The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday February 7th, 2024

kazu

50 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

One of DH’s uncles passed last week and he is heading to Lancaster tomorrow to attend the viewing and funeral.

I am sorry to hear this, Jake.  Please give Juan and his family my condolences.

17 hours ago, bennybear said:

It is our lovely DD’s birthday.  

Sorry Brenda, I didn’t get on late last night and only saw this today.  I hope your DD had a lovely birthday yesterday.

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

I think it's because Corp is folding many of our departments into theirs and he's building a case to either save me or cut me. Ugh.

If you suspicion is right - I hope he’s building the case for the former 🤞 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Happy Hump Day to everyone and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I will celebrate all the days - I LOVE anything math, I enjoy watching ballet, and school plays are just so cute and/or absolutely amazing.  Socrates is such a deep thinker and I agree with the quote.  The meal looks and sounds good, I probably would like the drink but it depends what's in it, yes to the wine, and I have never been to the USVI.  Interesting history days.

IMG_4171.JPG.bfb17e418ee3239c0b52616974cf2b10.JPG

We had rain overnight and it will continue off and on all day.  Yesterday as I was driving to PT the wind was so bad - blowing the dust all over.  Presently it is 49F heading to mid 50s.  Today it is off to the second research appt doing a MRI.  I am now on their "participants list" so I hope to do more research projects.  It is with the UofA Human Memory Lab in the Psychology Department.  

IMG_4172.thumb.JPG.80776a30b3faf55a2a40bb2fa23796b0.JPG

I had a weird dream last night that I got a free cruise that left today and returned next Wednesday.  I was in a quandary on how I would get there, get everything I needed to get done in the next week if I go, was "told" I had no choice and I had to figure it out.  I was getting so upset.  And then I woke up.  Sheesh, it was really a nightmare!!

IMG_4173.thumb.JPG.54dbc61c29bfeb563f8b455edceb8f0f.JPG

Thoughts for all of those on the care list and around the world.  Cheers to those celebrating.

IMG_4174.JPG.33bd0d4e5d3a0dd479857affb331f37f.JPG

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Haha 10

34 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

What's up w/the CC traffic cop? We're showing posts but no views.

20240207_062728.thumb.jpg.82f4ba13ed3b9ded97d3b8f868fc1d2a.jpg

Currently 50° headed to 70° w/rain still in the forecast. Ugh again.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 🙏

20240207_061613.thumb.jpg.e981f3dad35c1e964815babca4f8b271.jpg

I see what you're saying and I have no idea what the problem is showing zero views.  Last night I tried to check CC but they were having problems and I couldn't get to any topics to read.

This morning I was emailed by CC and told I had reached a new level; +10,000 club.  However, I reached that level a while back and now have almost 12,000 posts.  Not sure why they have so many problems with post counting.🤷‍♀️

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

It is 42°F and cloudy here.

I have been out seeing customers this morning so late posting.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for excellent photos of today's port.

Thank you for today's daily and HAL fleet locations.

We have been to St Thomas on 2 occasions docking in different docks each time.

I hope everyone is well and happy.

Screenshot_20240207_133357.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 7

Good morning for Charlotte Bay, Antarctica!  I have been reading every day but only posting on my Live thread.  As I watch the icebergs float by and wait for the lecture on whales, I looked to see what photos I had on my phone from our visit to St Thomas on the Rotterdam last February.  Many were the same but one stood out.  We used our HIA credit to take a snorkeling trip on the Castaway Girl.  It was an excellent excursion.

IMG_7012.thumb.jpeg.80a2b8e4057b18bd8e95bea91d762cfd.jpeg

IMG_7018.thumb.jpeg.2b961ff7856a465cc907a001382ab164.jpegSt John is my favorite Caribbean Island.  We have rented a house there four times but our time in port was to short to journey there this day.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I thought e-Day was all about e-commerce, but decided to look it up.  It's actually from e=mc2 which means e equals energy, how's your level?  Ballet day is great for those involved and a delight for parents, grandparents, etc., to watch during recitals.  I remember being in a school play, but it was at Christmas time.

St Thomas was the 3rd port we'd ever stopped at during our cruising life, and it made such an impression on us that we've returned over and over again over the years.  We haven't gone downtown in ages, but often just stay wherever we're docked, wander through the shops, have lunch and a beer (have to keep our tradition going), and head back to the ship.  It's still so pretty.

