The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday June 6th, 2023

richwmn

D-Day WWII

Today is National Higher Education Day, National Gardening Exercise Day, and National Yo-Yo Day

Never love anyone who treats you like you're ordinary.--Oscar Wilde

Meal Suggestion for today - Air-Fryer Steak Fajitas
Drink of the Day - Jim Beam Apple Highball
Wine of the Day - Dr. H. Thanisch Müller-Burggraef Riesling Kabinett Mosel Bernkasteler Badstube 2
Destination of the Day - Tsuruga, Japan Fukui

Today in History:
1944 Operation Overlord: D-Day begins as the 156,000-strong Allied Expeditionary Force lands in Normandy, France, during World War II

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Kristiansand, Norway 0700-1700

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Oosterdam

At Sea destination Corfu, Greece eta 07 Jun

Rotterdam

Warnemunde-Rostock, Germany 07:00 - 22:00

Volendam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 07 Jun

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Dun Laoghaire (Dublin), Ireland 0800-1800

0606Atlantic.thumb.png.c2bf3997ff69c519f440035bf493395b.png

0606Alaska.thumb.png.b02e879c82d892379fd4234be10dbda9.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 19

Good Morning to All!!

Well, well, well!  I guess it pays to be on the East Coast (EDT)!!  LOL!!  I am near the top of the comments ( @portofrome got to it first BUT he/she is in Rome!!) (and now @grapau27  🙂 )

Thank you for the report.  Awe, D-Day plus all the other days.  (some day I will make it to Normandy).  I love my airfryer but fajitas?  Hmmmm.  The drinks sound good and I love Oscar Wilde.

Thoughts to those on the care list and Happy sailing to those who are and will be soon.

Well, I got to PA last night.  Beautiful drive.  The "eastern" Continental Divide was only around 2600 ft.  And I past a ski resort (LOL!!); there are no mountains here just hills (I said the same thing in MA when I visited/lived in that area).  Anyway, I am about 3-4 hours from my destination so I will go see the Liberty Bell and the real Independence Hall (not the one at Knott's Berry Farm - 🤣).  I should get to Long Island by the afternoon.

This has been a wonderful trip.  Heading across the country in my red little girl, moon roof open, jamming out to the tunes of the '80's.  I am finally living the best life.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!!

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  D-Day was a great day in our history although I do not remember it as I was still shy of my first birthday.  I'll salute higher education (very valuable to me) bit pass on the gardening and Yo-Yo.  Have not been to Tsuruga,  I think I like the Wilde quote but will pass on the Fajitas.  My alternative is Iced Melon Bisque, Orange and Radiccio Salad, and Chicken Kiev as served on MS Prinsendam June 6, 2015.  Welcome at least briefly to Maryland @Nickelpenny..  I was having trouble placing that sign but now have a pretty good idea where it is.  We only have 2 ski resorts in Maryland and I think I know which one it was, not within sight of that highway.

Roy

• Like 34

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report. Remembering D-day and the heroic efforts by so many.  Higher education has improved the lives of many people and the world at large.  Gardening is great exercise, until you try and stand up from weeding!  I enjoy watching good yo-yo players, alas I’m not one of them.  I like the quote by Oscar Wilde.  Since I don’t own an air fryer I’ll pass on the meal suggestion and since I don’t like Jim Beam I’ll pass on the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today. 🥂

• Like 24

oday’s Care list:

Cruzn single recovering from surgery and 2nd surgery on Thursday

Seasick Sailor with an injured toe

StLouisCruiser’s DGS’s soccer team with injured players

Dobiemom with continued vision issues

1Angelcat’s loss of Ninja and Fluff only a week apart

Marshhawk and DH Chuck with Covid after cruise; Fawn missing

Superoma working to settle her DD DF’s estate

Great loss of life in India due to train crash

Wildfire and storm related victims

Shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine and Sudan

From the rotation:

RMLincoln’s DH’s glaucoma issues

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Luvteaching’s DH in rehab

57redbird’s cousin with glioblastoma

NextOne needing valve replacement surgery

Roy recovering from pneumonia and slowly getting stronger

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Dobiemom with restrictions lifted

Lovely new photo of Miss Camilla

StLouisCruiser’s Ren’s team headed to the Dallas tournament in 2 weeks

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

2 days for ocean sounds (Symphony of the Seas June 8 to June 15)

4 days for Nickelpenny (Zaandam June 10 to 17), celebrating retirement

Suslor (Eurodam to June 10) and aliaschief (Azamara Journey to June 28)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 16

Good morning friends!  It is 64 with sunny skies and 88 predicted later today.  Thanks to Rich @richwmn for our D-Day Daily and Fleet Report.  A very important day to never forget.  We can learn a lot from history - that's why we shouldn't cancel what has gone on in the past.  Invaluable!

