The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday February 27th, 2024

kazu

Today is Anosmia Awareness Day, International Polar Bear Day, and National Kahlua Day

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Lamb & Rice
Drink of the Day - Black and Black
Wine of the Day - Henry of Pelham Cuvee Catharine Brut Sparkling (Niagara Peninsula)
Destination of the Day - Phillip Island, Victoria, Australia 

Today in History:
1693 1st women's magazine "Ladies' Mercury" published in London, England

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii - 18:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 08:00 - 16:00 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos eta 02-28

Oosterdam

Ushuaia, Argentina 12:00 - 20:00 

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 03-01

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Santarem, Brazil Amazon eta 02-28

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Dunedin, Port Chalmers, New Zealand 08:00 - 16:00 

Volendam

Hobart, Tasmania Australia 08:00 - 

Westerdam

Puerto Princesa, Palawan Island Philippines 08:00 - 18:00 

Zuiderdam

Tokyo, Japan 08:00 -

• Like 14
  • Thanks 21

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is currently 37°F and partly sunny.

3 interesting days.

Excellent quote today.

I keep well away from people who belittle others and always encourage people to be the best they can be.

Today's food sounds nice.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a wonderful day.

Screenshot_20240227_105216.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

StLouisCruisers’ loss of her friend Bob on 2/23/2024

Cruzin Terri with appointments at Mayo Jacksonville today & drive home

RMLincoln’s DSIL hospitalized, to go to Rehab, with treatments

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

Lazey1 with mitral stenosis, pulmonary edema

Ger_77’s DH Maurice needing heart valve replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Summer Slope’s Mohs surgery requiring only one pass

Marshhawk and Catmando got their internet back after 12 days!

JazzyV with improved leg pain and numbness after spinal injection

RMLincoln’s DH Richard doing well after his eye procedure

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy out of ICU!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Wind Surf Mar 2 to Mar 9) 7d Classic Caribbean

5 days for 0106 (Nieuw Statendam Mar 3 to Mar 17) 14d W/E Caribbean, w/BFF

Cruise Suzy (Nieuw Amsterdam to Mar 2) 7d Western Caribbean, Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas to Mar 3) 7d Bahamas & Perfect Day, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, USN59-79(Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

I agree with the quote, pass on the meal, maybe the drink and wine, not been to today's destination.

Work, work, work today 😒 I need a cruise.

Currently 66° headed to 88°, tomorrow is 34° cooler.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 🙏

20240227_051539.thumb.jpg.03117bfe0bb871ea10d5d7382b0ca70e.jpg

• Like 25

Good morning from a rainy Amazon River. I will gladly celebrate Anosmia Day. I have seen polar bears up close in Barrow AK and they are amazing. Don’t like Kahlua. I very much agree with the quote. The meal sounds lovely, will have to wait for the recipe for the drink, yes on the brut and never been to the port. 

IMG_5181.thumb.png.8332ac5c7472c26c55c811f1ad420609.png

IMG_5224.thumb.jpeg.67065fc7775b84c16793edeec9a5fbb5.jpeg

Yesterday we crossed the equator and sat in the river for a couple of hours while all the inspections/pilots arrival and immigration stuff done. Boy was it humid - sunny and hot!  This morning it is raining and the bugs are out!!  🤪. I have been using iNaturalist to identify them which I find fun as I like bugs. 

IMG_5189.thumb.jpeg.e576a35a444074329bf55044cabfab37.jpeg

IMG_5242.thumb.jpeg.5ca743ea63a38b976bbf0027f8a5982d.jpeg

Had a lovely dinner at Pinnacle and tried a new drink - Classic Negroni - which I liked!

IMG_5210.thumb.jpeg.f4b2d670dbeed2849d0be8b8a1096814.jpeg

today we are cruising the river and the weather prediction is for off and on showers. Dressy night tonight but not sure I will participate. If there is escargot in the MDR I will be there!

Thoughts for all and cheers for those celebrating. Have a great day everyone!

• Like 32

Black and Black cocktail:

Ingredients
1 440-mL can Guinness stout
1/4 cup Blackcurrant concentrate, such as Ribena
Instructions
Pour 1/4 cup of blackcurrant concentrate (such as Ribena) into a pint glass.
Slowly pour in a 440-mL can chilled Guinness.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 6.28.59 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

I woke up to thunder and lightning and some hail.  Wow, strange weather for February.  It's supposed to get to 15°C (59°F), normal is zero (32°F).

Amnosia is something we should be aware of.  Polar bears are magnificent.  I don't like Kahlua.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, I'll pass on the drink but I'll take a glass or two of the wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  I had a whole post typed up and something strange was happening with it and it is now gone.  Will start over.

