The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday, January 9th, 2024

kazu

The MDR theme tonight is Italian and there will be minestrone but I won’t be having any. I’ll also not have lasagna or tiramisu.

The cocktail sounds awful. There is no way that I would want 2 tsp of hot sauce, pineapple juice, or a lobster claw.

We were in a substantial storm overnight but it’s calmer now. It’s supposed to be sunny tomorrow at Puerto Plata.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  The tv weather people are in their zone right now, we are in a tornado watch, and now a severe thunderstorm warning. I am seeing flashes in the sky, of light, but not bolts, and with the count of once you see lightening, one mississippi, two mississippi, the storm is about 5 miles away.  

DH is supposed to be at jury duty today.  He totally forgot, until I reminded him yesterday, when I asked if he had contacted the court's office yesterday  morning.  He is trying to get out of the service due to his age.  He should be trying to get out of it, because of his cancer and treatment.  Unfortunately which ever way he goes, he needs to send a notarized copy of the form.  He did go to the docs yesterday with me, and while they did have a notary there in the office, she had already gone home, and my appointment was a fiasco any way I look at it.  So he is off to the bank this morning, during the worst of the storm to get his form notarized, and then come home, scan it, and send it.

A new nurse, who is afraid of needles.  The non working sensor and reader for the diabetes, they could only get a report from October.  I told her that before we started.  So the doc asked me, well how will she know my  history for the last 3 months.  I mentioned a blood test.  She got mad at that, but had the nurse do it. My primary had mentioned that she wanted a testosterone test also, due to the amount of facial hair I have, but she forgot to tell the endocrinologist that so I mentioned it when the nurse came back in for the blood test. She went and asked the doc, who said do the test, and the nurse got 4 vials of blood.  Said I was done, and I checked out and made an appointment to see my diabetes dietician.  And then I heard them calling me by my last name, The nurse had forgotten that last test.  Since my arm was a one and done, and bruising, she went for the vein in my hand.  All was going well, until I heard the sucking of air, she pulled the needle out, and lets just say my hand is severely bruised.  She wanted to try again, and I said, NO.  Told her I would be back in a month anyway.

@Crazy For CatsI am so sorry for your loss of Amelia.  She was a lovely and beautiful fur baby.

Well, I'm off to drive DH to the bank.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone!

We got about an inch of snow overnight.  We have a chance of maybe 3-4 more inches today into tomorrow depending on the temperature.  It could stay all snow, or it could go back and forth between snow and rain.  Sue is disappointed as there isn't enough to get The Beast out and use it.  We may go mall walk this morning.  It all depends on what is happening weather wise at that time.  

Safe travels this morning to Terri @Cruzin Terri.  

@StLouisCruisers Sandi and @ottahand7 Nancy, I was thrilled with the outcome of the game last night.  Go Blue!

@Crazy For Cats Jake, again my condolences to you and Juan.  Sue sends hers as well.  She's still mourning the loss of Critter, so knows what you are going through.  

@rafinmd Roy, I hope all is well today after your treatment yesterday.

Some of you may have a feeling of deja vu as we just had Minestrone Soup on December 28th.  But, today is a good day for it if any day is.  Minestrone is a thick soup of Italian origin made with meats, vegetables, and pasta. Ingredients include beans, onions, celery, carrots, leaf vegetables, stock, parmesan cheese and tomatoes. There is no set recipe for minestrone, since it can usually be made out of whatever meat and vegetables are at one's disposal.

We'll start with Cookie and Kate's "Classic Minestrone" soup.  There are a lot of suggestions here for substitutions you can make.  https://cookieandkate.com/classic-minestrone-soup-recipe/

Minestronesoup2.thumb.jpg.710563eb3f23564fbdd962fd467443fb.jpg

This is the Olive Garden version of Minestrone Soup.  One of their suggestions for variation is to include our all time favorite, butternut squash!  I included this recipe just for @kochleffel Paul.  https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/olive-garden-minestrone-soup/

minestronesoup4.thumb.jpg.b75017b585cc828f9ec91a7793bd40f3.jpg

Just to change things up a bit, here is a Minestrone Stew.  It is a bit thicker and has ground beef in it.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/minestrone-stew/

minestronesoup6.jpg.e4553d6fedce8d59f9b5e9ed542d10dd.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