We had snow overnight - that combined with our slick, slippery streets after a late evening freezing rain will make a morning commute rather precarious.  Sure glad we're retired and either don't have to go out, or can usually wait until the sanding trucks have made their rounds.  At this point there isn't anything on the agenda for the morning - this afternoon DH is having coffee with his bandmates, so I'll drive him over there and one of them will bring him home.

@bennybeara belated Happy Birthday to your DD!

@Crazy For Cats I'm sorry to hear of DH's uncle's passing.

@smitty34877I do hope you've been able to get some extra assistance with Tana; you're running yourself ragged with her care and taking charge of the rest of the house as well.

@Cruising-alongyou're much, much braver than I am to even get within a few feet of a komodo dragon.  I told DH if we ever get to that part of the world, I'm not getting off the ship; I abhor reptiles, especially ones that can kill me.

@marshhawkI think it's time you went to an urgent care centre about your cough, or you'll soon be too weak to do anything about it.

I think the drink of the day would be great to enjoy sitting in the shade of an umbrella on the back Lido deck of a BHB.  I'm sure I'd enjoy the wine, and squash again?  I'm going to have to check to see if CC is partially sponsored by the squash growers of the world!  I've got some ground beef thawing that will be turned into quesadillas to be served along with mild and spicy salsa at the kitchen table tonight.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, or who just needs a hug.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Sunny again in north New Jersey and I’m enjoying it!  Into the 40s again, I’ll take it. 
Maybe e-Day is for celebrating epsilon?  

We’re managing with DH’s regime… the good news is the eye pressure tonometer device has a bad cable connector but he got it to upload via Bluetooth. The bad news is the pressure was quite high in the non-surgical eye. Hoping today it’s better. We’ll be going Monday to have the first suture opened by laser cut, so we’ll talk with the eye doctor about other eye too which is scheduled for surgery Apr 23.  

Very concerned about @marshhawk Annie and DH, @JazzyV Vanessa, @smitty34877 Terry, Tana and household… all not getting enough sleep. My night was down to 5 hrs last night but I’ve had a couple of good nights in a row so not surprised. This morning I’ll wander over to our community front desk to get tickets to an on-campus brass band concert for Feb 29; no ballets on our schedule. 

Very glad @kazu Jacqui can get out today!  Hope it’s all successful and safe. 

Shutout to @Nickelpenny Pennie, thanks for all your efforts to further medical research!  Hoping you can get the care you need. 

Sending out blessings to all in need, and cheers to all celebrating and cruising. Wonderful pictures from around the world, thanks for sharing!  
Especially thinking of @Cruzin Terri hoping you can enjoy your special cruise time with Jim in your beautiful suite and heal up!  Also hugs to @HAL Cruiser Melissa!  I hope you and DH have a good moment to hold hands and smile today and every day!  

Thank you all for being here!  Stay safe and well. 
Maureen

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

@Heartgrove Thanks for your response last night (now closed to comment).

"Late at night posting I used "invoice" twice. The first time I meant to use "MSRP." Sorry for the confusion.

- Jack"

Now I understand your very helpful purchase process strategy. Thanks.

-Melisa

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

CC is acting up. I cannot "like" posts, or even post! This is a test..

You passed!!

It has been very wonky last night and this morning. 

• Like 14

Happy Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Eva, Paul, and Ann, 

Ann, @cat shepard if you're willing to specify, are you sailing on NCL Escape?  The icon for their ships is pretty unique which makes them a little easier to include than Azamera, Oceania, and RCI which look pretty much alike on Cruisemapper. 

I'll celebrate e-day which is Euler's number which is the basis for natural logarithms, the constant that made slide rules possible.  I'll also salute both School Plays and Ballet.

I'm kind of surprised there were no secret ballots before 1856.  I wonder in New York had an anthem before 1985.

Been to St. Thomas several times (No sure about a BHB) and may be one of a relatively few dailyites to embark/disembark there.  If I have time there may be a story later.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Mixed Seasonal Greens, and Duck Breast a l'orange as served on MS Zaandam February 7, 2012

A cold morning today but less wind so it didn't feel quite as cold as yesterday.

Roy

• Like 30

Bikini Martini

Today's pseudotini comes from the 1990s and may have originated at a swimwear fashion event. The recipe omits one essential element: it's to be enjoyed while lounging by a swimming pool.

