The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday March 25th, 2024

kazu

Today is Bed-in for Peace Day, Greek Independence Day, and Holi (Hindu Holiday)

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. - Scott Hamilton

Meal Suggestion for today - Feta & Roasted Red Pepper Stuffed Chicken Breast
Drink of the Day - Mis Pelotas
Wine of the Day - Bohigas Brut Reserva Cava 
Destination of the Day - Cobh (Cork), Ireland 

Today in History:
31 1st Easter, according to calendar-maker Dionysius Exiguus
1934 1st Augusta National Invitation Tournament (Masters) Golf: Horton Smith wins with 20-foot birdie putt at the 17th hole, 1 stroke ahead of Craig Wood

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 03-26

Koningsdam

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico 11:00 - 18:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Ocho Rios, Jamaica eta 03-26

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 09:00 - 17:00 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Manta, Ecuador eta 03-28

Rotterdam

Basseterre St Kitts, Port Zante 08:00 - 17:00 

Volendam

Huahine Island, Society Islands French Polynesia 08:00 - 17:00 

Zaandam

Huatulco, La Crucecita, Mexico Riviera 12:00 - 18:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Napier, New Zealand 08:00 - 17:00 

Westerdam

Kochi City, Japan Kochi 09:00 - 18:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Colombo, Sri Lanka eta 03-

• Like 16
  • Thanks 23

Mis Pelotas cocktail:

The "Mis Pelotas" cocktail is a playful and vibrant libation that promises to tickle your taste buds and ignite your sense of adventure. Translating to "My Balls" in Spanish, this cocktail is a whimsical fusion of flavors that will have you bouncing with excitement. With its bold colors and intriguing combination of ingredients, the Mis Pelotas cocktail invites you to let loose and embrace the unexpected. Whether you're hosting a fiesta or simply seeking a unique and refreshing drink, this cocktail is sure to bring a touch of lightheartedness to any occasion. Get ready to shake things up and indulge in the delightful flavors of the Mis Pelotas cocktail.

Ingredients:

1 oz. vodka
1 oz. lime juice
1 oz. simple syrup
1 oz blue curacao
1 oz. watermelon liqueur

Directions:

1. In a cocktail shaker with ice, combine vodka, watermelon liqueur, blue curaçao, lime, juice, and simple syrup and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
2. Strain the Mis Pelotas cocktail into a glass filled with ice cubes.  Garnish the cocktail with watermelon balls.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 6.07.19 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 1

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Since HAL added the 25/26 Caribbean season sailings to the website, we had to book another cruise. 🙂  We are going on the Rotterdam Panama Canal cruise in October of 2025. 🙂 

I hope everyone here has a wonderful day!

20230318_191719.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Good morning.

It is 43°F and raining here.

3 important days today.

Interesting quote although I think most of us with Arthritis will dispute today's quote.

We sailed into Cobh on Royal Caribbean Independence of the seas in May 2018.

Prayers for everyone on our care list.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend and hopefully a lovely day today.

Screenshot_20240325_101653.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Dfish’s grandniece River sick with a respiratory illness

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness

2 crew members killed due to steam line bursting on Nieuw Amsterdam

Victims in Moscow concert shooting

Texas schoolbus struck by concrete truck, 1 child and 1 adult killed.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; Haiti unrest

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Atexsix’s DD now in hospice care

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily Sterling2

Cat shepherd’s DSis released to home

USN59-79 in Taipei

Vict0riann’s DD not requiring surgery for her fractured humerus

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Smmessineo (Rotterdam Mar 29 to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer

4 days for POA1 & Huskerchick (Rotterdam Mar 29 to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer

5 days for Ocean sounds (Zaandam Mar 30 to Apr 13) 14d Solar Eclipse & Mexican Riviera

6 days for Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam Mar 31 to April 7) B2B 7d E. Caribbean + (Nieuw Statendam Apr 7 to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure

Crazy For Cats (Eurodam to Mar 27) 11d E. Caribbean Wayfarer, Scrapnana (Rotterdam to Mar 29) 12d E. Caribbean Wayfarer, Suslor (Zaandam to Mar 30) 14d Panama Canal, Lazey1 (Koningsdam to Mar 30) 7d Mexico,  RedneckBob (Nieuw Statendam to March 31) 7d E. Caribbean, GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Apr 6) B2B 7d Mexico + 7d Pacific Coastal, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 20

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

62 right now with a high of 82 and sunny skies

I’m of Greek ancestry so hooray for Greek Independence Day as Greeks suffered for hundreds of years under the Ottoman Empire.

