The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday November 2nd, 2023

richwmn

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily update.  Cold here on this All Souls Day.  Not sure I’d want an epitaph, I think I’d rather be quiet when that day comes.  Men make dinner every night here, today will be leftover chicken marsala.  I really like Twain’s quote today, it reminds me to live a good life.  No on the meal suggestion, the combination doesn’t appeal to me.  Yes to today’s drink and wine though.  I have not been to today’s port.  Prayers for all on today’s prayer list including @grapau27 as he reflects on his dear mam and @Sharon in AZ on the loss of her aunt.  Cheers to all of you for being a part of this special place! 🥂

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is quite nippy here and we remain very grateful that the boiler is working well.I have progressed to wearing my heavier winter jacket as well as gloves when dog walking.

@aliaschief, Bruce, was it still dark when your ship passed the Statue of Liberty? The last time I saw the Intrepid it was in the company of DS’s Cub  Scout troop. I really enjoyed it but it was hard to keep up with those boys.

My DD DH was not known for his skills in the kitchen. There were times when he had to prepare meals and I noticed the kids were very interested in learning how to cook after that. 
I will pass on the recipe today as curry and I are not friends. Today I am making a bean and pasta soup for our dining pleasure. I think corn bread will go well with it.

I have not been to Japan. The pictures yesterday of Juneau were outstanding. Thank you to all contributors.

We are expecting about forty people on Saturday for Lou’s last party. I am grateful that DD and DS have done the organizing for this as it has been very emotional for me. I look forward to seeing my Massachusetts, Connecticut  and New Hampshire family members . 

Yes it was still dark but pretty.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

Another cold morning here in mid-Michigan.  We have an expected high of 48F.  We are not doing leaves today.  The leaf fall has slowed considerably and Sue says what is left now can stay there.  I will probably go out with the blower one more time.  Other than booking our Hawaii cruise, we've got nothing planned for the day.  

Today's meal will be a pass for us.  It is way too high in carbs to even consider.  One of the recipes gave the carb count as 97, more than my daily allowance.  I do best when I keep the carbs around 30 per meal.  But, for those who can tolerate the carbs and like chickpeas, I have three great recipes.  The first one comes from Ahead of Thyme.  The carb count there is more reasonable.   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/curried-chickpea-stuffed-acorn-squash/

curriedchickpeastuffedsquash1.thumb.jpg.cdaa2bbf5b323bdcad4f57cdf76e7902.jpg

This next one is the carb overload recipe.  It also is done in the pressure cooker (insta pot).  https://www.veganricha.com/pressure-cooker-curried-chickpea-stuffed-acorn-squash/

curriedchickpeastuffedsquash2.thumb.jpg.474729ebd1230a615f23178fbfcfafd5.jpg

This last one isn't a curry, but has chimichurri and a lemon yogurt sauce.  https://www.loveandlemons.com/acorn-squash-chickpeas-chimichurri/

curriedchickpeastuffedsquash3.thumb.jpg.6f804e430f797018214f94768c406631.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Good Morning to All and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  There is no male in my household so........  Twain's quote matches All Soul's Day and Plan Your Epitaph (which I don't want to do right now).  I think I would like the meal and wine, love the drink, and never been to the port.  Indonesia is probably partying today!

Good day yesterday.  I know the Ag teacher but I didn't know she also teaches Welding!  They were working on a CAD program to design nameplates and then a student of the month plaque.  It was cool.  I usually buy tomatoes and cucumbers they grow at the end of the school year so it was interesting to see the greenhouse.  Back there today.  

I thought I would make an appt with a ortho doc about a week after my MRI is scheduled so that is done.  I want to have some answers before I leave in 3 weeks.  After some "feelings hurt/feeling ignored" by me and getting ticked off, I did make an appt for a massage for Sunday.  So I am doing what is recommended for my leg but I won't do daily dose of NSAIDs.  

Still cool here in the mornings (52F) but the days will be getting warmer heading up to the 90s.  I think that is what I like about AZ - plus the sunsets are to die for!!

Thoughts for the world and all on the care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

image.thumb.jpeg.9c4aa63b6376141d9477a9665ba8d7f0.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Haha 14

Good morning from a still cold but warming central Texas.  It is 34F and feels like 34F.  At least, the 2 mph breeze won't make it feel any colder.  The 92% humidity should drop as the sun warms the temperature since the dew point if 32F.  This afternoon we should see a high of 62F.  There is not much on the agenda today.

