Wednesday November 15th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Today is America Recycles Day, National Bundt Day, and National Clean Out Your Fridge Day

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Meal Suggestion for today - Healthy Miso Ramen with Chicken
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Daiquiri
Wine of the Day - 2018 Terra Nera
Destination of the Day - Isafjordur, Iceland

Today in History:
1948 Mackenzie King retires after 22 years as Prime Minister of Canada

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

La Paz, Baja California Mexico 10:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Dry Dock - Palermo, Italy 00:00 - 23:59

Oosterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 11-16

Volendam

Nuku Hiva Island, Taiohae, Marquesas French Polynesia 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

Montevideo, Uruguay 08:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Zanzibar, Tanzania

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Fiordland National Park, New Zealand eta 11-18

Westerdam

Puerto Princesa, Palawan Island Philippines 08:00 - 23:00

1115World.thumb.png.da834e8e65f8b739e6c3fbbb9f9d2110.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, weaning CPAP

Lazey1 having had Covid and rebound, now bronchitis and CHF flare

Marshhawk with pulmonary issues during/following her cruise

Dfish’s appointment at the Spine and Pain Clinic

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Smitty34877 grieving the loss of her DD DH Lou and caring for Tana

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Tana’s pulmonary issues, recovering from pneumonia

RMLincoln’s niece with high risk pregnancy and breech baby

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome home Sailingdutchy (Tony and Martha)

Welcome home Kochloffel (Paul)

Welcome home Vict0riann (Ann and Pat)

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy extubated, weaning CPAP & can be held!

RMLincoln driving to NJ to move into a new community

NextOne’s good post-op check, now allowed to drive and drink wine

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Cruise Suzy (Eurodam Nov 18 to Nov 29, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer)

4 days for Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista Nov 19 to Dec 1, Caribbean Wanderlust Miami to Miami)

7 days for Nickelpenny (Volendam Nov 22 to Dec 10) Circle Hawaii

Heartgrove (Carnival Venezia to Nov 20, Eastern Caribbean), Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific), Rafinmd (Rotterdam to Nov 24, Panama Canal Sunfarer), GTVCruiser (Koningsdam to Nov 25, B2B, Mexican Riviera & Classic Pacific Thanksgiving Coastal) and Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Dec 3, B2B, Barcelona to Lisbon, Lisbon to Miami)

• Like 24
  • Thanks 18

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report!

Continuing the good stuff from our last cruise. We found the food was better than on our last cruise earlier this year and I know it’s subjective, but still not up to pre-Covid standards. We ate in the lido for most of our meals and at Canaletto’s for dinner three times. Except for one evening, the variety of food choices was very good, and most items we ate were good to excellent. Notably, the fish we had was a happy surprise. Room service chicken and cheese quesadillas were very good, and Suzi ordered coffee around 4:30 - 5:00 and it was delivered within 10 - 15 minutes.

I hope everyone has a great day!  

20231104_061155.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Hump Day.

We got quite a bit accomplished yesterday, CPAP supplies, groceries, wine and some Christmas shopping.  Today will be a quiet day.  I guess I should clean out the fridge.  Our blue box full of recyclables goes to the curb this morning.  Maybe I'll make a bundt cake.

An inspiring quote.

The meal sounds interesting.  I'm sure I'll like the drink, hope the wine is good.

We were in Isafjordur on the Ryndam several years ago, I wonder if I can find pictures.

Just a note about William Lyon Mackenzie King, he served as Prime Minister for 22 years, but not consecutively.  He was PM in the 1920s then again from 1935 to 1948.  Others have tried but no one has been in power as long as he was.

Prayers for our world.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  It is raining here and 49F.  High will be about 56 with more rain the remainder of the day.  

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily.  I like recycling though our area does not make it easy anymore.  Bundt cakes are fine but not that popular with my family.  Cleaning out your refrigerator should be an ongoing thing, not one day a year.  Hopefully today's quote is true.  I'll pass on the menu suggestion and wine but I do enjoy a strawberry daiquiri once in a while.  Mr. King must have done a fine job of being Prime Minister of Canada if he was there for 22 years.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports this morning.

