The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday June 12th, 2023

richwmn

Today is National Jerky Day, National Peanut Butter Cookie Day, and Red Rose Day

Don't think or judge, just listen.--Sarah Dessen, Just Listen

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Pad Thai
Drink of the Day - Green Eyed Ginger
Wine of the Day - The Elder Pinot Noir Martinborough 2019
Destination of the Day - Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt

Today in History:
1931 Al Capone is indicted on 5,000 counts of prohibition and perjury

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord/Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Tallinn, Estonia 1100-2000

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 6-13

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Katakolon, Olympia, Greece eta 6-13

Rotterdam

Stockholm, Sweden 07:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 6-13

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Dover, England 0700-1700

0612World.thumb.png.1242d45369feeb38f61c84aa41cad62b.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12

Good morning friends!  We've had off and on rain all night but right now it's sunny and 65.  It will be a mix of clouds, sun, and rain today with a high of 82.  But most importantly,today is Chuck @catmando's 73rd birthday!  Happy Birthday Chuck!  Hope it's a great day and you enjoy many more of them!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJrQhmSUWyv24YBsn30Jvv2V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1686402977

Thanks to Rich @richwmn for our posting of the Daily and Fleet Report this morning.  We have some interesting days listed such as National Jerky Day (don't eat it), National Peanut Butter Cookie Day (like peanut butter but not the cookies), and Red Rose Day.  I love roses, red or otherwise! 🌹  I like the quote, and find the Day in History an amazing amount of counts to be indicted on.  Whew!

I'm sure Easy Pad Thai will be popular among us and I'm betting Debbie @dfish will have some nice recipes to show us.  The drink Green Eyed Ginger sounds confusing and we have another Pinot Noir this morning.  Thanks ahead of time to Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports. 

Prayers said for our Care list people and others around the world in need.  I hope Dixie @summer slope is feeling better this week.  🙏  Congratulations to those on the Celebration list.  We hope the cruisers are having a fun time and smooth seas.🥂🚢

Port of the day is Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.  Isn't that a type of resort town in Egypt?  I haven't been there before and it's really okay if I don't see it.  Just being realistic here!  Anyway we had that port on Nov. 6, 2021 and Oct. 23, 2022 so the links are below.  Thanks in advance for your photos everyone!

Hoping everyone has a safe and happy day, even if it's a Monday!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Just visited the medieval city of Obidos , Portugal with ancient fortresses walls, churches and too many visitors. Now riding back to ship and will sail at 4:00 PM for Vigo, Spain.

There is a planned sail away with live music and local culinary treats for sampling.

It was an early start today so maybe a Power Nap is required.

Thanks for the reports and have a great weekend.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Green Eyed Ginger Cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts 2 GINGERS® Whiskey
1 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
2 parts Ginger Ale
Lemon Wheel
Lime Wheel

Instructions
Build in order over ice in a tall glass. Garnish with a lemon & lime half moon wheel on the rim.

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 7.02.13 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 10

Today’s Care list:

Cruzn single recovering from surgery

Pope Francis recovering from abdominal surgery

Smitty34877’s DH needing further surgery and chemotherapy

Heartgrove’s Sue with bouts of rapid heart rate

Summer slope with a health issue

Srdamcer with stomach issues

Marshhawk and DH Chuck recovering from Covid after cruise

Great loss of life in India due to train crash

Wildfires with smoke traveling many miles and air quality alerts

Shooting victims 

Citizens of Ukraine, dam explosion with flooding

From the rotation:

SusieKIslandGirl’s half-sister with possible recurrent cancer

57redbird’s cousin with glioblastoma

Tana’s pulmonary issues

RMLincoln’s DH’s glaucoma issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Catmando! (marshhawk’s DH Chuck)

Welcome Home Graham and Pauline

Superoma finding a treasured photograph

Some containment of Canadian wildfires

Dfish at the lake house with siblings

Cruzin Terri feeling better

Luvteaching’s DH showing continued improvement

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

ocean sounds (Symphony of the Seas to June 15), Nickelpenny (Zaandam to  June 17)and aliaschief (Azamara Journey to June 28)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days. I made liver jerky for Ivan - does that count for Jerky day 😂 love roses (hoping the day is for the flower and not the tea 😉)

Nice quote for today, for sure.