Good morning. Having coffee outdoors on Sunset Veranda. It’s getting warmer but looks like another beautiful day as we sail to Puerto, Limon. Yesterday was a full day of activity. They definitely have many activity options. The ships singers and dancers do not just entertain they work throughout the day hosting trivia and other activities. We attended a luncheon for us World Voyagers. Attended lectures. One of the lecturers is famed naturalist Nigel Marvin and Animal Presenter with BBC and many films and National Geographic Films.He has been on Tonight Show. He is with us until Tahiti. A couple of college professor have done great lectures. I believe there are seven onboard. 
There was a large Mexican themed BBQ pool side but we ate in Prime C (steak house) last night and my rib eye was a prime cut and delicious. Sue enjoyed her Steak Diane. We could tell around the ship there was a BBQ going on as the Weber Charcoal at pool was letting us know someone was BBQ in the neighborhood.

After dinner we attended the ships dancers and singer Disco themed performance. My what a high energy great performance. I believe the ship is staffed by the A Team.

We received new key cards yesterday as our status rose a level.

Just found out our neighborhood escaped damage with this mornings stron storms and tornado warning. Very windy and yards are littered with leaves and twigs.

Have appointment with future cruise consultant this morning. Looking at a Grand South America voyage in 2025.

Thanks for the reports and post that I enjoy reading between all the activities.

Have a great day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.7ee366526dc4a968da5e98e13bfa7b69.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f8ec0c1d616c6fa161f3d553751c6d41.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.22022d8e577fec5ac614e9d129a41b6c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2b60bba3969751e40b7a880dd0ca0081.jpegimage.jpeg.5e473c4454dc380895a3fbf6d24d29e0.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

Good Morning!  This is actually the 3rd time we had minestrone in the past 6 months.  I agree that it is a perfect day for soup.  Thank you for the recipes Debbie.

I am scared of heights but my DH had always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon so I took him for his birthday.  I was shaking as I stepped in the basket but once we were in the air I forgot to be afraid.  It was an incredible experience.  If you ever have the opportunity,  go.  🎈🎈🎈

• Like 31

Northern NJ is gray and wet feeling this morning. Weather app says flurries but I don’t see any. Then maybe snow then a lot of rain and then maybe flooding. DH might try for a haircut today but my thought is to wait for a few days. 

We had a brutal set of calls with our pension folks trying to change our address and switch our withholding from Maryland to New Jersey. The website and the second phone call led us down a path of federal tax forms I couldn’t follow and shouldn’t need.  The first phone call seemed successful for DH but she couldn’t help me on the same call, I had to call in on my own call. Tried that and got a very different type of process. We went two rounds with her and gave up. Called back and got someone who thankfully seemed to know how to do what we needed without going through federal tax forms but it took several holds and repeats. In a few days it might or might not show up on their website….    To me it all seemed unnecessarily exhausting. Then we made our first foray to a local Costco. It was successful in that we didn’t get lost, no accidents and now we’re stocked up on what we needed- vitamins, TP, breakfast foods and some basics - $300!  At least it’s done. We managed to use carts to get it all up to the apartment but I had to vacuum up the snowmelt salt we brought in. My grocery cart is now on the balcony and needs a good wet-brushing which will wait till a warmer moment. 

Prayers for Terri and Jim for a smooth trip!  And for Vanessa and Roy and Jake and all of you here, everyone in need of healing, comfort or hope!  

Cheers for Michigan and all those celebrating!  Happy travels for all away! Special thanks to our cruisers keeping us close!  
Maureen 

I’ll come back with some ballon pix..   

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Ann, and Dixie.  Condolences to @Crazy For Cats,

I'll celebrate the people responsible for Balloons and Choreographers but no interest in doing either.  I enjoy apricots but have not had any recently.

I'm not familiar with Connolly but he seems to have quite the sense of humor.  As an aside, I may be one of not many dailyites to have cruised to Switzerland, sailing the Crystal Bach from Amsterdam to Basel.

Some interesting dates in history;  I'm sure many dailyites will celebrate the iPhone.

I have not been to Corinto.

The meal did sound awfully familiar.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Rustic Lasagna, and Strawberry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam January 9, 2003:

dishes09.jpg

It's too warm to snow here today but the storm will bring HEAVY rain and later strong winds.  I would normally be starting my Tuesday grocery run about now but instead was out well before 7 and back home about 8.  I generally beat the rain but had a few sprinkles the last mile or so coming home and by the time I was in the house it was still ok but wouldn't want to be out much longer.  It's a moderate rain at this point but I am hunkered in for the day.