Three interesting days with All Souls' Day being important to many people.  DH doesn't make dinner, but does do a great job on the grill -- if the weather ever cooperates.  I won't be making dinner tonight either since I'll just be warming the leftover pizza.  I don't think I'll plan my epitaph, but I'll share my favorite one.  When Rodney Dangerfield died, at his request, his epitaph was "There goes the neighborhood."

The Mark Twain quote is a good one, and while I don't fear life, I don't think I'm prepared to die yet.

We'll pass on the meal mainly because of curry and chickpeas.  We'll also pass on the drink, but I would like to try the wine.

We have not been to Kochi, Japan

Today is an important day in Indonesian history, and I hope all the Indonesians on BHBs are able to celebrate.

@grapau27  Graham, I'll be thinking of you and Pauline as you remember your dear mam on her 12th Remembrance Day.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, thanks for sharing some of those epitaphs.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for filling in for Dixie @summer slope today.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad your boiler is working.  It is good that your DD and DS could plan you DD DH's last party and relieve you of an emotional burden.  

396705804_337954922248025_1472227723075532664_n.thumb.jpg.65b8f12a82897fcc970031c19a3038cc.jpg

396709473_722865489867919_7130046904406589090_n.thumb.jpg.11b694ddf8028d1eb49a8dc2fd4917ab.jpg

397426302_24924610820471319_1009589465082196356_n.thumb.jpg.00e27209bf605b15c7b465110579d2b5.jpg

395875542_716688517151387_1476563187243734265_n.jpg.47a1a692397b70c25552601b56883340.jpg

396313948_722831769877995_8606000787288386178_n.thumb.jpg.48f132d4b6d4d34fd65e39cc752b5c90.jpg

394633508_846071554186297_5508321505024142357_n.thumb.jpg.66aabaeb39f6eafefc8d0cf5e1943009.jpg

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 23

First, Vanessa @JazzyV I believe I forgot to mention you this morning.  Thank you for the Care and Celebrations lists again today.  Always a great job!  I do hope you had a little better night and can find relief from pain soon.

Does anyone know if Volendam went to Alofa yesterday?  It looks like it skipped there on cruisemapper.  I haven't had time to read all the threads yet.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. It’s 35 degrees outside as we sail into NYC. Believe I will watch from our cabin which at least I will see Lady Liberty. We overnight here so will capture the full surroundings on our early sail away tomorrow afternoon.

Last night”s formal dinner was wonderful. We chose the beef which were individual portions. So tender and delicious. Posted the menu’s on yesterday’s Daily and will post some pics this morning. After dinner we enjoyed the ships singer and dancers as they featured Broadway songs of Sir Tim Rice. He is the consultant to entertainment shows on Seabourn.

We are going to tour the Intrepid (aircraft carrier) museum this morning and cancelled a later lunch. We have had enough food.

Thanks for the reports and have a great day. Bruce

PS. The dessert was really good so I guess it wanted to be seen several times and the extras won’t delete! WiFi has been pretty good all trip and we get here and it is off and on.

image.thumb.jpeg.74fc626a272841995b79fb125e6f36bd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2985baf68ca2443505d1f304427e5524.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2985baf68ca2443505d1f304427e5524.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2985baf68ca2443505d1f304427e5524.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2985baf68ca2443505d1f304427e5524.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ef34818aa3a41128ca0de8b2008b94c2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.25c459076fad77a8072ce9043ef84003.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8db4f0b1173b0779eca7f27fa28ad659.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2996214d710bb7388f654fb8853c3c6a.jpeg

The beef looks delicious!  Glad I chose it.  And the dessert deserves to be shown three times.  Have a great day!

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. 

Last night was a no sleeper. Got up at 3, finished my book and 2 cups of coffee.

Prayers lifted to every person on our care list. I am really sad over the recent unrest in Israel. 

Thanks to our food and beverage ladies and thank you Sandi for filling in for Dixie this morning. 

Not much this morning but market. Tonight is girl's game night. So I'll make Cosmo's and have a bottle of wine on hand.

Wishing everyone a happy day.

Epitaphs:

image.png.77b094d5024863f78b3abb834b50b552.png

image.png.4ad37ca3d1a5e88161f4be9b266153f0.png

This is funny:

image.png.a296a4845fe390237c9f8bca61ca5f7f.png

Joy, for some reason I awoke at 2 (after going to bed about 10:15) and didn't sleep after that.  Up at 5 to exercise, breakfast, Daily and now I am planning my afternoon nap.  The napping room is blessedly dark!