Grenadine is a syrup historically, and outside the U.S. still, made from pomegranates. During World War II, the U.S. producer switched to raspberries and has never changed back. I found a craft-bartender recipe that explains how to make your own grenadine (and how to infuse rum with coconut), but our recipe uses only ingredients available commercially.

It's sometimes made as a layered drink, each part carefully floated on what's already in the glass, but the ingredients don't mix easily, so the rum, pineapple juice, and vodka are best shaken. The grenadine can be dropped gently into the glass last, like the crème de cassis for a Kir. It's made without ice, so keep the ingredients as cold as possible.

4531705-64a1178ed6bd436b8b4e0e3c130abb65.jpg.f1ecced61f5f731f757d9d5d61348587.jpg

1 fluid ounce coconut rum

¾ fluid ounce vodka

1 fluid ounce pineapple juice

1 dash grenadine syrup

Combine rum, vodka and pineapple juice in a drink shaker. Shake firmly until frothy. Pour in a martini glass, add a touch of grenadine in the middle. Garnish with an orange wheel.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 17

1 minute ago, kochleffel said:

Bikini Martini

Today's pseudotini comes from the 1990s and may have originated at a swimwear fashion event. The recipe omits one essential element: it's to be enjoyed while lounging by a swimming pool.

Grenadine is a syrup historically, and outside the U.S. still, made from pomegranates. During World War II, the U.S. producer switched to raspberries and has never changed back. I found a craft-bartender recipe that explains how to make your own grenadine (and how to infuse rum with coconut), but our recipe uses only ingredients available commercially.

It's sometimes made as a layered drink, each part carefully floated on what's already in the glass, but the ingredients don't mix easily, so the rum, pineapple juice, and vodka are best shaken. The grenadine can be dropped gently into the glass last, like the crème de cassis for a Kir. It's made without ice, so keep the ingredients as cold as possible.

4531705-64a1178ed6bd436b8b4e0e3c130abb65.jpg.f1ecced61f5f731f757d9d5d61348587.jpg

1 fluid ounce coconut rum

¾ fluid ounce vodka

1 fluid ounce pineapple juice

1 dash grenadine syrup

Combine rum, vodka and pineapple juice in a drink shaker. Shake firmly until frothy. Pour in a martini glass, add a touch of grenadine in the middle. Garnish with an orange wheel.

Drink too many of these and I begin to see poker dots. Or is it a tennie Winnie poker dot bikini martini. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

Well, this post took, so let's try again on a shorter version. 

I love ballet and especially Baryshnikov. I'm passing on the squash (again) I agree with Gerry, I think there's sponsorship on the squash growers. When you come to the acorn squash cut in half and filled with butter and brown sugar,  I'll take it!

We were just in St. Thomas in Dec and Jan. One of my favorites.  I feel bad for our cruisers having rough seas in Hawaiian islands. Our Lido bar server friend on Zuiderdam said he was seasick for 2 days. Anyone currently onboard, please stop in Lido bar and tell Bobby that Joy and Allen send bear hugs.

We had a nice evening at neighbors sitting around their firepit with a nightcap. Oliver was such a good boy. Sat on my lap the whole evening. The other dog invites were very respectful too.

This morning I see some new birds on the feeders. They are a soft yellow and don't mind the cardinals eating next to them. 

Today will be a few loads of laundry, Oliver walk, to the market getting ready for our 2023 Christmas party here tomorrow night, and lunch downtown. 

Wishing you all prayers and blessings today, especially those who are really in need of them. God bless you.

image.png.485e316fdcd8b52de4ee8f4c538b0526.png

image.png.174c076f5f49edc5259dca2c975041cf.png

• Like 22
  • Haha 8

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  I have been sleeping later each day, but the cats decided that I needed to be up.  Apparently after a specific time, my side of the bed becomes their side of the bed.

It's 38 and currently sunny.  My neighbor is still home, I am wondering if I have the day off from walking the dog.  I guess i should check my texts.  Checked.  I'm off.  Because of the forecast of rain this weekend, she has decided to stay home and work in her yard today.  I wish she has sent that yesterday, I would have fought harder for my bed space.

The goal today is to get back to work.  Not sure how I can telemarket and cough at the same time but I will try. 