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Today's sunrise is another from my 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  On January 9 Crystal Serenity visited Cartagena Colombia.  We were not yet in port but I think the line is the painter for a group of life rafts.

dawn0109.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

It was the football championship, not basketball.

Oops and yes - geez. I should not multi-task.

Edited by Haljo1935
  • Like 10
  • Haha 13

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Congrats to University of Michigan for their tremendous win last night.  I needed more sleep and went to bed at halftime.  But let me say "Hail! to the victors valiant.  Hail! to the conquering heroes!"  Michigan fans know the words!  Sorry to all our U-Dub fans but I bet Nancy @ottahand7 is thrilled!  DS bought me a new long sleeve Michigan T-shirt Sunday and promises to mail it to me soon.  He's suffering with a cold and congestion after his vacay in Cozumel.  Can't wait to wear my new shirt!

I don't live in Michigan nor am I from Michigan, but I got my PhD from UM in 1991.  Last night was a sweet victory for sure.  Go Blue!

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

I don't live in Michigan nor am I from Michigan, but I got my PhD from UM in 1991.  Last night was a sweet victory for sure.  Go Blue!

Welcome to the Daily (I think)!  Go Blue back to you!  DS (born in Michigan) got his undergraduate degree there but returned after graduate school to become faculty.  He's been with them now for over 23 years.  He's very excited about the win.🏈

• Like 16

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I definitely salute choreographers as I admire dancers (I can't dance at all!!), someone can take my apricot 🤢 and I want to go up in a hot air balloon!!  It is something I haven't done.  Funny quote.  Minestrone sounds so good so I may need to make some tonight; I think I would love the drink and the wine and have never been to Nicaragua. I have always admired Joan of Arc, wow on the photographic achievement and 17 years since the first iPhone!!

IMG_4062.thumb.JPG.d21f253bf9b1df8082f440cf34700d85.JPG

Woke up at 0400 to a cold, cold morning (27F) but it hasn't gotten any warmer at 0730!  We are under a hard freeze warning and it is predicted to warm up to mid 50s.  Still cold, IMHO!  Went to the gym this morning and did my PT exercises as a warm up.  I do have PT this afternoon and not necessarily looking forward to it as I am hurting afterwards!!

IMG_4061.thumb.JPG.313c4c6ab1c991daea438fde733478e2.JPG

Yesterday was a good day.  Subbed for a 7th grade math teacher and was done by 1500.  Plus I received an email to re-upload my passport and picture for my Brazilian visa - that I don't need anymore!!  Decided to make homemade beef stroganoff including the egg noodles. The noodles were a little thicker than I wanted but I was impressed with the way it came out.  

IMG_4058.thumb.JPG.36210eea067789e959e4d8adbdaac84f.JPG

@Crazy For Cats My deepest condolences on your loss of Amelia.  💔   @Cruzin Terri Take care driving today.  Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

IMG_4063.JPG.c6269ddddc55cc1f26ed7e6c84627593.JPGIMG_4060.JPG.da2ce26c16c8961b236883b86d97f169.JPG

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 12

We lived in Albuquerque or near there most of our adult lives. I think DH was at the first Balloon Fiesta in maybe 1971. Balloon Fiesta became a cornerstone of the economy and eventually settled into the first full week of October including and especially the first two weekends. I moved to Albuquerque in 1983 in my late twenties with first husband and two stepsons after our jobs in Colorado evaporated. Our first Balloon Fiesta was at the old field but still had about 700 balloons go up throughout a morning Mass Ascension. Dawn in October is chilly, usually 30s so a thermos of hot chocolate was always required. Also backpacks to put the gloves, scarfs and extra layers into as they got peeled off with the sun coming up over the east mountains. Breakfast burritos were a requirement. Spectators wander among the balloons being inflated on the field and are sometimes asked to hold a rope as they cold-inflate the balloons laid out on the grass (then it was dirt) with big portable fans. As the balloons are allowed to go up in waves the sky fills with color!  

Albuquerque’s topography with mountains to the east gives a unique morning wind set-up called “the box”. The cooler air coming down the mountain slope crosses the river valley and gets warmed on the west side of the river with the sun starting to warm the land; the warm air rises. This helps the pilots steer by having winds ascending and descending in relatively close proximity. The wind across the river lets pilots dip the basket into the surface of the water for a river kiss. 

