The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday March 25th, 2024

kazu

Good Morning,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.  It's a beautiful day at sea.  I went to the shops looking for the spices. They never heard of it and directed me to guest services.   I asked about it through the Navigator and they left a message to see the shops for their perfume.  Just left guest services and they have a message in to management.  They'll get back to me later.  I also noticed that this was announced on FB three days ago.

This morning we have a Mariner recognition event at 11, no indication that a lunch would follow. 

I hope everyone has a good day today. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Can't stay in bed today but all for peace in this world.  Happy Holi (the Festival of Colors) for those who celebrate it and congrats to the Greeks!  I totally agree with the quote, pass on the meal, drink and wine and never have been to the port.

It was a cool day yesterday and that will continue today.  Presently sitting at 44F only getting up to the low 60s with partly cloudy skies.  Sweater weather, definitely.  

My Fitbit "broke" on my cruise and I was not happy.  The users manual states it can go in water for a short time/shallow depth.  Well, that is definitely not true.  I barely got it wet and it "died".  It would reboot over and over so I just left it alone.  After I got back I put it on its charger and it does "work" - sort of.  The button to wake it up didn't seem to work so I put the display on "always on" and started wearing it again.  Well this morning the button works.  Not sure how long this will last but I swear I won't buy another one!!  I had been wearing a fancy watch I bought in Hong Kong but I want the activity monitor.  Oh, well!

Thoughts for the world and cheers for those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26

Posted (edited)

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  I like the Bed-in-for Peace day idea, wish those a Greek connection a great day, as well as a great holiday for Hindus.  It is also Maryland Day.  On this day in 1634 the Ark and Dove brought the first European settlers to what is now Maryland, landing near the mouth of the Potomac River.

I think the two days in history are both worthy of celebration although I am not into golf.  Hamilton quote seems partly true.

I visited Cobh just once, in 2011, on my first modern HAL cruise, a Rotterdam 6 transatlantic.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Cantaloupe, Pineapple, and Orange, Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy, and Cranberry, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Zaandam March 25, 2017:

dishes25.jpg

A cold start to the day but it should warm up pretty well.  I finally got my federal tax return accepted yesterday.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

But Terry, as difficult as Tana’s condition is, she has not given up, nor let it define her. Her attitude may not eliminate her issues, but it helps.

There are so many different disabilities that people rise above and adapt to - because they have a good attitude and haven’t given up. 

I actually agree with Mr. Hamilton. 

Today's quote for sure.   Great comments! 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites from a stormy morning with thunder, hail, and I think I saw a few cats and dogs falling from the sky..

Did someone mention the Carnival Freedom fire?

Today we go to a Nephrology appt for Allen. He had labs on Wednesday but results are not on my-chart yet. The clinic is 20 miles away and I hope the storm settles in the next few hours. 

I am on the fence with today's quote. A good attitude gets us through some hard times, but there are times a good attitude is not enough.

Prayers said for our Daily-ites, friends and family. I found out we have 2 neighbors in hospital. One for a collapsed lung, and another with complications from her MS. No need Vanessa to add them to the care list.

These wars, threats, bombings, innocents losing their lives and loved ones, it's heartbreaking. I had a dream last night that I was hiding in the dark with bombs going off around me. I'm sure the storm triggered it, but it felt very real to me when I awoke.

Time to get moving. I wish you all the blessings this day holds.

Wishing @cat shepard DSis a Happy Birthday. 

Go Tana on those steps!! 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I remember the bed-in for peace that John and Yoko held; it made the front page of our newspaper.  If someone were to try it today, they'd likely end up with bedsores before peace around the world actually came to pass.  Hurray for Greek independence, and Happy Holi to everyone who celebrates the festival of colours.

It's clear and cool again this morning with a temp of -14C (6F), and we're not looking at thawing temperatures until possibly Thursday when we'll creep above the 0 mark to +2.  I've already told our grandsons to make sure they bring their winter jackets, boots, and snow pants, as there's lots of snow to play in when they get here on the weekend.  It could end up being sloppy wet by Sunday when the forecast is telling me is will be +5, so I'd better make sure to have the bag full of gloves ready to replace the wet ones.  That's something I'll bet not everyone has in their house - a bag full of gloves in various sizes.  We also have a basket of slipper socks so guests have something to wear on their feet in the house in the winter after taking off their boots.

@cat shepardwishing your DS a very Happy Birthday and good luck with her recovery.

@smitty34877I'm happy to hear Tana was able to take a few steps to the kitchen - hopefully she'll get stronger bit by bit and be able to venture farther.

Thanks for your kind words about my coasters yesterday - as I said, I'm not very good at sewing, but figured I'd try to make use of the fabric I had on hand.  BTW, the size of the coasters is 5"x5" if anyone is wondering.  Initially I'd seen them on Pinterest, then went to YouTube and found a tutorial, and the rest is history.

Not a lot on the agenda today, laundry, and maybe heading out to the Salvation Army with another few bags of things.  After cleaning out one of the the spare bedrooms, I realized there were 2 bags in there that hadn't been donated in a previous run, so we'll get them taken care of today.

