The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 24th, 2024

kazu

The ham has been glazed, sparingly garnished w/pineapple and back in it's oven home for the final minutes of cooking. The house smells so good.

One of the dogs and the cat came inside - maybe they approve of the aroma and are hoping for a taste? They will not get any, but I appreciate their votes of confidence. 

Older brother called to say he's enjoying a huge serving (he won't eat it all) of world's best chicken fried steak - that sounds really good, too. Maybe I'm just hungry. 

• Like 17

Good afternoon from a sunny but still cool and windy Quartzsite.  The trip to Blythe was successful, especially since the store had everything on my list except for one item, and most of what I needed was on sale and some even had a further discount with the clipped coupons.  Now everything is put away, with most going into the motorhome.  I couldn't see putting things in the house only to haul them out to the motorhome in a day or two.

I'm now caught up, and discovered that some of the posts I thought I'd clicked on to quote weren't in the list.  I hope that I have not missed anyone.

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Ms. Crystal. Thanks.

This is RedneckBob reporting live from our stateroom aboard the beautiful and elegant N. Statendam. Wi-Fi works!!!!

RNB, I'm happy the Wi-Fi is working on the NS.  Have a wonderful cruise.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Blessed Palm Sunday to those who celebrate.

I'll salute all 3 days. The quote is true. I've never had shrimp tacos, but I would try one if someone made it for me. I like the pseudotini. I haven't been to Kiriwina Island. 3 good days in history.

It started out in the 20's this AM, but is now 38 and sunny. It was not a good night; I had a lot of pain and have been up since 4AM (only about 2.5 hours sleep). I think I dreamed I exercised, which resulted in pain. The pain was almost 10/10 this morning, but has eased off now. I want to do laundry today. I have a choice of surgical dates in April, but think I'll pick April 22, since I need to get the house together and organized somewhat before surgery. And make some soups and chili that I can freeze and have at hand. I've been watching videos by EquipMeOT on YouTube (she's very good), who has a lot of practical information (like using a walker turned backwards over the commode as a support). I've ordered a few adaptive things from Amazon. Not being able to bend or twist will make a lot of things hard to do. I think I'll ask BFF to stay a day or two right after surgery.

@RedneckBob Bon Voyage on part 2 of cruising!

@grapau27 Thank you for the link. 

@aliaschief Great photos!

@kazu I hope it's not too hard to get your excursion credit. I hope your weather improves soon.

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for safe travels for DD. Nice photos from PNG. 

@cat shepard So good to hear that your Sister got good rest last night. That will help the healing.

@smitty34877 I'm glad the sump pump is working; I grew up with one in NJ, after we had French drains put in. Continued prayers for Tana, you and the family.

@RMLincoln Enjoy going to the playhouse, and a meal out or home for leftovers.

@marshhawk Yay, for another sale. I wonder if your "friend" is just lonely? Your coffee meme is me!

@Haljo1935 Hugs to you and your family on this difficult day.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm sorry your pain was so bad last night and this morning.  I'm sending the strongest possible thoughts that the surgery takes care of the problem and you have a quick and easy recovery with no lasting pain.  The tip about turning the walker backwards over the commode for support is a very good one.  DH has a standard folding walker without a seat that he used it as support for a while.  Also, a shower seat is a very good idea until standing is very easy.  I was wondering if since you live alone, you would qualify for some help around the house after the surgery and that it could be covered by Medicare or insurance until you are able to tackle certain things again.

12 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Spanish wines are SO good--and so reasonably priced.  Also, because of Spanish labeling laws, the words "Reserva" and "Gran Reserva" are legally defined.  So, the consumer confidently knows that wines so labeled already have some age on them.

Today in History:

1721 Johann Sebastian Bach dedicates his Brandenburg Concertos to Christian Ludwig, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwed

Bach sent six concertos to the Margrave of Brandenburg in the hope of landing a job.  These six concertos are superb and are still regularly performed to this day.

