The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 14th, 2023

richwmn

Flag Day (US)

Today is National Bourbon Day, Family History Day, and US Army's Birthday

I wish I could freeze this moment, right here, right now and live in it forever.--Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire

Meal Suggestion for today - Peanut-Cilantro Ground Chicken and Waffles
Drink of the Day - Pineapple Razztini
Wine of the Day - Blank Canvas Chardonnay Marlborough Escaroth 2021
Destination of the Day - Red Bay NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada

Today in History:
1966 Miami beats St Petersburg (Florida State League) 4-3 in 29 innings longest uninterrupted game in organized baseball

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Stockholm, Sweden 0700-1700

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Oosterdam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Kiel, Germany 07:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Bergen, Norway 0700-1700

0614World.thumb.png.884f8003277dd7fcc865c915cc5f4632.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 19

Today’s Care list:

Cruzn single recovering from surgery

Pope Francis recovering from abdominal surgery

Smitty34877’s DH needing further surgery and chemotherapy

Ger_77’s friend with gastrointestinal issues and weight loss

Summer slope with a health issue

Srdamcer with stomach issues

Marshhawk and DH Chuck recovering from Covid 

Durangoscot’s Bandit not feeling well

Wildfires with smoke traveling many miles and air quality alerts

Shooting victims 

Citizens of Ukraine, dam explosion with flooding

From the rotation:

Kazu’s ongoing physiotherapy for her elbow

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Summer slope’s friend with a brain injury

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Norseh2o enjoying time in France

Catmando became a non-smoker

Superoma finding a treasured photograph

Cruzin Terri feeling better

Luvteaching’s DH showing continued improvement

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

7 days for Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina June 21 to July 23)

ocean sounds (Symphony of the Seas to June 15), Nickelpenny (Zaandam to  June 17)and aliaschief (Azamara Journey to June 28)

• Like 28
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Happy Hump Day!

We had a bit of rain overnight, and it should be a sunny 20°C (68°F) this afternoon.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal, I'm not a fan of cilantro.

I'm sure the drink and wine are wonderful.

We haven't been to today's port, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 29

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is 25°C 77°F at the moment.

Happy Flag day in the US.

I don't drink Bourbon.

We did a little family history previously.

If only time would stand still like today's Quote.

Preferably on the back of our ship in the Fjords with a bottle of Marlborough Sauvignon blanc.

Today's food and wine sound good.

Good wishes to all of my Dailyite friends whether you are cruising or unwell.

I hope y'all have a great day.

• Like 29

Pineapple Razztini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Pinnacle® Pineapple Vodka
1 part DeKuyper® Razzmatazz® Schnapps Liqueur
1 part Cranberry Juice
Pineapple Slice
Raspberries

Instructions
Shake with ice and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish the glass with a pineapple slice and raspberry.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 6.48.40 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Good morning friends!  I have a temp of 67F currently with a high of 77 and thunderstorms during the day.  We should be on the lookout for possible tornado warnings as well.  A good day to stay safe inside.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report this day!

I send out a big salute to my country's flag!  I don't drink bourbon.  It would be great to know more about my family's history.  And congrats to the Army on their day of honor.  My dear Father was in the Army in both Europe and Japan in WWII.  Today's quote is a nice one.  I have a feeling today's meal suggestion is too much for me.  A fruity cocktail!🍹  And another Chardonnay for everyone to enjoy.  That's an interesting day in history.  Coincidentally I heard today will be the Congressional baseball game in Washington.  Good luck to my team and I'm not saying which side I root for!  😉  Thanks to our team, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, Ann @cat shepard, and Vanessa @JazzyV for the food, beverage and Care and Celebration list keeping.  

Many prayers for all on the Care list especially Dixie who is not feeling well, and Terry's DH Lou @smitty34877 who is awaiting his surgery.🙏  Also @srdancer, Mary Kay @cruzn single and Pope Francis.  Congratulations to all on the Celebration list!  🥂  Hoping Chuck @catmando is doing okay with giving up smoking.  What a wonderful gift to himself.  Also want to welcome home Melanie @puppycanducruise because I may have forgotten to do so yesterday.

Our port this morning is Red Bay in Labrador Canada.  That was also our port of the day on June 24, 2021 and Dec. 7, 2022.  Below are the links to those dates for your convenience in retrieving photos.  My own photos follow.  And since the date I went there I have purchased bug netting for both of us to put over our hat which will help to keep us comfortable on our next visit in Red Bay (August 2023).

We were there on Aug. 26, 2018 on the Seabourn Quest on our Iceland/Greenland/Canada cruise.  What a fabulous itinerary!  I would do that again!

Red Bay was the buggiest place I'd ever visited.  Even with bug spray on they found a couple of spots to bite me on the back of the neck near both ears.  My hair was covering it too.  The following day I found all those itchy red spots hiding out back there.

