301b8d36e38e34ae746f.jpegimage.jpeg.65b1f714f389e8151ab226e7853d839f.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 19
  • Haha 18

11 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! This morning is spectacular! After a day of torrential downpours and area flooding, we deserve it. It rained so hard coming back from the gym that the drains could not keep up with it and roads were horrible. And poor Bindi. She hates getting wet, but the weather left her no options. Luckily she loves being towel dried. 

Eva, keeping you and your family in my prayers. Debbie, praying that all goes smoothly for you tomorrow. Tina, thank you for taking over!

Just Bindi walks, gym, yard work and maybe a visit to one of our local wine bars.

IMG_1305.jpeg.bcd6a961e3609600f53e02f92b52dce6.jpeg

Dailyites - meet the crazy cat man!

IMG_1325.jpeg.445a17962fb51d641ce4aead791d01d0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Sandi, hope you feel better today. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Bilancia Syrah Hawkes Bay La Collina 2020

This vintage is elusive, unless you live in New Zealand. But I found a few distributors who will ship the 2018 vintage to me! The bad news is that it is outside of my budget. The 2020 vintage with several distributors who only ship to NZ is available for $84.97 + shipping. The 2018 vintage is available for $83.94 + shipping. 

Cameron Douglas’ review

Due for release in November 2022 this wine is fantastic - with a bouquet of concentration and power, is very expressive with aromas of dark berries and field mushrooms, fruit and barrel spices, wood smoke and very youthful energy. Black currant and baked meats, mushroom and clove, dark fleshed raspberry, barrel spices and violets. Equally fantastic on the palate, very taut still, youthful and high energy with concentrated flavours of fruit and earth, wood and power. Tannins are ripe, polished, in abundance and layer in mouthfeel to an already impressive texture. The backbone of acidity contrasts the core fruit flavours adding length, shape and form. Delicious, new and cellar worthy. Best drinking likely from 2025 through 2040.

97 Points

Outstanding

Feeling better today Ann.  Thanks for asking.

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

@StLouisCruisers Yes, surgery is tomorrow.  I don't know what time yet as they don't make that information available until after 3 pm the day before.  Makes it hard on people who need to arrange rides.  So, today will be spent doing all the things I need to get done but won't be able to do for a while afterwards.  Fun, fun, fun!

This first recipe is easy and looks good, but it is full of sugar and way too many carbohydrates for me.  It would put me right to sleep.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork-mango-stir-fry/

porkandmangostirfry1.jpg.675080509b788e178393d3372664a59b.jpg

This one doesn't have all the added sugar.  I would add in a few more vegetables and serve it over riced cauliflower.  https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pork-mango-stir-fry

porkandmangostirfry2.jpg.7950cf5f73fe0bac0f7b648102e58068.jpg

This next one is an easy recipe since it uses frozen fruit and vegetables.  Gochujang is a red chili paste.  I'd leave out the sugar and serve over riced cauliflower.    https://www.readyseteat.com/recipes-Spicy-Mango-Pork-and-Vegetable-Stir-Fry-9950

porkandmangostirfry3.thumb.jpg.a91abeb15b0af40fd03f208bb7cfc471.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Looks really good.  Thanks for the photos and recipes.  I hope you have an early surgery and quick healing!

4 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Nice photos of HMC. He got the whole ship in his hands, the whole ship in his hands….

What no pictures of me from last Nov/Dec when we there at the same time. I believe you were on the Volendam

Yes we were there on Volendam, but didn't see you.  I think you were hiding in your cabana!😆

• Like 20
  • Haha 1