Prayers for our Care list and I hope many of you can feel better with less pain ASAP.  Prayers for all at war and for release of the hostages.  Extra prayers in addition for my DB and friends who are in need of them. 🙏  Hoping Annie @marshhawk is feeling better, and Maureen @RMLincoln and DH are able to complete their move with little stress and turmoil.  It's hard work to move!   Congrats to everyone on the Celebration list! 🎉  Welcome home to our Daily friends just off the Oosterdam.  We missed you!  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping.  ❤️

The destination today is Isafjordur, Iceland.  That was port of the day before on May 6, 2021 and Sept. 19, 2022.  I'll be glad to post the links for your convenience in obtaining old photos.  I notice my photos from my 2015 visit have disappeared from my post but one from my 2022 visit is still there.  I have to go back and get those photos and post again.  Sigh...

Have a happy Wednesday everyone!  Stay safe and well!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from a clear and chilly (34F) Boston. Thanks for the daily report and lists.  My building has a recycling room on each floor so every day is recycling day.  I can’t think of a Bundt cake without thinking about the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding!  Been trying to clean out the fridge all week as we’re off to the West Coast tomorrow for Thanksgiving.  I really like today’s quote.  The meal and drink suggestions sound nice but it’s going to be leftover lasagna here tonight. I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!  Have a nice day everybody.

• Like 28

My first stop in Isafjordur was in 2015 on the Caribbean Princess on a London to Norway to Iceland to New York Transatlantic cruise.  During that port stop I took a tour that went out into the countryside so I may be able to show some photos from those two villages as well.  Our second visit to Isafjordur was in June 2022 before Covid hit us on Island Princess. Our third visit was this year, 2023.  Here's a cute photo I took June 6, 2022 of two little girls holding their pet chickens, sitting on the sod roof of their garage.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Isafjordur, Iceland (pop. 2748) was an interesting port of call, just like the rest of Iceland.  The word means ice fjord according to my research.  The following photos were taken in 2015. Being small it's an extremely walkable town.  DH and I took the walk around before I headed out on my tour.  A good place to stop on this morning was at the bakery to pick up a baked good to enjoy.

A little marketing tool for the bakery was this classic vehicle parked outside the door with some advertising on the side.

It would probably be hard to get lost here, unless you can't speak Icelandic (which I can't).  Thank goodness for "subtitles".

A church and graveyard.

A statue commemorating fishing.

A building called the Culture House.

We went inside and it was 3 stories tall and had a library and museum.  I took a photo of this description of the building history and usage.

What appears to be local housing as we left the Culture House.

We saw a little park entrance nearby so went to take a look.  Using whalebones as arched entrances is pretty common in these parts, though many of us can recall the whalebone archway in Stanley at the church along the shore as well.

The sign says this is a Catholic church, and if so, it's one of the smallest ones I've ever seen.

Another bigger church.  With not a lot of activities for residents here maybe churches fill a void in the community for fellowship with others.

I'm glad to see the Fire Department is well represented here.

That's all for the town of Isafjordur.  Next up are some photos from my afternoon tour of the Botanical Garden in Skrudur and a fishing village called Flateyri.  We took a bus to the Garden and along the way saw the typical topography and scenery of this part of Iceland.

We had to pass through a tunnel in the mountain in order to get to where we were going (and back to the ship later).  The Botanical Garden was founded by a pastor at a boarding school nearby.  It's sometimes called the Botanical Garden in the Middle of Nowhere. It is the northernmost Botanical Garden in the World, beating out Akureyri, Iceland's garden.

I'd say this is the vegetable garden section, wouldn't you?

A water feature.

The garden displays were simple but it was nice to get out into the countryside to see flora and fauna.  Being mid September most of the flowers were gone unfortunately.

Another whalebone arch.

Maybe the gardening tools are kept here.

I think I'll start a new post for the fishing village.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

National Bundt Day. Never knew there was a day celebrating a baseball hit.