Mass Ascensions are on the weekends (now maybe during the week also); during the week they have races and balloon events of different sorts including a Key Grab where pilots try to maneuver close enough to a tall pole with keys to a new pickup truck!  Locals with pickup trucks are enlisted to assist balloon pilots as ground chase crews to find the balloon upon landing away from the field and help pilots gather in the balloon envelope, basket and propane tank stand burners. 

DH and I got to fly with a mountain-neighbor’s son while my visiting brother and sister in law aided the chase crew. We were camped out next to the field for 3 days mid-week and got to enjoy the lesser events, a treat compared to the traffic jams of the weekends. Upon landing, your first balloon flight is commemorated with a christening of champagne over your head and a toast of thanks for a safe landing. Our landing was quick and rough, avoiding hitting a rooftop so we could drop into an urban park.  IMG_0816.thumb.png.f802f86194d94a12cd734fc7046fbb6b.pngIMG_0819.thumb.png.9dcc7fef3bd2ef3990dedcc31a777a4f.pngIMG_0818.thumb.png.22bb91ec0a2ff4fc060c78cffd7f7656.pngIMG_0817.thumb.png.c99707f41709a6c98d8aa1156b0ae9b3.pngIMG_0822.thumb.png.34a079e2f3a593af304a9f9c77b17785.pngIMG_0825.thumb.png.11943dbe04a4bdc1f73d014e7b564895.pngIMG_0823.thumb.png.b210646151ef630c8c677219fda3ceeb.pngIMG_0809.thumb.png.197578bdea5d6c96834810dc9dcb058c.pngIMG_0813.thumb.png.6badd1c0a3ffefe1554690b5733b689d.pngIMG_0799.thumb.png.290b3a09488da4f571fc05adfb32c246.pngIMG_0805.thumb.png.0cc448b6d21fb146ed2c0f859ec1ba44.pngIMG_0804.thumb.png.9f2ae98b2ca9f0cdb3f5ae2c0b5bda78.pngThe basket fell over sideways dumping us onto each other but not dumping us out. It didn’t leave me wanting another flight. But the flight itself was magnificent and magical. 

Here are a few pix I have on my phone from a recent year that I captured off the TV coverage. Special shapes are a very big deal and get their own mid-week ascension, plus an evening tethered balloon glow.  Very pretty. They say the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is the most photographed event in the world. Not sure it can compete with the Olympics but it used to be sponsored by Kodak!  
Enjoy!  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

I had an epiphany after DH walked out of the bank and said it would take an hour to see the notary.  The security guard mentioned going over the the bank in Tucker,  and I started thinking Chick fil A. Of course I will drive you to Tucker, and half way there DH says, no, I'll just go to the court house, show them my ID,  and then I asked if he actually had to attend.  There is a phone number on the the card you are supposed to call sometime after 5 the night before.  He called, and due to the weather,court was cancelled today.  So we had breakfast at Chick Fil A on our side of the world. I wanted to dine in, he wanted the drive thru.  It is pouring, and he said, go use the other line, so I got in the other line, and it was closed.  So we got to dine in anyway.  We forgot smokes (yes don't nag) and so I sent him out by himself.  I think this is the first time we have not been attached at the hip since before our cruise.  A moment of peace. Well I did throw him out of my doctors appointment yesterday when he startd whining about having to wait.  It is my appointment, I said, so why dont you go back down to the car.  Which he did.  In hind sight after the botched second attempt, I wish he had stayed.  Oh well. 

I also yanked my oxygen away from him last night, when I looked over and he was using it, and smoking at the same time.  That was the last straw, as my oxygen was down to 82.  

No dog walking today, the neighbor texted me yesterday that due to the bad weather she would be working from home.  BUT she would still be going to play pool tonight.  And she doesnt pay me for Tuesday night so that she can play pool.  So I get to go out in cold nasty weather, while she is out having fun, and I have to cut my hours at work, so that she can go have fun.  Not fair.

Well off to take care of Bubbles needs.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Ah, the radiation.

I left home at 11:30, was in the waiting room at 11:45 as requested for my 12:00 visit.  I think I was on the table for just under an hour.  I think the radiation itself was about 15 minutes but most of the time was devoted to getting me in the exact position needed. 