Posting for Dixie was no problem.  She did all the work!

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

@StLouisCruisers Thank you Sandi for the Drink of the Day!

It was my pleasure, Jack.

45 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, it’s good afternoon here.  Actually not that good, our stop in Cartagena was cancelled due to the wind, (as @kochleffel mentioned), which will be increasing  It’s part of the huge system affecting Graham in England, and I’m thinking may  affect our future ports in Spain and Portugal.  In fact , Pat said at lunch “Won’t it be funny if our next port is Fort Lauderdale!”  Not that funny…

This morning, we went to the talk given by the executive chef on board.  He is funny.  I asked the cracker question….  He said he hoped to find some in one of the pallets they are still unpacking.  I’m not sure that really answered my question, but we’ll see if they do appear.  I did manage to find some in Barcelona, so I come prepared.

I knew immediately this morning from all the tooting (to the pilot boat) that we had our old friend, Captain van Eerten, running things.  The pilot boat came, evidently there were discussions , and then the pilot left.  

Thanks to you and Paul @kochleffel for letting us know about skipping Cartagena.  That's a real shame since it's a nice port.  I really, really hope Pat's statement doesn't come true!🙁

39 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is quite nippy here and we remain very grateful that the boiler is working well.I have progressed to wearing my heavier winter jacket as well as gloves when dog walking.

@aliaschief, Bruce, was it still dark when your ship passed the Statue of Liberty? The last time I saw the Intrepid it was in the company of DS’s Cub  Scout troop. I really enjoyed it but it was hard to keep up with those boys.

My DD DH was not known for his skills in the kitchen. There were times when he had to prepare meals and I noticed the kids were very interested in learning how to cook after that. 
I will pass on the recipe today as curry and I are not friends. Today I am making a bean and pasta soup for our dining pleasure. I think corn bread will go well with it.

I have not been to Japan. The pictures yesterday of Juneau were outstanding. Thank you to all contributors.

We are expecting about forty people on Saturday for Lou’s last party. I am grateful that DD and DS have done the organizing for this as it has been very emotional for me. I look forward to seeing my Massachusetts, Connecticut  and New Hampshire family members . 

Good wishes for you and family as you prepare for your celebration of your DD DH Lou Saturday.  Seeing your out of state family again will be so good for you.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone!  A great group of days and quote, thanks @richwmn.   Instead of John cooking dinner tonight we are going to a BBQ place nearby for lunch so I will order extra for dinner.   Listening too my siblings bicker about the closing of my father's estate I have been thinking a lot about going to a nearby funeral home and setting up my life celebration.   My late DH had set up everything for his except for his obituary and of course the costs went up since he prepaid.   It made my life easier to have it done ahead of time.  A wonderful quote by Mark Twain.   Pass on our high carb meal, the cocktail if I am going to drink so much booze I will have a double of something really good neat.  Pass on the Pinot Noir.   I have not been to Japan but look forward to photos of the port city.

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports @JazzyV.   Prayers that baby Murphy is doing well on the CPAP.   @mamaofami I hope that Sam continues to gain strength at home.   @Cruzin Terri I was so happy to read that you and your DH have scheduled another cruise.  Prayers for everyone needing them in our group.  Prayers for those in war zones suffering from others' hate, Israel, Ukraine and Gaza.   

My lunch meeting was fun yesterday and I car pooled with a lady from town and it was nice to get to know her better.   It is 40 degrees and another gray day here.  All the plants behind the garage for the sale shrugged off the hard freeze and look happy again.   I will have to water them one more time before we retire the hose, hopefully tomorrow. John brought the giant Christmas tree  in yesterday and lit it, we are getting in the Christmas spirit.  I will be glued to the TV Friday and Saturday watching the Breeder's Cup from Santa Anita so I will start hauling up the decor from the basement.  We did not decorate last year because we were on the long voyage on the Volendam beginning on December 27.  Tomorrow we will be 60 days out from our winter escape.   Very few days with sunlight for the last 6 weeks.   Have a lovely day!  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

@Vict0riann  The forecast is for only mild wind tomorrow at Málaga.

@Quartzsite Cruiser The nutrition plan I follow at home counts a glass of wine as a serving of fruit.