The drink of the day sounds like fun - the name made me laugh - and I might order it on a BHB.  I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy the Cava, and today's menu suggestion sounds tasty - I particularly like the idea of pistachios in the last one.  DH loves sunflower seeds, so I could see putting that in instead.  I've got a couple of pork chops thawing that will be pounded, breaded and turned into schnitzel and we'll have that along with parmesan potatoes and asparagus at the dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Bedding-in for peace sounds like a publicity stunt. You'd have to be a celebrity for anyone even to notice. I will wear a cap with the Greek flag today.

I might like the suggested meal but it's another that I couldn't make at home. No on the drink. For the wine, Hermann J. Wiemer Cuvée Brut 2018, newly released.

Screenshot2024-03-25at09-31-10GlasbergenCartoonsbyRandyGlasbergenforMarch242024GoComics_com.png.b4486a5122cab60315bb1c341e4201ff.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 8

Good cool and sunny mid morning. 
It’s currently warmer in Juneau than it is here.

Rain tomorrow night . it’s hard to believe that Sunday is Easter. 
I did kiss the Blarney Stone on my visit to Ireland , somewhere there is a picture of it.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 26

Posted (edited)

Good morning.   A day of house cleaning and catch up today.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports and the maps Jacqui and Roy.  Thanks for your dedication.  A good quote today and  can recognize all those days.  I thought today's cocktail read a winner until the melon liquor.  Today's chicken recipes look yummy, we have feta but don't keep chicken breasts in the house,  I guess boneless thighs could be substituted.  Cava is always a favorite for me!  Thanks for researching these for us each day.  Thanks for the lovely photos of Cobh today! 

@JazzyV I hope you had a better night and although you are facing surgery you will be happy that you will be getting permanent relief.   Prayers for everyone on our care list and those in areas of conflict,  Ukraine, Haiti, Israel and the innocents in Gaza.   

Our Syrah/Shiraz tasting was delightful.   Each time we go to these wine events we meet new people and have vibrant conversations.  Each table was six people and one couple immigrated to Canada from the Netherlands 50 years ago and the other couple was a former WMU professor and his wife from Melbourne, Australia.    Each table got 7 bag disguised bottles of various Syrahs brought by the attendees.  It was a grab bag that ended up with three Australian, two French and two from the US at our table.  Our overall favorite was the Aussie 5 out of 6 votes was the Mollydooker The Boxer at the whopping 16% alcohol.   Then the remaining 1/2 bottles were all rebagged and we drew lots by bag number and we ended up with one of our wines we brought Torbreck The Descendant. As odds would have it we ended up drawing another bottle of Torbeck brought by someone else.  At least we ended up with two we liked.   To keep from drunkeness each pour were 150 ml measured in a beaker so there was 1/2 bottles remaining.  I hope they use the same venue and do a repeat.  So many of the events are multi-course meals at local restaurants at a high price.  Too many times, goat cheese and lamb are offerings, not my faves and the next one had octopus too.  An easy pass on that one.  Have a lovely Monday!   Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  I did think yesterday was Monday most of the day.  But there were definitely Sunday chores to do.  We ended up shopping at Krogers  instead of the farmers market, mainly because we had to get the CAT food.  So a one stop shopping day!  But there was Michaels, and the Bird place, and the pet store.  We bought a play tube for Tigger.  He liked the fuzzy ball at the end of the tube, and after a while I noticed a ball of stuffing on the floor, it was so poorly made that the ball came apart.  within 3 minutes, and that seemed to be the end of the play time in the tube.  Time will tell.

So today is Monday (seems like Monday squared.)  Brava! for Tana to make it to the kitchen with the walker! @smitty34877

I too like the quote.  I got a call before 9 am yesterday from my "friend" Don who procrastinated seeing drs or going to appointments and tests last year because he didn't like the "people" and he wanted to always get another opinion.  By the time he ended up in the hospital it turned out that he had stage 4 cancer of his right kidney, which had spread to other areas of his body.  He tried chemo and completed 2 out of 6 sessions, said he didnt like the way it made him feel, then he hired a company that would come in and feed him through a tube, which he did for 2 months, gained weight, and when he started feeling better, got back in touch with the docs and said he would try the immunotherapy. Which he is supposed to start today, but he didnt want to go, he had a rash, and wants to find out why, he no longer trusts his doc because he changed the type of immunotherapy before he started, and I scratch my head when MR NEGATIVE complains that no one calls him, that no one cares.  Well we do care, but when he wont address the problem, at some point we have to stop caring.  
And , and this is just me, if you tell me I am going to die and all you are doing is prolonging my life, in a way that is full of pain, when I dont want to live then why bother?  Why not live out the rest of my days the way I want. Sorry about my rant.

My mom died from cancer.  She didnt like the way the treatments made her feel.  She knew it was terminal.  She made her amends to those she hurt, and lived out the rest of her days the way she wanted. I understood.  My uncle asked my permission to do the same when he wa diagnosed.  He had it. 

