The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 27th, 2023

richwmn

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Ok, no worries.

I’m so sorry ,my offer was too late to give you a break 😔 

I’m just in very slow motion these days and weighted down.

Jacqui, you don’t owe me an apology. I posted at the last minute. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

If it’s the habit that I think is the reason I met you I would love to hear about it if you don’t mind to share with me down the road if it works.  

Best wishes for success

Yes it is and that is a BIG concern for me.  I don't want to change that part of my cruising.  I will let you know if and when it works - or doesn't.  🤨  Hugs!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Late to the party today. Started very early at Cora’s (a breakfast place) for my birthday breakfast. Then we headed to Leamington to see the lawyer for our house sale money and the bank to clear up those accounts. (Another two weeks there!). Then we went to help my sister clean  out her in laws condo which has a closing date on august 11. Not a way I would have chosen for my day but we did get cupboards and storage room cleaned out. They took us out for a birthday lunch at Jose’s. We had a chance to sit at Leamington Marina and harbour while we were waiting for them and I finally understood why my father loved to go down there. Very peaceful and a lovely promenade.

we had some severe thunderstorms here in Essex county yesterday, trees uprooted, house damages, possible tornado. Windsor was spared but the south part of the county along Lake Erie was hard hit. More storms predicted for tomorrow and Saturday. 

prayers for those that need them and I have already raised my glass for those celebrating.

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Yes it is and that is a BIG concern for me.  I don't want to change that part of my cruising.  I will let you know if and when it works - or doesn't.  🤨  Hugs!!

We can still meet at the Sea view Bar.  Nicest people are there IMO.  where else would I have found some one kind enough to help me with my elbow and the infirmary issues ?  I will never forget your kindness and help for the 2 days and the disembarkation day ♥️

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Terri, I'm glad you made it to Jacksonville last night and that you had a good night's sleep.  Safe travels home today.  BTW, your a/c problems could be the thermostat.  We have one like yours, and we had a similar problem.  It happened because there was a blip with the internet, and the thermostat lost the connection.  We could still see the thermostat on the app, but could not control it.

Lenda, the A/C problems are major.  The main board is shot and needs to be replaced.  Just a reminder.  This is a brand new system that was installed in January.  Today we went out and bought a portable A/C so that we can sleep here .  The house is as hot as hell.  There is no main board to replace it in Savannah so they have to order it.  Tomorrow is Friday.  That means we are MAYBE looking at Monday.  The weather over the weekend is hot and rainy.  The new floor is now warped.  I am going out of my mind.

Now for the Post Office.  I got there at 2 pm.  Service hours are from 10 to 12 and 2-4.  I was told there was no mail.  I have Informed Delivery so i knew that was not true. I spoke to the person at the window who said that they would call the carrier to see if she had it.  I was told to go home and they would call me after they got in touch with her. Well, i never got a call.  I went over to my neighbor and asked him if any mail was left for us yesterday.  And he told me that the mail was left from day 1 of our trip until today.  He picked it up every day.  Cruella must have just ripped up the yellow card and threw it away and never notified the carrier.  If it wasn’t for my neighbor, I do not what would have happened to the mail.  

I have to go back to the PO tomorrow and talk to someone.  I just have to calm down.

A neighbor down the street passed away on Monday.  His name is Frank.  He has been sick and very frail.  Just asking for prayers for his wife. They have no children.  He does have some family here in the Hilton Head area and she in New Jersey.  I will go over to see her tomorrow

Jim has an appointment tomorrow with Dermatology to assess what has happened with his head after the MOHS surgery.  He hit his head twice in that area and it has been bleeding.  So I was able to get an appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

I feel like I never went away.

I have not yet read all the posts.  Will do that later.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10

34 minutes ago, superoma said:

Late to the party today. Started very early at Cora’s (a breakfast place) for my birthday breakfast. Then we headed to Leamington to see the lawyer for our house sale money and the bank to clear up those accounts. (Another two weeks there!). Then we went to help my sister clean  out her in laws condo which has a closing date on august 11. Not a way I would have chosen for my day but we did get cupboards and storage room cleaned out. They took us out for a birthday lunch at Jose’s. We had a chance to sit at Leamington Marina and harbour while we were waiting for them and I finally understood why my father loved to go down there. Very peaceful and a lovely promenade.

we had some severe thunderstorms here in Essex county yesterday, trees uprooted, house damages, possible tornado. Windsor was spared but the south part of the county along Lake Erie was hard hit. More storms predicted for tomorrow and Saturday. 

prayers for those that need them and I have already raised my glass for those celebrating.