I like that part of your nutrition plan.  Since I fill the glass a bit fuller than what is considered a glass and usually top it off and have another glass, I might get close the the recommended servings of fruit.  🍷 😉

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Haha 18

Not all mornings at sea turn out perfectly.  This is from a 2014 round trip transatlantic, eastbound on Queen Mary 2 and westbound on Wind Star.  On November 2 QM2 was near the midpoint of the voyage, and there was not a true sunrise but a first appearance of the sun:

1stsun1101.jpg

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I like that part of your nutrition plan.  Since I fill the glass a bit fuller than what is considered a glass and usually top it off and have another glass, I might get close the the recommended servings of fruit.  🍷 😉

Lenda

You might not like the plan that much. It only counts one glass of wine as fruit; the other two servings have to be actual, fresh or frozen fruit, and it’s only four ounces of wine. A standard pour is five.

It’s 3:00 p.m. and I am inexplicably still completely sober. I’m not making proper use of HIA. In other news, the laundry I sent right before dinner was back after lunch today.

• Like 21
  • Haha 7

CONGRATS to the Rangers!! 🥳🥂I missed the series and will miss the parade,  but I would not miss this cruise.

I can get behind a couple of the days; no epitaph for me when the time comes. Not sure I agree w/Mr Twain.🤔

Hard pass to the meal, no thanks to the wine, probably on the drink and never been to the port.

Important day in history for Indonesia.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 22

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Praying for all souls - wherever they may be!  DH  doesn't make dinner often unless I ask him to grill something.  He does buy pizza, though, so that counts, doesn't it?  I'm pretty sure my epitaph will read:  Cruising Through The Stars.

I'm sorry to see that our cold weather has such far reaching tentacles; this morning we're looking at -5C (23F) and expecting to reach 0 (32F), so it's jackets and gloves from this point on.  Later it will be the addition of warm scarves, switching out to heavier jackets, and then knit hats as well. 

Yesterday we received our new cable modem (after downgrading our cable channels because we had too many we weren't watching), and of course, there weren't good instructions on how to set it and the television up together.  I checked the neighbourhood to see if the tech was available, but the grade 2 kid next door was still in school, so I invited a neighbour over to help.  A full hour later we got 1 tv working.  I might attempt the second one today after seeing (and hopefully remembering) what our neighbour did.  

DH had a great conversation with his cardiologist who was checking on him after the pacemaker implant.  The brief phone appointment ended with the cardiologist telling him "Go and enjoy your cruise!"   Yay!!!   Now he has to go to the medical device clinic in a couple of weeks just to check how it's working.

I had to make an appointment with a tech company because the remote start on my car stopped working.  When we went to Calgary, we had to use the key to open the doors and couldn't leave it running to warm it up, so DH ended up sitting inside so nobody would steal it.  After explaining it to the person on the phone, it sounds like the modem may just need to be reprogrammed.  Can't get in for a couple of weeks, but at least it will get looked at.

@grapau27 thinking of you on the day of memories.

@smitty34877I'm glad your family is relieving you of some of the tasks in preparing your DD DH's farewell.  

I'm thinking the drink of the day is similar in punch to a Wang Wang - all you really need is one.  LOL   I'm giving a pass on the meal of the day, but will say a definite yes on the wine.  Tonight we're going to enjoy some leftover baked spaghetti I had in the freezer along with a side salad and crusty bread at the kitchen table.  And wine.

WineClearance.jpg.dd0f9e0cdf42b966a3b8d20fd982a742.jpg

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those involved in natural disasters and wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Did the Oosterdam stop at Cartagena?

No, we hovered around nearby for a while, and we might have been able to dock, but Captain said that in that case we might not have been able to leave in the p.m.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a still cold but warming central Texas.  It is 34F and feels like 34F.  At least, the 2 mph breeze won't make it feel any colder.  The 92% humidity should drop as the sun warms the temperature since the dew point if 32F.  This afternoon we should see a high of 62F.  There is not much on the agenda today.

Three interesting days with All Souls' Day being important to many people.  DH doesn't make dinner, but does do a great job on the grill -- if the weather ever cooperates.  I won't be making dinner tonight either since I'll just be warming the leftover pizza.  I don't think I'll plan my epitaph, but I'll share my favorite one.  When Rodney Dangerfield died, at his request, his epitaph was "There goes the neighborhood."