Years ago one of our neighbors (and this was when I was in high school) overdosed on drugs, he was not dead, but his sister broke into his room, slammed the door open so hard, it hit him in the head as he was lying there, and that's what killed him. 

And that is my weird story for the day.

@dfishI hope that River is better today, that you don't catch whatever she has, and that you were able to  explain to her that older people are more susceptible to catching things because our immune system isn't as good.   

I want to take a Southern Caribbean cruise on HAL in spring 2026.  When will those be posted?

cruise-memes-scaled.jpeg

My-expression-when-someone-says-I-cruise-too-often.jpg?w=940&ssl=1

Monday-Cat-Meme-Funny-Image-Photo-Joke-09.jpg

• Like 24
  • Haha 4

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise, from my 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  March 25 was a sea day on Crystal Symphony from Nuka Hiva to Pitcarin Island.

dusk0325.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Beautiful sunshine here today but still quite chilly. A good Holi Day to those who celebrate it. 

Thanks for the Fleet Report and maps everyday!  I enjoy seeing where all the ships are, so many good memories of being in these most of these ports. And tracking friends cruising now, always fun to follow!  

Thank you Vanessa for the Care, Celebration and Cruising lists. I don’t know how you cope with such pain. I’m sorry you have to wait so long for your surgery. 
DH’s eye pressures are up and down. He’ll go to eye doctor Thursday. I hope he’s not going to open the last suture yet but they know more than I do. One day recently that eye pressure was at the bottom of our instrument’s measurable range, sure don’t want it lower!  Other eye has been running high some days, waiting for surgery April 23. Trying not to let it make me crazy, grateful we’ve made it this far with such expert care!  

Happy birthday to @cat shepard’s DS at home! Yay!  And Yay for Tana walking!   

Scott Hamilton had a lot to overcome in his life as an orphan, childhood disease, cancer…. to become a gold medal winner!  So that is his personal perspective, and I think he stands as encouragement to all who are dealing with adversity.  

DH and I enjoyed our outing yesterday to local community theater and the Pompton Queen Diner, recommended by one of our Dailyites!  It felt good to get out in our new environment for some fun!  Today it’s back to administrivia. Glad we can!  

Blessings for all in need of healing, comfort or hope. Thinking of Sarah, Pauline and Graham as you continue to deal with loss and abuse. 
And for River, Debbie and Sue… the paradoxical saying comes to mind that No good deed goes unpunished. Hoping you all can have a better day today. 
Blessings for peace in the world, in my country and yours. 

Hoping Bruce is improved enough to go on the excursion he was so looking forward to. 

Smooth travels to all away, all our cruisers. Thinking of Sandi’s DD, her drive to Morgan’s, and my DGD and her DH flying back today from Idaho via Seattle! 🤦🏼‍♀️. The weather looks pretty good across the country🤞 

Hoping everyone can enjoy something today!  Maureen 💐

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

For those of you who have cruised out of Port Canaveral what city would you use for directions.  I got the mapquest address and it says Port Canaveral but my car garmin does not recognize that city.  Help please.

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

For those of you who have cruised out of Port Canaveral what city would you use for directions.  I got the mapquest address and it says Port Canaveral but my car garmin does not recognize that city.  Help please.

Google maps shows Cruise Terminal Drive, Port Canaveral, FL 32920 for the parking area, and gives directions directly to that parking lot.  Would Cruise Terminal Drive work as an address?

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, summer slope said:

It doesn't recognize Port Canaveral as a city.

That's odd.  It certainly is a verified city because we stayed at a hotel overnight there before and the address contains Port Canaveral, FL in it.

• Like 11

Posted (edited)

Some good days to celebrate and a couple important days in history; although, I don't think anybody would notice if I "bedded in" and there would be no positive impact on World Peace. I agree attitude is powerful, but sometimes it's not enough, so I guess I'm not aligned w/the quote.

I will eat around the peppers in the meal, try the drink and wine, not been to the port.- the pictures look nice.

Happy Birthday to your sister @cat shepard 🎂🥳

@aliaschief I hope you feel better soon 🤒🤧

Thank you to all who thought of me and my family yesterday - it meant a lot. Hugs and prayers to those going through similar.💔🙏

No work or PT today. Bought the pups new chew bones and enjoying the morning watching & listening to them. Dogs do love a new bone.🐶

Tonight will be leftover ham with pork stuffing/dressing then we move to ham sandwiches, ham salad, ham & beans...yum!

It really rained last night - just dumped, a lot. It was 59° headed to a wet 73° when I checked this morning.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240325_043559.thumb.jpg.24d4f9ce6216a4b79cd92c8f13f49dcc.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Annie @marshhawk I just looked and they have 8 southern Caribbean cruises posted from January through March, 2026.  The March ones are out of Miami.

If you include all of the Caribbean there are 50 cruises from January thru May. The Zuiderdam has quite a few from Miami; others are from Fort Lauderdale.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2