The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 24th, 2024

kazu

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

@RMLincoln, NA did have a late turnaround in Fort Lauderdale yesterday.

Roy

Thank you, I lost a day yesterday, her turnaround!  It was a very busy schedule for me yesterday. Yes, I understand now, that would put her back in HMC today. Thanks for getting me back on track! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from a sunny but still windy Quartzsite.  It is 52F with a predicted high of 68F with the clouds returning this afternoon.  Our winds will also continue today.  We'll be heading to Blythe for one last grocery run this morning.

All three days today are good, but the second and third ones are very important.

The Stephen Chbosky quote is true.

I've had the shrimp tacos on BHBs including on our recent Koningsdam cruise.  For some reason fish tacos don't appeal to me, but I like the shrimp tacos.  HAL uses the America's Test Kitchen recipe.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wind sounds nice.

We have not been to Kiriwina Island PNG. 

We also have another three interesting days in history to honor.

@marshhawk  Annie, congratulations on another sale.  The lady who wants the call backs must have some interesting stories to tell.

@dfish  Debbie, safe travels today and enjoy your visit with your former student and her family.  I hope the girls have fun, too.

@Haljo1935  Elizabeth, I hope the good memories of your brother help ease the pain.  I like your other brother's thoughts about today.  Hugs

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm sorry about the water in the basement, but I'm glad the sump pump is working well.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, safe travels to your DD today and tomorrow.  I know you will enjoy seeing her today.  Thanks for the pictures from PNG.

432232087_742321948036988_8083978883616175753_n.jpg.117977f17180449857ac64e560ed5047.jpg

432256205_1579062276205341_3567834979249509109_n.thumb.jpg.7ba6a88002fecbc700299aa1584098ed.jpg

432284153_7564067996950240_3284363873666403244_n.jpg.ed5a82fba8c46a136e55859d1869ec86.jpg

432421127_783485583654611_2987592596955608365_n.thumb.jpg.1be7e2e4301142b891707ea0eccf9c37.jpg

432453360_404868642133471_69715488057537737_n.thumb.jpg.1c10e53639b4c71cd539cae03b615f97.jpg

433489932_7582327518457621_7901362866122481383_n.jpg.1dc3f3cb61db0c435b010da5e0f11612.jpg

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 11

@Haljo1935, Elizabeth, I can relate to your sadness today. My oldest brother has been gone fifteen years and his birthday was St Patrick’s Day. There were tears with my remaining brother and my DSIL, his wife . We miss him everyday. Sending hugs your way.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

@Haljo1935I am extremely sorry that you lost your younger brother to suicide.  My godson, a Naval officer, committed suicide too.  I remember him by writing a message on a rock and throwing it into a stream we used to visit when he was a boy.

I know many people release a ballon to remember a loved one.  Balloon releases are now illegal in MD because of the negative impact they have on the environment and in particular marine life.  An easy alternative would be to blow bubbles.  If the weather cooperates, you could fly a kite.

Today, I hope you can reflect on the good memories you have of the time you spent together. My thoughts are with you on this difficult day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I'm surprised that Friday's Fleet Report and Daily has not been locked yet.  Wonder what's going on.

Roy

LOL Roy - the FCL old thread hasn’t been locked for a few weeks now despite my reports 😔 

3 hours ago, dfish said:

You can use the low carb tortillas to help in that department.  https://natashaskitchen.com/shrimp-tacos/

this is the same recipe I use Debbie other than a slight modification.  The sauce is quite good 👍 

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Nothing planned today, it's just too hard. The "eye rains" started early this morning as I read a text from my older brother saying he was blubbering like an idiot while telling himself if we didn't have today we wouldn't have had our brother. Does it ever get better?

When I said he left behind 7 children, I left out the "bonuses" - it's 12 children. We will release balloons 🎈 for him this afternoon. 

Aww 😢 Hugs to you and all your & his family missing your brother 🤗 

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

She let me know that she slept from 8 last night until 6 this morning. She was so happy to be in her own bed again. 

So good to hear that your sister slept well.  I hope this is a trend for the future 🤞 

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@Haljo1935, Elizabeth, I can relate to your sadness today. My oldest brother has been gone fifteen years and his birthday was St Patrick’s Day. There were tears with my remaining brother and my DSIL, his wife . We miss him everyday. Sending hugs your way.

Ahh - big hugs to you too 🥰. That’s a tough time of the year for you 💔 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, superoma said:

@ger_77could you post a picture of the coasters you make? I think you did way back when but now, like you, I have fabric bits from mask making, trying to decide what to do with them.  Thank you.