Here you go:enhance

enhance

A cute churchenhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

There was a hiking trail on this peninsula that some of the passengers hiked on.  Not me!enhance

A close up of a viewing platform at the trail's end.enhance

A view back to the town from the ship.  All day long there was a whale surfacing in that bay, first along the dock area where the tenders went and then alongside the ship in the afternoon.  Unfortunately he was too fast for me because I never got him in a photo.  Just lots of pictures of the water!enhance

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 6

🇺🇸 Good morning. Hope everyone has a great day.
Yesterday got away from me so I have to read yesterday’s fleet and daily report. I’ll be back. 😉

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 27

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I have a temp of 67F currently with a high of 77 and thunderstorms during the day.  We should be on the lookout for possible tornado warnings as well.  A good day to stay safe inside.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report this day!

I send out a big salute to my country's flag!  I don't drink bourbon.  It would be great to know more about my family's history.  And congrats to the Army on their day of honor.  My dear Father was in the Army in both Europe and Japan in WWII.  Today's quote is a nice one.  I have a feeling today's meal suggestion is too much for me.  A fruity cocktail!🍹  And another Chardonnay for everyone to enjoy.  That's an interesting day in history.  Coincidentally I heard today will be the Congressional baseball game in Washington.  Good luck to my team and I'm not saying which side I root for!  😉  Thanks to our team, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, Ann @cat shepard, and Vanessa @JazzyV for the food, beverage and Care and Celebration list keeping.  

Many prayers for all on the Care list especially Dixie who is not feeling well, and Terry's DH Lou @smitty34877 who is awaiting his surgery.🙏  Also @srdancer, Mary Kay @cruzn single and Pope Francis.  Congratulations to all on the Celebration list!  🥂  Hoping Chuck @catmando is doing okay with giving up smoking.  What a wonderful gift to himself.  Also want to welcome home Melanie @puppycanducruise because I may have forgotten to do so yesterday.

Our port this morning is Red Bay in Labrador Canada.  That was also our port of the day on June 24, 2021 and Dec. 7, 2022.  Below are the links to those dates for your convenience in retrieving photos.  My own photos follow.  And since the date I went there I have purchased bug netting for both of us to put over our hat which will help to keep us comfortable on our next visit in Red Bay (August 2023).

We were there on Aug. 26, 2018 on the Seabourn Quest on our Iceland/Greenland/Canada cruise.  What a fabulous itinerary!  I would do that again!

Red Bay was the buggiest place I'd ever visited.  Even with bug spray on they found a couple of spots to bite me on the back of the neck near both ears.  My hair was covering it too.  The following day I found all those itchy red spots hiding out back there.

Here you go:enhance

enhance

A cute churchenhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

There was a hiking trail on this peninsula that some of the passengers hiked on.  Not me!enhance

A close up of a viewing platform at the trail's end.enhance

A view back to the town from the ship.  All day long there was a whale surfacing in that bay, first along the dock area where the tenders went and then alongside the ship in the afternoon.  Unfortunately he was too fast for me because I never got him in a photo.  Just lots of pictures of the water!enhance

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Great photos Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

I booked another Mediterranean cruise this morning.

Pauline mentioned Panama canal but I said Friends on HAL said you need plenty of insect repellent so she went cold on that.

Australia is on our list but it is a long flight.

We both fancy a New England cruise so that is on our list too.

• Like 20

44 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Happy Hump Day!

We had a bit of rain overnight, and it should be a sunny 20°C (68°F) this afternoon.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal, I'm not a fan of cilantro.

I'm sure the drink and wine are wonderful.

We haven't been to today's port, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Welcome home Melanie.

We were away cruising in the Fjords at the same so I posted photos and videos on Sundays daily plus on our Lastie floataway thread.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.   Well we got our badly needed rain and I think we got over an inch.  I am sure the lawn will appreciate it.   I can take a break from watering.   

Thanks for the Daily Rich.   Our flag is flying out front.   I may celebrate Flag Day with a Jefferson Reserve Bourbon, the only one we have in the house.   I will pass on the meal and the cocktail and I hope the vino isn't rare.   Don't we all wish today's quote would work even just for a day.    

@StLouisCruisers thanks for the pictures from Newfoundland.   It looks like remote place.   It was probably Black Flies that were attacking you.  They love to bite on the neck and ears.  I think their season is over here now the mosquitoes need to go.    

Vanessa thank you for the care and celebrations report.   Prayers for everyone needing one and the people of Ukraine.   

No work on the road yet so the boat still sits in the yard.  My sister and DBIL made it up here yesterday and the rain had basically stopped so they could unload their SUV.  Much gardening ahead for me, weeds grow better with rain.  Have a nice day! Nancy 

• Like 28

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info to all contributors.