I’m not sure I agree with the quote.

I am in on today’s meal.

Only been to Ireland once and for only a few hours as we had to make a medical stop in Shannon on a flight from Athens to NYC.

Off to the golf course soon, we have early tee times on Mondays.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 26

Good morning friends!  It's 44 F this morning and we will experience a high of 64 with a mix of sun and clouds.  Heading into a rainy day tomorrow!

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  Some interesting days to recognize what with Bed-In For Peace Day, Greek Independence Day and the Hindu holiday Holi.  We could also celebrate International Waffle Day if I felt like making some.  Maybe go out for breakfast instead.  I think the quote is a rather broad statement what with using the word "only".  The menu suggestion sounds pretty fancy, and I'll pass on the drink and wine.  Nice that we celebrate the 1st Easter on this date and the 1st Masters tournament in 1934.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports.

Prayers were said today for DB, great nephew Alex's twin sons, friends Scott, Susan and Sandy.  Also for the people of Israel and Ukraine, hostages taken and held, our troops in the region, and special prayers for my Dailyite friends in pain, needing surgery or medical procedures or recovering from one, worry, stress and the loss of loved ones.  For our friends celebrating special events and cruisers we wish you all the best!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your work keeping the lists!  We appreciate you!

The port today is Cobh (Cork), Ireland.  DH and I have enjoyed this port before and have seen it here on the Daily three times...Oct. 17, 2021, Nov. 14, 2022 and Feb. 12, 2023.  Here are the links.

DD finally made it here yesterday at nearly 7 pm.  As usual there was a horrific tie up in traffic north of Atlanta and she was literally crawling along, finally able to get off and taking a detour routed by her Nav system.  She picked up an item for Morgan at Ikea and made it here safely.  We then went to a Mexican restaurant we like and enjoyed a meal together.  She is leaving this a.m. for Clearwater and I wish her safe travels again.  

Everyone enjoy your day and please try to stay safe, and keep well!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

We visited Cobh in 2015 on Royal Princess.  Not only did we enjoy seeing Cobh, which is a lovely town, we also went to Blarney Castle and had a great time there as well.  My best remembrance of Cobh is a purchase I made there.  A sterling silver Celtic knot pendant and neck chain.  The finish on the pendant was so smooth and well done.  I love wearing it.

My photos of our visits to Cobh and Blarney Castle.

A view of the Lusitania memorial only with wreaths laid.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIu-883K1Gvk062Y3n2spWm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189596

Cobh is a hilly place and I liked this view of the houses side by side down the hillside.  Many different colors (to help you find your own home after a trip to the pub?).00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLqVuzpCM7nMqdaEhAlezQZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189603

While walking past those homes we saw this cute little dog watching us from "their" window.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIRgQUU9Ji8wVFqCFOVLTlg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435194539

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOz76XV2-7nXgDMuz1Hbmh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189588

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6d5XSPdTFL7_8MHjg526K?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189600

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHrG2BAYU60V60PpUqQNhx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189584

Annie Moore statue00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIj5VDQyJeZgICS6iZPzriY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189572

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIqvXvCfQFQcYu-NNtf9yWp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189573

In viewing our pictures I see we were in Cobh twice on back to back cruises on Royal Princess.  The first cruise was a spring 2015 transatlantic cruise and on that one we spent our stop that day visiting Blarney Castle.  The second cruise was a British Isles cruise and that is the day we spent in town exploring.  I knew I'd been to Blarney Castle. 

A nice view of Blarney castle and someone who decided to kiss the Blarney stone.  Not an easy task!  Our group passed on it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKGhEv0ZVmG6ICqid-eKqaw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187373

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJSZDKGF2fnTUDwzMZEsm-q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187429

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxe1AaHHnmow5mJLJg18rI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187445

The spot you kiss as seen from below.  Very top center.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6LLWs2r0FBQIgnq5YQ3_Z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187389

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Happy Monday & thanks Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Dixie, Debbie & Ann.

Good collection of days - I am all of Peace but can’t bed-in today.  Neither my physio appointment nor Ivan will permit it 😉  Good quote except a bad attitude is not the only disability - at least, not IMO.  The meal & wine sound good.  We got diverted to Cobh on one cruise and it was one of our favourite stops.  Just an absolutely beautiful place and wonderful people.  Will look for pics later for you.

