The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday January 24th, 2024

kazu

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy thank you for our maps! Rich thank YOU for picking Beer Can Appreciation Day!

64, no breeze, light marine layer, some peachy color to the clouds. Life is good. Bindi really enjoyed our morning walk. So did I. 

Vanessa, I am so sorry that sleep is eluding you, and that the folk who are supposed to be helping you are not communicating. It is hard to build trust with someone. I hope things improve fast. 

Bindi walks, branch patrol, chores, and HIIT will keep me busy. Heck I need HIIT badly after yesterday’s delicious lunch at the new beach restaurant. 😎

IMG_2390.jpeg.75cfd5af643f3e324acc9d5ff7279cd1.jpeg

IMG_2404.jpeg.e98fd970cc7359980b08a6292482056e.jpeg

IMG_2468.jpeg.45898a28043efa4110568617cff3743e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, the caregivers, those in a funk. 

Terry, hope you had a wonderful birthday. Thinking of you & Tana!

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

@Cruising-along Happy Birthday, Carolyn!

IMG_3005.jpeg.5a9898e4e34b5673fc584515fdc3a3e7.jpeg

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Barboursville Vineyards 2019 Octagon Red (Virginia)

This Virginia red blend sounds lovely, has lots of fans, but is a bit pricey. I found one place that sold it for under $50, but I suspect the shipping would bring the cost a bit over that mark.  Note - one critic asks us to wait until after 2024 to enjoy it. Online prices start at $47.94.

Winemaker Notes

Attractive deep garnet color, elegant aromas of blueberry, black currant, fresh flowers and dry herbs, the structure expresses medium body, silky tannins and a cool, refined finish. Drinkable now, yet with a long future and evolution in the mouthfeel and aromatic profile . It is very reminiscent of the stellar Octagon 2009 from a vintage considered by many Virginia winemakers as "the perfect one".

94James Suckling

A perfumed nose of spiced cherry, sliced plum, cardamom, clove and suede. Medium-to full-bodied with silky tannins. Concentrated but not overdone, with a array of nicely ripened red fruit and berries washing very the palate. Subtle length here with the fruit lingering on the palate for a long time. Lovely spicy complexity. Drink or hold.

92Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2019 Octagon is a blend of 62% Merlot (a big hike this year over the last I saw), 34% Cabernet Franc and just 4% Petit Verdot, aged for 12 months in 40% new French oak. It comes in at 13.4% alcohol. Despite that Merlot-dominated blend, to me this seemed more controlled in the flavor profile today by its Cabernet Franc. It is a touch herbaceous with some charred veggies on the nose and palate. Yet this is wonderful overall. It coats the palate and shows fine structure too. The firm finish would seem to suggest that this is built to age and develop. Here, you are going to have to have the patience to wait. This is going to be splendid, but it sure isn't today. More than most of the wines in this Virginia report, this seems to have a long life ahead and seems likely to reward cellaring. I'd bet it will be at peak closer to the end of the decade, not to say you absolutely have to wait quite that long. Best after 2024.

92Wine Enthusiast

Dark garnet in the glass opens up with dark fruits of black cherries, sun-dried tomatoes and dried parsley. The palate brings those plus some hints of celery leaf.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 3

Good morning, it’s supposed to be rainy today and tomorrow but Friday near 60.

I love Gin and Tonic. It was the Queen Mum’s favorite drink. 
@Crazy For Cats, Jake I prefer to think of the day as Pets change our lives, we could not live without them 🐾❤️

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 31

19 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning, it’s supposed to be rainy today and tomorrow but Friday near 60.

I love Gin and Tonic. It was the Queen Mum’s favorite drink. 
@Crazy For Cats, Jake I prefer to think of the day as Pets change our lives, we could not live without them 🐾❤️

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

That is certainly true.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Question. How can we see how many ships are in port the day we leave. 

Dixie, the method I use is cruisetimetables.com where I click on Port Schedules tab,  Look for your port on the list, click and then find the date your ship will be there.  Voila!  Two ships in San Diego on the 30th.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Wow - we really do have a day for everything if we're appreciating beer cans! Pass on the meal and drink, would try the wine, not been to the port. Many important days in history.

Currently foggy 46° headed to 52°; no freezing temps in the forecast all week, so yay! Now, the mud is another story - the dogs have their choice of mini-lakes in the backyard and sometimes I think they visit all of them, ugh.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all.  