National Cleanout Fridge Day. Last time I did that could not tell if some food items were meat or cake! 😳

Have been to place in Iceland and had the best soft serve vanilla ice cream ever! And it was bought for us by our private tour guide at end of tour!

As far as something that happened on this thread yesterday, the first day at Dominos Pizza by Chief and my response to where’s Lucy and Chief’s response that maybe some of y’all would not get it. Well, based on things posted on this thread and especially ones various ailments, I don’t think we are dealing with a young crowd here.

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 12
  • Haha 10

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny and chilly today. 

I like the meal and the drink of the day. 

First visit with my new doctor toady then seeing clients virtually this afternoon. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.104c175f195eb2b67c8ed77f557a6142.png

• Like 30

Well I will be honoring Clean out the Fridge Day!  Most of the condiments will get trashed. There’s just a couple of freezer items I’ll give at a friend. Two frozen blocks of Costco sliced ham and Turkey will go in the soft-side cooler, and the cheese sticks will be with us for snacking plus a few yogurts. Not much else. The realtor is sending professional cleaners tomorrow and it’ll be ready to show. Someone should like it, we did!  We had great views from 3 sides as an end unit. The building has 10 floors, 25 units each floor, so 29 end units but only 10, our end, are surrounded by the golf course and trees. It was a good transition for us coming from our NM mountains house in the forest. Where we’ll be looks over trees, no parking lots and only one roof off to the side. I think we’ll like it!  

The air bed was too hard with both of us on it. My back and hip were not comfortable. Thursday night at the new place I’ll have to deflate it some from its current Soft setting.  I hope we’ll be in a hotel tonight in Delaware or southern NJ, anywhere north of Baltimore!  We have some work to do today cleaning up trash, patching or covering holes from tv cables, and some other light fixes. Hope to get rolling before we hit rush hour traffic. 

Welcome back to those arriving, safe home! Strengthening to Annie!  
Gerry, your gifts to those in need will return joy and good to you! 

Prayers for you all, and for the world. Thanks for your continued support, Sandi got it right, moving is hard, even with help. I guess better now than later. Maureen

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Leaving the Garden behind we traveled on our bus to Flateryi, the 200 year old fishing village which was partially destroyed by a landslide in 1995. 

A nice church we saw along our route.

Charming vistas everywhere, though notice the number of trees you've seen.  Few to none!

I thought this was interesting, the shades of green on that mountain.

Upon arrival in tiny Flateryi, we went inside this church to listen to a musical performance put on for us.

Seated inside we could see how well maintained the villagers kept their charming church.

We were treated to an Icelandic musical program by this lovely young lady.

From the church we walked down the street to look in the shops and enjoy a tea set up for us in an art workshop.  Here are some of the fishing boats at the nearby shoreline.

A picture of the local goodies served with our tea.

This is a photo of the town before the 1995 landslide.  This photo was inside the art workshop.

And here is the area where the landslide occurred.

Next we went in an old bookstore which was turned into a museum.

We headed back to our bus to ride back to town.  That night we were called up on deck to see some of the Northern Lights.  I got a few faint pictures of the greenish streaks in the sky.

That is all for today.  I hope you liked this glimpse into Isafjordur.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Good morning to all.  Best wishes for a safe and happy day.

At home after our trip and most of the clothes and packing stuff washed and put away.  Now starting to get ready for Thanksgiving company and dinner.  Catering our meal from Wegmans gives my sister and me a mostly stress free holiday.

DH Bill has returned from the trip with some type of bladder pain but no infection detected.  May be from high glucose levels.  Given an antibiotic and pain reliever.  Bill will see his primary care doctor in a few weeks. Present diagnosis was from an Urgent Care.  It’s always something!

Prayers for whatever your plans for the upcoming week.  It’s a great time for visiting family and friends.  🦃🦃  Katherine 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  We’ve made it back to Fort Lauderdale and are about to go for our Last Breakfast.  

I have a letter written to my grandmother from Prime Minister Mackenzie King telling her my mother and I had been in a prisoner exchange in China and were making our way toNew York.  