IMG_1711.thumb.jpeg.a0367d72b594978803211aa293b2c369.jpeg

HAL’s website worked last night and I was able to cancel my tour to the port we are no longer going to and get my HIA shore excursion back and spend it again 👍

IMG_1710.thumb.jpeg.3cf0ec30426cf0430ca5cd0da92c2984.jpeg

Quick post - physio today and I am armed with different suggestions I have been given to see which she thinks would be beneficial.  And hopefully some new ideas for exercises now that the back has been X-rayed.

IMG_1724.jpeg.53ff4d1457ffde9f2fa652e457361b5f.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating & cruising 🥂 

• Like 29
  • Haha 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cold morning here, but it's supposed to be more spring-like by this afternoon.🤞

Praying for Peace, our world needs it.

I don't agree with the quote.  I understand he's saying that you can overcome anything with the right attitude, but I don't believe that's true.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  I'd like the drink and wine too please.

I hope there's lots of good news today.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Certainly a bad time to come down with a head cold. Stayed in cabin all day and did not go with Sue on a morning excursion to downtown Ha Long. Tomorrow was one port I was so looking forward to and that is Danang where I was stationed from 1969-70. I have tested negative for Covid but will wait until morning to make a decision. At this point I would definitely wear a mask but will not go unless I improve. It is what it is and I don’t want to pass my cold on to the other couple going on this private excursion. Have a great week everyone.Thanks for all that make the daily special. Bruce

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Happy Monday and the start of another week. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny and in the 50s today. Hope to get some time outside today. Today I have to classes that end today and expect the many emails from students asking for more time to submit assignments that that had 8 weeks to do. I am also working on the last two chapters of my dissertation. Coming together nicely. I am officially beginning the countdown to my cruise at 198 days. It may be early, but I am looking forward to 10 days on the sea. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating, 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

It's Monday again. Keep pouring the coffee. Funny Cat Images, Cat ...

• Like 29

Good morning. It is already 34 and going up to 50 later. The sun is in and out.It is hard to believe that so many years have passed since John and Yoko went to their bed for peace. Hooray for Greece. I do not agree with Scott Hamilton. I have not been to Cobh. The recipe sounds interesting.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I am so glad your surgery will be done with the newer technique and devices. I am hoping that it gives you permanent relief from the pain that you are enduring.

@dfish, Debbie, I sure hope today is better. i read your description of the day to Tana and she reminded me that she and her sister were similarly distressed trying to cope with a new living situation. They staged many revolts that Lou and I dealt with the best we could! It is not that I had forgotten but time diminishes memory. I also hope no one else gets sick.

Yesterday I made quiches for dinner that were home runs. I tried the broccoli and cheddar quiche and it was delicious. Thank you Debbie! The second quiche was made with leeks and mushrooms and I have a few slices left for our lunch. We are debating between bean and cheese enchiladas or vegetarian chili.

Tana was able to take a few steps with her walker and oxygen yesterday. I tried not to hover as she and her son negotiated their way to the kitchen. She was exhausted but pleased with her efforts. 
Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

We called at Ringskiddy on our MSC cruise last year. I will look for my photos of Cobh as we sailed past.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 28

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy thank you for our maps. Some big clouds to the West this morning giving the Moon a beautiful hazy veil. It is supposed to start warming back up, so maybe my visitors in April will be able to enjoy the pool.

Vanessa, I hate that your pain has returned so quickly. Praying that your upcoming surgery gives you permanent relief. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, then up to my Sister’s. We are celebrating her birthday today. Happy that she gets to celebrate it at home. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, trauma. The caregivers. Thinking of you & Tana, Terry. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Bohigas Brut Reserva Cava

This Cava sounds delightful. Great for a celebration! Fairly easy to find and reasonably priced. Online prices start at $16.98.

Distributor notes

Ratings:

91 John Gilman - View from the Cellar

This is really a lovely bottle of sparkling wine. The grapes for this bottling are all handharvested and the secondary fermentation takes place in bottle à la Champagne. The deep and complex nose offers up a vibrant blend of apple, grapefruit, great minerality, lovely leesy tones and a topnote of dried flowers. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied and quite crisp, with lovely complexity and focus, reasonably refined mousse and excellent length and grip on the refined and minerally finish. This is a really lovely bottle of Cava that shows every sign of being able to age gracefully for a decade in the cellar. 2011-2020+

90 Robert Parker - Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

My favorite of the two sparkling Cavas is the non-vintage Brut Reserva Cava. Made from a classic blend (for this area) of Xarel-lo, Macabeo and Parellada planted in limestone and clay soils, the wine spends 24 months on its lees before disgorgement. It is an excellent value for consumers looking for alternatives to French Champagne. Lemon/lime, crushed rock and white currant notes are present in this crisp, elegant, refreshing, zesty, dry sparkler. Hints of wheat thins and brioche add complexity. 