179f4f599359f15eee886f417a3fbfa6--kliban-cat-cat-things.jpg

Ballet, well like my attempt at finishing school, ended with a call to my mother that I was not Ballet material.  I didnt follow directions, and I was too interruptive to the class.  ( I ended up a few years later as my modern dance teachers assistant, and I taught modern dance in college)  but couldnt do ballet.

funny+cat+dance_1.jpg

@smitty34877you are always in my thoughts.  I wish for you the ability to get some rest, a good nurse to cover more than one shift, and for Tana to get a good day of breathing.  Which leads to the next day, which leads to the next day....

@Cruising-alongThere is no way that I would get that close to a Komodo dragon, front or back.  But Saturday does start the year of the Dragon.

Guess I will go fix breakfast, since I dont have to walk the dog.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

My first trip to St. Thomas was in 1972.  Long before digital cameras were even thought of.

Since I am on a cruise, I don’t even have access to the photos from that time.

I was a student in Ponce, Puerto Rico, in an intensive Spanish course for the Summer. We had a long weekend and most of us ventured to St. Thomas.  We could fly on PrinAir for very little money.  We arrived at the now defunct Harry Truman Airport, which was just a Hanger.  We found a hotel on Hassell Island and just had a great time.  We didn’t have much money but we enjoyed a wonderful break from our studies.

Wish I had photos to post.  

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 28

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Eva, Paul, and Ann, 

Ann, @cat shepard if you're willing to specify, are you sailing on NCL Escape?  The icon for their ships is pretty unique which makes them a little easier to include than Azamera, Oceania, and RCI which look pretty much alike on Cruisemapper. 

I'll celebrate e-day which is Euler's number which is the basis for natural logarithms, the constant that made slide rules possible.  I'll also salute both School Plays and Ballet.

I'm kind of surprised there were no secret ballots before 1856.  I wonder in New York had an anthem before 1985.

Been to St. Thomas several times (No sure about a BHB) and may be one of a relatively few dailyites to embark/disembark there.  If I have time there may be a story later.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Mixed Seasonal Greens, and Duck Breast a l'orange as served on MS Zaandam February 7, 2012

A cold morning today but less wind so it didn't feel quite as cold as yesterday.

Roy

Roy, bless you for even caring. I am on the Escape. My first cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. But there are so many ships there this time of you, feel free not to bother. 

Ann

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I have never liked the mathematical e. Dairy-free is good for those of us who are lactose-intolerant, but moving from butternut squash to acorn is not an improvement. No on the drink. For another FL Pinot Noir, Anyela's 2021.

I've posted photos of the Hebrew Congregation of St. Thomas before, so here are some of the botanical garden.

stbg1.thumb.jpg.d84eb080fdb9e4f20030c068fe7eb0f6.jpgstbg2.thumb.jpg.2be245e6b9f10a01916ecda1f4ec8df1.jpgstbg3.thumb.jpg.eeeb1ec8b715b3208701f5652c0caf69.jpgstbg4.thumb.jpg.625e020e84c5235599d630155e40b987.jpgstbg5.thumb.jpg.228a639abe8e3bb3aa34c19f81eeb9f1.jpgstbg6.thumb.jpg.561e6cc5cb468ee55ad426f8899d26da.jpgstbg7.thumb.jpg.ba3b456e8ec47f0b5e448135703d7b10.jpg

These are from my recent cruise on the Anthem of the Seas.

Clydesdales.thumb.jpg.facd82e7583f62159a3cdbe8c4a58f7e.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Happy Hump Day everyone!!  

Interesting collection of days - i think I will celebrate Ballet Day.  Such a beautiful art!  I always considered  Socrates wise but I’m not sure I get this quote.  We’ve been to St. Thomas a few times - the first time was decades ago before a million cruise ships stopped there.  We were lucky enough to enjoy Magen’s Bay in its unspoiled, uncrowded time.  Now, any stop at St. Thomas has me going over to St. John.  Much quieter and very pretty.

@cat shepard Ann, did you get a volunteer to fill in for you?  if you didn’t please drop me an email.  Sorry, I forgot which fleet report you listed yours on.  Thanks to Rich, Roy, Ann, Vanessa, Paul & Eva for your ongoing dedication.

unbelievable - it’s not snowing, freezing rain or cold beyond reason.  I will definitely get out today to get some errands done while it’s bearable.  

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂

You have mail.

• Like 7