• Like 40
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich. Already in the low 70s, very windy, and once again seem to be in between the bands of rain. We had a couple short periods of light rain, and a 2 minute deluge. Not sure what to expect today. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Even more of a task when dealing with your terrible pain & numbness. I pray your medical team can find a way to end them - soon.

Not sure what the weather will allow Bindi & I to do, but there are at least mini walks, chores, and a HIIT class in my future. 

IMG_1977.jpeg.d446a2afe067df01f894c567c819b02e.jpeg

IMG_1974.jpeg.26ee814b46ee6eb580f9bdc6671cf55e.jpeg

IMG_1976.jpeg.440ebe589f9aaf87a29e3a283255b060.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support.  @smitty34877 Terry, praying for you, Tana, your families and support teams. 

@HAL Sailer Melissa, thank you for checking in with us. Hope you see more improvement. Don’t forget you. 

@RMLincoln Maureen, safe travels today. May the rest of the move & your trip go smoothly. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2018 Terra Nera

This Naked wine from Sicily is a medium - full bodied red. It is really sippable, but needs time to breathe. Members of the Naked wine club can get it for a reasonable $13.99.

Distributor notes

Powerful, fruit-driven Nero d'Avola - an iconic Italian red with barrel-aged elegance

This decadent red is a Sicilian classic, layered with complex, intense dark fruit flavors and a long, luscious, mouth-filling finish.

With the help of your funding, Dominic crafted this sultry red using hand-harvested Nero d’Avola from an older hillside vineyard in Sicily, and aged the wine in French oak barrels for over a year to give it an extra refined touch.   

Nero d’Avola is Sicily’s hallmark red wine, and if you’ve never had the privilege of trying it, Dominic is the perfect winemaker to introduce you! For funding Dom to bring this world-class red to wine drinkers everywhere, you get it with an exclusive $14 Angel savings!
This red can be enjoyed now, and will also age well for another 5 years or more.
If you're opening this wine now just be sure to give it one or two hours to open up and breathe, and serve it at room temperature.

Food match
This red goes wonderfully with wild game and other meats.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 5

Good Morning to All and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  Slowly cleaning out the fridge as to not leave a lot in there prepping for my cruise, never been a fan of bundt cakes THOUGH Nothing But Bundts cakes are to die for; its a chain but they are wonderful!  Their minis are so delicious.  We would order them for peoples' birthdays/going away celebrations.  Wise quote, I think I would like the meal, drink and wine.  Never been to Iceland.  How impressive Mr. King was (even if his tenure was interrupted).

Half day subbing today.  Also a call from an NP that is connected with my Medicare Advantage plan.  Not really sure why.  To go over my "stuff" - meds, conditions, etc.  Well, it should be a short call as I have none.  😳   I was able to pick up my disk from the radiology place with my xrays and MRI so ready for the pain doc appt tomorrow.  🙂 

We have had some scattered clouds with a slight wind which makes the days so nice.  Presently it is around 60F heading up to low 80s.  I love this time of the year!

Thoughts for the world and those on the care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!!

IMG_1452.JPG.4b9304aa5e1c511f590814b972d4f506.JPGIMG_1448.JPG.c75effe91b1d8043255b3b97c516edcf.JPG

• Like 18
  • Haha 17

Strawberry Daiquiri cocktial:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1 part DeKuyper® Triple Sec Liqueur
Handful of Strawberries
1 part Lime Juice
1/2 cup Ice

Instructions
Freeze strawberries. Blend all ingredients in blender. Serve in a sugar-rimmed hurricane glass and garnish with fresh strawberry or lime wheel.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 8.08.53 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 1

Good morning from a chilly central Texas.  It is currently 48F and feels like 48F, but will warm up to 70F this afternoon.  I hope today or tomorrow with the warmer weather to be able to wash the cars so we can put the car covers on them.  Right now, the weather app says the humidity is 100% and the dew point is 48F.  As the temperatures warm up, the humidity will drop.  On the agenda today, is more loading the motorhome, an appointment to have the satellite tv system installed, and errands while the technician is here.  DH understands that type of thing a lot better than I do.