Eva, a very happy birthday to you.

\HBCat.jpg.fff01bccef0196fe3ca3f761d443b695.jpg

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

The latest word on the wildfire is it's still at 300 acres and 30% contained.  There are working hard with bulldozers to increase the buffer between the fire and threatened areas.  While no more houses have been destroyed, there are other structures that could be in danger, especially if the winds pickup.

The garlic shrimp was a big hit tonight, even if I didn't follow the recipe exactly.  I'm glad I didn't try to add the entire two pounds of shrimp.  We managed to eat it all, even though I could have cut back some on the veggies.  I realized when I started cooking, I didn't have Sesame oil, but olive oil worked just as well.  I also left off the cilantro and seeds.  In addition to the broccoli and green beans, I added mushrooms.  

We decided that with just veggies and rice it would be a good side dish, especially with shrimp tempura.  And other proteins can be used instead of shrimp.  If it wasn't for the Daily, and especially Debbie @dfish and Tina @0106  I probably would not have had the courage to attempt this dish or to make substitutions.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, right after 9/11, just before we sailed from Barcelona, we bought a Toledo sword that is supposed to be a replica of King Arthur's Excalibur.  It was packed in a box, but you should have seen the eyes of the guy manning the x-ray machine in the port when it went through the machine.  They had us wait, and called the ship's security officer.  He let us bring it on board, but  kept it until the day before we reached Ft. Lauderdale.  With the help of our cabin steward, extra cardboard, and plenty of tape, we strengthened the box.  Then we watched the reaction of the ticket agent when we checked the box in for our flight from Ft. Lauderdale to DFW.

@Cruzin Terri Terri, I'm sorry it wasn't just the thermostat and that your new floors are warped.  Hopefully, the a/c manufacturer will cover the cost of new floor and the labor.  I'm glad your neighbor got your mail.  At least, it wasn't sent back.  Our condolences to your neighbor on the death of her husband.  For what it's worth, welcome home.  I hope you can get a good night's sleep, and that Jim gets a good report tomorrow from the dermatologist.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Now for the Post Office.  I got there at 2 pm.  Service hours are from 10 to 12 and 2-4.  I was told there was no mail.  I have Informed Delivery so i knew that was not true. I spoke to the person at the window who said that they would call the carrier to see if she had it.  I was told to go home and they would call me after they got in touch with her. Well, i never got a call.  I went over to my neighbor and asked him if any mail was left for us yesterday.  And he told me that the mail was left from day 1 of our trip until today.  He picked it up every day.  Cruella must have just ripped up the yellow card and threw it away and never notified the carrier.  If it wasn’t for my neighbor, I do not what would have happened to the mail.  

I have to go back to the PO tomorrow and talk to someone.  I just have to calm down.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear about the A/C problem and your new floor is warped.  As for the post office, it sounds just like the nightmare I went through with our local P.O. 4 years ago.   I had paid for a P.O. Box but they never used it.  Instead the carrier kept delivering until the box was full, and then he put a note on our front door (!!) pretty much letting anyone know we were away.  If it weren't for our neighbor who picked up our mail, I don't know what would have happened.  Oh, and they wouldn't reimburse us for the post office box either.  After that I got Informed Delivery because I just can't trust our local service.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I was so happy to see my sweet sister on the Daily last night! @DeeniEncinitasDenise I hope you and David are enjoying your Maui home. Any painting projects? How's Paisley? We have a new fur baby! Oliver. 

❤️Love you sis!  Think of you and Allen often! We are all blessed and  healthy. Baby Paisley had her 14th birthday on 4th of July 

and doing great! Oliver is precious!!  What a sweetheart! Yes doing a lot of painting and David and I are loving life. I might not write a lot like I used to, but when I can I read the Daily and remember all the great times we all had! It was important for me to speak up about Annie’s husband Chuck. That is why I wrote last nite. I have seen a lot of oral mouth cancer but I also know with new technology there is hope from 20 plus years ago.
Enjoy life, stay well both of you, keep on cruising !!!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺 Denise😊

• Like 14

@superoma Happy Birthday, Eva! 🎂

@Cruzin Terri Oh my, I hate hearing your news. I assume the thermostat is under warranty, but that's little consolation when it's so hot. I'm glad you got a portable unit, so you can at least sleep. And the floors warped? You can't get a break. I would be so mad at the Post Office! I was so upset when for one week my mail got delivered while I was away, because there was a substitute who didn't get notified of the mail hold. Condolences on the passing of your neighbor; prayers for his wife and friends. I hope Jim's Dermatology appointment tomorrow has good results.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I hope there is more fire containment soon. 