Being a smart job applicant, Bach included a cover letter along with his gift of the six scores.  To say that his letter showed his humility is, possibly, the understatement of all time.  Take a look:

“My Lord, As I had the honor of playing before Your Royal Highness… and as I observed that You took some pleasure in the small talent that heaven has given me for music, and [as] You honoured me with a command to send You some pieces of my composition, I now…take the liberty of presenting [you] with the present concertos… humbly praying You not to judge their imperfections by the severity of the fine and delicate taste that every one knows You to have for music …”

Not only did Bach not get the job, it is believed that the Margrave stuffed the scores away and forgot about them. 

Thank you for the information about Bach and sharing the letter he sent the Margrave of Brandenburg.  It was very interesting.

11 minutes ago, dfish said:

This is turning into a long day and may be a long week.  River is coughing up a storm and she sounds horrible.  She's also got a runny nose and is crabby as all get out.  Our friends asked that she take a Covid test as Covid often presents as a cold.  River threw an absolute fit with screaming and crying and carrying on.  So, dinner tonight is cancelled and I'm not sure when it may be rescheduled.  Sue told her we can't go anywhere this week since she's sick and we don't know what it might be.  That intensified the tantrum, so River is now in her room until we feel up to doing battle again.  That might be tomorrow.

Debbie, how awful for River, Sue and you.  I hope she is better quickly and that you both do not catch whatever it is she has.

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

It was a busy day in Halong Bay with three ships in port. Though it was a rather foggy day it was still beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed our day excursion looking at some of the over 1,900 island. Visited a fishing village, caves and had a wonderful time onboard our excursion boat. We will spend the night here and sail tomorrow at 1PM.

Time to get ready for libations and dinner. Local cultural show onboard tonight. 
Bon Voyage Red Neck Bob and thanks for the postings. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.b2cb6b45d5a997cfa50a98f87fa35b16.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b098992a33e417af3489cedf130a70d7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.65cabc742559fc8c7fc0458129ab03ce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.404a141139835c79fefe7f1d997affec.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d7ab740f75aafdf658061017fc1e90af.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d23a49fac5395c29be3e876c16216abd.jpeg

Bruce, thank you for the pictures of Ha Long Bay.  It is an amazing place to see.  I hope we can get back there someday, since we did a tour to Hanoi that day, and only saw a small part of Ha Long Bay.

7 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s FR& D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps! A very windy start to our day, after an evening of torrential downpours and one very close lightning strike & thunder BOOM. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying that your upcoming surgery takes care of your problem - for good. 

An almost normal Sunday for me. Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks and then heading to my Sister’s to see what is happening. She let me know that she slept from 8 last night until 6 this morning. She was so happy to be in her own bed again. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, loss of a loved one, trauma. The caretakers. Thinking of you & Tana, Terry. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Beronia 2015 Gran Reserva Tempranillo (Rioja)

This Rioja sounds lovely, and I would love to add a bottle or two into my wine “cellar “.  A decent number of online distributors with online prices starting at $28.99.

Winemaker Notes

Beronia Gran Reserva is a deep maroon colour. On the nose it displays many different aromas, from fruit such as strawberry and blackberry to cocoa and black licorice, with notes of cedar reminiscent of the wood in its natural environment and notes of menthol that add tremendous freshness. It delivers distinct notes of fruit and nuts on the palate, which provide structure and tannin. The wine is long, very complex, balanced and also sophisticated.

Professional Ratings

• 92James Suckling

Peppercorn and chili chocolate to the blackberries with a hint of bark. Savory, medium- to full-bodied on the palate with dusty tannin's and a long, creamy finish.

Ann, I'm glad your DS got a good nights sleep.  I hope she follows up the the PT and the OT.  Will she be having home health visit and provide PT and OT while she recovers?

3 hours ago, sterling2 said:

I too would love to see your coaster pictures and more info about them. Thank you.