Sorry I didn’t get back to the Sunday Daily last night and this morning is too late IMO.  I was  outside yesterday and I felt something in my hair.  Tried to brush it out and it wasn’t leaving.  Finally, I got it and felt a big sting and it flew away.  No idea what it was but within minutes I had a massive headache and feeling unwell.  That ended the day for me.  Watered and walked Ivan and I was done like a dinner and crashed. 😔 

IMG_0704.jpeg.10bd0aaf30ef6443ee37c4fb37e703b3.jpeg

Bruce @aliaschief so glad you got to Obidos.  It’s a fantastic spot.  

Gerry @ger_77, what a lovely gesture your Ukrainian friends  gave to you. ♥️ I am sure you will both treasure your shirts. 

Terri @Cruzin Terri how disappointing your cleaning lady couldn’t come and you were stuck with the job 😔 I’m glad you have been able to get meals for the rest of your time 👍 

oh Eva, @superoma  that picture is a real treasure!  I am so glad you found it and it’s wonderful memories ❤️ 

Chuck @catmando  wished you early in case you don’t read today but since today is the day - Happy Birthday 🎂 

Physio this morning so I had better get moving.  Hopefully I will pick up and be able to get back outside and put a bigger dent into what I started yesterday 🤞 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those Celebrating.

IMG_0719.thumb.jpeg.799e406da2963f3eddb92aec26fc32da.jpeg

Have a great Monday everyone !!!!

• Like 28
  • Haha 7

@catmando   Happy birthday!  🎂

Good Monday morning.  Another day starting out in the 40s and it will be a struggle to get into the 50s but badly needed rain is in the forecast.   We did make our planned trip into town and it was a good day to leave my gardening behind because it blew 20 mph all day.   We got home and had a nice fire in the woodstove that heated the place up quickly.  No wildlife seen on the long drive to and fro.  So far it has been an Otter and a Wolf.  

Thanks for the Daily Report.  I love peanut butter cookies.   I disagree with the quote, when is it wrong to think.  Pass on the noodles and the sweet cocktail and it sounds like another rare wine for us.    Prayers for all on the care and prayer list and the people of Ukraine.    @aliaschief thanks for sharing the lovely photos from you journey in Iberia.   

Have a lovely day.  Nancy

IMG_20230610_091219196_HDR.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning,  thanks for today's report.  It's a nice day today with temperatures getting to about 80F. This week I'm working 4 10 hour days then get Friday off.  We can to this every other week until Labor Day.  I like today's meal suggestion when I can find it without fish. 

After Jasper spent the night demanding attention I came home yesterday to find him like this. 

20230611_123439.thumb.jpg.79e3bfc7936a195b7786e3b727ad4ac7.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 11

Rich, thank you for today’s R & D!  A lovely morning here. No storms last night, though I could hear thunder rumbling South of us. 

Vanessa, thank you for so diligently capturing & sharing our happenings. 

Gym, Bindi visits the Vet, Bindi walks, chores and then dinner at a fantastic Thai restaurant with a bunch of folk I met at my old gym. 

I spent my formative years in Massachusetts, and always pronounced Aunts differently from the insect. I was startled the first time I heard it pronounced like the insect. I can relate to this one!

IMG_1403.jpeg.4b386b0339c429eeb14df848ab69c76d.jpeg

😎

IMG_1404.jpeg.0a8d490c7e3e49a96f6b502a71c9a783.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

The Elder Pinot Noir Martinborough 2019

The hunt is on for the 2019 vintage. I found one New Zealand distributor offering it for $67.00. I did not look op to see if they shipped worldwide.  I had better luck with the 2018 vintage. Outstanding reviews and at least one distributor that ships worldwide for $41.07 + shipping. 

Raymond Chan notes for the 2018 vintage

Bright ruby-red with depth and good transparency, slightly lighter edged. The nose is softly elegant and aromatic; nuances of thyme, minty herbs interweave cherry plums and perfume liftings. Medium-bodied, mouth-filling aromas of cherry plums, raspberries melded with herbaceous thyme, mint, liquorice roots and earth. The palate is sleek with powdery tannin; integrated acidity enlivens the herbaceous character and provides length to an elegantly harmonious finish. Match with crispy pork belly and roasted pigeon over the next 6-8 years. The fruit was sourced from an elevated river terrace at the Southern end of Te Muna Valley, grown following organic principles. Handpicked, destemmed, indigenous yeast fermented in open-top tanks to 14% alc. 18-20 days on skins, pressed and aged in Fench oak barrels on lees for 10 months. 19-/20 pts" - 19/20.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all the contributors.