The machine has capabilities for both delivering radiation and detailed imaging.  The first movements were the techs sliding me an inch or 2 into center line on the table, looking at images, and moving me in ever smaller increments, down to 1/8 inch or so, and they also put marks on my chest and hips to make positioning me next time a bit easier.  I think this process was repeated 2 or 3 times.  There are 2 spots of concern, one on a rib and the other at my hips and I think they may have radiated the chest and then zeroed in on the hips.  I was off the table about 1:15, changed and out of the office about 1:30.

The remaining sessions are Wednesday at noon, Friday at 2 (my physical that day is at 8am), Tuesday at 3:30, and Thursday at 1.

Based on my radiation experience 2 years ago I do not expect significant side effects.  I have no symptoms from the cancer so I do not expect the treatment to make me feel better.  The initial concern was the rising PSA which is not a a problem in itself but an indication that the cancer was doing something and the PET scan found the 2 spots that need attention.

The next step will be to see what happens to the PSA in a month or so.  I see my regular oncologist on the 22nd but don't necessarily expect improvement by then.

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 18

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Good Morning!  This is actually the 3rd time we had minestrone in the past 6 months.  I agree that it is a perfect day for soup.  Thank you for the recipes Debbie.

I am scared of heights but my DH had always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon so I took him for his birthday.  I was shaking as I stepped in the basket but once we were in the air I forgot to be afraid.  It was an incredible experience.  If you ever have the opportunity,  go.  🎈🎈🎈

I will add my encouragement to go up in a hot air balloon.  I was very nervous when we did Balloons over Letchworth, but the experience was magnificent.  It is so calm, peaceful, and quiet once you get up!  I'd go again in a heartbeat.

49 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

Welcome to the Daily and Go Blue!

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

A new nurse, who is afraid of needles.  The non working sensor and reader for the diabetes, they could only get a report from October.  I told her that before we started.  So the doc asked me, well how will she know my  history for the last 3 months.  I mentioned a blood test.  She got mad at that, but had the nurse do it. My primary had mentioned that she wanted a testosterone test also, due to the amount of facial hair I have, but she forgot to tell the endocrinologist that so I mentioned it when the nurse came back in for the blood test. She went and asked the doc, who said do the test, and the nurse got 4 vials of blood.  Said I was done, and I checked out and made an appointment to see my diabetes dietician.  And then I heard them calling me by my last name, The nurse had forgotten that last test.  Since my arm was a one and done, and bruising, she went for the vein in my hand.  All was going well, until I heard the sucking of air, she pulled the needle out, and lets just say my hand is severely bruised.  She wanted to try again, and I said, NO.  Told her I would be back in a month anyway.

I think I'd be looking for a new endocrinologist.  They have little hand held machines they can use to get the A1C and results come back in a few minutes.  Just a finger ***** instead of a blood draw.  And, I would have thought that the endocrinologist would have picked up on the facial hair symptom.  That is her ball park, so to speak.  Or, it is supposed to be.

Snow is still coming down, but it is light and not accumulating much.  I don't think we're going anywhere today.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I just looked outside at the rain gauge in our front yard and it's showing approximately 4.5 inches of rain since it started last night.  We will have to dump it out before it gets too full and overflows.  The loud noise from rain hitting the roof has stopped but it's still raining according to radar and my glance outside.  If the forecast is correct we should be finished with rain by 1 pm.  The golf course retention pond is within sight out the back of our house and it looks full.  It actually looks like a pond right now.  

40 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

We lived in Albuquerque or near there most of our adult lives. I think DH was at the first Balloon Fiesta in maybe 1971. Balloon Fiesta became a cornerstone of the economy and eventually settled into the first full week of October including and especially the first two weekends. I moved to Albuquerque in 1983 in my late twenties with first husband and two stepsons after our jobs in Colorado evaporated. Our first Balloon Fiesta was at the old field but still had about 700 balloons go up throughout a morning Mass Ascension. Dawn in October is chilly, usually 30s so a thermos of hot chocolate was always required. Also backpacks to put the gloves, scarfs and extra layers into as they got peeled off with the sun coming up over the east mountains. Breakfast burritos were a requirement. Spectators wander among the balloons being inflated on the field and are sometimes asked to hold a rope as they cold-inflate the balloons laid out on the grass (then it was dirt) with big portable fans. As the balloons are allowed to go up in waves the sky fills with color!  