Welcome to The Fleet Report/Daily.  Please join us whenever you can.  We're a very friendly and welcoming group.

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

No shrimp ever here, but I'd like Roy's alternative. I'll be ready for it around 6:30 p.m. No on the pseudotini. There is still no Tempranillo in the FL so I'll counter with Dr. Frank's 2021 Amur, a grape originating in southern Siberia and northern China.

News of the animal world:

-- Last week JFK Airport had to call in help from the Department of Environmental Conservation to remove a seal from the runway. A local radio report from Oneonta struggled to figure out how a seal would get to JFK Airport. I guess someone there failed geography.

-- A photographer in Texas got a photo of a bobcat leaping up and capturing a heron in flight.

bobcatandheron.thumb.jpg.b20ee13f3816afef102a541384e1e171.jpg

More at https://petapixel.com/2024/03/18/once-in-a-lifetime-photo-of-bobcat-pouncing-on-heron-mid-flight/?fbclid=IwAR2dXlpN7OOYNyMFy4mmmiszijJii77iDwJp9dbCqZu_RaGMrK1g6N4cs0w.

Today there's a Purim wine and beer tasting at 2:00.  Drinking is traditional at Purim but wine and beer tastings are not; the organizers are so concerned that someone might become tipsy that they want to cut people off after two ounces (of all wines or beers combined). For what they are charging, I think they need to offer tastes of everything plus a full glass of one, at least. Then there's a Purim play, "My Fair Esther."

It's nine days since I filed my income-tax return and I'm starting to get antsy about the refund, seeing as it's the first time in a couple of decades that I'm getting one. IRS has a website that can track the processing, but a lot of the time it isn't working.

deductions.thumb.jpg.a18c0282637a1be971b4d399db24471e.jpg

Caption: You better open another bottle of wine--I'm about to start deducting household expenses.

Paul, the picture of the bobcat getting the heron is amazing.  Thanks for sharing it.

Lenda

• Like 16

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

@JazzyV  just wondering if you know the medical terms for your surgery choices... being a retired ortho floor RN, I wanted my dr to just do a laminotomy (not a laminectomy) -- he said if he did it would probably collapse in a few years & then I'd need the laminectomy & fusion - that made up my mind just to do both now instead of later.

Patricia, I'm having a MIS right L3-:L4, L4-L5 foraminotomy, using a tubular retractor. That way there will be progressive dilation of the soft tissues, as opposed to cutting directly through the muscles. She said she wasn't using a camera, so I don't know how you see what you're doing! I did read that a microscope can be used.

56 minutes ago, dfish said:

This is turning into a long day and may be a long week.  River is coughing up a storm and she sounds horrible.  She's also got a runny nose and is crabby as all get out.  Our friends asked that she take a Covid test as Covid often presents as a cold.  River threw an absolute fit with screaming and crying and carrying on.  So, dinner tonight is cancelled and I'm not sure when it may be rescheduled.  Sue told her we can't go anywhere this week since she's sick and we don't know what it might be.  That intensified the tantrum, so River is now in her room until we feel up to doing battle again.  That might be tomorrow.

Oh sorry to hear that River isn't feeling well and made a big deal about a Covid test. Has she ever had one? Is she worried that it will hurt? I'm in a study right now where I do 2 nasal swabs a week for 8 weeks and mail them away. They are seeing if wearing a health watch monitor, the data correlates in any way with the swabs. I'm done with my awful head and chest cold, so hopefully I develop nothing, especially before surgery. I'm going to be careful and mask at any medical appointments and the grocery store, and maybe PT if I continue.

22 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Vanessa, I'm sorry your pain was so bad last night and this morning.  I'm sending the strongest possible thoughts that the surgery takes care of the problem and you have a quick and easy recovery with no lasting pain.  The tip about turning the walker backwards over the commode for support is a very good one.  DH has a standard folding walker without a seat that he used it as support for a while.  Also, a shower seat is a very good idea until standing is very easy.  I was wondering if since you live alone, you would qualify for some help around the house after the surgery and that it could be covered by Medicare or insurance until you are able to tackle certain things again.