The weather today is a another example of the crazy weather we've been having.  It is 56F and will be 72 and cloudy later today.  Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  Interesting days today to celebrate or recognize.  Anosmia awareness is important, plus that can really affect your appetite.  Polar bears may be cute but they are quite dangerous.  Closest I've come to one is at a zoo or Longyearbyen.  I don't care for Kahlua.  The quote by Twain is a good one, lamb and rice sounds okay but I don't eat lamb usually.  No the drink and yes to the Brut.  I'm trying to picture ladies in London in 1693 reading magazines!  

Prayers for old friend Bob and his family, DB and DGD, and Scott and Susan.  Also for the people of Israel and Ukraine, the loved ones held as hostages, and our troops in the region. Prayers too for the Care list people and I named as many of you as I could recall.🙏  Wishing you all better days ahead.  I'd also like to urge prayers for Laken Riley from Georgia who was killed the other day while out on a jog on the UGA campus.  Just horrific and I can't imagine the pain for the family and friends.  😭

Cheers to the Celebration list people cruising and celebrating special events.  Thankful that Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando are back on line and can get back to work.  What an ordeal!   Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for updating our lists for us.  It's great to hear you are feeling a little improved since your procedure.  🙂

The port today is Phillip Island, Victoria, Australia.  This is another new port.  Phillip Island is located about 125 km or 77 miles from Melbourne.  There are no links to post, and I have no pictures since I've only visited Melbourne.  Interesting that it's a port for the cruise lines now.

I saw photos from Madrid where DS and DDIL met up with old friends from Ann Arbor.  They were enjoying churros with chocolate and from the photos I believe one of Ren's old soccer teammates was there with his parents. Small world!

Hope you all have a great day.  Stay safe and well.

Also hoping this posts with no problems!

• Like 24

Good morning, everyone.

It is nice and warm out here in mid-Michigan with promised temperatures up in the 60s.  The heat went out early last evening in the family room zone, but came back on and it is toasty warm in there now.  I don't know what to make of it, but the on again, off again suggests a faulty zone valve to me.  I'm not sure where it is on the beast or what to do about it.  I have PT this morning, then I'm stopping by the polls to vote in the primary.  Then home for a zoom meeting.  Busy morning, but the afternoon is all mine.

I'm not sure about today's meal.  I like lamb when seasoned well, but most of the time I would give it a pass.  I would definitely have to substitute riced cauliflower for the rice.  The first recipe uses ground lamb.  https://thehealthyfoodie.com/lebanese-lamb-rice/

lambandrice1.thumb.jpg.13f899fc6c61fec29fc53dd418219dcb.jpg

This next recipe boils the lamb to make lamb stock and then bakes the same lamb with rice in the oven, using the lamb stock for the rice.   https://mediterraneanlatinloveaffair.com/oven-baked-lamb-and-rice-dish/

lambandrice2.thumb.jpg.899e3985eb6517c9d9278599a4be3a7b.jpg

This last recipe is a well seasoned dish and made for the instant pot.  You can easily adapt it for stove top, I am sure. If I was going to make this dish, I would go with version 3 even though it has carrots in it.  It seems the most flavorful.   https://www.craftycookingbyanna.com/instant-pot-lamb-rice-plov/

lambandrice3.jpg.cfd0f9922ce4e9d8719f5609ce7a74f8.jpg

@Cruzin Terri I hope you get some answers and help today!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 14

Good morning. Thanks for the daily and Fleet reports. 

62 degrees with rain today. At least we are warming up. 

Seeing clients today and working on class materials. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating.

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Pin by Marye Waite on Hilarious with Cutsies | Funny coffee quotes ...

• Like 24
  • Haha 2

Just a quick visit. I am at the ER with my Sister who has been really sick for two days. Please keep her in your prayers. 

Our second Canadian wine. Widely available CA 32.95, or $24.95.

Natalie's Score: 92/100

This sparkling gets better every year, even though it's not vintage-dated. Lovely finesse and mousse with green apple vibrancy. The grapes were hand-picked in 50 pound lugs so they weren't bruised. The winery does press fractioning meaning the first bit of the juice (the head) and the last bit (the tail) aren't used in the wine just the juiciest, tastiest part of the juice. They also use the traditional Champagne method to make the wine. The wine spends 30 months on the lees which gives it a creamy texture. Serve as an aperitif on its own or add 1 oz. of Riesling Icewine or 1 oz of Cabernet Franc Icewine to 3 oz of Cuvee Catharine to make a Kir Catharine.