Yesterday, DH had a great time linking his tablet to the motorhome.  He can now control just about everything except me.  🤣  All the lights, refrigerator, TVs, fireplace, etc. are linked now.  As for me, I'm still at the stage of using the switches and remotes.  This motorhome is more high tech than any of our previous ones.  All the lights, and other systems are controlled by touch pads.  The lights are all LEDs and really light up the place, plus there are more electrical outlets than one normally finds on a motorhome.  The outlets are still the old fashioned ones. 😁

We would gladly celebrate Recycles Day here and in Quartzsite, but there are no places to take our recycle items.  In Quartzsite, we used to have a drive up place where we could recycle things.  Then, the company that rented the big bin to the town, upped their rate so high, the town had to cancel the contract.  I make a lemon Bundt cake occasionally.  If not today, then tomorrow, I'll be cleaning out the refrigerator here as I load the one in the motorhome.

I like the Eleanor Roosevelt quote.

We'll skip the meal, but please give me a frozen strawberry daiquiri; otherwise, I'll have to wait until we're on a BHB again.  The wine sounds like one I'd like to try.

We have been to Isafjordur, three times.  Twice we were there on Prinsendam.

Mackenzie King must have been a remarkable politician to have held the office of Prime Minister of Canada for a total of 22 years over the course of several decades.

@Vict0riann  Ann and Pat, welcome back.  I hope you have a safe flight home.

@sailingdutchy  Welcome home, Tony and Martha.  Safe travels home.

@kochleffel  Welcome home, Paul, and safe travels today.

@seagarsmoker  Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent cruise.  

@puppycanducruise  Melanie, thank you for giving us the background information on Mackenzie King.  Sadly, we don't get much Canadian news in the US, nor do students learn very much about our northern neighbor.

@Mr. Boston  Safe travels to both of you tomorrow.  Enjoy Thanksgiving on the West Coast.

@Denise T  I hope your visit with the new doctor goes well, and that you get some answers and a plan to bring your diabetes under control.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm sorry the air mattress was not very comfortable.  Safe travels today and tomorrow.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, I hope your DH feels better soon, and I'm glad the Urgent Care didn't find anything major wrong.  I hope the antibiotics and pain reliever help make him more comfortable.

@Vict0riann  Ann, the letter to your grandmother from Prime Minister Mackenzie King must be a family treasure.  I'm sure it was a great comfort to your grandmother.

397961615_749898690509373_2703308755469277465_n.thumb.jpg.a34313c0f1dd3ddc13e3795839695dfa.jpg

399032594_1765853233855964_2825290496222820648_n.thumb.jpg.73c748c8dbefdd86b2fcb0caaed74be6.jpg

399531125_723485689814441_8995086440228237405_n.thumb.jpg.9d6fa40ac0e76512d571372b48d5b8e8.jpg

400102091_747883317378782_1641754349781366695_n.jpg.71163bb340488e4e847cd1224886c662.jpg

401728329_368614129061785_4721369576223928610_n.jpg.8bb66f96ed7f49e58c821b88a7e29a24.jpg

400615355_884235743264653_2487059414214621026_n.thumb.jpg.7bf17d09bf73d1d56b8e8e8c698af719.jpg

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 23

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

& thanks to Debbie, Dixie, Vanessa & Ann.

Good collection of days as we all need to recycle & fridges often need to be cleaned out, sadly.  I’m a firm believer in recycling the normal blue and green stuff as well as recycling used items I no longer need that others might be able to.  I don’t have the Bundt cake thing you need so I won’t be celebrating that day. 

IMG_1197.thumb.jpeg.2658d2f2e0b2f4e125f3624e425c0e66.jpeg

I like the Roosevelt quote.  Her life emulated it IMO.

Another chilly one today ‘sigh’ - oh well.  At least the effect of the vaccinations has mostly worn off.  I was really sore and tired yesterday - it’s the first time I’ve had that type of reaction - guess it means that my immune system was activated. 🤞 I did get some cleaning done while Ivan was out though - just not as quick as I usually would be. 