I too would love to see your coaster pictures and more info about them. Thank you.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@RedneckBob  RNB, enjoy your cruise on the NS.  I hope the internet is much better than X.

cruises.jpg.09aa11fa2dd36c317c4126783397f094.jpg

Lenda

Ms. Crystal. Thanks.

This is RedneckBob reporting live from our stateroom aboard the beautiful and elegant N. Statendam. Wi-Fi works!!!!

• Like 16

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Blessed Palm Sunday to those who celebrate.

I'll salute all 3 days. The quote is true. I've never had shrimp tacos, but I would try one if someone made it for me. I like the pseudotini. I haven't been to Kiriwina Island. 3 good days in history.

It started out in the 20's this AM, but is now 38 and sunny. It was not a good night; I had a lot of pain and have been up since 4AM (only about 2.5 hours sleep). I think I dreamed I exercised, which resulted in pain. The pain was almost 10/10 this morning, but has eased off now. I want to do laundry today. I have a choice of surgical dates in April, but think I'll pick April 22, since I need to get the house together and organized somewhat before surgery. And make some soups and chili that I can freeze and have at hand. I've been watching videos by EquipMeOT on YouTube (she's very good), who has a lot of practical information (like using a walker turned backwards over the commode as a support). I've ordered a few adaptive things from Amazon. Not being able to bend or twist will make a lot of things hard to do. I think I'll ask BFF to stay a day or two right after surgery.

@RedneckBob Bon Voyage on part 2 of cruising!

@grapau27 Thank you for the link. 

@aliaschief Great photos!

@kazu I hope it's not too hard to get your excursion credit. I hope your weather improves soon.

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for safe travels for DD. Nice photos from PNG. 

@cat shepard So good to hear that your Sister got good rest last night. That will help the healing.

@smitty34877 I'm glad the sump pump is working; I grew up with one in NJ, after we had French drains put in. Continued prayers for Tana, you and the family.

@RMLincoln Enjoy going to the playhouse, and a meal out or home for leftovers.

@marshhawk Yay, for another sale. I wonder if your "friend" is just lonely? Your coffee meme is me!

@Haljo1935 Hugs to you and your family on this difficult day.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

No shrimp ever here, but I'd like Roy's alternative. I'll be ready for it around 6:30 p.m. No on the pseudotini. There is still no Tempranillo in the FL so I'll counter with Dr. Frank's 2021 Amur, a grape originating in southern Siberia and northern China.

News of the animal world:

-- Last week JFK Airport had to call in help from the Department of Environmental Conservation to remove a seal from the runway. A local radio report from Oneonta struggled to figure out how a seal would get to JFK Airport. I guess someone there failed geography.

-- A photographer in Texas got a photo of a bobcat leaping up and capturing a heron in flight.

bobcatandheron.thumb.jpg.b20ee13f3816afef102a541384e1e171.jpg

More at https://petapixel.com/2024/03/18/once-in-a-lifetime-photo-of-bobcat-pouncing-on-heron-mid-flight/?fbclid=IwAR2dXlpN7OOYNyMFy4mmmiszijJii77iDwJp9dbCqZu_RaGMrK1g6N4cs0w.

Today there's a Purim wine and beer tasting at 2:00.  Drinking is traditional at Purim but wine and beer tastings are not; the organizers are so concerned that someone might become tipsy that they want to cut people off after two ounces (of all wines or beers combined). For what they are charging, I think they need to offer tastes of everything plus a full glass of one, at least. Then there's a Purim play, "My Fair Esther."

It's nine days since I filed my income-tax return and I'm starting to get antsy about the refund, seeing as it's the first time in a couple of decades that I'm getting one. IRS has a website that can track the processing, but a lot of the time it isn't working.

deductions.thumb.jpg.a18c0282637a1be971b4d399db24471e.jpg

Caption: You better open another bottle of wine--I'm about to start deducting household expenses.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 21
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Blessed Palm Sunday to those who celebrate.

I'll salute all 3 days. The quote is true. I've never had shrimp tacos, but I would try one if someone made it for me. I like the pseudotini. I haven't been to Kiriwina Island. 3 good days in history.

It started out in the 20's this AM, but is now 38 and sunny. It was not a good night; I had a lot of pain and have been up since 4AM (only about 2.5 hours sleep). I think I dreamed I exercised, which resulted in pain. The pain was almost 10/10 this morning, but has eased off now. I want to do laundry today. I have a choice of surgical dates in April, but think I'll pick April 22, since I need to get the house together and organized somewhat before surgery. And make some soups and chili that I can freeze and have at hand. I've been watching videos by EquipMeOT on YouTube (she's very good), who has a lot of practical information (like using a walker turned backwards over the commode as a support). I've ordered a few adaptive things from Amazon. Not being able to bend or twist will make a lot of things hard to do. I think I'll ask BFF to stay a day or two right after surgery.