Lenda

Lenda, I've been accumulating stuff in preparation. BFF gave me his DD DF's walker. I bought slip on shoes (wearing them today for the first time), and a long shoe horn. I've got grabbers, a shower seat and a suction grab bar to put in the downstairs walk in shower. I worry about stuff like laundry, although BFF did both of ours in Germany when I had fallen on the TA nad couldn't navigate the steps to his cousin's basement. I know he will do anything he can to help me, including staying here if needed.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Patricia, I'm having a MIS right L3-:L4, L4-L5 foraminotomy, using a tubular retractor. That way there will be progressive dilation of the soft tissues, as opposed to cutting directly through the muscles. She said she wasn't using a camera, so I don't know how you see what you're doing! I did read that a microscope can be used.

Oh sorry to hear that River isn't feeling well and made a big deal about a Covid test. Has she ever had one? Is she worried that it will hurt? I'm in a study right now where I do 2 nasal swabs a week for 8 weeks and mail them away. They are seeing if wearing a health watch monitor, the data correlates in any way with the swabs. I'm done with my awful head and chest cold, so hopefully I develop nothing, especially before surgery. I'm going to be careful and mask at any medical appointments and the grocery store, and maybe PT if I continue.

Lenda, I've been accumulating stuff in preparation. BFF gave me his DD DF's walker. I bought slip on shoes (wearing them today for the first time), and a long shoe horn. I've got grabbers, a shower seat and a suction grab bar to put in the downstairs walk in shower. I worry about stuff like laundry, although BFF did both of ours in Germany when I had fallen on the TA nad couldn't navigate the steps to his cousin's basement. I know he will do anything he can to help me, including staying here if needed.

Vanessa, it sounds like you have things pretty well covered.  I'm glad you have BFF to depend on for help.

Lenda

• Like 13

Good afternoon from a chilly Wisconsin.  A lot of the snow from the other day has melted, the buried crocuses are now visible again but they look "poorly."  I'll take shrimp tacos, who wants to make them for me?  I think we're having salmon tonight.  Friday night we saw Mary Poppins Jr. at our church school.  The kids did a great job!  The songs have been in my head all weekend! ☺️  I went to a quilt show yesterday.  The quilts were beautiful, but they were all way beyond my ability to do!  @ger_77I'd also like more info about your coasters.  Last month our quilt group shared "ugly" fabric...we need to make something with it, and then our names will be entered in a drawing for a quilt to be long-armed by our longarmer! 

@dfishthanks for the recipes, I hope River feels better quickly and nobody else gets it.  

@JazzyVPrayers that your surgery helps!  DH got a kit from amazon before his THR.  He also got some slip on shoes, those have been great.  The sock-aid was  something that helped a lot, especially if you have to wear compression stockings for a while.  

@RedneckBobHave a wonderful cruise! 

Have a good rest of the day, and Yay, Marquette University won again today.  They go to the sweet 16! 🏀

Karen

• Like 17

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Yikes 😱 Poor River 😔 And poor you and Sue 😢 Sounds like it might be a tough week unless River starts to feel better or at least stops the tantrums.  Leaving her in her room for a bit is a good idea.  If she still is in the tantrum mood when you go back in to talk to her, give her a gingerale or whatever and tell her you will be back when she wants to talk. 😉 

I know she doesn’t feel well but a tantrum is not needed.   I feel for you two 😔 

• Like 13

Today's sunrise is another from my 2015 Grandeur of the Seas B2B out of Baltimore.  March 24 was a sea day from Baltimore to Cozumel:

dawn0324.jpg

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

@StLouisCruisersSandi, thanks for the photos of Kiriwina-we'll be there next January. @JazzyVBefore my hip surgery, I was given a list of exercises for my legs but nothing to increase my arm strength. Luckily, I still have good arm strength, but I did mention to my RN coordinator that those exercises should be included. It's amazing how much you depend on your arms when trying not to bend or twist. After his spinal surgery, DH spent the 1st week or so in the power recliner a friend loaned us. It made getting up-and even sleeping-a lot easier.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, how awful for River, Sue and you.  I hope she is better quickly and that you both do not catch whatever it is she has.