Product Detail

Country Spain
Region Cava

Sub-Region

Color White
ABV 12.5%
Varietal(s) Xarel lo, Macabeo, Parellada

Cava

• Like 17
  • Thanks 14

11 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I do not agree with Scott Hamilton…..

Tana was able to take a few steps with her walker and oxygen yesterday. I tried not to hover as she and her son negotiated their way to the kitchen. She was exhausted but pleased with her efforts. 
Have a great day everyone!

But Terry, as difficult as Tana’s condition is, she has not given up, nor let it define her. Her attitude may not eliminate her issues, but it helps.

There are so many different disabilities that people rise above and adapt to - because they have a good attitude and haven’t given up. 

I actually agree with Mr. Hamilton. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Ann @cat shepard Happy Birthday wishes sent to your dear Sis today.  I'm happy she can be home to celebrate too.  Hope she is feeling much better now.🎂

Thank you Sandi. She has a long road ahead of her. And she has a lot of work to do. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

Today is a new day and hopefully, a better day for us all.  We have a balmy start to the day and the high is supposed to be 59F.  @StLouisCruisers I'm glad DD made it safely to your place.  That is a long drive from Cincinnati!  @JazzyV Thank you for including River's respiratory illness on the Care List.  Hopefully, that will include her trauma issues as well.  @smitty34877 thank you for your kind words.  I am hoping River can outgrow this as well as Tana and her sister did.  I'm sure Tana was thrilled at being able to walk into the kitchen!  Good for her!  @cat shepard Happy Birthday to your DSis.  

Today's meal looks like a winner to me.  I'd make that for Sue and me, but DB Bill would balk at it because of the peppers.  https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/277510/feta-roasted-red-pepper-stuffed-chicken-breasts/

roastedredpepperstuffedchicken1.thumb.jpg.c4055c8c6fb808e2e337e82ccb34397e.jpg

The stuffing in this recipe is a little different as it uses three types of cheese.  It looks pretty easy to do.  https://cooktoria.com/roasted-pepper-stuffed-chicken-breast/

redpepperstuffedchicken2.thumb.png.ef4e0eb5dc7813ae61b620986cac1d27.png

This one sounded good with pistachios added into the stuffing.  https://www.closetcooking.com/roasted-red-pepper-pistachio-and-feta/

roastedredpepperstuffedchicken3.jpg.1bc77776369684eba7497f3f71502a8a.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

@cat shepard, As always, thank you for thinking of us. I hope your sister can enjoy her birthday at home and that she is able to progress well. 
Tana appreciated your perspective and told me I have been unduly influenced by my experience with Lou’s illness! That is me, told. Ha!

• Like 26

We docked in Cobh last May while aboard the Zuiderdam and took an excursion to the City of Waterford, where we visited the Waterford Visitor Center, which has a showroom as well as a small production line.  The factory itself closed in 2009 and most Waterford crystal is now produced in other countries.  After our tour seeing how the crystal is produced, we had lunch in a nearby hotel.  On the way back to Cobh, we had a brief photo shoot of the Lismore Castle.

A couple of photos showing the beginning stages of the crystal production.

IMG_5051.jpeg.2c666d7ddbac3f7cb5cf85ad1b9b817c.jpeg

IMG_5049.jpeg.a17aeaf8071efeb45e292e47afaa2b09.jpeg

Two photos from the city of Waterford.

IMG_5043.thumb.jpeg.3669bc1ba9cfd671167f8ab96214643b.jpeg

IMG_5047.thumb.jpeg.6c715c0da5c5954200a1e93050e89c13.jpeg

Two photos from the bus ride to Waterford.

IMG_5042.thumb.jpeg.d441a28a61a7960e5db8b83d6b6431d0.jpeg

IMG_5039.thumb.jpeg.b00bf958e17a9ed2d52eaf4f6049cbdd.jpeg

Lismore Castle

IMG_5041.thumb.jpeg.1352c5b94cbd110d8f19901d254f31f4.jpeg

Two photos from Cobh.

IMG_5037.thumb.jpeg.8741109e4c7cb628f5d119ed2e38f505.jpeg

IMG_5038.thumb.jpeg.9a676a6b5b1836b54a0a2e41b79213ea.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Won’t be celebrating bed in.  Hats off to Greek Independence Day and to those recognizing Holi.  I get what the quote is trying to say.  The meal sounds delicious and unique enough to try.  The drink sounds like a festive party beverage.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today! 🍾

• Like 25