@RedneckBob Bon Voyage on part 2 of cruising!

@grapau27 Thank you for the link. 

@aliaschief Great photos!

@kazu I hope it's not too hard to get your excursion credit. I hope your weather improves soon.

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for safe travels for DD. Nice photos from PNG. 

@cat shepard So good to hear that your Sister got good rest last night. That will help the healing.

@smitty34877 I'm glad the sump pump is working; I grew up with one in NJ, after we had French drains put in. Continued prayers for Tana, you and the family.

@RMLincoln Enjoy going to the playhouse, and a meal out or home for leftovers.

@marshhawk Yay, for another sale. I wonder if your "friend" is just lonely? Your coffee meme is me!

@Haljo1935 Hugs to you and your family on this difficult day.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV

Father David sends me the sermon every week so I can post it in the Daily.

I'm so sorry your pain was 10/10 this morning.

I hope your surgery on April 22nd cures your pain.

April 22nd is my dear late mam's 94th birthday.

Thank you for your excellent daily lists.

Regards.

Graham xx

• Like 11

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Happy birthday in heaven to your brother Terry.

happy-birthday-in-heaven-candle.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

It was not a good night; I had a lot of pain and have been up since 4AM (only about 2.5 hours sleep). I think I dreamed I exercised, which resulted in pain. The pain was almost 10/10 this morning, but has eased off now. I want to do laundry today.

Oh damn Vanessa 😢. I wish your surgery was sooner - I just pray it fixes this for you 🙏 

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Thanks I have it figured out what HAL did (or should I say didn’t do 😉) so I know what to tell shore excursions.  As long as they can do what I can’t, it will be corrected.

• Like 12

@JazzyV  just wondering if you know the medical terms for your surgery choices... being a retired ortho floor RN, I wanted my dr to just do a laminotomy (not a laminectomy) -- he said if he did it would probably collapse in a few years & then I'd need the laminectomy & fusion - that made up my mind just to do both now instead of later.

• Like 10

Spanish wines are SO good--and so reasonably priced.  Also, because of Spanish labeling laws, the words "Reserva" and "Gran Reserva" are legally defined.  So, the consumer confidently knows that wines so labeled already have some age on them.

Today in History:

1721 Johann Sebastian Bach dedicates his Brandenburg Concertos to Christian Ludwig, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwed

Bach sent six concertos to the Margrave of Brandenburg in the hope of landing a job.  These six concertos are superb and are still regularly performed to this day.

Being a smart job applicant, Bach included a cover letter along with his gift of the six scores.  To say that his letter showed his humility is, possibly, the understatement of all time.  Take a look:

“My Lord, As I had the honor of playing before Your Royal Highness… and as I observed that You took some pleasure in the small talent that heaven has given me for music, and [as] You honoured me with a command to send You some pieces of my composition, I now…take the liberty of presenting [you] with the present concertos… humbly praying You not to judge their imperfections by the severity of the fine and delicate taste that every one knows You to have for music …”

Not only did Bach not get the job, it is believed that the Margrave stuffed the scores away and forgot about them. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

This is turning into a long day and may be a long week.  River is coughing up a storm and she sounds horrible.  She's also got a runny nose and is crabby as all get out.  Our friends asked that she take a Covid test as Covid often presents as a cold.  River threw an absolute fit with screaming and crying and carrying on.  So, dinner tonight is cancelled and I'm not sure when it may be rescheduled.  Sue told her we can't go anywhere this week since she's sick and we don't know what it might be.  That intensified the tantrum, so River is now in her room until we feel up to doing battle again.  That might be tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 14

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

This is turning into a long day and may be a long week.  River is coughing up a storm and she sounds horrible.  She's also got a runny nose and is crabby as all get out.  Our friends asked that she take a Covid test as Covid often presents as a cold.  River threw an absolute fit with screaming and crying and carrying on.  So, dinner tonight is cancelled and I'm not sure when it may be rescheduled.  Sue told her we can't go anywhere this week since she's sick and we don't know what it might be.  That intensified the tantrum, so River is now in her room until we feel up to doing battle again.  That might be tomorrow.

Hugs for all 3 of you. 

Here's wishing you a better tomorrow. 

• Like 11