I hope we don't catch it either!

48 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I have no idea what the issue was.  I know both her parents feel Covid is a hoax (still) and she might have picked up on that.  Boy, was she angry.  

48 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Be careful with the suction grab bar.  They often don't stick.  I had one of those and eventually threw it out because it fell off more than it stayed on.

33 minutes ago, quilty964 said:

@dfishthanks for the recipes, I hope River feels better quickly and nobody else gets it.  

Thank you!  I hope we stay healthy as well.

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yikes 😱 Poor River 😔 And poor you and Sue 😢 Sounds like it might be a tough week unless River starts to feel better or at least stops the tantrums.  Leaving her in her room for a bit is a good idea.  If she still is in the tantrum mood when you go back in to talk to her, give her a gingerale or whatever and tell her you will be back when she wants to talk. 😉 

I know she doesn’t feel well but a tantrum is not needed.   I feel for you two 😔 

My plan was to go try and talk to her and if she was still screaming and crying to say, "I can see you're not ready to listen.  I'll try again later."  Then leave.  I'm not going to join in on the screaming match.  She was ready to listen when we went back in.  

Poor thing.  Her mom is in jail and her dad doesn't want to see her.  Her mom is looking at having her sentence increased because she defied a court order.  There was a no contact order between her and her husband because of the beatings they inflicted on each other.  She was calling him the next day.  Well, the judge found out and is not happy.  She's been calling the deadbeat all along.  Personally, I think it would be good for River if she did stay in jail longer and she'd be with her other grandma and in a stable environment.  But, this may explain her reactions to things.  Now, to help her gain control of her emotions and behaviors.  That is a long term project.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@StLouisCruisersSandi, thanks for the photos of Kiriwina-we'll be there next January. @JazzyVBefore my hip surgery, I was given a list of exercises for my legs but nothing to increase my arm strength. Luckily, I still have good arm strength, but I did mention to my RN coordinator that those exercises should be included. It's amazing how much you depend on your arms when trying not to bend or twist. After his spinal surgery, DH spent the 1st week or so in the power recliner a friend loaned us. It made getting up-and even sleeping-a lot easier.

@JazzyV  I feel like I lost a lot of strength in my quads as far as getting up went (& goes) & I agree about the suction cup bars unsticking...we had them in our bathtub & they came loose more often than not.

Edited by 57redbird
info
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, dfish said:

My plan was to go try and talk to her and if she was still screaming and crying to say, "I can see you're not ready to listen.  I'll try again later."  Then leave.  I'm not going to join in on the screaming match.  She was ready to listen when we went back in.  

Poor thing.  Her mom is in jail and her dad doesn't want to see her.  Her mom is looking at having her sentence increased because she defied a court order.  There was a no contact order between her and her husband because of the beatings they inflicted on each other.  She was calling him the next day.  Well, the judge found out and is not happy.  She's been calling the deadbeat all along.  Personally, I think it would be good for River if she did stay in jail longer and she'd be with her other grandma and in a stable environment.  But, this may explain her reactions to things.  Now, to help her gain control of her emotions and behaviors.  That is a long term project.

Bless you and Sue for understanding and helping her ♥️ 

It will be hard but so worth it. You are giving her a new childhood, bless you both and her grandmother ♥️ 

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

@JazzyV  I feel like I lost a lot of strength in my quads as far as getting up went (& goes).