Sparkling food pairings: salmon caviar with sour cream; malpeque oysters with a hint of lemon.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 13

9 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Just a quick visit. I am at the ER with my Sister who has been really sick for two days. Please keep her in your prayers. 

This sparkling gets better every year, even though it's not vintage-dated. Lovely finesse and mousse with green apple vibrancy. The grapes were hand-picked in 50 pound lugs so they weren't bruised. The winery does press fractioning meaning the first bit of the juice (the head) and the last bit (the tail) aren't used in the wine just the juiciest, tastiest part of the juice. They also use the traditional Champagne method to make the wine. The wine spends 30 months on the lees which gives it a creamy texture. Serve as an aperitif on its own or add 1 oz. of Riesling Icewine or 1 oz of Cabernet Franc Icewine to 3 oz of Cuvee Catharine to make a Kir Catharine.

Sparkling food pairings: salmon caviar with sour cream; malpeque oysters with a hint of lemon.

Ann, I'm very sorry to hear your dear sister is so ill and having to go to the ER.  I pray she's back on her feet and feeling fine ASAP.🙏

• Like 17

Good morning everyone from a sunny and mild Boston.  Long flight yesterday as we connected through Detroit but we (and our bags) made it in one piece.  Thanks for the daily report recipes and lists.  Our sense of smell is very important as many of us who lost it during Covid can attest.  Majestic Polar Bears are under stress from loss of habitat.  I like Kahlua, maybe a splash in my coffee would make me forget that vacation is over!  The quote by Mr. Twain is one I’ve tried to live by, surround yourself by those who will help build you up.  I think I’ll forgo today’s meal suggestion for yesterday’s pork and fennel stew Provençal.  The drink could be interesting.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on today’s prayer list, I’m glad to hear that @summer slope’s Mohs procedure went well yesterday.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today! 🍾

• Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! I had to look up anosomia and am glad I don't have it, although I'm sure I wished I did when our son was an infant . ... ugh.  Polar bears are quite majestic and need to be protected.  I don't mind kahlua, but prefer Amarula cream in my coffee instead.

Again, the land of contrasts - after having had beautiful weather last week, then the storm yesterday, it continued blowing last night and brought with it frigid temperatures.  Currently we're sitting at -32C (-25F), but with the wind it feels like -42(-43F) - I see on my phone there were notifications of warming centres available overnight for those who need them.  I'd like to go out today, but with the cold, that's not likely to happen.

@marshhawkI'm so glad you're back with us - and able to get back to work as well.

@JazzyVI'm happy to hear you're getting a bit more sleep after your procedure; hopefully that continues a little more every night so you can catch up.

@cat sheparddefinitely sending prayers to your sister; I hope she's well again soon!

Looking outside this morning I see the driveway has blown in again - our snow clearing fellow was out there yesterday afternoon and had everything shoveled off, but it looks like he's going to have to bring in the snowblower to clear the drifts today, as they look big and solid.  As soon as he finishes, I'm going to move my vehicle back onto the driveway - before the storm I parked it on the street so when he came, the entire driveway could be cleared, rather than having to work around my car.  I told DH yesterday how much more relaxed I am this winter, knowing we've got someone to take care of the snow for us - it means I'm not worried about DH, and I also don't have to go out and do it myself.  It's also giving someone else a job.

I really like the quote for today, will give the drink a pass, would like the wine, and am pretty sure I'd like the menu suggestion - mmmmm lamb.  I did make a big pot of cabbage borscht yesterday, but didn't get to making the buns, so this afternoon will make a pan of spoon bread for us to enjoy with borscht at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and innocents in wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 29

Good morning from a cloudy and warming  NY, going up to the fifties from 38.

It took Tana almost two years to have her sense of smell restored in a partial way after her initial COVID bout. Polar bears are to be celebrated and my DH loved kahlua . The quote is a good one, I don’t really like lamb and I have not been to the port.

@summer slope, Dixie, I am glad your procedure went well and hope you can heal quickly.

@marshhawk, Annie, I am so glad you are back home with us. 12 days  to fix the cable must have felt twice as long.

Have a great day today everyone!

• Like 25

Good morning, another sunny, nice day here.  The temps are supposed to drop with storm potential later today.  Praying for no more tornadoes.  

I'd take the Guinness in the drink today, not sure about the meal.  Kahlua is ok.  Polar bears are majestic.  Snow Lilly, the polar bear at our zoo died a few years ago, she was always fun to watch.  

@cat shepardprayers for your sister today...

More prayers for all that need them, and cheers to those celebrating!  

Have a great day, K

• Like 24

42 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sending prayers 🙏 to hopefully help your sister.

• Like 17