I like the Higher Education Day and a salute to those who continue educating themselves during their lifetime.  Gardening certainly is exercise!  I've done plenty of that in the past.  Yo-yos were big when I was growing up but these days you don't see kids playing with them.  Just staring at their phones!

The quote is a good one.  If anyone wants to prepare steak fajitas for me in their air fryer, I'm game.  The drink sounds interesting, and I don't know what to think of the wine.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for their reports.  To Vanessa @JazzyV thank you so much for keeping us up to date on the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for those in need of them.🙏  Three cheers for the Celebration list folks.  Enjoy happy birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, and cruises!🎂🎓🥂🚢  Thanks Vanessa for mentioning Ren, and his teammates recovering from that collision.  They can use the prayers they receive.

The port of the day is Tsuruga, Japan and we had that port here on Dec. 22, 2021 and Feb. 3, 2022 so it was quite a while ago.  The links are below so feel free to post your photos from back then.  I have not been there before, therefore have no photos to post today.  

Just want to note neighbors Brenda and Paul departed yesterday with one of their daughters for who knows what state.  Last time (April 30) they made it only to Tennessee.  They have a new route and Brenda swears she will text me occasionally to let me know where they are and what they've been up to.  I pray for safe travel for them and will see them at the end of summer.  

Oh yes, I did some treadmill work this morning and it is working.  Doesn't keep a tinkerer from tinkering though because I can see that look in DH's eyes.  He will no doubt try to make adjustments.  🔧😆

• Like 34

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info everyone who contributed!

National Gardening Exercise Day. I do this everyday. It is called pulling weeds. 😀

I am in trouble with the quote of the day because I am ordinary. 😳

National Higher Education Day. I have already reached the highest education I can achieve learning how to make moonshine.

• Like 17
  • Haha 8

Thanks for our Tuesday & D-Day anniversary Daily, Rich.

79th anniversary of D-Day today.  Let us never forget those that sacrificed to end WWII.  I think on the most moving tours I ever did was to Juno Beach.  The Normandy people still celebrate the allies with flags and the cemeteries are truly pristine - so well cared for.  France actually gave the land for the cemeteries in perpetuity.  My father was there and thankfully returned home but the memories never left him.

IMG_3709.thumb.jpeg.55b8cc3b758193c280052fcbc612cdde.jpeg

National Education Day is certainly worthy of celebrating.  No gardening today as a) it’s raining and cold again and b) my foot is saying ouch.  (Guess I should have iced it when I got back from walking Ivan).  But never fear, I’ll be celebrating lots of gardening exercise days 😉 My tulip that thinks it is a rose:

IMG_1677.thumb.jpeg.7f59e976db5f1d648875a6bc70872310.jpeg

Love today’s quote.  So very true, IMO.  Meal sounds good but Ivan and I are having liver tonight (yes, he will get some liver 😉) so I will save the recipe for another time.

IMG_3705.jpeg.2a2f741e09a4ca7f912e995d3fd0e4e2.jpeg

My neighbour is still in the hospital.  He did suffer a heart attack but is stable, thankfully.  They are doing tests to see if stents, etc are required.  He is in good hands, thankfully.

@RMLincoln Maureen, I was so sorry to hear about your account being hacked 😔. What a mess.  I hope you can recover everything 🙏🏻 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_3667.jpeg.a6f202531dc0bf3865114061582c7fa0.jpeg

Have a great Tuesday, everyone !!!!

• Like 29
  • Haha 6

Good morning.  We are having more cool weather and it was great doing my garden exercise in mid 70s with a strong breeze every few minutes. I got a lot done.  More of the same with extreme fire danger today. 

Rich, thanks for the Daily Report.  After seeing a moving tribute to the Point du Hoc Army Rangers on PBS I pulled Steven Ambrose's D-Day out of the bookcase and started reading it anew.  We visited the battlefields in 2003 and Point du Hoc still had the massive craters created by the massive shelling.   