My quads were weak and a reason I started PT last July, because of difficulty climbing stairs. That was before all this. I had started to get stronger, then when the leg pain got bad, I had to stop most of the strengthening exercises. When I felt good initially, after the injection, I started back on things like sit to stand. I've persevered, even with the pain back, as I want to be as good as I can manage before the surgery.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

It will be hard but so worth it. You are giving her a new childhood, bless you both and her grandmother ♥️ 

+1

• Like 9

Good Evening,  today's mission was accomplished.  We booked October 2025 on the Eurodam out of Port Everglades.  Nice shipboard credits. 

Tonight's dinner is in the lido, DH may have pizza.   Later we will watch the third new show.

I'm going to see if I can find anyone who knows about the Spice House.  Email came out today saying it's available on board. FCC said it was vague on what it is.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Thanks for the great picture and link. What an amazing site to witness.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, dfish said:

I hope we don't catch it either!

I have no idea what the issue was.  I know both her parents feel Covid is a hoax (still) and she might have picked up on that.  Boy, was she angry.  

Be careful with the suction grab bar.  They often don't stick.  I had one of those and eventually threw it out because it fell off more than it stayed on.

Thank you!  I hope we stay healthy as well.

Debbie, you may be onto something if both of River's parents are anti-vaxers and believe Covid is a hoax.  It sounds like besides a stable environment that both grandmothers are providing, River could benefit from counseling, either through her school or privately.  I don't know how to convince her that Covid is very real, very scary and the vaccines help.  I may be over stepping, if so please forgive me, but from all you've said about River, it seems someone who could provide a long term loving and stable environment should have custody of River.  I agree with how you feel about her mother's sentence being extended.

11 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

My quads were weak and a reason I started PT last July, because of difficulty climbing stairs. That was before all this. I had started to get stronger, then when the leg pain got bad, I had to stop most of the strengthening exercises. When I felt good initially, after the injection, I started back on things like sit to stand. I've persevered, even with the pain back, as I want to be as good as I can manage before the surgery.

Vanessa, we have several suction grab bars, and while we've experienced them losing their grip, we still like them.  We check them on a regular bases to see if their hold is still tight.  What we like about them, is they can be moved as DH's condition and abilities change.

5 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Evening,  today's mission was accomplished.  We booked October 2025 on the Eurodam out of Port Everglades.  Nice shipboard credits. 

Tonight's dinner is in the lido, DH may have pizza.   Later we will watch the third new show.

I'm going to see if I can find anyone who knows about the Spice House.  Email came out today saying it's available on board. FCC said it was vague on what it is.

Jake, the link below may be too much for the ship's wifi, but it's worth a try.  I tried a search in the HAL site, but it didn't work.  This is the link that showed up when I clicked on the email, something I rarely do.  There are several different spice blends which are only available on board.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/about/our-company/partnerships/the-spice-house?camp=CME:20240324_HEP2417MP4&rmid=20240324_HEP2417MP4&rrid=980913562&mi_u=029537198&mi_ecmp=20240324_HEP2417MP4&lid=primarycta&XID=EXTHEM20240324NVTJWD97Y1

Lenda

• Like 11

Good late afternoon. It’s been a chilly day with bright sunshine.

Prayers are needed for a 6year old girl who was slept away in the Darby creek in Chester 

last night. She was playing with her cousins and slipped in the mud and fell in the water. The cousins were able to get out but they were unable to hold onto her. The river is still being searched .🙏💔

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

...Jake, the link below may be too much for the ship's wifi, but it's worth a try.  I tried a search in the HAL site, but it didn't work.  This is the link that showed up when I clicked on the email, something I rarely do.  There are several different spice blends which are only available on board.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/about/our-company/partnerships/the-spice-house?camp=CME:20240324_HEP2417MP4&rmid=20240324_HEP2417MP4&rrid=980913562&mi_u=029537198&mi_ecmp=20240324_HEP2417MP4&lid=primarycta&XID=EXTHEM20240324NVTJWD97Y1

@Crazy For Cats I hope you're able to get some; looks like a great collection of spices. Thanks @Quartzsite Cruiser for sharing the link. Yum

• Like 6

@dfishI don't know who to feel more sorry for - River or you and Sue.  All 3 of you have to deal with little River's trauma and try to get her through the tantrums.  Poor little girl.  I know she's in the best place possible with the 2 of you guiding her for the next week.