Albuquerque’s topography with mountains to the east gives a unique morning wind set-up called “the box”. The cooler air coming down the mountain slope crosses the river valley and gets warmed on the west side of the river with the sun starting to warm the land; the warm air rises. This helps the pilots steer by having winds ascending and descending in relatively close proximity. The wind across the river lets pilots dip the basket into the surface of the water for a river kiss. 

Mass Ascensions are on the weekends (now maybe during the week also); during the week they have races and balloon events of different sorts including a Key Grab where pilots try to maneuver close enough to a tall pole with keys to a new pickup truck!  Locals with pickup trucks are enlisted to assist balloon pilots as ground chase crews to find the balloon upon landing away from the field and help pilots gather in the balloon envelope, basket and propane tank stand burners. 

DH and I got to fly with a mountain-neighbor’s son while my visiting brother and sister in law aided the chase crew. We were camped out next to the field for 3 days mid-week and got to enjoy the lesser events, a treat compared to the traffic jams of the weekends. Upon landing, your first balloon flight is commemorated with a christening of champagne over your head and a toast of thanks for a safe landing. Our landing was quick and rough, avoiding hitting a rooftop so we could drop into an urban park.  IMG_0816.thumb.png.f802f86194d94a12cd734fc7046fbb6b.pngIMG_0819.thumb.png.9dcc7fef3bd2ef3990dedcc31a777a4f.pngIMG_0818.thumb.png.22bb91ec0a2ff4fc060c78cffd7f7656.pngIMG_0817.thumb.png.c99707f41709a6c98d8aa1156b0ae9b3.pngIMG_0822.thumb.png.34a079e2f3a593af304a9f9c77b17785.pngIMG_0825.thumb.png.11943dbe04a4bdc1f73d014e7b564895.pngIMG_0823.thumb.png.b210646151ef630c8c677219fda3ceeb.pngIMG_0809.thumb.png.197578bdea5d6c96834810dc9dcb058c.pngIMG_0813.thumb.png.6badd1c0a3ffefe1554690b5733b689d.pngIMG_0799.thumb.png.290b3a09488da4f571fc05adfb32c246.pngIMG_0805.thumb.png.0cc448b6d21fb146ed2c0f859ec1ba44.pngIMG_0804.thumb.png.9f2ae98b2ca9f0cdb3f5ae2c0b5bda78.pngThe basket fell over sideways dumping us onto each other but not dumping us out. It didn’t leave me wanting another flight. But the flight itself was magnificent and magical. 

Here are a few pix I have on my phone from a recent year that I captured off the TV coverage. Special shapes are a very big deal and get their own mid-week ascension, plus an evening tethered balloon glow.  Very pretty. They say the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is the most photographed event in the world. Not sure it can compete with the Olympics but it used to be sponsored by Kodak!  
Enjoy!  

Thank you for the photos of the Balloon Fiesta.  I love the multi-colored shapes and designs best.  I also appreciate the description of what goes on, and your experience.

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Ah, the radiation.

I left home at 11:30, was in the waiting room at 11:45 as requested for my 12:00 visit.  I think I was on the table for just under an hour.  I think the radiation itself was about 15 minutes but most of the time was devoted to getting me in the exact position needed. 

The machine has capabilities for both delivering radiation and detailed imaging.  The first movements were the techs sliding me an inch or 2 into center line on the table, looking at images, and moving me in ever smaller increments, down to 1/8 inch or so, and they also put marks on my chest and hips to make positioning me next time a bit easier.  I think this process was repeated 2 or 3 times.  There are 2 spots of concern, one on a rib and the other at my hips and I think they may have radiated the chest and then zeroed in on the hips.  I was off the table about 1:15, changed and out of the office about 1:30.

The remaining sessions are Wednesday at noon, Friday at 2 (my physical that day is at 8am), Tuesday at 3:30, and Thursday at 1.

Based on my radiation experience 2 years ago I do not expect significant side effects.  I have no symptoms from the cancer so I do not expect the treatment to make me feel better.  The initial concern was the rising PSA which is not a a problem in itself but an indication that the cancer was doing something and the PET scan found the 2 spots that need attention.

The next step will be to see what happens to the PSA in a month or so.  I see my regular oncologist on the 22nd but don't necessarily expect improvement by then.