20240124_065700.thumb.jpg.1fad5610507ccf9725a6cb799e234a84.jpg

• Like 29

44 minutes ago, summer slope said:

(since you're in Sebring)

If you are leaving from Port Everglades, you can use  https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/ 

It will show the next week, but you can use the "Query" box near the top right. Change "Next 7 Days" to "Show All" and input the date(s) you want. It only goes about 2 months out. I like it because it shows terminals.

You can also get there using https://www.porteverglades.net/ then "Ship Schedule"

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Happy Hump Day to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I prefer beer in a bottle (no glass needed), belly laughs make me sore but I love when I laugh that way, and I want to believe I changed Martina's life when I brought her home from PACC.  She had been in and out of there 3 times.  I have had her now for almost 4 years.  I like salmon cakes but don't really like to cook them, YES to Gin and Tonics - Tanqueray is my fav with diet tonic and I like green olives in mine. The wine is too expensive and I have never been to the port but did "see" Israel when driving along from Amnan to Aqaba along the Dead Sea. Four good days in history.

IMG_2098.thumb.JPG.40894f42ac4cad7de3e79e38ab02e88d.JPG

Nice temps this morning (49F) on our way up to high 50s with a slight chance of rain.  It rained off and on yesterday and I found a leak in my ceiling.  Not bad but I noticed a "bubble" in the paint. I will have to notify the management company.

IMG_4107.thumb.JPG.a25211171db24a180b12aa185bac8a5b.JPG

Well, yesterday was interesting.  I had signed up to sub in a 6th grade class. Figured I could do 6th grade for 1 day. Got there and they asked if I could do 4th grade. Oh, my!! Taught the kiddos about commas and conjunctions, facts and opinions, decimals and fractions. The video the teacher left wouldn't play (the entire sub plan was on a PPT that I didn't have a soft copy of) so I had to wing that one. Found another YT video that might work. I don't think it really was what the teacher had in mind but we watched most of it and then I gave them a 3 question quiz on what we just watched (and what I emphasized as we were watching it). I was exhausted by the end of the day and my whole lower body was screaming at me!!! But I made it through!!! I am dang proud of myself!!

IMG_4116.thumb.JPG.09f594524acb689fbbd798b0f4ab7337.JPG

Today I have a UofA Psych research study on memory and then PT.  Oh, my Brazilian visa came and boy my pic looks like I am a convict!!  It is good for 10 years so maybe the hassle I went through to get it was worth it.

IMG_4117.JPG.cb052121f30351dc70f05ad21189e81b.JPG

Thoughts for the world and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

IMG_4118.thumb.JPG.d76e4782666d96c1959b57278202cb4b.JPG

• Like 24
  • Haha 13

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We enjoy beer in cans during the summer while sitting either on our deck or in the pergola.  Belly laughs are so good for you, as they release endorphins and make you feel better.  Anyone who has adopted a pet from a shelter has changed it's life, but I can't think of anyone who has changed a pet's life more than @kazu.  Ivan is one lucky dog.

We're still enjoying warm weather; this morning we're sitting at -7C (19F), and although it's not expected to get much warmer, only -5, it isn't 45 below and we'll take it.  During our drives out and about yesterday we went through a lot of windshield washer fluid and realized we need to get another jug of it to keep in the garage so we don't run out.  And the vehicle is looking very messy, so maybe a trip to the car wash is in order.

@cunnorl congratulations on that new addition to your family - wow, 10:10; he'll be in 6 month sleepers instead of newborn!  

@Cruising-along wishing you a very Happy Birthday and many healthy returns of the day!

@dfish please give Sue our congratulations on becoming a grandmother again.  Too bad she had to find out about it on FB, though.

Today I get my hair coloured and cut - should have happened last week, but DH's health took precedence over such matters.  It'll feel better knowing I don't have to muss and fuss with it as much in the mornings just to look decent.  The cardiologist's office called to say he will have a tele-visit on Thursday at 4PM, so we're looking forward to seeing what he will have to say.   We need to get this guy back to good health so we can enjoy life again.  

I do enjoy a gin and tonic in the heat of summer, would like to try the wine, but it's a little pricey.  I haven't made salmon patties in a very long time - I usually use tinned salmon instead of fresh when I do make them.  We've got some ham that needs to be used up, so tonight we're going to be enjoying monte cristo sandwiches and vegetable soup at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all.  Temperatures are rising and are much more comfortable.  I finally got my car out of the garage yesterday and was able to get my hair cut.  Yay!  Need to start my outdoor walking now that temps are moderating.  