IMG_1640.thumb.jpeg.d90be35b55f6a91a212259ee7301fb91.jpeg

Welcome home @sailingdutchy, @Vict0riann & @kochleffel

IMG_1605.gif.db9fefddf5787e73c2d2b773d70159d8.gif

Safe travels @RMLincoln and good luck with today.  

@Vict0riann wow on your letter from PM King!

@ger_77 how kind of you to donate all those goodies for gifts ❤️ 

IMG_1659.thumb.jpeg.cc47e0bdaa8c0d17ebe638accfbbbdbf.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating & cruising. 🥂 

IMG_1200.gif.bfb242a8915bce669e8395b3be3e9efd.gif

Have a great Monday everyone.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Good morning. In the mid fifties here this morning. On and off rain and occasional strong gust of wind. Every time we get a strong gust of wind the deck is pelleted with falling acorns. These are some prolific oaks.  @RedneckBobI’ll try another age discovery  test later. Me thinks you’re right.

House cleaners will be arriving soon. We really lucked out when we got to hire them. Just hope they will still come back after our long absence from cruise.

Okay a big thanks to all who make the Daily happen. Enjoy your hump day.

@RMLincoln I do hope you have a smooth transition into your new home. Bruce

image.jpeg.62dc84a56e3213490c7dfef28115992f.jpegimage.jpeg.44af2cebe661041f23a2e2ca92e0796a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e7d402bfe277c313423643b8788aa862.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a01195d69e84fca475c7c28000559005.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

We have been to Isafjordur three times.  In 2009 on the Tahitian Princess, and 2016 and 2017 on the Prinsendam.  We were fortunate to dock every time.  The dock is located at a narrow point in the channel, so larger ships may not be able to dock. 

The first two times were were in Isafjordur we walked around town.  The last time, we rented a car and drove west to see the waterfall, Dynan.  We also drove around the fishing village @StLouisCruisers toured.  Once back in town, we followed the highway around the inlet to Sudavik, another village.

I'll post my pictures of town first, then in another post the ones of our day touring the countryside.

In 2009, the modern church was open.  The interior was as modern as the exterior.

IMG_6222.thumb.JPG.4c2bbcf3ac9b9a42ff9a33557a8db09b.JPG

IMG_6223.thumb.JPG.016c1b4afeab1ecd7679110187555b66.JPG

This is a statue that a cruising friend told us not to miss.  It's a little further from the church and the community building.

DSC06052.thumb.JPG.f47b837d6cf1ca3cd34a4b1cedb2fac9.JPG

Looking across the water from the statue toward the dock and the Elegant Explorer.

DSC06055.thumb.JPG.8ac3e418d572febd6050e7ff8f5457e3.JPG

Like most northern towns, flowers are everywhere in the summer.  

DSC06073.thumb.JPG.44e991555f189e95c9646da4b6f964e6.JPG

A short walk from the dock is the Westfjord History Museum.

DSC06079.thumb.JPG.c2d3e60a68077c8b2db7c261f9f1f6ce.JPG

IMG_6232.thumb.JPG.8146a29be35ea65f59f4b6fe154d3fb7.JPG

IMG_6236.thumb.JPG.b52e4aab6f4ba2dc9a6adb8a2e23be91.JPG

After our day touring the countryside, we stopped at the bakery for a snack and a coke.  (No Dr. Peppers in Iceland, but we did find them in The Falkland Islands).  This is looking from the bakery back into the business district.  I couldn't resist including the bakery truck.

DSC09482.thumb.JPG.71cab05c079aa59449da6134157522d4.JPG

Looking from the Prinsendam back toward town as we were anchored in the channel.  More on that in a minute.