I think I will pass on the Fajitas and the Apple cocktail but I have had Dr. Thanisch Reisling before and it was excellent. 

Thanks for the Care and Celebrations list Eva.  Prayers for all needing them and the people of Ukraine, especially the people suffering after the burst dam on the Dnipro River. 

Have a great day.  Lots of gardening ahead for me trying to get ahead so I will be ready to fish when the road repairs happen.  Have a wonderful Tuesday.  Nancy 

My first Iris bloom and a frequent visitor in my garden. IMG_20230605_090207678_HDR.thumb.jpg.273edb927a744623cd74491d7fefa8f1.jpg

IMG_20230605_090129880_HDR.jpg

• Like 36

Good morning, everyone!

It was an early start here in mid-Michigan.   The painters arrived shortly before 7 am and we had to be up to open the garage for them.  We also learned to open the windows as soon as they are done with them so that they don't get painted shut.  We've got some good days to celebrate today, although I was never able to get a  yo-yo to work.  I'll have to stick to Higher Ed and gardening.  I think I would like today's drink.  I'm going to have to make a list of the drinks I like and take it with  me on our cruise in July.

Today's meal sounds really tasty.  Never fear, @Mr. Boston, if you don't have an air fryer.  Just cook it up on the top of the stove.  Or, you can do the steak on the grill and the onions and peppers on the top of the stove.  Or you can roast the onions and peppers in the oven.  Lots of options!  We'll start with this recipe:  https://www.myforkinglife.com/air-fryer-steak-fajitas/

airfryerfajitas1.thumb.jpg.45382238905f8fc1db09443b6fc0fdcd.jpg

This next one has a slightly different marinade for the meat.  https://everylittlecrumb.com/air-fryer-steak-fajitas/

airfryerfajitas2.thumb.jpg.17799da8b3ec68c6ac221e04b184d30f.jpg

The marinade for this one is sweeter, using honey.   https://www.agoudalife.com/air-fryer-steak-fajitas/

airfryerfajitas3.thumb.jpg.ef8c2e22163a7c2a15ad64e437b46898.jpg

They all look good and I don't think you can go wrong with any of these recipes.  

@RMLincoln Maureen, I am so sorry you are going through that financial mess.  What kind of despicable creature would do that to others?   I hope it gets straightened out quickly and you can recover your money.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good morning,

Thanks for the Daily. I visited the D Day memorial on my Norway cruise. It was humbling to stand on the beaches and think of those brave men fighting for our freedom. No gardening for me today. It is already too hot to plant and most of the nurseries are out of plants or have a few stragglers. I put one pot of flowers in the front garden that gets automatically watered by the sprinklers. That will have to do until next year. Off to the dentist today. 

Prayers for all and have a great day. 

• Like 31

Good morning. We have an air quality alert due to smoke from the Canadian wildfires.It will get up to 80 later.

I had three uncles in different branches of the Armed Forces who were present at DDay.I almost never heard them speak of their experiences  but all came home.

We have not been to Japan and there are no air fryers here so I will pass on the recipe.

@RMLincoln, I was sorry to hear about your account being hacked.I hope you can recover the funds but what a lot of work with switching  automatic payments.

@cruzn single  I hope the second surgery goes well and that you can feel more comfortable  being out and about.

Miss Camilla  thanks everyone  for their kind remarks. This picture showed her hair color better.And those chubby legs so cute!

13082.jpeg

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

oday’s Care list:

Cruzn single recovering from surgery and 2nd surgery on Thursday

Seasick Sailor with an injured toe

StLouisCruiser’s DGS’s soccer team with injured players

Dobiemom with continued vision issues

1Angelcat’s loss of Ninja and Fluff only a week apart

Marshhawk and DH Chuck with Covid after cruise; Fawn missing

Superoma working to settle her DD DF’s estate

Great loss of life in India due to train crash

Wildfire and storm related victims

Shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine and Sudan

From the rotation:

RMLincoln’s DH’s glaucoma issues

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Luvteaching’s DH in rehab

57redbird’s cousin with glioblastoma

NextOne needing valve replacement surgery

Roy recovering from pneumonia and slowly getting stronger

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Dobiemom with restrictions lifted

Lovely new photo of Miss Camilla

StLouisCruiser’s Ren’s team headed to the Dallas tournament in 2 weeks

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

2 days for ocean sounds (Symphony of the Seas June 8 to June 15)

4 days for Nickelpenny (Zaandam June 10 to 17), celebrating retirement

Suslor (Eurodam to June 10) and aliaschief (Azamara Journey to June 28)

I have not seen Melanie @puppycanducruise recently.