@superoma, @sterling2 and @quilty964I'm attaching photos of just a few of the sets of coasters I've made.  Now, please be kind - I'm left-right dyslexic, so sewing by instructions is a challenge.  And I'm a novice sewer, so if you see the imperfections, just remember I'm not perfect . . . at all.  I found the pattern online and have followed as best I can; I've been able to use up a bunch of fabric I'd purchased when we were in lockdown that I used then to make surgical and fitted masks.  

Coasters1.JPG.74b177f2f700ae462bf9cdd831758214.JPG

CoasterCloseUp.JPG.28b12507666787eede656e93f45062f0.JPG

@Quartzsite Cruiser you asked about DH's book.  It's being written/compiled in conjunction with the University of Sasktchewan's Music Dept in that when it's finished, he will turn everything over to them and if they choose to publish it, they have his full support. If they don't publish it, it will stay in their archives as an historical reference document for others to view. 

As a lifelong educator, he enjoys research and music in particular, so this project was right up his alley.  The book is in 2 volumes - the first (around 80 pages) contains a paragraph or two of anecdotes on various musicians throughout the ages.  The second volume is strictly statistical in that he has the names of musicians - defined as "anyone who has music in their hearts".  The volume will contain their first and last name, the year of birth and year of death.  The earliest musician (including singers, composers, directors, etc), date back to Aristotle, right up to present day.  He gets most of his information from the internet, but I was able to add one from here - our own @marshhawkagreed to let her name be allowed in the book, which pleased me to no end!  If there are any other Daily-ites who play instruments and would like to be added to the book, I'd welcome an email at ger underscore 77 at yahoo dot com    Currently the second volume has over 58,000 entries - all of which DH has done himself.  I keep telling him this project is keeping him off the streets and out of pool halls!!  LOL  

Have a great evening, everyone!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Prayers are needed for a 6year old girl who was slept away in the Darby creek in Chester 

last night. She was playing with her cousins and slipped in the mud and fell in the water. The cousins were able to get out but they were unable to hold onto her. The river is still being searched .🙏💔

That is such tragic news.  I'm holding out hope that she is found.  It must have been very traumatic for her cousins, and I hope they are getting the help they need to deal with this.  Our hearts go out to the girls family and friends.

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@dfishI don't know who to feel more sorry for - River or you and Sue.  All 3 of you have to deal with little River's trauma and try to get her through the tantrums.  Poor little girl.  I know she's in the best place possible with the 2 of you guiding her for the next week.

@superoma, @sterling2 and @quilty964I'm attaching photos of just a few of the sets of coasters I've made.  Now, please be kind - I'm left-right dyslexic, so sewing by instructions is a challenge.  And I'm a novice sewer, so if you see the imperfections, just remember I'm not perfect . . . at all.  I found the pattern online and have followed as best I can; I've been able to use up a bunch of fabric I'd purchased when we were in lockdown that I used then to make surgical and fitted masks.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser you asked about DH's book.  It's being written/compiled in conjunction with the University of Sasktchewan's Music Dept in that when it's finished, he will turn everything over to them and if they choose to publish it, they have his full support. If they don't publish it, it will stay in their archives as an historical reference document for others to view. 