Thanks to all who help to keep this thread moving along and prayers for all in need.  Katherine 

• Like 29

Good morning all. 

I guess I should be careful what I wish for. We are just slightly above freezing but have fog. The warm air and cold ground are creating havoc this morning for driving. Some fog is being called for all week. 

One of the other Wednesday ladies is cooking tonight - wait for it- butternut squash soup. It just keep showing up! I am baking a loaf of gluten free bread to enjoy with that.

prayers for those needing them and a shout out to those celebrating.

• Like 25
  • Haha 7

Debbie @dfish tell Sue congratulations on the new grandbaby!  These kids and their Facebook!  My DD DSis said once she found out her youngest was engaged on FaceBook.  He and the fiancé were a bit standoffish and odd people though.🤷‍♀️

• Like 20

Good morning. I will leave beer and their cans for others. I hope I changed our dogs and cats lives for the better over the years. The two dogs that live with me and  the kitties (5) next door  are members of the family and well loved.

It will be raining and dreary today and possibly in the high thirties. I like the recipes today and may try one later. It is up for review with my executive chef.

We had a very nice dinner last night with the group that I didn’t cook!

@cunnorl, Congratulations on the new baby in the family. Yikes on 10 lbs!

@dfish, congratulations to Sue on the birth of her grandson. I hope  everyone is doing well today.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 31

Well stupid me did something I didn’t realize I shouldn’t and boy did I exacerbate the pain.  Would have been nice if the doctor had told me.  So, I didn’t get anywhere yesterday.   Will be a homebody again today and hope that the drugs, hot and cold, etc bring fast, fast relief.  Ivan knew I was in pain and has been an absolute sweet heart, bless him.  I’m very low on supplies but thankfully, there’s lots of Ivan’s food and treats here.  😥 

Carolyn @Cruising-along a very happy birthday to you!

IMG_9956.gif.64e8dfeba5becd910c97ef40a6d6f557.gif

Debbie @dfish please give Sue my congratulations on her new grandchild.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

NIEUW AMSTERDAM appears to be in Miami today and not Key West.  Not sure what that is all about.  Weird to see a HAL ship at PortMiami.  

I believe she is on a music charter sailing.  

IMG_8454.png

Edited by eroller
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily updates. Not sure what there is to appreciate about beer cans but ok, what the heck.  Belly laughs are good for the soul, the more the merrier!  Many of you change your pets’ lives each day.  Interesting quote.  The meal and drink suggestions sound nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today. Happy birthday t0 @Cruising-along.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  It is 59F here in Bluffton.

I finally had a good night’s sleep.  I figured out a way not to have any adhesive on my legs during the night.  I applied vaseline, covered with gauze,and then put on a pair of sox to hold the gauze in place.  No adhesive. No itching and I slept like a baby for 10 hours.  I had to be very tired.

Thank you to Jacqui @kazu for the Daily and Fleet Report, and Roy @rafinmd for the maps.

Thank you to Vanessa @JazzyV for the Cares and Celebration Lists.   That list is getting longer and longer.   I pray that soon you find a solution to your health problem.

Thank you to Debbie @dfish for the recipe.  Sounds good and I will file it away for future use.  Congrats to Sue on the birth of the grandchild. How sad that she was not notified.  

Thank you to Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the Drink and Wine Reports. 

I may actually have a gin and tonic.  It has been a long time.  The wine is a bit above my budget.

Interesting quote.

i don’t like beer, so beer cans do not interest me.

I have not been to the port.

@crusing along Happy Birthday.

Sorry for not getting back yesterday.  So a belated happy birthday to Terry @smitty34877 and to @DWAliaschief Sue.  Hope you both had special days.

@RMLincoln Maureen, glad all went well with your DH’s surgery.  

@cunnorl Charlene, welcome to Ryan Charles.

Thank you to all for all the supportive comments yesterday.  i am very relieved that I did not have a bad infection on my legs.  I was very tired last night.  We did go to our favorite local restaurant and I had a half rack of baby back ribs.

Got lots to do today, having lost a lot of time yesterday.  So I am going to make some oatmeal now and get breakfast ready.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

For Southampton England you can Google Southampton cruise Schedule and it will tell you.

I would expect the same would work for most cruise ports.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1