Latest Celebrity Email Definitely Looking for Younger Cruisers

sunonfire

Those short cruises pretty much have always been party cruises. However, with Coco Cay, I can see many families doing this  as well as the partiers. We  book cruises longer than 7 nights when possible. That almost insures very few children and an older demographic. 

• Like 5

I also took note of the fact that in this email from Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean is mentioned in the description of Coco Cay.  They are obviously not marketing to me as I cruise with my husband not my girlfriends.  I also cruise Celebrity because it is NOT Royal Caribbean.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Celebrity has targetted a younger demographic  for a few years now, so I'm not sure why this would come as a surprise.

.... methinks that many of us have not been paying attention to such details... long term planning on X's part(y). LOL

bon voyage

• Like 3

2 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Families and any partying demographic can generally be avoided if so desired by taking longer cruises from more exotic departure ports away from school holidays.

It’s almost two completely different experiences.

You're not wrong, but we are not all necessarily able (nor care to) take those kinds of cruises.  And if you want to stay with Celebrity, you are generally limited to cruises of at most 11 or 12 days, and those seem to be dwindling in number.  And it has been my experience in the past year or so that even on longer cruises (not exotic ones) there are more young people with young kids than ever before, regardless of the time of year.  Not sure how they are doing their schoolwork but that is the parent's concern, not mine.

They are finally targeting my demographic. Cruisers in their 30s who want a more luxurious travel experience without the stuffiness of the high end lines. 

Maybe Celebrity is realizing their clients are starting to no longer be able to travel due to age etc and they need a new generation. I just hope it continues to target towards adults and not a line filled with children.

• Like 4

Personally we like seeing all ages represented on cruises. Even on the Transatlantic that we were just on there were a few young families with young kids among the dominant senior set.  These were mostly pre schoolers but a few looked to be school age.  It was refreshing to see them.  On the next cruise after the transatlantic the demographics were much different now that some of the European schools were out on holiday.  The dining staff really felt it with all the really late night diners.   

We know many parents who feel that travel is a great education in itself.   We enjoy seeing them and really appreciate it when the kids are well disciplined and polite. I know this isn’t always the case!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

X has failed to heed the lesson that it's much more expensive to attract a new customer than to retain an existing one.  We're in our 60's and have been sailing with X since '93.  We like the product (maybe not as much now as before) and feel comfortable.  Our three thirty something daughters have sailed with us on X (as well as Royal, Princess, Carnival and Viking).  They are Elite thanks to us but feel no loyalty towards X.  They are looking for the most interesting itinerary and don't care if it's a cruise or land tour.  Flashy marketing might bring them aboard once but they'll never be loyalists.

2 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

They are finally targeting my demographic. Cruisers in their 30s who want a more luxurious travel experience without the stuffiness of the high end lines.

Just turned 40 and really havent seriously looked at other cruise lines. We have never been big party types but enjoy a nice drink and good food in a nice environment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it’s a good idea to try different lines and different products as different lines appeal to different people.  It’s only after you have tried different products that you know what works best.  We started out with RCCL but have settled in more with Celebrity but it’s only if they have an itinerary that works for us. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Maybe Celebrity is realizing their clients are starting to no longer be able to travel due to age etc and they need a new generation. I just hope it continues to target towards adults and not a line filled with children.

One older generation replaces the past older generation. Celebrity might be wise to follow the advice that "if it ain't not broke, don't fix it".

Edited by Orator

This is good news to me - I love Coco Cay - its my favorite Cruise Line Island.  I would go on a cruise that does a 3 day, 2 overnight stay at Coco Cay.  

Celebrity has huge competition if they are rebranding to a younger market - not sure how well they would compete with Virgin (haven't gone on one yet, just heard and its on my list to try).  And, local Floridians have a much, much cheaper option for short party cruises with Margarittaville (also on my list).   

That said, I'm all for Celebrity adding Coco Cay to its list of ports.  

• Like 1

Much prefer Labadee to Coco Cay which to me is an island version of Disney Springs. But Celebrity stopped sailing to Labadee quite a while ago. Anyway, Labadee might be too dangerous now with gangs controlling so much of Haiti. In short, Celebrity pushing trips to Coco Cay, where I visited twice last year, is a non-starter for me. Plus, the reason I ended up there at all was it was just part of a better itinerary.