As a lifelong educator, he enjoys research and music in particular, so this project was right up his alley.  The book is in 2 volumes - the first (around 80 pages) contains a paragraph or two of anecdotes on various musicians throughout the ages.  The second volume is strictly statistical in that he has the names of musicians - defined as "anyone who has music in their hearts".  The volume will contain their first and last name, the year of birth and year of death.  The earliest musician (including singers, composers, directors, etc), date back to Aristotle, right up to present day.  He gets most of his information from the internet, but I was able to add one from here - our own @marshhawkagreed to let her name be allowed in the book, which pleased me to no end!  If there are any other Daily-ites who play instruments and would like to be added to the book, I'd welcome an email at ger underscore 77 at yahoo dot com    Currently the second volume has over 58,000 entries - all of which DH has done himself.  I keep telling him this project is keeping him off the streets and out of pool halls!!  LOL  

Gerry, the coasters look great, and it's a good way to use up unneeded fabric.  Years ago, a quilter in our neighborhood taught several of us how to take her left over fabric and make hot pads with them.  The fabric was cut into strips and sown to form diagonal stipes.  We used a coordinating backing and some other fabric in between.  The edges were finishing with bias tape.  Needless to say, a lot of family members got them for Christmas that year.  Unfortunately, the ones I kept are in Texas, so no pictures.

Thank you for answering my question about your DH's book.  It sounds like an involved project, and I hope it gets published.  Yeah, for Annie @marshhawk allowing her name to be added to the list.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon from WINDY and COOL Yuma, AZ! 

Thoughts and prayers to all who have posted today, we all need hugs every day for sure.

Final massage of the winter season today with a new therapist and she was AMAZING.  Then came home and it was pre-travel food prep day.  We hit the road heading to Utah this coming Thursday.  

Each day I am crossing items off the "to do" list.  Hair cut for me tomorrow!  My list is in good shape, his, well that's his problem and he will be busy for sure.

Homemade pizza for dinner, I use low carb burritos for the crust, we love it!

Stay safe and one  day at a time is all any of us can do.

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, you may be onto something if both of River's parents are anti-vaxers and believe Covid is a hoax.  It sounds like besides a stable environment that both grandmothers are providing, River could benefit from counseling, either through her school or privately.  I don't know how to convince her that Covid is very real, very scary and the vaccines help.  I may be over stepping, if so please forgive me, but from all you've said about River, it seems someone who could provide a long term loving and stable environment should have custody of River.  I agree with how you feel about her mother's sentence being extended.

Both of River's parents are idiots.  Really, neither of them should have reproduced, but they each have three kids.  River in common, with a step child in each family.  So many kids with the deck stacked against them.  

We asked the other grandma to get custody, but she doesn't want to undermine her daughter, River's mother.  And we agree that she would benefit greatly from counseling, but right now the other grandma is dragging her feet on it.  River did witness her stepdad (deadbeat) beat up her mother on several occasions.  She was responsible for taking care of her little sister and baby brother as well as act as barmaid for the stepdad.  Way too much for a 7 year old.  

33 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Fortunately, this is the first big meltdown we've had to deal with.  And while it is explainable, we do have to help her manage better.  I read somewhere that what they don't need in a meltdown is for us to join their chaos.  We need to stay calm, so putting her in her room and letting her stay there until she'll listen, is the best course of action.

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@dfish Do you think if you explained to River another reason for the test is, if she spreads it to you or Sue, you could get very ill, or worse. 

Well, not at the time of the tantrum.  Since then it has been explained to her and she seems to understand.  

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks, Jacqui!   This parenting thing is not easy!  It isn't easy with a well adjusted child, let alone one who has suffered trauma.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I saw this on the news just a half hour ago. Sadly they made it seem they are now in recovery mode, rather than search mode.

52 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Your coasters are great. Also congrats to DH on the comprehensive job he's done on the book. And yay for including Annie in there!

Well, just saw on the Book of Faces that my hair salon is closing. Boo-hiss. The owner is going to a salon out in the suburbs. But the good news is that there is another salon in the same block, and most of the folks from mine, including my guy, are going there. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2