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruzin Terri Oh my, I hate hearing your news. I assume the thermostat is under warranty, but that's little consolation when it's so hot. I'm glad you got a portable unit, so you can at least sleep. And the floors warped? You can't get a break. I would be so mad at the Post Office! I was so upset when for one week my mail got delivered while I was away, because there was a substitute who didn't get notified of the mail hold. Condolences on the passing of your neighbor; prayers for his wife and friends. I hope Jim's Dermatology appointment tomorrow has good results.

Vanessa, it is not the thermostat.  it is the whole HVAC unit.  It is under warranty.  They just need to get the parts.  I think i should have the unit replaced.  If it breaks after 6 months, it is never going to be right.

Thanks for your good thoughts.

Terri

• Like 8

5 hours ago, superoma said:

Happy birthday.

bday-905.gif

• Like 7

13 hours ago, kazu said:

We can still meet at the Sea view Bar.  Nicest people are there IMO.  where else would I have found some one kind enough to help me with my elbow and the infirmary issues ?  I will never forget your kindness and help for the 2 days and the disembarkation day ♥️

Lots of hugs to you!!  ❤️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Lenda, the A/C problems are major.  The main board is shot and needs to be replaced.  Just a reminder.  This is a brand new system that was installed in January.  Today we went out and bought a portable A/C so that we can sleep here .  The house is as hot as hell.  There is no main board to replace it in Savannah so they have to order it.  Tomorrow is Friday.  That means we are MAYBE looking at Monday.  The weather over the weekend is hot and rainy.  The new floor is now warped.  I am going out of my mind.

A neighbor down the street passed away on Monday.  His name is Frank.  He has been sick and very frail.  Just asking for prayers for his wife. They have no children.  He does have some family here in the Hilton Head area and she in New Jersey.  I will go over to see her tomorrow

Jim has an appointment tomorrow with Dermatology to assess what has happened with his head after the MOHS surgery.  He hit his head twice in that area and it has been bleeding.  So I was able to get an appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

God Bless,

Terri

I cannot like your post!  You can't seem to catch a break.  Things have to get better!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

God Bless,

Terri

Sending prayers and condolences to Frank's wife.

• Like 3

On 7/27/2023 at 7:21 AM, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone.  A strange group of days, my houseplants are too big to take on walks, bagpipes are ok for special occasions but never have been on stilts, closest is a Pogo Stick.  Thanks for starting us off each day @richwmn.  Quote is a good one. Pass on the chicken, the cocktail and probably the wine from Lodi.  THanks fit the photos of today's port @StLouisCruisers.  We have been there many times all on BHBs.  I probably have all my good photos on my laptop. We are returning next winter and I think we will be three times on our multi back to back trip.

Prayers for everyone on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  Prayers for @Scrapnanawho we haven't heard much about since she returned from her Grand Africa.  

We are heading into town today to get a break from the heat.  Tonight we will have a cold front come in sparking predicted severe thunderstorms well after we have returned home.  Have a great Thursday!  Nancy

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.  I'm still recovering from cancer and hoping to be able to cruise in January if I can get my strength back.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.  I'm still recovering from cancer and hoping to be able to cruise in January if I can get my strength back.

So great to hear from you.  Praying for a continued recovery..

Roy

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 4:50 AM, Scrapnana said:

So happy to hear from you Kathi!  Sending you lots of love and prayers for your continued healing and that you get your strength back so you can cruise like you love to do!  I miss you!

• Like 3

On 7/31/2023 at 2:50 PM, Scrapnana said:

Great hearing from you. Blessings and prayers for continued recovery. You have been missed.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone.  I spent six months in and out of the hospital and a convalescent center.  I have now been home a little more than a month.  One of these days I am going to plug in my computer and get back to Cruise Critic more often (I am terribly slow typing on my phone).

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3