The Mark Twain quote is a good one, and while I don't fear life, I don't think I'm prepared to die yet.

We'll pass on the meal mainly because of curry and chickpeas.  We'll also pass on the drink, but I would like to try the wine.

We have not been to Kochi, Japan

Today is an important day in Indonesian history, and I hope all the Indonesians on BHBs are able to celebrate.

@grapau27  Graham, I'll be thinking of you and Pauline as you remember your dear mam on her 12th Remembrance Day.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, thanks for sharing some of those epitaphs.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for filling in for Dixie @summer slope today.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad your boiler is working.  It is good that your DD and DS could plan you DD DH's last party and relieve you of an emotional burden.  

396705804_337954922248025_1472227723075532664_n.thumb.jpg.65b8f12a82897fcc970031c19a3038cc.jpg

396709473_722865489867919_7130046904406589090_n.thumb.jpg.11b694ddf8028d1eb49a8dc2fd4917ab.jpg

397426302_24924610820471319_1009589465082196356_n.thumb.jpg.00e27209bf605b15c7b465110579d2b5.jpg

395875542_716688517151387_1476563187243734265_n.jpg.47a1a692397b70c25552601b56883340.jpg

396313948_722831769877995_8606000787288386178_n.thumb.jpg.48f132d4b6d4d34fd65e39cc752b5c90.jpg

394633508_846071554186297_5508321505024142357_n.thumb.jpg.66aabaeb39f6eafefc8d0cf5e1943009.jpg

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

All of the books of remembrance inside the memoriam room are open on today's date.

IMG_20231102_135221.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!

The rain is coming down hard and temps warmed up, we're aiming for the high 50's F today.  It will be a good day to stay inside and continue the housework I started yesterday.

DH does a great job with BBQ and omelettes, but neither of those is an option today for dinner so I'll be cooking. 😉 Will leave my epitaph to my children, I think that would be more meaningful than me writing about myself (?)  We all have lost close family and friends and as we age we will lose more.  Praying for all souls.  

I'll pass on the meal and instead will be having Chicken Parmesan and salad tonight.  Also pass on the red wine, but would try the drink. Have not been to Asia. 

Jack @Heartgrove Just Wow on the fiasco getting the transfers done on the iPhones!  We recently had that done too and the folks at T Mobile had it done correctly within minutes. I hope you can get things fixed soon.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Yes, the Volendam did go to Alofa.  The only reason I know is I'm following Mary Ann's blog from Tales of the South Pacific.

Terry @smitty34877 Thinking of you as you and your family prepare for your DD DH's farewell.  

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Since I am a bachelor, I always cook for myself.  Otherwise, I would go hungry and that is something I try to avoid at all times.  Our temp this morning was 21F but it is supposed to warm up to the 50's today.  Right now, it is Froggy out.  We have fog but it is still cold enough to freeze so it is frosting the trees.  Midwest math, Fog plus Frost equals Froggy.  Have a good day all.

• Like 20
  • Haha 6

Good morning and Happy Thursday. Today is packing day and we also need to take DM the supplies she requested plus some extra wine to get her through the next week while we are away. Which reminds me to thank all of you for the sentiments on the passing of 

my aunt. All are appreciated. 

I probably won’t be posting much after today while I’m with my ladies group. We have several meals planned and also going to Balboa Park one day. I hope I can keep up. 

I will pass on today’s meal suggestion. I’d rather have sausage and rice stuffed in squash. Craig will cook if I request something special. He has a few really good recipes, one is chicken Marsala with the chicken cooked like chicken Parmesan. Yum. 

Graham @grapau27, thoughts to you as you remember your late Mam today. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Thursday. Today is packing day and we also need to take DM the supplies she requested plus some extra wine to get her through the next week while we are away. Which reminds me to thank all of you for the sentiments on the passing of 

my aunt. All are appreciated. 

I probably won’t be posting much after today while I’m with my ladies group. We have several meals planned and also going to Balboa Park one day. I hope I can keep up. 

I will pass on today’s meal suggestion. I’d rather have sausage and rice stuffed in squash. Craig will cook if I request something special. He has a few really good recipes, one is chicken Marsala with the chicken cooked like chicken Parmesan. Yum. 

Graham @grapau27, thoughts to you as you remember your late Mam today. 

Thank you for your kind words Sharon.

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt's passing.

I hope you have a fantastic holiday.

• Like 12