Family History Day. Y’all know where this is going. Impossible for me to trace since our family tree doesn’t fork.

National Bourbon Day. My favorite bourbon is pictured below. Name is also what panhandle of Florida is called.

IMG_1059.thumb.png.4370f4d18e2c704820a1a28e2f8eb90d.png

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Dixie, Debbie, and Ann.  Happy Hump Day and happy  Flag Day for our US Dailyites.  I'll pass on the Bourbon, celebrate Family History.  Happy Birthday to the Army.  That was one LONG baseball game.  I've had a number of moments I'd love to freeze in time.  I've been to Red Bay briefly on a 2000 land trip but hardly got out of the coach while we looked through the windows.  I do remember a lot of bugs there.

Prayers for all our dailyites with health issues, especially Tana and @smitty34877 DH. 

I am mystified by the meal   My alternative is Sun Ripened Pineapple Delight, Basel Crusted  Veal Rack, and Tiramisu as served on MS Prinsendam June 14, 2015.

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich.

Happy Flag Day!  🇺🇸

It is lovely out right now, but we are bracing for another hot one. Florida came back with a vengeance yesterday. The breezes helped, but I was exhausted by the end of the day. The pool sure felt good, even though the water was 90 degrees. I need to remember to shut the solar panels system off. 

Vanessa, thank you. I really appreciate how carefully you keep track of all of us. 

Pedicure, Bindi walks, HIIT class, chores & pool time. Definitely pool time. This should keep me busy.  

IMG_1409.jpeg.58ebf086f86e8bf4d3f89deffd9a3f13.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg.416ceca62cb1ce65175c0d4988a54ada.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Blank Canvas Chardonnay Marlborough Escaroth 2021

This New Zealand Chardonnay sounds nice. And there are numerous online distributors willing to ship worldwide for a fairly decent price + shipping. I really hope the rest of the world wakes up to all New Zealand wines soon, not just the Sauvignon Blancs. Online prices start at $28.31 + shipping. 

Cameron Douglas’ notes

Fabulous bouquet with a range of scents from youthful, fresh, some new wood energy and spice with a core of fruit, to a sense of place with warm silty soils and wisps of salty air. Complex. On the palate a full-bodied wine with a satin touch, flavours of white nectarine and ripe grapefruit flesh, apples and a leesy mineral complexity. Great acid line and, judicious use of oak and core of fruit. Wood spice and tannins layer in mouthfeel, some tension and plenty of length. A lovely wine with best drinking from mid to late 2023 through 2029.

95 Points  Outstanding

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 4

Happy Flag Day!

IMG_7553.jpeg.0034eae0c4843d1b3187c100cde512fe.jpeg

Over 45,000 square feet, on the beach for Memorial Day in Ocean City, MD. (photo from OC Dispatch)

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline mentioned Panama canal but I said Friends on HAL said you need plenty of insect repellent so she went cold on that.

We cruised on the Zuiderdam from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego in February 2022.  We didn’t experience any insect problems.  Cruising through the canal is a remarkable experience that I highly recommend.IMG_5019.thumb.jpeg.1c685010ba00f01e0def39e856f42ea6.jpeg

IMG_5037.thumb.jpeg.674c32db49207654ce6d06c1e01ebbb6.jpeg

Positive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Happy Flag Day to all our American Daily-ites.

Interesting collection of days.  Happy birthday to the US Army.  I don’t think we celebrate ours, here.  Leaves me with family history day and our history on our mother’s side has been chronicled and researched going back 300 years.

IMG_0727.thumb.jpeg.9d2bdf8889839ea3f9302926c0d900ab.jpeg

I like the quote.   I know there are moments in my past I wish I could have frozen in time.  And yay, a white wine 👍. And it sounds wonderful!  Most New Zealand wines are 😉 I like the peanut cilantro chicken but wondering about the waffle component?  Looking forward to hearing about it.  Haven’t been to Newfoundland, sadly.  The only province I haven’t gotten to (yet).

Why is it we do these ambitious lists and think it can all be accomplished quickly?  While I worked yesterday I got nowhere near what I wanted to accomplish 😔.  I definitely needed to console myself last night.

IMG_3780.thumb.jpeg.fa68c43e3cf701512594288af3050834.jpeg

It’s raining today - a nice light one so that means housework or cruise planning for 2024 - or both.   I wonder which will be my priority 😂. I have nailed down a couple of nice tours for 2024 and going to get my inquiries off.  Seriously, I will do some cleaning too. 😉 

Vanessa @JazzyV I think you can take me off the rotation list.  Yes I’m still doing physio for the stupid elbow but it’s on going and I’m doing well.  I am even trying (I did say try) to play fetch with my right arm for the first time since Ivan arrived.