Roy

Roy, thank you for the detailed report on your radiation treatment.  I'm glad you don't have symptoms and hope you don't have any side effects this time either.  Wishing you the best during this experience.

Back to the cross stitching.  It's been so dark in here this morning I have lamps on either side of me and the sunroom windows behind me.  Plus I have to use my magnifying glass to read the directions and see if the needle has gone in the right hole.  We just got me a much higher magnification magnifying glass.  Back to work.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a cold Quartzsite.  It was 30F when I got up and DH just said it is now 32F.  Fortunately, it is sunny and there is only light light wind of 3 mph.  It is predicted to warm up to 55F and for the winds to remain about 3-4 mph.  It won't be too bad later, and we may head to Parker to W-M.

I will salute balloon ascension day.  When we first started spending winters in Quartzsite there was a big gathering of balloons, and we had several go over our motorhome when we camped in the desert.  There was also a balloon glow one night, and once one of the balloons got away and headed toward the mountains to the west.  I'm not sure what happened to the balloon, and all my pictures are non-digital.  I will also honor choreographers, and I like apricots but have not had any in a long time.

I like today's quote, and both DH and I carry a Swiss Army knife in our pockets.

Minestrone soup sounds good, but I won't be making it.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds like a winner.

We have been to Corinto three times on Panama Canal cruises.

Three interesting days in history, with one being a rather sad day because of the outcome.

@Crazy For Cats   Jake again our condolences to you and Juan on Amelia's passing.  It is good that it was quick and she did not suffer.

@grapau27  As usual, Graham, thank you for the information about today's days.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, safe travels, and good wishes that everything goes well today with the procedures and bloodwork.

@Haljo1935  I saw the news about the hotel explosion in Fort Worth.  I'm glad there were not fatalities.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope you stay safe during the storm and that the power outages are at a minimum at worst.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope all goes well for you during the storm.  The meme is so true about drivers in the south unless they have spent time in the northern regions and learned to drive in sleet, ice and snow.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm sorry the doctors visit was so bad yesterday.  I hope your DH can get dismissed from jury duty when court resumes.

@dfish  Debbie, if I were Sue, I'd be doing a happy dance that I didn't have to use The Beast.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, changing addresses, etc., should not be that difficult.  Thank you for the amazing pictures of Balloon Fiesta.

@TAW1963  Welcome to the Fleet Report/Daily.

@rafinmd  Roy, thanks for the report about your treatment yesterday.  I hope the treatments slow the growth or shrink the tumors.

Congratulations to all the Michigan fans on their win.

415180285_389722660108936_4158317162345647153_n.jpg.9f845755f7c7765f70442fe1325a4b1d.jpg

416882383_10159249051581431_886404675048532424_n.jpg.5ed2d6fef8df504ddc148d74bf79ba1e.jpg

416983934_10159250448466431_213089429839476594_n.jpg.cdaeefa88cf8fbefebabad4e6ba3a00d.jpg

417007295_10159250488426431_6143633932278028040_n.jpg.0ee7a65e8d6ea58b54547fecaac17fcb.jpg

417140505_926299865828430_4515799981681801557_n.jpg.296f634892d1c1e5a48db0198ff6d2fe.jpg

417739171_802249525280944_2453795971424769717_n.jpg.7954329f42a92abb8ee7d73419ef2f38.jpg

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 11

We have been to Corinto and to Leon.  Our first stop was in 2015 on Statendam.  One time to Leon was enough, as there is not much to see.  In 2020, we stayed in Corinto both times on our b2b Panama Canal cruise on Rotterdam.  Corinto is not the greatest port, but we felt safe, and the people are friendly.  We took one of the bicycle taxis for a tour of the town, then walked around a little.  The stop of the west bound portion of the cruise was on a day the town was having a fiesta, which we found interesting.  You can call me odd, but I actually enjoyed Corinto more than I did Leon.  You just need to remember that Nicaragua is a very poor country.

I think HAL and other cruise lines stop there to help boost the economy.

These are some pictures from Leon.  You could go on the roof of the church, which DH did, but I stayed in the square which was hot.  To walk around the roof on the path that was laid out, you had to take your shoes off.