It’s Red Rose Day so a poem is appropriate.

Roses are Red.

Violets are Blue.

Like my truck bumper.

Your eyes shine like that too.

And National Jerky Day. This is my favorite.

IMG_1056.thumb.png.630d601992ca93e85106ad85f450dc53.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 13

IMG_7548.thumb.jpeg.c7e8b741768cdb8a2109d2bedde02449.jpegI taught a financial literacy class to high school seniors which included a unit on taxes. I started the unit with Capone’s famous quote in order to engage the students.

Despite his public and extravagant lifestyle, Capone never filed a federal income tax return, claiming that he had no taxable income. Elliot Ness and the “T-Men” followed the money, gathering evidence that Capone had made millions of dollars on income that was never taxed. It paid off: Capone was indicted on 22 counts of federal income tax evasion.  Although he was indicted for 5,000 offenses for conspiring to violate the Volstead Act (prohibition), the violation of Volstead Act indictment was not pursued.  He was fined and sentenced to 11 years in jail for tax evasion in October 1931.

Positive thoughts to those who need them. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone!

@catmando

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.acf6e65d0fff9a3f78d9b82d50fb4c12.jpg

I hope your day is a fantastic one!

We went to Traverse City in between rain drops yesterday and had a nice day going in and out of the shops.  Then Sue and I, along with DBIL Rob went in search of a pie.  We ended up with two - one apple and one cherry - to go along with our strawberry salmon.  Everyone agreed that the strawberry relish was like having dessert on their salmon.  

We're heading home today.  It has been a nice get away and we will look forward to the next one.  

Today's meal sounds really good flavor wise, but is way to high in carbs for me.  It isn't just the noodles, but also the brown sugar in the sauce.  Delish let me in for the recipe today, probably because I'm on a different internet provider with a different ISP.  It doesn't have the sugar, but is still high carb.    https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a53823/easy-pad-thai-recipe/

easypadthai1.thumb.jpg.1336fbd275fec0436fc219f9d9a30235.jpg

This easy Pad Thai recipe has rice noodles, chicken, shrimp, tofu, peanuts, scrambled eggs, and fresh vegetables all tossed together in a delicious homemade sauce. It's packed with flavor and can be made in under 30 minutes!  https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/pad-thai/

easypadthai2.thumb.jpg.3bab6796b12c9be2251a2df83e933bb1.jpg

This next one uses honey instead of brown sugar.    https://inquiringchef.com/easy-pad-thai/

easypadthai3.thumb.jpg.72efcd7c177b83c6cc388f40744595c8.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Thank you  Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  While I like peanuts, not so much peanut butter or cookies.  I'll pass on the jerky and while I enjoy roses won't go out of my way to get them.  It was a huge win for the country to get Al Capone indicted.  I have not been to Sham El Sheikh

Happy Birthday @catmando !

I love the Dessen quote.  No idea what the meal is.  My alternative is Chilled Pineapple Pina Colada Soup, Classic Caesar Salad and Broiled New York Strip Loin as served on MS Prinsendam June 12, 2015.

I won't get much done today.  Oral Surgeon consult, thunderstorms, and 2 zoom meetings, church and then fire department.

Roy

• Like 29

Good morning. It is overcast and humid.Hopefully there will be some rain today.

@cat shepard, I laughed when I read your post.My Massachusetts  cousins always made fun of my NY accent and thought it was hysterical when I called their Mom Aunt Shirley. Now my NH DDIL makes fun of my pronunciation .I have no defense as it is a rather strong accent!

I have tried several times to make Pad Thai but maybe these recipes will work.Thanks to Debbie @dfish once again.

@kazu, your experience  yesterday with the insect bite sounds awful.I hope things are better today.Ivan is a lucky dog to get homemade liver jerky!

Have a great day everyone

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Bonjour! Surprised to be posting on page 1 of the Daily. We are enjoying Vence, France for a family wedding, fine weather and, oh, the food! As much as cruise travel can be our favorite way to see the world, staying in a beautiful place like Vence for a week or two is unbeatable. 

IMG_8909.jpeg

IMG_8923.jpeg

IMG_8915.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3