IMG_3779.thumb.jpeg.96d000badef65159d0ad676e3937c303.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_0723.thumb.jpeg.e4d23ea54b08786955483f7b2ce6c74b.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

• Like 38
  • Haha 2

Our excursion today takes us to the small city of Santiago. For ages Christians have walked here to pay homage to Apostle Saint James whose remains (ashes)are in a crypt in Santiago Cathedral. It still has over 400,000 walk here on pilgrimages every year. Around 20% do it for religious reasons and the rest do it for the great hike that ends at the cathedral square and hugging the statue of Saint James. All day long you can see backpackers arriving.

We talked to one and he had been walking for eleven day. We have our last port in Spain tomorrow in Bilbao, Spain.

Thanks for reports. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.fb882c4a0ff9c3464d9080552b540c5b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.03a1b81ff4d10ccda1c47cf18acb31d1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5724c7545076b0cca3548b95a4eb358e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3030a4d4b58c39bf437dba5860ca1340.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone!  

We have a cool start to the day here in mid-Michigan, but it will warm to the mid 70s.  My kind of day.  Not a lot on the agenda.  We'll take our morning walk and then we have pedicures this afternoon.  The rain over the weekend really greened things up here.  We have peonies and roses blooming in the wilds.  I refer to the natural part of the yard as the wilds. I spent a lot of time on family history and connected with a cousin to help with that.  We had fun doing it and taking turns going to Ireland to check out cemeteries.  I put what I had into a book with pictures of many of the ancestors and gave each member of the family a copy.  It was met with lukewarm appreciation.  One sibling declared she was an American that lived in the present time and never took her copy.   

The wine sounds like one I would like.  So does the drink.  I would like the chicken part of today's meal without the waffles.  It is kind of a warm chicken salad on a waffle.  Instead of being made with shredded or chopped chicken, it is made with ground chicken.  You can go with the idea of chicken salad on a waffle and make your favorite recipe.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/peanut-cilantro-ground-chicken-and-waffles/

peanutcilantrochickenwaffles1.jpg.8e1bbeebe3a60f805680b2ff8b786f5b.jpg

I only found one recipe for this dish.  I found numerous websites with the recipe, but they were all the same.  So, one is all you get today!

Wishing you all a wonderful day.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

41 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone.   Well we got our badly needed rain and I think we got over an inch.  I am sure the lawn will appreciate it.   I can take a break from watering.   

Thanks for the Daily Rich.   Our flag is flying out front.   I may celebrate Flag Day with a Jefferson Reserve Bourbon, the only one we have in the house.   I will pass on the meal and the cocktail and I hope the vino isn't rare.   Don't we all wish today's quote would work even just for a day.    

@StLouisCruisers thanks for the pictures from Newfoundland.   It looks like remote place.   It was probably Black Flies that were attacking you.  They love to bite on the neck and ears.  I think their season is over here now the mosquitoes need to go.    

Vanessa thank you for the care and celebrations report.   Prayers for everyone needing one and the people of Ukraine.   

No work on the road yet so the boat still sits in the yard.  My sister and DBIL made it up here yesterday and the rain had basically stopped so they could unload their SUV.  Much gardening ahead for me, weeds grow better with rain.  Have a nice day! Nancy 

Nancy, as I read your post I remembered that yesterday I had an itchy place on my neck behind my ear.  I just went and looked with my hand mirror and have a patch of itchy red skin there.  I'm feeling like I'm back in Red Bay again.  I just put some itch cream on it.  Too bad my dermatologist appointment isn't for another three weeks because I'd like to show her.  

Graham @grapau27 I didn't notice a problem with insects while on my Panama Canal cruise either.  We went in March of 2016 on Westerdam.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It looks like a lovely day ahead of us with blue skies and temperatures in the seventies.Thunderstorms may come later.

I will cheer for flag day and wish the Army a Happy Birthday. We have been to Red Bay and met quite a few bugs. I remember my DB and DH  had matching red welts at the back of their heads. We walked around a bit and enjoyed the tremendous views. There was a small iceberg floating in the harbor in July.

Yesterday was a tough day. Believe me, I am extremely grateful that treatment exists for the type of tumor DH has but it is not easy to go through. The chemo is given during surgery. The hospital stay can be five days to a week . We were very impressed with the oncologist and all the staff we met. DH and I both worked in health care and the car ride home involved lots of “gallows humor”. DD did not approve but I was happy to have a few laughs.

Thank you so much all of you who continually offer your support,positive thoughts and prayers. We are grateful.

Be careful out there…..

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We took the excursion that goes to the Pacific while on the partial Panama Canal cruise this January/February. DH, who normally gets "eaten alive" by bugs didn't get one bite - and he didn't use the repellent he had with him. I never use repellent and also survived without a bite.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1