DSC01358.thumb.JPG.911eccb877ba250b9161657faf148ed4.JPG

DSC01364.thumb.JPG.7c39750507d26f116b044dec6f82368e.JPG

DSC01359.thumb.JPG.62baa079d3f4ca4d77cd1e1c16b937ea.JPG

DSC01377.thumb.JPG.8325e24587f29ebbcdc21ca76efae6b2.JPG

Our last stop on the tour was the steaming mud pots with the volcano in the background.

DSC01391.thumb.JPG.5ad8fd5581513d543cec5e5f6ce7d13a.JPG

These are some pictures from Corinto.  Both days, we were only off the ship a little more than an hour.

DSC08608.thumb.JPG.bba91fba57294eca53d71220f789c91a.JPG

DSC08611.thumb.JPG.7c2ed173a9206c7356c78af25cc1a8a8.JPG

DSC08613.thumb.JPG.183650c350088164fc44c8928fcd8b49.JPG

DSC08622.thumb.JPG.f3be5f6ac0e9ab49507103353268dfd9.JPG

DSC08623.thumb.JPG.92f3d82bace3a7e1006f23eaf7c00081.JPG

DSC08627.thumb.JPG.d99549b38abbda7cbdadada385361a28.JPG

DSC08988.thumb.JPG.5904bd2e7564416335d3e37c5a05e506.JPG
DSC08993.thumb.JPG.f8c057d3584d5738d364693c4eec8ea4.JPG

DSC08995.thumb.JPG.3b2393b306a3ca7ad4268a29535530e1.JPG

The local church

DSC08991.thumb.JPG.271a910f68d1548f01509124a0b9ad7f.JPG

DSC09000.thumb.JPG.1cf4be0b4eef92043158695d0bd67b31.JPG

Some of the local vendors during the fiesta.

DSC08985.JPG

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been to Corinto and to Leon.  Our first stop was in 2015 on Statendam.  One time to Leon was enough, as there is not much to see.  In 2020, we stayed in Corinto both times on our b2b Panama Canal cruise on Rotterdam.  Corinto is not the greatest port, but we felt safe, and the people are friendly.  We took one of the bicycle taxis for a tour of the town, then walked around a little.  The stop of the west bound portion of the cruise was on a day the town was having a fiesta, which we found interesting.  You can call me odd, but I actually enjoyed Corinto more than I did Leon.  You just need to remember that Nicaragua is a very poor country.

I think HAL and other cruise lines stop there to help boost the economy.

These are some pictures from Leon.  You could go on the roof of the church, which DH did, but I stayed in the square which was hot.  To walk around the roof on the path that was laid out, you had to take your shoes off.

DSC01358.thumb.JPG.911eccb877ba250b9161657faf148ed4.JPG

DSC01364.thumb.JPG.7c39750507d26f116b044dec6f82368e.JPG

DSC01359.thumb.JPG.62baa079d3f4ca4d77cd1e1c16b937ea.JPG

DSC01377.thumb.JPG.8325e24587f29ebbcdc21ca76efae6b2.JPG

Our last stop on the tour was the steaming mud pots with the volcano in the background.

DSC01391.thumb.JPG.5ad8fd5581513d543cec5e5f6ce7d13a.JPG

These are some pictures from Corinto.  Both days, we were only off the ship a little more than an hour.

DSC08608.thumb.JPG.bba91fba57294eca53d71220f789c91a.JPG

DSC08611.thumb.JPG.7c2ed173a9206c7356c78af25cc1a8a8.JPG

DSC08613.thumb.JPG.183650c350088164fc44c8928fcd8b49.JPG

DSC08622.thumb.JPG.f3be5f6ac0e9ab49507103353268dfd9.JPG

DSC08623.thumb.JPG.92f3d82bace3a7e1006f23eaf7c00081.JPG

DSC08627.thumb.JPG.d99549b38abbda7cbdadada385361a28.JPG

DSC08988.thumb.JPG.5904bd2e7564416335d3e37c5a05e506.JPG
DSC08993.thumb.JPG.f8c057d3584d5738d364693c4eec8ea4.JPG

DSC08995.thumb.JPG.3b2393b306a3ca7ad4268a29535530e1.JPG

The local church

DSC08991.thumb.JPG.271a910f68d1548f01509124a0b9ad7f.JPG

DSC09000.thumb.JPG.1cf4be0b4eef92043158695d0bd67b31.JPG

Some of the local vendors during the fiesta.

DSC08985.JPG

Lenda

Interesting photos Lenda.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1