DSC06083.thumb.JPG.da0fa906af99d9969e875c47877b2a6b.JPG

During her 2016 drydock, a rotating, retractable propeller was added to be used as a stern thruster.  In leaving the dock, the ship was also using a tug to help us away from the dock.  We were never totally sure what happened, but the story we heard was the tug let go the line too soon, resulting in the line wrapping around the "stern thruster".  They had to bring in a diver to try to free the line, which took two dives as it was really wrapped around the prop.  After several hours, the line was free and we were on our way to the next port.  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 9

These are the pictures I posted from our 2017 drive in the countryside.

As we were driving toward Dynjand Waterfall, there was a lot of fog, but it did not affect the visibility.  This was the best of the fog pictures.

DSC09430.thumb.JPG.93c9abeef6393e353c4d266ee4aad631.JPG

These pictures are from our stop at Dynjand Waterfall.  The waterfall is made up of a series of cascades.

DSC09447.thumb.JPG.a402957df88818679d20d839496fe43e.JPG

DSC09450.thumb.JPG.73a1d883fe89c1e813c8233dcb3cb364.JPG

DSC09458.thumb.JPG.bb5b1ad16f314d20632b0450b3a45f4f.JPG

DSC09447.thumb.JPG.a402957df88818679d20d839496fe43e.JPG

DSC09448.thumb.JPG.e6c408b22a5b50d0ff45c69aae470292.JPG

The remainder of the pictures are from Sudavik.  This is the remains of an old whaling station.

DSC09476.thumb.JPG.dd73938c0e3674257188448440d528b6.JPG

Sudavik is home to the Artic Fox Center.  It was closed, but we walked around outside and saw this cutie.

DSC09478.thumb.JPG.e7178b0f82ef751ebc94b40cbc3a1264.JPG

Sudavik from a distance.

DSC09480.thumb.JPG.a3c5ea0a3cc45a879d24a5c679aa17bb.JPG

DSC09452.thumb.JPG.d81596b4ef34e7ffd274882d2a8a4aee.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We're fortunate that our city recycles a lot - paper, plastic, glass, as well as compost (kitchen waste) in a separate bin.  Next year we'll downgrade to a smaller garbage bin, as it is rarely half full and will cost about 50% less each month on our utility bill.  I have a couple of Bundt pans, but really only use one on Christmas morning to make cinnamon pull-aparts.  I remember my mom making pistachio Bundt cake - yum!  I cleaned out the fridge last week and already I see there are a few containers that need to be moved on their way out.  It's never ending in there, just like laundry!

It's windy, dark, and -4C out there right now - I don't think we're going to get much above freezing today, but that's to be expected for this time of year.  When I look at my FB memories, on this day in 2017 we had a tremendous amount of snow, so I'm grateful for small mercies.  

Welcome back to our Daily family from your cruises - hopefully you all had a great time on your itineraries.  

@RMLincoln safe travels today as you make your way to Maryland.  I hope your sleep tonight is better than last night's; I dislike a hard bed, but a super soft one can be really hard on your back, too.

@NextOne so glad you got a good medical report . . . cheers to the wine!

Looking at the port of the day got me to wondering where the earthquake/volcanic activity is happening in Iceland right now - it's about 6 hours south of Isafjordur.  Scary times for the people of Grindavik where the entire town has been evacuated.

Not a lot on the agenda today, but DH will have coffee with his band this afternoon.  I think I'll take that alone time to go through my closet and pack away the summer tops, etc., replacing them with long sleeves and sweaters from the upper shelves.  It's like cleaning out a room, first you have to make a mess to make it tidy again.

I'd like the drink of the day, please, and yes to the wine.  Our DDIL makes a great miso soup, so I'm looking forward to seeing the recipes @dfish has for us.  I don't feel like cooking today, so I went down to the freezer and brought up a container of chili that we'll heat up and will enjoy with some crusty bread and a side salad at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in grief, in pain, and in wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,

Today is a repeat of yesterday’s weather with a little more wind. I like today’s quote but will pass on meal and drink. I hope to

get to Iceland in 2025. I have a deposit on VOV cruise. 

I have a meeting with my financial planner today and after that I have lunch with a friend. I will then come home and deal with the little piles I have gathered and placed around the house. 

Prayers and well wishes and have a great day. 

• Like 22