I hope she is okay.

• Like 18

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! Thank you to all the countless brave souls who fought on D-Day.

It was only 63 here this morning. An exquisite start to today! Lots of deer families and young bucks out this morning. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. @Seasick Sailor JOY! OMG, hope your toe is ok. Juliet needs to take care of you!

Today will be filled with my Summer generator maintenance, Bindi walks, walking my new landscape folk around my yard, and a gym class. That just might keep me out of trouble. 

I am fairly sure I could not make it onto the top of my fridge. 

IMG_1368.jpeg.690a63a13c10e5d5866b3923e4602263.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg.bab0f4191d3118f85c64d825b6748f62.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Dr. H. Thanisch Müller-Burggraef Riesling Kabinett Mosel Bernkasteler Badstube 2020

What a name! But it is available, has consumer & critic fans and all released vintages share similar reasonable prices. I would like a taste, but it sounds lovely. I used the 2020 vintage info, since it might be the easiest to find. Online prices start at $21.98.

Winemaker Notes

#34 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

The wine shows a pronounced bouquet of very ripe red and yellow fruits with exotic and slightly spicy notes with well-integrated acidity. The slatey minerality so typical of the Mosel adds further complexity.

WS93
Wine Spectator

Brilliant aromas of jasmine, peach, lime and slate mark this exuberant Riesling. Charming, harmonious and vibrant, with a long aftertaste echoing the fruit, floral and mineral notes. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2

Thanks for daily report!  And all of the info!

yesterday we had our new tankless water heater installed by plumber and electrician - that should permanently stop the water leak that was discovered unfortunately by our downstairs neighbor.  

Best wishes to all!

• Like 26

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Eva, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

My father was part of the "Greatest Generation" that landed on Normandy the second day of the Invasion. He fought until seriously wounded at the Battle of the Bulge. Like many, he never spoke of his experiences.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Hello everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet Report. 

I have returned. I am currently at the airport hotel due to flight delays and getting in around 11 pm last night. Was up at 3:00 am yesterday and spent the whole day flying from Vancouver to Dallas, to Charlotte and finally Pennsylvania. Love the destinations, just hate getting there.

What a fantastic cruise! The views, the staff, the food, all were amazing. 

I loved the ship and I really enjoyed interacting with the staff. Such amazing people who work so hard to make our vacations the best they can be. 

Today I have to get the cats from boarding and will relax a little. 

Thinking of you all. 

Have a safe and healthy day.

• Like 37

Happy Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  D-Day is the day I usually start watching my favorite movie/series Band of Brothers.  However, I am going to try to work tonight.  I worked yesterday on the new campaign, interesting.....

I watched a movie last night, called Foxtrot.  An old movie, on Britbox, they are highlighting Peter O'Toole this month.  Very strange movie.  Odd and depressing.  Depicts mankind at it's worse.

Several years ago DH bought me a mosaic table for the porch, and yesterday for the first time, we sat out and had coffee, made our morning phone calls (caught up with all our doctor appointments) and enjoyed the coolness of the morning.  The downside is that the spiders like to make webs near the door, so when you walk out first, your get webbed!  This morning I took a stick and swirled it around at the door before I went out.  I think I might need to do that every morning.

@grapau27The last time @puppycanducruiseposted was May 26th on the Floating Lounge.

@Nickelpenny I love the fact that you are seeing America while getting to your cruise.  Thanks for taking us along on the ride. If you come back the same way, I recommend Antietam and or Gettysburg for a visit.  

We finally after two weeks got to a grocery store last night!  Yay!  And what did I buy?  Well, stuff to make meatloaf, and Ice cream.  Chocolate Ripple ice cream, it's chocolate with fudge swirls and chocolate chips in it.  Thinking breakfast..... 

ct3xl-sm18.jpg

d054da6c7c5c03ae495bc41331be7005.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9